Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870626 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #7000 on: December 23, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is new to me, too. But I'm willing to try it, if everyone else is game. I've started to read the book, and it raises all kinds of question (to me, anyway -- unfamiliar as I am with autism).

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #7001 on: December 24, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
 I think it's really an exciting a concept that you've come up with here,  a lot of people wanting to informally comment  on one  book right here and I just wanted to respond with another exciting concept.  Hahaha I tend to speak somewhat telegraphically, which is a nice way of saying incoherently, hahaha.  Without a proper explanation. Like an electric jolt haha, that the poor listeners have to figure out what on earth  she just said.

We'll see how it works this time right in the discussion , and then future we may consider this other thing.... Tome,  yes you can definitely see it, but at the moment it's not enabled , in this discussion.  

Kind of complicated to set up, some of our technical staff   are on holiday and can't do it, so let's just wait till a later date.   At least the possibility has been raised to the future.

I do appreciate all the recommendations in here.  I'm reading The Hen of the Baskervilles, just delightful. I'm so glad somebody here  recommended it, something a little light and cheering for the holidays. We do have chickens here on the farm so I'm particularly enjoying it.  

I'm also reading a Christmas mystery called 10 Lords a Leaping.  This is a different book, is huge in hardback, and it really plunges the reader into a completely different world, a sort of Downton  Abby / Masterpiece Theatre style, and apparently the author actually knows the titled of Britain intimately himself.   They are a bit different from what I expected.     Jury is  still out on that one, have just started,  but I read about it here, and again appreciate the head's up....apparently it's a series and I've missed the first two.

Hope you each have a wonderful holiday, no matter  how you spend it.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

MaryPage

« Reply #7002 on: December 25, 2014, 07:43:18 AM »
And a Merry, Merry Christmas Morning to All!

My book arrived in yesterday's mail.  Woo Hoo!  Now first I have to finish reading Red Bones by Ann Cleeves.  Speaking of which, the second hour of the film made of this book will be on PBS UK tonight at ten-thirty Eastern Time, and I shall be glued to my telly for it.  SHETLAND is the name of the series.

But then will begin Estelle Ryan's The Gauguin Connection.  This is what amazes:  this book was published in 2012.  Only in 2012.  And is the FIRST in a series which already includes:
The Dante Connection
The Braque Connection
The Flinck Connection
The Courbet Connection

How does she DO it?  Obviously she is on a mission.  But how does she do it SO FAST?

http://estelleryan.com/contact.html

http://estelleryan.com/the-gauguin-connection.html

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7003 on: December 25, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS.

With my bad memory, I can't remember whether we said we'd read The Gauguin Connection after Christmas or after New years?

GINNY: we've got you reading mysteries! If you like The Hen of the Baskervilles, you might enjoy the others in the series, starting with Murder with Peacocks. I think her earlier ones are even funnier.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/donna-andrews/

The same author who wrote 10 Lords A-leaping wrote an earlier series with Queen Elizabeth II as the detective (yes, the present queen). The narrator is a maid in the queen's palaces, and there are lots of tidbits and gossip about the royals and how the households run (nobody but the queen can stand her dogs who tend to nip all the servants in the heels).

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/c-c-benison/

Both series have parts that drag, but if you can get past those, they're very good.

mabel1015j

« Reply #7004 on: December 25, 2014, 11:39:41 PM »
I think the suggestion was made to start discussing TGC after Jan 1. I'm looking forward to reading it again. One of the things i remember, besides it being a good mystery, is that the author gave Genevieve a sense of humor.

Thanks for the links MaryPage.

Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #7005 on: December 26, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
Yeah, I thought after January one as well and all.  And frankly, I NEED the respite!  Have so much to do before I even start the book, and, unlike most of you, I have not gotten into it one tiny speck, and so will be reading along as we discuss. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #7006 on: December 26, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
Joan, I looked at his website and it appears he's a Canadian !  I wonder how  he can have such familiarity with the Titled in England, as he  does....that's quite interesting ....I mean his dedication to this book is to some Titled friends.   I wonder if he  made it up, he is a novelist after all?

I always liked Dr. Seuss, Theodore Geissel, the best.   He didn't  have a PhD, so we gave himself the title Dr.  Seuss.

Yes, and Hen  of the Baskerville's is a cozy. So it's going on the list of one of my new things for this year. I'm also going to read the First Man in Rome which is an historical novel by Carson McCullers, something else I don't normally read.
:)
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Steph

« Reply #7007 on: December 26, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
They sound workable.. and keeping us out of the general discussion while we decide how we feel about our heroine and the people surrounding her.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #7008 on: December 28, 2014, 10:42:01 AM »
I just read, or rather tried to read David Baldacci's The Escape.  I have liked Balcacci's books, especially his Camel Club series, but The Escape, the latest of his John Puller series was disappointing. Puller is a military police investigator.  His older brother, Robert, has been imprisoned for two years of a life sentence at Leavenworth, Kansas military prison, but escaped.  John decides to try to find him. The story would lead you to think it would be about one thing, than go on to something else.  It mentioned too many govt. agencies, but often only by their iniutuaks and nothing about their purpose.  A young woman, a member of one of those govt. alphabet agencies is assigned to help him.  Puller is suspicious of her, more so at times than at others, but why his change in attitude is confusing.  Also at times you are led to believe the two will have a romance, but that does not happen.  This book was so confusing I almost tossed it several times, but I did manage to finish it just to see if he found his brother and to see if his brother was found not guilty of espionage, but I would not recommend the book to anyone.  I hate to write a bad review for a David Baldacci book, as most of his I've read have been very good.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #7009 on: December 28, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
Steph wrote "Other than Carre, never read the spy stuff.

I have found Le Carre's books very hard to read, mainly because of all ths spy jargan in them.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #7010 on: December 28, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »
I moved to the link shown for the "new" mystery corner section but if shows as the Old 2009 section.  Is there something wrong with my computer?

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #7011 on: December 28, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
Time to move to a new discussion area....

See you there!!

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=807.msg37006#msg37006

I forget who posted this, but when I clicked on this link it took me to a 2009 area, not a "new" discussion area of the Mystery Corner.  Am I the only one who had this problem?\

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #7012 on: December 28, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
The only Matthew Pearl book I could finish was his THE LAST DICKENS which I liked.  The others (The Dante Club and The Poe shadow were really boring IMO.

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #7013 on: December 28, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
If a book's description says it's a "coming of age" story, that finishes it right there for me, and I go no further..

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #7014 on: December 28, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
Mary Page wrote:  "My book arrived in yesterday's mail.  Woo Hoo!"

What book was that, Mary Page?

MaryPage

« Reply #7015 on: December 28, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »
Well, sorry, I thought it would be obvious, but I erred.  I meant THE GAUGUIN CONNECTION by Estelle Ryan which we are to begin to discuss on January 2nd.  Is that right?  January 2?

I got the latest Margaret Maron, Designated Daughters, for Christmas, and a whole pile of others and a bunch of Barnes & Noble gift cards.  Am overwhelmed by how rich I feel surrounded by bookcases and piles and stacks of books enough to last just about forever.  Some guilt, too.  But more avarice than guilt!

marjifay

« Reply #7016 on: December 28, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »
The link to the PBS Insp. Lewis program shows it will be aired Sept. 6, 2009.

Marj

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #7017 on: December 28, 2014, 04:12:06 PM »
Marj,
Time to move to a new discussion area....

See you there!!

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=807.msg37006#msg37006

I forget who posted this, but when I clicked on this link it took me to a 2009 area, not a "new" discussion area of the Mystery Corner.  Am I the only one who had this problem?

Marj

Where are you seeing this? I can't find it anywhere? Page 1 of this discussion, which is what your link above sent me to, is September 16, 2009. We're now on page 176.

On the Gauguin, we decided (see posts 6997 and 7001) that we will just go ahead as normal and discuss the Gauguin right here.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7018 on: December 28, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
I believe GINNY had trouble setting up the separate site for the Gauguin discussion, and it's on hold for now. I'll get back to you on this.

January 2 is right.

MaryPage

« Reply #7019 on: December 28, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »
I am half way through the book now, and looking forward to the discussion.  A dear, dear friend, who is also sister in law to my oldest daughter and auntie to two of my granddaughters, just celebrated her 70th birthday the day after Christmas.  Those granddaughters threw a huge surprise bash for her (she thought she was just going over for dinner and cake and ice cream.)  I did not feel up to going, and was running way late on the matter of sending her an appropriate gift.  It occurred to me she would love this book, so I ordered the first 5 in the series on line and had them sent directly to her.  Then I emailed her photos of the two paintings and told her to listen to the four Mozart pieces.  She is intrigued and on pins and needles to know what the gift is all about.  At this point, I don't think she has guessed books, but one thing I know for certain:  she has NOT read this book.  Ergo, she has not read the other four.  She is as avid a reader as I, so I am feeling a bit ahead of the game.

salan

« Reply #7020 on: December 29, 2014, 04:02:16 AM »
I have finished the book & ordered the 2nd one in the series.  Thanks to the person who recommended it!  Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop.  Can't wait for the discussion.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #7021 on: December 29, 2014, 09:14:39 AM »
Now I can go back to Gaugin with a clear conscience.. Ha... I was feeling guilty at starting it.
My love for Carre was for Smiley.. I don't read LeCarre any more, but I adored Smiley.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7022 on: December 29, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »
I was feeling guilty too.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7023 on: December 29, 2014, 04:18:52 PM »
I'm halfway through, to. What a great gift --I love Mozart, and am looking forward to discussing why she copied his pieces, rather than others.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7024 on: December 29, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
I've confirmed: we'll be discussing the book right in the regular section: the separate site idea didn't work for some reason.

But I don't want to scare away those of you who aren't interested. Keep coming in and tell us what you're reading. Many of us will be reading two or three books at a time anyway.

salan

« Reply #7025 on: December 29, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »
Joan K, That works for me.  I always have at least 2 books going & sometimes as many as four!
It depends on the  mood I am in and how engrossing the book is.
Sally

mabel1015j

« Reply #7026 on: December 30, 2014, 12:49:11 AM »
I'm so glad you all have latched on to the Connection books and are enjoying them so much. I got the Gauguin about 6 months ago for free, online, and thought it was a very interesting mystery. I wasn't sure if others might think it too esoteric, but i mentioned it anyway since so many of us have people on the autism spectrum in our families.

I can't wait til i get to read the others. I recommended to the library that they get the whole series.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #7027 on: December 30, 2014, 06:42:41 AM »
I've started reading the book. So far, interesting. I also have been watching the Scorpion TV series which features a group of high functioning autistics - or is it just one with the others having other problems? Anyway, we have one mathematical genius, one mechanical genius, one computer genius, and one who is some kind of psych whiz. The latter seems more bipolar to me than autistic what with his gambling compulsion; his genius is in probability and stats, and, I expect, reading body language.

Steph

« Reply #7028 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
This is going to be fun and yes,, do tell us of what else you are reading. I always have several books going and the Ryans are all on my Kindle.. I have read two by Deborah Coonts.. Las Vegas about  a woman named Lucky, who works in a high end hotel.. Light mysteries.. very funny and a bit too too over the top, but still fun.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7029 on: December 30, 2014, 12:58:36 PM »
The Gauguin Connection is one of the most interesting mysteries I've read in a while.  Thanks to Jean for suggesting it.

MaryPage

« Reply #7030 on: December 30, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
I am enjoying it hugely, and I thank her as well!  Over half way through it now!  Would be all done, but there have been places to go and people to see and chores to do and magazines and newspapers to get through before they overwhelm me and I get too far behind.  But I love it and would like to just sit and read it!

Steph

« Reply #7031 on: December 31, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
I have been immersed in Snuff, a Terry Pratchet, but will be able sometime today to get back to the Ryan book.. I needed a Pratchett to get through the last few days.. I save him up for down times.. He has the ability to make me laugh about life in general.

salan

« Reply #7032 on: December 31, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
Steph, I've never read Terry Pratchett.  What book would you recommend to read first?  He sounds like an author I need to read!
Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7033 on: December 31, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »
I've been trying to get my sci-fi loving sis to recommend a  Pratchett book to start forever, and all she'll say is that they vary a lot in quality but the best are great! Help, Steph.

MaryPage

« Reply #7034 on: December 31, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
Yes, I second that call.  Help, Steph!

Steph

« Reply #7035 on: January 01, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
It all depends.. Pratchett ( who is English) writes satire disguised as
Science Fiction. His world  Discworld.. started many years ago..  The color of Magic was the very first one. You can read them in order or any way you like.. If you like witches, Wyrd Sisters will start you  off.. Death,, well there is Mort all about the grim reaper and his attempt to find a successor, Going Postal,, (lets start a post office by mistake), Monstrous
Regiment,, a most surprising book about war. on and on and on All funny and very sharp satire as well..
Hmm now as to Estelle Ryan,, The attack upset me.. Four truly ugly humans,, I did not expect this.. Whew..

MaryPage

« Reply #7036 on: January 01, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
Pratchett does not sound like my thing.  I do not like fantasy.

As for the attack, she survives, Steph.  I mean, I do not feel I am blowing the ending for you here, for there are, after all, FIVE (5) books full of her adventures AFTER this one!

2. The Dante Connection
3. The Braque Connection
4. The Flinck Connection
5. The Courbet Connection
6. The Pucelle Connection

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #7037 on: January 01, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
Well, I finished the book and enjoyed it.  One of the best mysteries I've read in a while.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #7038 on: January 01, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
I agree. Which grabbed you more: her character, the other characters, the mystery, the detective process that they went through, (the music?)?

It's typical these days in mysteries that the detective will be attacked or in danger at least once. I don't mean to sound callus. That seems to have become part of the genre recently. I don't remember Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot getting banged up. Have our mysteries  become more violent?

MaryPage

« Reply #7039 on: January 01, 2015, 05:57:53 PM »
What entrances me most is the way Jenny (I will call her what Colin calls her) can read people.  That is a strong thread, if not indeed a rope, throughout the book, and I love it.  Because we really need to be in her head to follow her thinking as she visualizes, it is pleasurable to have the book narrated by her.  It also gives a warm and lovely feeling that she is so surrounded by an intense variety of strong men who are devoted to her like a pack of sentinel dogs.  Not a perfect protection, obviously, but one full of devotion.  Would that I had such a retinue at MY beck and call!  There are definitely "in your dreams and fantasies" elements to this storytale, but I'll take 'em!  This book offered me flowing pleasure, and I reveled in being Jenny.