Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870516 times)

Singagain

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #600 on: March 16, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Reply to #590, Mrs Sherlock:  Thanks for giving a synopsis of the book by Kristin Davis...I will have to check that out.  I can usually find something to read at the library, but occasionally I get stuck when I've read all the latest from all my favorite authors so I'm always looking for someone new in that vein...it's actually how I've found most of my current favorites.  I forgot to mention in my other post, Maude Silver the sleuth invented by Patricia Wentworth, who wrote at least 40 books in the earlier part of the 20th Century, say from 1926 on.  Those have evil deeds but they aren't grossly described, and the mystery usually is fairly hard to figure out until the end when it's revealed.  Ellery Queen, actually, is like that, too.  An interesting series, written in the early days also.

Frybabe

« Reply #601 on: March 16, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Singagain. Mom has read all of my Cat Who books as have my sisters. The Mrs. Murphy series books have been going to my sister in New York. I don't think Mom has read any of them yet. I haven't read any of Brown's Foxhunting series yet. The last two you mentioned are new to me. I will check them out.

Mom is into her fourth Agatha Christie book, which has four novels in it. Mom is also spending more time with her crossword puzzles. Since the birds are back, and her window is looking out into a courtyard with a bunch of birdfeeders, she has requested I bring over her bird identification book.

mabel1015j

« Reply #602 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:03 PM »
Lisa Scottoline has a new book out - Think Twice. She was on a local Philly tv station this morning and will be at local book stores signing books. She said the ending has a twist that she didn't see coming. She doesn't do outlines for her books, she just writes and what happens happens - it fascinates me when i hear authors saying that the characters did something they didn't see coming............or when songwriters say the music just came to them. ................ Lisa's dgt also is writing fiction, she didn't say what her name was or what kind of books she is writing, i'll have to do some research to find out.............

I just saw this on a bio page about LS:

All nine Rosato and Associates books have been purchased by Fox TV Studio for development into a TV series.
. I'll look forward to those.

She's also an animal lover. A collection of her column in the Phila paper, Chick Wit, is titled "My Third Husband Will Be a Dog." This is a link to her bio ............. http://scottoline.com/Site/About/
jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #603 on: March 16, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »
I loved My Third Husband Will be a Dog.  One essay told of her discomfort when she had a medical emergency and didn't realize until she was in the waiting room that she was braless!  As one who wears DD and goes around the house sans bra I roared with laughter.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #604 on: March 16, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
SINGAGAIN: WELCOME WELCOME!

I like those mysteries, too. There's another series with cats that talk and solve mysteries, but don't let humans know they are doing it (they give anonimous phone tips). I can't remember the author. Who knows?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #605 on: March 16, 2010, 04:13:44 PM »
FRY: is your mom a birdlover? I fed birds in my house, but don't have a place to do it here in my apartment. I really miss it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #606 on: March 16, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
Joank:  The talking cats are author Shirley Rousseau Murphy's creation.  They live in a California town, Carmel, called Molina Point, which has a smallish population.  Joe Grey lives with Clyde; Dulcie and Kit are also cats with the talking/reading gene and reside with human "keepers".  The cats are useful in crime solving since what they see and hear (who pays attention to a cat dozing on the limb of a tree?) is related to their humans; they also use the telephone to contact the MPPD when necessary, puzzling the police chief as to the identity of his informant though he comes to trust the tips.  It is better to read these in order since there are various threads appearing.  Great fun if you can "believe" that talking cats exist.  http://www.sylviaengdahl.com/joegrey/mystery.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #607 on: March 16, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
JoanK, Mom (also a Joan) is a casual birdwatcher.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #608 on: March 16, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
Watch out for that "casual". It tends to turn into "fanatic".

Frybabe

« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »
 ;D

Steph

« Reply #610 on: March 17, 2010, 05:47:08 AM »
Rita Mae Brown writes in all sorts of genre. She is a talented woman who is happy with herself and her life after sort of a rough beginning.
I love Marcia Muller..not as much as V.I., but still her books have a little grit that is good..I am reading a mystery about a White House Chef.. Sort of more drawn out than it should be.. Not sure why everyone should be against her, but that seems to be the message. This one is about Eggs,, There are two previous ones that I have not read..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

salan

« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2010, 05:53:38 AM »
Oops, I just lost another post.  I wish I could figure out which key I accidently keep hitting!!  A number of years ago I got "hooked" on hummingbirds.  We lived in a very small rural community and I put up a hummingbird feeder.  Well, I was swarmed.  So, I bought another larger feeder.  Before long, I had 3 large feeders and 3 smaller ones.  I have never seen so many hummingbirds at one time!  I almost went broke buying sugar.  I worked at the time and would fill all the feeders before I went to work, and had to make more food and fill them again when I came home.  I spent almost all my free time fixing food, filling feeders and watching the hummers.  I got a small pair of binoculars so that I could study them better.  I figured that I must have been on a migratory path and that food was scarce.  It was especially exciting in the spring and fall when unusual hummers were migrating.  They got very bold and would fly up to our screen door or screened windows and "buzz" me when their feeders were empty. 
I now live in town and have one small feeder.  I have never seen more than 6 hummers here. 

About 6 years ago a pair of bald eagles built a nest right off the highway about 7 miles away.  They have been returning every year, laying eggs and raising their young.  The highway dept put up a sign and built a turn off so that people could watch.  So, I am guessing that this qualifies me as a bird watcher.
Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #612 on: March 17, 2010, 11:12:49 AM »
this morning as i heard the Canada Geese overhead (my son calls ir Rush Hour as they fly to and from the ponds they ged down in each night) I pondered the volume of their noise, the constant honking.  Do flocks of other birds call to each other as they fly as the geese do?  I've never heard them but they are small and usually quite high.  Crows call as they fly singly from tree to tree.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #613 on: March 17, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
 Did you know that when geese are migrating, if one of them is injured or becomes sick, two
others will follow it down, protecting it as best they can, and stay with it until it recovers or
dies?   And they change leaders as they fly,  as the leader becomes tired and rotates back.
 It's always fascinating to watch a flock of birds lifting up from a rest stop, as they swoop around until everyone is oriented and in place, then take off.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #614 on: March 18, 2010, 06:18:50 AM »
 Dont think we get geese this far south, but I grew up in Delaware and that area gets the geese going south.. They are fun to watch.. Faithful until death, I heard somewhere.
Went to a panel on mystery writers.. Tom Howe and a woman.. Both published, but not popular. They were interesting however. I was surprised how many people in the audience raised their hands when asked who was writing a book.

mrssherlock

« Reply #615 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:57 PM »
Elmore Leonard fans, a new series on FXTV, called "Justified"  started the week.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/justified/
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #616 on: March 19, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »
Finished Eggsecutive Orders by Julie HyZy yesterday.. This was third in a series and I must look up the earlier ones. This is the kind of book, that you need to read in order and I did not realize it.

Frybabe

« Reply #617 on: March 19, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »
Odd that I never heard of Elmore Leonard. Don't recognize any of his book titles, but do remember some of the films. Didn't realize Russel Crowe did a remake of 3:10 to Yuma.

mrssherlock

« Reply #618 on: March 19, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
I erased "Justified" from my DVR.  By actual count there were a gazillion gunshots and the camera focused excessively on the death throes of bad-guy victims who were shot in the chest.  Definitely a testosterone special.
Jackie

mabel1015j

« Reply #619 on: March 19, 2010, 12:02:38 PM »
Just finished Elliot Roosevelt's Murder in the Rose Garden. I've read about a dozen of his and they're just fun; it's most fun to speculate about how "true" the "known" characters are. The first one i read had a lot of interaction betwn FDR and Churchill......He gives Eleanor a marvelous sense of humor and less of the "lady-like" stereotype that we get of her in newsreel footage..jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #620 on: March 19, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »
Mabel: I've read a lot of his, but not that one. I like the ones about Eleanor too. He wrote other mysteries, too and they are unreadable.

Steph

« Reply #621 on: March 20, 2010, 06:09:43 AM »
 I suspect Eleanor may have had a sense of humor. What I read about the family makes me believe she had to.. She needed to survive a toxic mother in law,, children who could not come to grips with life and an unfaithful husband.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #622 on: March 20, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the Elmore Leonard link, Jackie.  I'm not really a fan of his, and the only bookof his that  I've read and enjoyed is Killshot.  And that's because the film company shot part of the film here in Cape Girardeau, and part of the book is set here.  Actually, my f2f group and I were surprised that Leonard was so knowledgeable about Mississippi River lore and the barge companies that featured in the story.

Several years ago when I would frequent the public library I would often run into an elderly gentleman from my church.  He was a mystery fan and we could often compare writers.  He was especially an Elmore Leonard fan, but, he said, "I'd never want Dorothy (his wife) to read any of his books."

Phyll

« Reply #623 on: March 20, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
...He gives Eleanor a marvelous sense of humor and less of the "lady-like" stereotype that we get of her in newsreel footage..jean

jean, when we lived in upstate New York we lived only a few miles from the FDR home and library.  We had taken guests there one weekend and a little sports car came buzzing up the driveway and stopped at the side of the house.  Eleanor unfolded from it...gave everyone that big toothy grin and a wave....and walked on into the house.  One of those unexpected moments to remember.  

I picked up Carol Goodman's, Arcadia Falls, at the library yesterday and started it last night.  I like the way she writes.  I haven't gotten into the story enough to know if I am going to like the plot or not.
phyllis

nlhome

« Reply #624 on: March 20, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
I just read the first in a "cozy" series, The Cold Light of Mourning by Elizabeth Duncan. I may have heard about it here. It's set in Wales, and I enjoyed the different setting and the characters. The author introduced too many things, I think, in this first book and too many coincidences, but I have found that with the first book in other series as well. A second book will come out this summer, and I'll be interested in reading that to see if it's got more depth to it.

Steph

« Reply #625 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:04 AM »
I think that I enjoy Margaret Trumans government series more than Elliotts.. She seems to have had a gift for a thumbnail sketch that nails what was happening.

mabel1015j

« Reply #626 on: March 21, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »
Just finished "Fleece Navidad" by Magggie Sefton..........it was fun and had a unique story, and i was not sure til almost the end who the culprit was.....................jean

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #627 on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »
I have just finished "The Broken Window" by Jeffery Deaver.  It was one in the series about Lincoln Rhyme.  It was about identity theft and it surprised me that there are companies which do data mining.  This means that they gather detailed data about groups of people.  Public agencies such as police departments and the Federal Bureau of Investigation buy their data from.  It was enlightening and frightening to think of those who get caught up in something by them.  I certainly can recommend this to those who like lots of action and detailed computer explanations.

Steph

« Reply #628 on: March 22, 2010, 05:58:11 AM »
Deaver is just one of the authors that I have problems reading. No idea why, but he has never held my interest enough to finish the book.. May try again with this one though. Identity theft is an interesting topic. I once worked for a financial analyst who bought these lists of identities to market to them. Interesting. you could order by income, zip code,employment, house ownerships, etc. etc. etc.

Babi

« Reply #629 on: March 22, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
PHYLL, in the genre of 'unexpected moments', I had a most memorable one.
During my one visit to London, we attended a Gilbert and Sullivan 'opera'
at a historical theater whose name I forget.  As it turned out, Queen
Elizabeth and Prince Phillip were attending that evening. Coming out,
everyone in the lobby was asked to stand to the side as the royal couple
exited. The queen passed close by where I was standing and I remember
her smile and beautiful complexion clearly even now. The highlight of
my stay, naturally.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #630 on: March 23, 2010, 06:28:08 AM »
Oh Babi, I am so envious. We saw her once in her range rover leaving for the weekend. Driving herself. corgis bouncing in the back and a glorious ( Looked like a golden) lounging all the way in the back.Security had to ride in their own cars..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #631 on: March 24, 2010, 02:41:25 PM »
The PBS Masterpiece Mystery schedule upcoming looks great, except no more Wallendar. But three new "Foyles War."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/mystery/index.html

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #632 on: March 24, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »
Thanks JoanK.  That looks very good.
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #633 on: March 25, 2010, 06:31:08 AM »
I picked up the Tamar Myers.. The Witch Doctors wife.. Looks like a neat book.. Her cozies are really really light, but this seems a bit more realistic..

Phyll

« Reply #634 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
Thanks for the link to the PBS Mystery schedule.  I printed it out and I'm really looking forward to the new season.  All of my favorites this year.  I liked Wallendar pretty well but found it a little depressing.  He was always way too "broody" for me. 

I finished "Arcadia Falls" and though I think Carol Goodman's style of writing is very good I didn't particularly care for this book.  To be frank, it all seemed a bit silly to me and had been done so many times before and so much better.  I will have to read something else by her before I make a final judgement of whether I like her books or not.
phyllis

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #635 on: March 26, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »
Thanks, JoanK, for the news on the Masterpiece Mystery schedule.  I was so happy to hear that there will be 3 more Foyle's War.  I've got all the past DVDs except the last series which I still need to purchase.  My husband and I have watched them more than once over a period of time.  The same way with certain books.  I have some books I have read 3 or more times over the years and always find something new in them.

Steph

« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2010, 01:32:32 PM »
I am still working on several works at once.. The Witch Doctors wife is sort of neat..I have not done more than start on Scarpetta.. and the Ordinary Wife has all of my attention. I cannot seem where she is going..

winsummm

« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
WOMEN SLEUTHS COLLECTION    here

http://www.amazon.com/tag/women%20sleuths/ref=tag_psr_ct_itdp

and mostly on my kindle

ah heaven   sigh
claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
I charge my kindle books to my amazon account.  last month there were eight, abot normal for me now with all my time is MY TIME.  and golden.

claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #639 on: March 27, 2010, 06:17:30 AM »
I am still so undecided about the Kindle.. Does the Barnes and Nobel thing look like a Kindle.. I want to see one before I buy.