Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 868487 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #400 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK    

Yes, JoanK, I'd surely like to visit the town of Three Pines.  Several years ago I attended an Elderhostel in the Eastern Townships of Quebec.  It was really neat.  We'd hear lectures about the history of the area and then in the afternoon visited craftsmen in the surrounding towns. I've been Googling now, to see if I can remember the town where we stayed, but unfortunately not, although I do remember the Auberge du Joli Vent which was our host, and it is apparently still hosting many programs there.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #401 on: January 26, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »
Sounds like a lovely and interesting trip Pedlin..I sure do want to read about the place.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #402 on: January 27, 2010, 06:25:45 AM »
Did I mention the Marcia Talley book, I just finished.  Through the
Darkness. Its a Hannah Ives book, but somewhat different from the others. Still quite good, although child abduction is not a favorite subject of mine.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #403 on: January 27, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »
Yesterday,at the library,I found one last Diane Mott Davidson book i hadn't read   - The Cereal Murders........i'm about 100 pages in and she's spending a lot of time describing people's clothes??? and of course much about food. In fact, it seems to be more than is usual in her books. I like her characters and have enjoyed her books, but i'm skimming thru this one..................jean

Steph

« Reply #404 on: January 28, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
Is that a new Diane... or an older one. The title seems familiar.

mrssherlock

« Reply #405 on: January 28, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
When I see a title/author which appeals to me it goes on my library reserve list.  The order in which I receive the books is somewhat random.  By chance I have three books by men on my bedside table right now and I flip back and forth  between them.  Also I just finished a mystery about two military policemen in Korea during the 1970s.  Maybe any one of them would be OK but with three I feel like I'm drowning in testosterone.  These are all books I found on lists of award nominees and most such decisions are probably made by men, so why am I surprised?   Because most of the books I read these days are written by women as I found when I scanned my library history. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »
Yes, I have a few male authors.. but many many more female now. Still I just picked up the new Michael Connelly in paperback yesterday. I do like him.

peace42

« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2010, 06:26:26 AM »
Again, been a while since posting. My Computer has been giving me fits, disconnecting me from the Internet all the time> will have it checked it out soon. Have spent the last 2 weeks watching the Australian Open Tennis Tournament and it’s down to one last match, the men’s final. Just finished watching the Women’s final…sure wish Australia was on the same time as Michigan! Haven’t done a lot of reading I’m afraid. Did finish the Agassi book; have always been a fan of his but there were some things in the book that bothered me. He did admit to using crystal meth, openly and willingly. When he failed a drug test for the ATP, he had to write a letter to them which he did; however, he lied in the letter about taking the meth, saying his soda was  spiked by a “friend” whom he named. He was believed, there was no suspension, no consequences. He never apologized for the letter, which did bother me a lot. But, he also has done so much good with his money, he has a wonderful marriage with Stefi Graf and 2 beautiful children. He’s done well for an 8th grade dropout, which is why education is so important to him. Interesting book and I would recommend it. …in other reading
*The Last Precinct - Patricia Cornwell - been a while since I’ve read any of hers..now I know why..wasn’t bad but, well, wordy wordy..angst filled  tome - liked her books when she first came on the scene but, well, just got tired of her stuff
*The Closers - Michael Connelly - good as always - Harry Bosch returns to the force working cold cases -
*Mistaken Identity - Josh McDowell & Ed Stewart - Christian mystery/romance - pretty good - little hokey and schmaltzy but that’s ok..sometimes hokey and schmaltzy is needed
*Hope To Die - Lawrence Block - a Matthew Scudder book - do like Block and his Scudder series - this one kind of plods along but it also builds and builds to a strange and unexpected ending…always will read another of his

Was so sorry to read of Robert B. Parker’s death - Spenser was a favorite; now we’ll never know his first name!

As always thanks for providing new and fascinating authors to select from.

Sleep well and read a ton of books in this new year

Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Steph

« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2010, 06:31:48 AM »
Am reading a new mystery writer to me. She writes in the style of various mystery writers. I read the Nancy Drew one and now am on the Dash Hammett one. Interesting.. She is a tad too too on her clothes ( only classic old stuff), but they are not bad.

Babi

« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
STEPH, you forget to identify the author.  You may have mentioned her
before, but I missed it.  ???
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
I am almost finished w/ my first Deborah KNott mystery by Margaret Maron. I have enjoyed it. This one is titled Slow Dollar w/ a story about 2 murders at a traveling carnival. Reminded me of the fun of going to the local carnivals when i was growing up...........french fries w/ vinegar, hot dogs off the rolling grill - some how they always tasted better than any hot dogs i can grill at home, carnie games, etc.

I think i'm fortunate to have read this one first because she is just started her relationship w/ the deputy sheriff as more than a best friend............interesting concept, marry your best friend w/out regard to being in love, just because you both are at the point in your life when you want to be married - tired of dating - want to settle down. Knot asked "are we settling? What happens if someone comes along that we think we can be 'in love' with?" Would make a great book grp discussion........... ;D ;D ;D ............looking forward to reading more of the series and to seeing what happens w/ the relationship.............jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »
PEACE: I'm with you. I've been staying up at night watching the Australian Open, then sleep late, and the day is disrupted. I know it will be rebroadcast today, but do it anyway.

I didn't want either player to lose last night. (Won't say who won, in case someone doesn't know) but was glad it went three sets.

"The Cereal Murders" is an old one. Easy to miss one going by.

I know what you mean about "drowning in testosterone". My f2f group is reading one now: "The Janissary Tree" by Jason Goodwin. It should be good: it's by a historian who has lived in Istanbul, about that city in the 1830s. But the detective is a eunuch. and practically every sentence is a reference to that fact. Someone calls him a "freelance detective", and he thinks it's a reference to his lack of you-know-what. The book also has enough writing flaws to make it almost unreadable. I'm trying to support the group by finishing it, but it's a struggle.

Steph

« Reply #412 on: January 31, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
Aha.. Babi you are right.. Susan Kandel is the author and the book is Shamus in the Green Room. She is an interesting writer in many ways, but too involved in this antique classic clothes and must tell you exactly what she is wearing and why. I am not interested in clothing to that extent.
Margaret Maron.. Oh I do love Judge Knott. Many happy books to read for you. She is so good. She comes from the area and she makes it so real for you.

Babi

« Reply #413 on: January 31, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »
STEPH, I suspect too many authors have latched onto the idea that
you can expand your novel considerably by including lots of irrelevant
details.  It seems to be more and more prevalent, and I'm unwilling
to spend my precious reading time on it.  I think I will pass on Ms. Kandel.
Thanks for the post.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

nlhome

« Reply #414 on: January 31, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
We happened to be listening to public radio on the way home from lunch. Whatever program was on, the host was interviewing a biographer of Patricia Highsmith, the author of The Talented Mr. Ripley and many other books. It was a fascinating look at that author - the name of the biograph is The Talented Miss Highsmith.

Although I know I've read some of her books, I haven't been able to enjoy them recently and I'm not sure I even want to.

Steph

« Reply #415 on: February 01, 2010, 06:23:17 AM »
Yes, Ms. Highsmith was a truly odd human. She did write good books however.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #416 on: February 01, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »
Jean, go back and start with the first Deborah Knott -- The Bootlegger's Daughter.  One of the fun parts of reading Maron's Judge Knott series is getting acquainted with her family.  And they just keep growing on you.  She's just absolutely one of my favorites.  And what's also neat is the way each book (or most of them, anyway) seem to focus on a particular job area -- like the carnival in Slow Dollar.  ONe of my favorites is (yes, I've said it gazillion times) is Uncommon Clay, and now I want to go to Sea Grove and see all the pottery.  Another really nifty one is the one set in High Point, about the furniture industry.  Jean, you'll have a ball.

Steph

« Reply #417 on: February 02, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »
Pedlin.. Go to North Carolina mountains and see the pottery places. There are literally dozens in various areas. All different. The clay there is conducive to pottery and I have taken some classes at John Campbell in pottery. Alas.. being a clay artist is not in my future, but I did love the classes.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #418 on: February 02, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »
And wasn't it fun - just being at John C. Campbell?!?!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #419 on: February 02, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
 Me, too, STEPH.  I definitely have an eye for beauty....but not the hands!
 :-\ :'(

mabel1015j

« Reply #420 on: February 02, 2010, 12:32:23 PM »
Starting my first J.A Jance mystery...........jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »
Oh, jean!  You're in for such a treat!  Which series did you start with? ;)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
Huckleberry Finished is the title of a new book in the series of literary tours books by Livia J Washburn.  Delilah Dickinson owns a tour agency in Atlanta and her newest tour, which she is leading herself, is a cruise on a paddle wheeler north from St Louis to  Hannibal, MO, Mark Twain/Samuel Clemmon's home town. When one of her tour members is busted for attempting to bust the roulette wheel operator for cheating, he is forbidden to continue the cruise and ordered to disembark at Hannibal.  Delilah, fearing the backlash his scuffle will cause her agency, she vows to personally see that he leaves the boat as ordered.  When they pull up to the Hannibal dock,  he is nowhere to be seen.  Soon Deliliah learns why:  he has been murdered and his body stuffed into a tool locker in the engine room.   

This is the second of the literary tour books and it's fun.  The story is enriched with references to Mark Twain's life, his writings and travelogue-type descriptions of the Mississippi and the town of Hannibal.  Characters are well drawn, the clues are complex and the denouement is satisfying with no loose ends.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/livia-j-washburn/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
That sounds really good.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2010, 10:56:53 PM »
My mother who is almost 103 years old and who has just been put on Hospice care was reading that book, Huckleberry Finished when I visited with her tonight. She does not use anything as sophicticated as a Kindle even though her vision is impaired she uses a simple magnifying glass to read her books and work her cryptograms.  She is an amazing woman.

Steph

« Reply #425 on: February 03, 2010, 06:19:10 AM »
I love John Campbell and try to go each year. What I will do this summer is hard to predict. No roommate and am not sure how I feel about rooming with a total stranger for a week.  But I recommend it for everyone. It is like being back in the old farm days with communal meals, lots of activities, no tv, no phone.. Lovely lovely place

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #426 on: February 03, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »
What would you take, Steph?  You could get  a single room.

Babi

« Reply #427 on: February 03, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »
103 and still reading, JOAN. That's our kind of lady!

Then, too, STEPH, whatever roomie you had would be the kind that wants to spend her time at John Campbell. You're bound to have things in common. If you can find the energy, I'd vote for 'Go!'.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #428 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:33 AM »
My former next door neighbors retired and moved to Brasstown not quite two years ago.  They had been involved with the school for years, Jack teaching dulcimer making, and Sally other arts and crafts -- she does so many things.  Just found a link to one of them  --  Folk art

Steph, you won't have a problem rooming with someone you don't know. Seniors do it all the time.  Babi and I didn't know each other and we roomed at the SeniorNet Books get together in DC 7 or 8 years ago.  We're still speaking, aren't we, Babi   :D

I roomed with a complete stranger at an Elderhostel once and it worked out fine.  Babi makes a good point, you'll have things in common.  And you stayed at the guest house in Isle of Palms without having laid eyes on any one there.

Joan, that's great, your mother is still able to read and wants to.  Wonderful.

mabel1015j

« Reply #429 on: February 03, 2010, 02:00:29 PM »
Mary - my Jance book is the Johanna Brady series "Outlaw Mountain." Is that the way she spells her name? The book is upstairs. When i read I only pay enough attention to names to know who is doing what in the story. After i finish a book i often don't even remember the names of the characters. ........... are any of you familiar w/ Myers/Briggs profiles? - i guess that's a true difference between J types (detail people) and P types (concept people)........ ;D ;D ;D.............i am way up on the P type scale..............jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #430 on: February 03, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
jean, I'm an artist - so I don't know what that makes me. ???  But anyhow, I love the Joanna Brady (I think there's no 'h', but I'm not sure) stories.  Another thing we like about Jance is that she is very true to the geography.  You can follow her characters with a road map.  We're "map-o-philes".  ::)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: February 03, 2010, 10:58:59 PM »
JoanG, that is wonderful that your mother is still reading. She seems like a remarkable person.

nlhome, thanks for the information about the Patricia Highsmith biography. I'm now on the hold list for the book at my local library.

How wonderful that some of you have taken classes in folk art.

Steph

« Reply #432 on: February 04, 2010, 06:02:31 AM »
I would guess I am wary about roommates because at John Campbell at least twice, I have had a class with someone who had a roommate they did not know and it was not working well. Mostly the who likes to get up in the morning and who likes to go to bed early or late. Then last year on a ship, there was a group and they had paired the women off and it was not working well at all. I think some of them actually changed roommates. So I would guess I am wary.
The only singles at John Campbell are generally claimed by the instructors. I did call about that. What I want to take is the beginners weaving class. I learned years ago and have forgotten and remembered recently that I loved it.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #433 on: February 04, 2010, 06:48:31 AM »
JoanG, that is wonderful that your mother is still reading. She seems like a remarkable person.

Thank you Marcie and all the others who replied to my post about my mother.  She really is a remarkable woman.

I have done several Elderhostels alone and have let them match me with a roommate.  It has worked for me.   I am willing to adapt to the make an effort to adapt to some of the things that others want if necessary.  

Today I have an eye dr appointment.  That will mean all afternoon with  my  eyes dilated. My brother will go with me to drive me home. Oh well this too is necessary.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #434 on: February 04, 2010, 01:57:46 PM »
JEAN: "After i finish a book i often don't even remember the names of the characters. ......" That's me. I may not even remember them while I'm reading -- just enough of the configuration of letters to recognize it. I can read "War and Peace", never know anyone's name, and still keep everyone straight.

I guess I'm a P person.

(But in watching birds, I can tell you wqhat color bill each type of sparrow has. So maybe it's more complex).

Tomereader1

« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
I am reading a super mystery/thriller/spy novel (take your pick).  Set in England, and very English in its language and progression.  For me, it started out r e a l l y  slow, but once it picked up, well, I was reading until past 2:00 AM and my eyes could no longer stay open!  Title is:  The Bell Ringers by Henry Porter.  He is not a first time novelist, but this is the first time I have heard of him.  The plot is a bit convoluted in its way, but things begin to make sense, and wild ride begins.  I am about halfway thru its 396 pages, and hope I can finish tonight. (I try not to read during the daytime hours when I should be doing chores.  Today I'm making an exception to that rule).  If you like a good English-type mystery, not at all "cozy", get this one.  Mr. Porter's writing reminds me of another Brit author, whose name, of course, escapes me at this moment.  I will look it up and let you know as a point of reference.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #436 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »
TOMEREADER: I'm reminded of the Dorothy Sayers mystery about bellringers, The Nine Tailors. I always liked it, but could never quite follow the bellringing details. I hope this one is clearer (I love to learn about new things through mysteries. I say that everything I know, I learned from reading mysteries).

Tomereader1

« Reply #437 on: February 04, 2010, 02:24:54 PM »
It is not about bell-ringers per se, but a group whose secretive name is "The Bell Ringers" - - my idea is that it is a take-off on the American term "whistle blowers".  Can't think of the Brit author's name who kind of writes like Porter.  Can't get enough of a handle on the first letters of his name.  Maybe it will come to me in my sleep! LOL
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #438 on: February 04, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
Oh, of course! The Brits would have bells instead of whistles.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #439 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:20 PM »
Sounds like a book I would like.  I will look for it on Kindle.

Joan Grimes