Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870731 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5200 on: May 29, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Last year, Davis's novel, Master and God, was published. It is set in the time of Domitian. This year, saw what looks like might be the start of a new series featuring Flavia Albia, Falco's adopted daughter, called The Ides of April. So, after one change of venue, Rebels and Traitors (English Civil War), she is back to writing about ancient Rome.

Steph

« Reply #5201 on: May 30, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
Just started Linda Castillo's  Breaking Silence.. I think I have read another in this series, a while ago. I do like it, although the Amish there seem more stand offish than the ones I grew up in Delaware.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5202 on: May 30, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
Reading a new (to me) Donna Leon "The Golden Egg." Boy, if you ever complain about the government here, don't move to Venice!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #5203 on: May 30, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »
Has anyone read The Black Country? I am not much of a mystery reader although I do like Agatha Raison but this book sounds interesting after I read a Sample on my Kindle - just not sure if it continues to be worth the time to read it. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5204 on: May 30, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5205 on: May 30, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
I never know whether to mention the books I read that I DON'T like. read one called "Tote Bags and Toe Tags." Part of a whole series of cozies based on the fact that both the author and detective love purses. Some other titles in the series "Purses and Poisens", "Clutches and Curses" etc.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/dorothy-howell/

As one who just bought her obligatory "once every 10 years whether you need it or not" new purse, I have a hard time relating to a narrator who spends all her time thinking about what purse to carry, and what one to buy next (when she's not thinking about how to avoid having to do any work). But some of you may feel differently.

Steph

« Reply #5206 on: May 31, 2013, 08:21:29 AM »
Sounds like another person who is writing books to order on topics. I tend to read one of the series and then avoid it like the plaguefrom then on.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5207 on: May 31, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
Just got Albert's latest China Bayles mystery "Widow's Tears".  So far I've never been disappointed with this series.  Joank, i always enjoy Donna Leon's books and thought I had read them all, but I definitely don't remember "The Golden Egg".  I think I might have missed that one.  Will have to check the library.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5208 on: May 31, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
I just finished Nickolas Sparks' Safe Haven which someone called a romantic suspense. Obviously, if it's NS it's a romance and there is suspense, but i found it predictable. Some reviewers on Goodreads said they never saw the ending coming.........really? I thought it was obvious what was coming, but kept reading to see how it played out.

When my husband read The Notebook he said,"that's written by a woman! No man would write such a perfect man!" Well, the perfect man is back in Safe Haven, thoughtful, considerate, accepting. I see it was made into a movie. I didn't know that. Have any of you read it?

Steph

« Reply #5209 on: June 01, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
I read all of one and part of the second of Nicholas Sparks, but gave it up. Too too goey and predictable.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #5210 on: June 01, 2013, 07:24:46 PM »
Wow what a great description - that is how I see all his novels.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #5211 on: June 02, 2013, 08:02:09 AM »
He makes pots of money. People seem to love sentimental type romance.. Just not a favorite of mine. Reading a John Sandford..latest in paperback.. Lucas is a serious police type.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5212 on: June 02, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
Just finished the latest Anne Perry, Thomas Pitt book "Midnight at Marble Arch". I do wish she wouldn't have all those trials -- her strength is in depicting emotions, NOT in logic. And the law is about logic. My logical mind cringes at her lack thereof.

Having said that, I'm glad she deals with the problem of rape, and how it shames the victim. How do you stop a serial rapist,  when his victims keep quiet or fear of being blamed?

Steph

« Reply #5213 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:29 AM »
In real life, it seems our women in the military have this problem They end up being blamed because a male who is higher in rank than they are takes what he wants. I think this is so far beneath human behavior to make the man into some form of beast.

Frybabe

« Reply #5214 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »
Well, it didn't take me long to read Carol Goodman's, The Sonnet Lover. It was a good story, written in the same style and similar plotting as her others. Always a female academic or academic/arts association, a mystery and a personal problem, intertwined, to be solved. Her protagonist, as usual, over-thinks things and dismisses her gut feelings, jumping to wrong conclusions which get her into jeopardy as she tries to untangle a mystery. I had the bad guy pegged early because her main characters in her books consistently and stubbornly refuse to consider certain persons even if there is evidence that that person is lying or otherwise shouldn't be trusted.

The story is set in New York and in a villa near Florence. The mystery is whether or not a certain woman is Shakespeare's "Dark Lady" to whom or for whom he wrote sonnets. Was she also a poet? Did any of her  own sonnets survive although the legend is that she destroyed all before she was forced to seek asylum in  a nunnery? There are hints that the sonnets were found by student who was planning on making a film about them and the Shakespeare/Dark Lady connection. The student supposedly commits suicide (yeah, right). The villa is to be the setting for the film, the home of the sonnets, and the current owner (who wants to bequeath the villa to the college in NY) is embroiled in a lawsuit over ownership. Oh, the love interests?  Current - president of the college. Past - married Italian professor who she had an affair with 20 years before. So, after two murders and several attempted murders, our heroine finally figures it all out. The book ends in England where she is tracking down a possible site where Shakespear may have met his Dark Lady.

According to her book, Shakespeare wrote his sonnets primarily for or about this Dark Lady and some guy. It is not a story I have ever heard. I have not studied nor read his sonnets. I haven't looked into it yet, nor have I looked up the Uffizi she mentions several times. Right now, I am trying to type sitting on the floor because Oscar has commandeered my computer chair. Please excuse any typos I may have missed.

Oh, I've started her Arcadia Falls. We are back to teaching at a private academic arts school as a widow with a teenage daughter in tow this time. It also looks like we are back to a fairy tale connection. Only into it by two chapters so far.

As much as I like her writing, I think her main characters are becoming a bit too predictable.

Steph

« Reply #5215 on: June 05, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »
I have trouble getting into her books.. I am reading non fiction just now. The Covert Affair, which was supposed to be about Paul and Julia Child..However I find this is a misnomer to make you b uy the book. It is mostly about two women that I find unpleasant who also worked for the OSS during the war in the same areas, plus the author is plugging the theory that one of thewomen appealed to Paul more than Julia..Bah humbug..

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5216 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
Well, if she did appeal to Paul, it's a good thing it fell through.  The Child marriage was a great thing for all concerned.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5217 on: June 05, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
Read "At Risk" by Stella Rimington

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/stella-rimington/

I think I've mentioned Remington before. In real life, she was a spy for MI5 and eventually became the first woman to head MI5. So presumably her spy stories are realistic. This one was good, fast moving, suspenseful, but some human interest. Told from both the spy and spycatcher's point of view: with one as the alterego of the other.

MaryPage

« Reply #5218 on: June 05, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
I saw the movie THE NOTEBOOK, but I did not read the book.

Steph

« Reply #5219 on: June 06, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
I am 3/4 through The Covert Affair and finally she seems to be able to at least mention Julia and Paul and falling in love. I am truly disappointed in this book. I love pretty much everything on Julia Child, but this is an author who uses a famous woman all over her book reviews and not much in her actual book. I think she adores the other two women.. ONe is OK, but the other should never have been in OSS, spent her entire time sleeping with the world and drinking herself into a stupor and this author seems to admire her.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5220 on: June 08, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
I'll read any mystery set in Alaska. But I'm disappointed in "the boy in the Snow" by Mcgrath.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/melanie-mcgrath/

Billed as about the iditarod, it's mostly about things that happened during the time of the Iditarod, but are unrelated to it. It has the elements of a good book, but too many different plots stuck together (Iditarod, trafficking in young girls, religious minorities, Alaskan politics). it's like a bad recipe where a bunch of good ingredients are mixed together and fight with each other instead of blending.

Too bad. I remember liking her first. For the Iditarod, try Sue Henry, "Murder on the Iditarod Irail".

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/sue-henry/

Steph

« Reply #5221 on: June 09, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
Like you, I do love books on Alaska. I dont have them with me, but did buy a whole series of books in Sitka, written by a man, allmysteries and excellent. If I still had a memory, I would remember his name. It will come, but not just now.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #5222 on: June 09, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
Aren't the Dana Stabenow books set in Alaska?  I have enjoyed the ones I have read so far.

Rosemary

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5223 on: June 09, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
Just got Donna Leon's latest book about Commissario Brunetti The Golden Egg.  Thanks Joank  for mentioning this book.  I didn't realize she had a new one.  Looking forward to a good read.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5224 on: June 09, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Steph, his name is John Straley.  In 2000, we went to an Elderhostel with several days at a group of seminars in Sitka.  We heard him speak - an interesting guy.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5225 on: June 09, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »
Glad to help, jean. that's what this site is for.

I hadn't heard of John Straley, but here he is:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/john-straley/

I've got a sample of his first (the Woman who Married a Bear)on my kindle. Ahhh, instant gratification! (somewhat damped when i get my credit card bill).

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5226 on: June 09, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »
Aren't the Dana Stabenow books set in Alaska?  I have enjoyed the ones I have read so far.

Rosemary
They are.  And you're right, Rosemary, they're good.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5227 on: June 09, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
Yes, the Stabenow books are set in Alaska, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #5228 on: June 09, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey was set in Alaska.

Julia Spencer-Fleming has a new book coming out on Guy Fawkes Day called Through The Evil Days.  A Reverend Clare Fergusson book!

Steph

« Reply #5229 on: June 10, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »
Yes, Strahley... I loved his books and read at leas five. Dont know how many he wrote.A excellent writer who can surprise you. He made Alaska quite real to me and would have loved to hear him in person.
I am reading the very first Cara Black, since everyone talked of her.This first one is dark indeed..But good.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5230 on: June 10, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »
I just started a Cara Black: I liked the first one, didn't finish the next one I tried. This is the tie-breaker, I guess.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5231 on: June 10, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
And a sample of The Snow Child on my kindle, too. I won't let myself buy a kindle book til I've finished my library books, though.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #5232 on: June 11, 2013, 03:23:51 AM »
I see on Dorothy (the University of Kent's regular mystery/thriller update) that someone called Ellen Ehrig has said how much she is enjoying McGrath's 'White Heat', also set in Alaska:

'The book is M.J. McGrath's "White heat" which takes place in the far north
of Canada-on and near Ellsmere Island in Nunavut.  The sense of place is
absolutely amazing.  I've read lots of books set in Alaska, but Ellsmere is
so much further north that Alaska might as well be in the lower 48.   At one
point mention is made that the nearest tree is 1000 kilometers south!

The story involves a Inuit woman, who is both a hunting guide and a part
time elementary schoolteacher, who looks into the deaths of men she has been
guiding and then someone in her family.  She is looked upon by many as a
troublemaker.  The descriptions of life in such an environment was
absolutely fascinating.

Took me a while to get into it, but once I did it was a page turner.'

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #5233 on: June 11, 2013, 08:18:15 AM »
This first Cara Black is dark indeed, so I am using it in small doses, so picked up an older book that I know a lot of you read, but I never had. The Camel Club.. Sort of weird thus far, but I know people really seem to like him.

CubFan

« Reply #5234 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
I agree Steph.  I too have started the Cara Black books and have read two of them. I find that just a couple of chapters hold me for a while and I read something else.  I find them interesting as they use  the technology but need something lighter at the same time. I have also started Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti series which I am finding interesting and well written.  I like the characters and the interpersonal relationships.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5235 on: June 11, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
I also have "White Heat" on my kindle, been meaning to read it.

Of the Stabenow book, the one I want to reread is the one set on a crab fishing boat, "dead in the water". When I read it, I could not follow her descriptions of what they were doing on the boat. Now that I've become a fan of Deadliest Catch on TV, a reality show about crab fishermen, I can reread and understand it.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/dana-stabenow/

Steph

« Reply #5236 on: June 12, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »
Put down the Camel Club, dislike conspiracy type books.. ThCara Black is fascinating. I find myself wanting to be in Paris and walk the streets with her.
I am having one of those weeks, where I  pick up and put down half a dozen books.. Cant settl.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5237 on: June 12, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
I really enjoyed Donna Leon's latest " The  Golden Egg".  Also read "Widow's Tears", the latest China Bales by Albert.  This latest book is more about Ruby, her very interesting friend and business partner.  It really fleshes out her character.  Now I have a couple of Raine Stockton dog mysteries by Donna Ball On my iPad I bought with my Kindle app for $3.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5238 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
Just like Steph,I have started 4 books and can't keep a interest in any of them. I even downloaded to my IPad one so could read in bed "Mary Coin"still can't read it.
Got swollen feet today, so humid. I have the DVD of the life of Pi, think I will watch it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5239 on: June 12, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
FlaJean: I also read through the Donna Bell mysteries. Time to check if she has a new one.

And look for "Widows Tears."

It looks like I'm with those of you who have to read a little Cara Black and put her down for awhile.

Read "Princess Elizabeth's Spy", the second in a series about a woman mathematician who is a spy and code-breaker in world War II. here she is undercover in Windsor Castle, trying to foiled a plot against Princess (now Queen) Elizabeth. The plot is interesting, the portrayal of children Elizabeth and Margaret charming. But somehow the writing didn't hold my attention. We must all be suffering from mystery-itis, or something.

(But oh boy did I relate to trying to be a woman mathematician in those days. Been, there, been through that as the only woman math major in my university!)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/susan-elia-macneal/