Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 553759 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #960 on: October 12, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »

So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Back to the movies -- in today's USAToday there was a brief blurb about Dewey the Library Cat, the book, which is being made into a movie starring Meryl Streep -- and no doubt, Dewey.  The article itself was to inform Dewey lovers that a sequel is on its way -- Dewey's Lives, or some such.

Somehow that doesn't strike me as a Meryl Streep sort of thing, but who knows.  She does jolly and bubbly real well.

Re:Kindle -- I'm still experimenting and playing with mine, a Kindle3 or Latest Generation.  One title I picked up quite early was Girl With the Dragon Tatoo. (am leading my f2f in Dec.) I was quite surprised to find out that the highlights or clips or whatever-you-call-ems of other readers, past and previous, were included on my Kindle, supposedly for my benefit.  For better or for worse, I deleted them -- I think.  There's a learning curve there, so I'm not sure.

JimNT

« Reply #961 on: October 13, 2010, 01:10:56 PM »
Pedln:  Do not go near the Kindle.  The Surgeon General has ruled it detrimental to ones health as documentation has shown it causes deterioration of the eye lens.  Some have experienced severe depression, OCD, ADD, & AIDS.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #962 on: October 13, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »
Jim, did you mean that as a joke (about the Kindle)?  If not, where did you see that report.  I can't find anything to document what you said.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #963 on: October 13, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »
Yes, tell us more!

Tomereader1

« Reply #964 on: October 13, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
I think the Surgeon General needs an attitude adjustment!  Kindle causing diseases, poppycock.  Of course we know that any new technology brings out the anti-science nuts, (how many of us now have brain cancer from using our cellphones?) Kindle might produce eye problems if one stays on it 24/7.  But same for computer screen right?  Bah humbug!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #965 on: October 13, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »
The fact that the last item the Kindle is supposed to cause is AIDS should tell you whether Jim is serious. ;D

Tomereader1

« Reply #966 on: October 13, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
Guess I'm not used to seeing Jim be so funny! LOL
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JimNT

« Reply #967 on: October 13, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
PatH & Tomereader have my number.  I'm simply in love with hardcovers!

mabel1015j

« Reply #968 on: October 13, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
Let's see.......I'm in love  w/my iPad, I cld get AIDS by being in love w/ a person, therefore, I cld get AIDS from my iPad.........isn't that something like the logic we learned in philosophy class?..... ;D..........Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #969 on: October 13, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
Jim, I have a Kindle.  Use it very little, love the feel, smell of a real book, yes, especially hard cover ones.  I love book jackets, too!

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #970 on: October 13, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
Mabel, I got my logic in high school geometry, and I would love to see my teacher laugh at your non-syllogism.

Jim, I too dearly love the smell and feel of a real book, plus the ability to flip back and forth, and fall asleep reading and not worry if it falls on the floor.  But Kindle is invaluable for people with vision problems, or arthritis problems that make it hard to hold a book, plus it would make it easier to pack for trips, since you wouldn't have the weight of hard copies.  So I suspect that somewhere down the line I will be very grateful for Kindle, but not yet.

mabel1015j

« Reply #971 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »
I still do 95% of my reading cuddled up, in my bed, at night, with a BOOK. And I also like the out of print and esoteric books that I now have access to on my "library on my lap," otherwise known as an iPad. It doesn't have to be one or the other. ........ Thank goodness......Jean 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #972 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:25 PM »
Well said, Jean.  I like reading on the Kindle, but hey, if I can get a book at the library, fine, or the used bookstore, great. For thick books you don't want to carry with you, it's wonderful.

Jim, shame on you.  Just think how many man hours you might have had people spending in order to research your claims.    >:(

Mippy

« Reply #973 on: October 14, 2010, 06:21:44 AM »
Well, since Pedln, amica mea, doesn't mind if we spend days and days away from talking about movies, here goes:

Jim, you naughty one, how can you put spurious research on SeniorLearn?   Is it a joke?  No no no no as my 2 year old granddaughter says to everyone, especially her baby brother.   Do you go around telling people their computers are dangerous?  A Kindle is a little computer!  

I really enjoy my Kindle for lite reading.  At last count, I've read about 70 novels since June.   We still buy newly published non-fiction in hardback, as my husband and I often read the same book (he goes first, usually) and he doesn't want to borrow my Kindle.  We often buy older non-fiction used, through either Amazon or AbeBooks.  

The Kindle was a gift from my kids last June, by the way.  What a great gift!  Now that the price is down, do consider it for that special someone this year ...  no, I don't own stock in Amazon   ;)
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JimNT

« Reply #974 on: October 14, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
Yesterday I was hoisted on my own petard.  My dear wife allowed me to choose the Wednesday afternoon movie we've come to habituate.  The senior discount on Wednesday has played no small role in this development.  I chose My Soul You'll Take in 3D.  The PC review gave it 4 of 5 stars and I was influenced by the 3D since I haven't seen one for years.  It was categorize as Suspense/Thriller/Horror and I was looking forward to a great afternoon of viewing a thrilling movie in an almost vacant theater.  It was a huge disappointment for the both of us; boring, silly, devoid of any reasonable plot, and altogether a disaster.  The 3D was of little help.  My wife has assumed the movie selection role in our family.  Save your money!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #975 on: October 14, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
Gee, Jim, don't hold back - tell us what you REALLY think.   ::)
I love honest reviews!  Thanks.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #976 on: October 14, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
Thanks for the thumbs-down, Jim.  After just now reading the reviews on Netflix I know I'll never want to see it.  I don't blame your wife for wanting to be the picker-outer   :o

But what was interesting on Netflix -- the director was mentioned a few times -- Wes Craven -- and folks were surprised he had come up with such a bad flick.  The name sounds familiar, but I can't place him with anything.  How about you?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #977 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »
No, but IMDB came through as usual.  Think Nightmare on Elm Street.

Tomereader1

« Reply #978 on: October 14, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »
I think Wes Craven does most of all the "slasher" films. 

André Maurois

marjifay

« Reply #979 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »
Good thing you gave your wife the job of choosing movies, Jim.  (LOL) You should have read the poor reviews it got at Internet Movie Database!  Too bad to waste an afternoon on such a bad movie.

I haven't seen a really good scary movie lately.  Can someone recommend a good one?

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

roshanarose

« Reply #980 on: October 14, 2010, 10:44:49 PM »
"Drag Me to Hell" is a horror movie I liked.  Directed by Sam Raimi.  I don't know your tastes Marj.  An oldie but a goodie is "Relic".  I have been reading "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and have found it to be a bit draggy in parts.  I saw the movie a couple of nights ago (the Swedish and original version) and thought it was excellent.  Very fast moving and cut out all the draggy bits.  Some confronting scenes with the heroine - but I don't want to be a spoiler.  Another movie I liked is "Let the Right One In" Swedish too, I think.  Atmosphere spot on and based on a book which is also very good.  There has been a recent remake of it released in US under another name, but the original is definitely worth a look.  
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

marjifay

« Reply #981 on: October 15, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »
Thanks for the horror film recommendations, Roshanarose.  I'll give them a try!
I've read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and have the Swedish film on my Netflix queue.  Will add the other Swedish film you mentioned.

I watched a really good horror flick last year, scary and funny; I'll post it when I remember the name.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #982 on: October 15, 2010, 09:55:05 AM »
Scary AND funny?  That sounds interesting.

I haven't watched many horror movies -- get too tense.  I got scared watching Goldie Hawn walk around a deserted library carrying knitting needles.  (Can't remember the name of that one.)

Frybabe

« Reply #983 on: October 15, 2010, 02:02:58 PM »
I watched Frida last night, and was surprised to find it interesting. I didn't know much about Rivera and nothing about Frida.

Phyll

« Reply #984 on: October 15, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
I've put The Relic on my Netflix queue.  It says "Availability Unknown" but hopefully it will show up eventually.  I loved the Preston and Child book however, I suspect since it says the movie is based on the book that there is much that has been changed.  I really like all of their books mainly for the descriptions of the areas where the story takes place.  Thanks for the recommendation, Rose.
phyllis

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #985 on: October 15, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
I'm glad to hear you liked Frida, Frybabe.  That's been one of those that I think I'll watch someday and then never get around to it.  I always seem to find something else I think is better.

A few years back my favorite DC museum -- Natl. Museum for Women in the Arts -- had an exhibit with Georgia O'Keefe, Frida, and the Canadian artist who did a lot of trees, can't remember her name.  Very interesting exhibit, representing all of North America.

Also: Babies came from Netflix yesterday.  So I stuffed it in the computer and watched it there.  Fun, maybe just a tad long, but cute, enjoyable.  Now on its way back.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #986 on: October 15, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »
I watched The Relic quite a while ago. I remember being disappointed that it differed quite a bit from the book. I don't remember it clearly but I think they completely left out Agent Pendergast!

roshanarose

« Reply #987 on: October 15, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
pedln - I laughed out loud at the "horror movie" you described as Goldie Hawn walking around a library carrying knitting needles. 

marj - I am waiting patiently for that movie title ;-)

marcie - as I recall Agent Pendergast had not been invented as "Relic" was the first Preston and Child book written.  My sister-in-law and I went to see Relic together and she loved it.  Her occupation is Museum Curator.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #988 on: October 15, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »
roshanarose, well I had to look it up. Apparently Agent Pendergast first appeared as a supporting character in their first novel, Relic, and in its sequel Reliquary, before assuming the protagonist role in The Cabinet of Curiosities. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Pendergast. Since he wasn't one of the major characters, I understand how the film folks wanted to simplify and leave him out.

Gumtree

« Reply #989 on: October 16, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »
I loved Frida - have a copy myself and play it from time to time. Geoffrey Rush and Albert? Molina were super in their roles as was Salma Hayek sp? who played Frida.

Last night we watched Julie and Julia for the first time. Missed it at the movies but it finally came up on my queue.

We also recently finished watching the series House of Cards/To Play the King with Ian Richardson. It's just as brilliant as I recall from seeing it on TV.

Thanks for reminding me about Relic - I haven't read the book or seen the film so will put it on my queue...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #990 on: October 16, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
Gum,  I loved the House of Cards series on TV -- that evil Francis Urquart (Ian Richardson) -- have rewatched part of it on Netflix.  Still have to get the last one -- To Play the King.

I'm waiting for Monday's mail which should bring the recently released Italian DVD  Mid-August Lunch.  It's about a man who "baby-sits" a friend's mother and aunts.  The review I read ages ago sounded good.  We shall see.

About The Relic -- I'm not familiar with either the book or film and am not what you'd call a horror fan.  Should I pass this one by or am I missing something good?   :P

Tomereader1

« Reply #991 on: October 16, 2010, 02:11:55 PM »
The Relic was a good book, and I was excited when they said a movie was coming out.  And as usual, I was totally disappointed in the movie.  Nowhere near as suspenseful and "scary" as the book.
It's not one I'd call "terrible", but if you've read the book first, you will understand. 

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #992 on: October 16, 2010, 09:44:23 PM »
Tomereader - Yes.  I thought the book was good also.  I liked the movie because one could observe the inner workings of a museum and the politics surrounding it.  I didn't prefer one over the other.

pedln - If you have a large, ready to topple TBR perhaps you should put "Relic" about half way down. 

Frybabe

« Reply #993 on: October 17, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
I liked Relic, the book. I am not a horror fan either. Don't ask me why I decided to read it. It probably had something to do with Ginny being such a Preston and Child fan that at her recommendation I gave it a try.

Phyll

« Reply #994 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »
We watched a remarkable performance last night in a wonderful movie made by HBO on Netflix.  Temple Grandin.  The actress in the lead role, Claire Danes, was wonderful.  It must have been a very difficult part but she did it very well.  I was interested in seeing the movie because my grandson has Asperger's Syndrome and I had read of Temple Grandin and her amazing life.  I really loved this movie and recommend it highly.
phyllis

mabel1015j

« Reply #995 on: October 17, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
I think Claire Dane won the Emmy for that role, Phyll.......Jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #996 on: October 17, 2010, 10:51:47 PM »
Phyll, I saw the production of Temple Grandin on HBO and agree that it is amazing. I too highly recommend it. I read her book, "Thinking in Pictures," some time ago. It provides a lot of insight into how some people with autism see the world.

Tomereader1

« Reply #997 on: October 18, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »
Seconding (or thirding, LOL) these votes for "Temple Grandin".  Amazing woman, amazing actress portraying her.  While watching, I was thinking "this is Temple Grandin".  the idea that it was Clare Danes never entered my head.  Now, that's acting!

André Maurois

Phyll

« Reply #998 on: October 18, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
And it would have been so easy to go over the top with that role.  She deserved her Emmy.  I looked up other movies  of hers and found one of Romeo+Juliet with L. DeCaprio.  I started to order it when I noticed it is in modern day setting.  I just don't like Shakespeare adapted to modern. 
phyllis

roshanarose

« Reply #999 on: October 18, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »
Phyll - Take a few hours out of your life and watch Romeo+Juliet.  I am slightly biassed as the director, Baz Luhrmann, is Australian.  Apart from that it is quite an extraordinary movie and Leo and Claire are wonderful as the young lovers.