Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 745923 times)

Steph

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #800 on: July 26, 2010, 05:50:00 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Will look for the grand Canyon book. Sounds interesting. We did a rafting trip many years ago. Fun, but I still wanted to be heliocoptered out for a shower..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

serenesheila

« Reply #801 on: July 26, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
I, too, am reading Jodi Picult's book "House Rules".  I am amazed by all of the research she does for all of her books. 

In addition, I am reading "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand".  The author is Helen Simonson.  It is a light, fun read, IMO.

Finally, I am reading "Potter's Field", by Patricia Cornwell.  I am finding it even more grisily than her other books, which I have read.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #802 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02:42 AM »
Am on the home stretch with Secret of Lost Things.. May have to reread it however to catch all of the asides and literary puzzles. Am listening each day to one of the discs for House Rules.. I keep marveling that noone has tried to discover what Jacob actually saw and did.. I would think with Asburgeres that would be critical.. I know.. its a book and not life.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #803 on: July 27, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »
I downloaded several free Austen books.  I finished "Persuasion" and now into "Pride and Prejudice".  I never read them during my school years.

Steph

« Reply #804 on: July 28, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »
Deep in the trial in House Rules.. Now the Momma becomes clearer in that to some extent, she drove her husband away with her obsessive need to be everything to Jacob.  Interesting. Since I had a Mother who did some of this sort of thing with my brother after he was hit by the car and eventually recovered, but was crippled. My Mother spent her entire life after that fending off everything that disturbed her son.. Not a good thing.

mrssherlock

« Reply #805 on: July 28, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »
When one family member becomes the entire focus of the mother/father, as in major illness or accident, the effect on the family can, and often is, profound as the other members struggle for acceptance of the need of the afflicted one and the loss of their own individual support system within the family.  Divorce, alienation, aberrant behavior, souls in torment and drifting without an anchor.  Obsessive behavior on the part of the parent destroys the objectivity needed to take care of her/himself as well as the other family members.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #806 on: July 29, 2010, 06:12:47 AM »
Jackie, I agree and that is probably why the Jody Picoult.. House Rules resonates. I spent my life from age 16 being truly unimportant to my Mother and I know how that made me feel.. So Theo in the book makes me remember how it all felt.

Babi

« Reply #807 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
 Ah, yes, STEPH. My older daughter's husband was hemophiliac, and his
mother was like that. I think she felt responsible for his disease, and
spent her life hovering over him. Whenever we were all together, I never saw her sit down unless she was eating. It was somewhat unnerving.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #808 on: July 30, 2010, 05:51:14 AM »
I finished listening to House Rules and as always the ending was horrible. Jody loves to abruptly end her books. Its like she got tired of it.. Not even remotely possible.. Oh well, the description of Asburgers was interesting.

salan

« Reply #809 on: July 30, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »
Steph, you just stated the main reason that I quit reading Jodi Picoult a couple of years ago.  She is a good writer, but her books left me depressed---not what I want in a book at this time in my life. 
Sally

Steph

« Reply #810 on: July 31, 2010, 05:57:03 AM »
MOst of her books end badly for a favorite character. Sort of a hall mark for her.. Like you, I want up type things just now..I am not going to get it in the new book either.. Still Alice is a book about early onset Alzeimers in a Harvard professor.. Fiction, but sticking to what is know about early onset.. This is a great mind going and knowing it.. Fascinating, but as the disease is progressive, not going to end well. Written well though.

Gumtree

« Reply #811 on: August 01, 2010, 04:22:56 AM »
Steph: Your mention of the early onset Alzheimer's in a Harvard Prof. put me in mind of the real life case of the novelist and philosopher, Iris Murdoch who was still actively writing when the disease struck her. The experts say that her last book Jackson's Dilemmashows evidence of her already having Alzheimer's. I've read a lot of Murdoch's work and have Jackson's Dilemma on my TBR pile - it's been there forever - I've started it two or three times but never get very far with it - but I don't think that's got anything to do with the state of Murdoch's health at the time of writing - more likely the state of my mind at the time of reading  :D   
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #812 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:25 AM »
I finished Still Alice by Lisa Genova last night. She really is a wonderful author and has written a second book that is not yet published, but will be soon. Early Onset Alzeimers is mostly a genetic problem or so it seems. I loved the book.. Sad but clearly showing not only the beginnings, but since she writes in Alices voice, showing the  progress. I highly recommend it.

MarjV

« Reply #813 on: August 05, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

I've just listened to and watched an interview with PD James on her 90th birthday in August.
It's really neat and only 8+ minutes long.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/video/2010/aug/03/pd-james-crime

marjifay

« Reply #814 on: August 05, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »
Thanks, MarjV for the link to the P.D. James interview!  An interesting woman.  I always remember her saying that her parents had an inkling very early that she would be a mystery writer when her mother read "Humpty Dumpty" to her when she was a child, and she asked, "Was he pushed?"

Now I will get her first book that was mentioned, COVER HER FACE, and read it. Along with her Adam Dalgliesch mysteries, I also liked the so-called science fiction book she wrote, THE CHILDREN OF MEN.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #815 on: August 06, 2010, 05:49:07 AM »
I am struggling with The Hour I first Believed by Wally Lamb. I must confess he is rambling pretty bad at this point. I think about a third of the book thus far could have been edited. I will stagger on, but may start skimming..
The Columbine part was good and accurate. Most of the rambling is about the male main character..Oh well..

Babi

« Reply #816 on: August 06, 2010, 08:43:31 AM »
 I saw the movie about Iris Murdoch and really did not enjoy it at all. I
picked up one of her books but did not finish it. Same reaction.
  I like the P. D. James books; Children of Men was the only exception. I
found it unpleasant in a way I can't quite describe.

Isn't the male main character in "The Hour I First Believed" supposed to be Wally Lamb himself, STEPH?  I haven't read it; that was just the impression I had from posts about it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #817 on: August 07, 2010, 05:57:05 AM »
I dont think so.. This man is a messed up human. His wife was in the Columbine massacre , in the library hiding.. This is mostly the story of retelling that.. the mans alcoholism and messed up family life.. The wife ends up in jail because she was a DUI and killed a young boy.. It is sort of a you name it type book. I am skimming for the coherent parts. I like Wally, but the book really needed editing.

Babi

« Reply #818 on: August 07, 2010, 08:57:39 AM »
 Hmm.  Well, I like Wally Lamb, too, but I think I'll skip this one and let you do the honors. I've
gotten to where I won't even attempt a really long book unless I'm confident I'll find it worth while and engrossing.  When I was young I thought nothing of reading huge tomes, but that was when I had all the time in the world. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #819 on: August 07, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
Marg: thanks for the interview. I'll post it in the Mystery corner.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #820 on: August 07, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »
The Results are just in -  you all have selected quite an interesting group of THREE for  the Fall line-up:

ZEITOUN (Eggers)- An American epic. Fifty years from now, when people want to know what happened to the once great city of New Orleans during a shameful episode of our history, they will still be talking about a family named Zeitoun
We will read and discuss David Egger's  Zeitoun in September with Ella and JoanK.  This is a true story, but as gripping as Fiction.   Just  opened today - Zeitoun .  Please drop in now and let them know whether you will be part of the discussion.

LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS (Le Guin) - Story of a lone human emissary's mission to an alien world. Groundbreaking science fiction hat leaves you thinking about gender issues, "nature vs nurture," nationalism and more.  Proposed for October

EXCELLENT WOMEN
(Pym) - High comedy about a never-married woman in her 30s, which in 1950s England makes her a nearly confirmed spinster.Often compared to Jane Austen  Proposed for November

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #821 on: August 07, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
Looking forward to the Barbara Pym book...Always enjoyed her books.joangrimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #822 on: August 07, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »
Flajean, the British Prime minister Benjamin Disraeli claimed to have read "Pride and Prejudice 17 times.  I claim to have beaten him.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #823 on: August 07, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
So far I've read 4 Jane Austen books.  Pride and Prejudice is my favorite and next is Persuasion.  Path, They are both books that can be reread more than once but since my first read is at age 74, I doubt if I'll be able to catch up with you.  :D

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #824 on: August 07, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
Yes, I started young.

Gumtree

« Reply #825 on: August 08, 2010, 03:03:20 AM »
Yes, I started young.

Me too - but doubt I've made it through all of the books 17 times - Persuasion is the one I've read most times - closely followed by P&P.

Flajean: I'm always happy to hear of a new Jane Austen convert - I keep wondering whether you have read other 19th century writers or is Austen is a leap into uncharted waters for you.

I'm currently reading Tolstoy's Anna Karenina for perhaps the seventh time. Always find something different each time and find my sympathies attached to different characters - have never had much time for Vronsky though.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #826 on: August 08, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
Gumtree, yes, Austen has been a delightful leap into uncharted waters.

MaryPage

« Reply #827 on: August 08, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
If you have discovered and come to love Jane Austen, you may also love Elizabeth Gaskell.  A large number of HER books have been made into films by the BBC as well.

And again, I recommend D.E. Stevenson and Angela Thirkill to any and all Austen fans.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #828 on: August 08, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Jean: I envy you: all those unread Austens!!

GUM: you have me beat on Anna Karinina -- I've only read it 5 times. About time I read it again.

Don't forget to check on Zeitoun, if you're interested. Not Austen or Tolstoy, but very good narrative non-fiction about a Syrian's experiences in hurricane Katrina.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1585.0

Babi

« Reply #829 on: August 09, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
  I recently read Jude Morgan's "An Accomplished Woman", which some reviewers have compared to Jane Austen with good reason. I
was surprised to find that Jude Morgan is a man; I expected from the
book that the author was a woman.  Morgan's Lydia Templeton is a
bit more strong-minded than some of Austen's heroines, tho'.  She
is not above cursing, though of course not in public.  And she would
much prefer a liquid restorative to smelling salts.  But she is most definitely a lady.  A very enjoyable book.  I'm hoping to find more by
this author.

mrssherlock

« Reply #830 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »
Babi:  This looks good.  I love JA and also Georgette Heyer, this looks like it may have elements of both authors.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #831 on: August 10, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »
Will put Jude on my list to look at.. I am not quite sure about Zeitun... Will think on it.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #832 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »
I have way too much fun on my Kindell. I discovered a book called Thew Goddess Of Fried Okra  by Jean Brashear and am loving it so far.

I read the Help when it first came out and enjoyed it, about the same time I read one I believe was called Roses and it was very good.

Also read the Fixer Upper and loved it. Every night I scroll through the best sellers and Kindell best sellers and always find something fun and not very expensive at all.

I have also aquired and I POd Touch and it is amazing, I don't think I have ever like anything as much as I do it. I know all news as its happening almost immediatlely. A few miutes ago it said a black hawk chopper had crashed trying to save 5 people stranded on a ice glacier in Alaska.

Have followed all day the plane crash in Dillingham which took Ted Stevens
I have  met him and all Alaskans will mjiss him.

Steph

« Reply #833 on: August 11, 2010, 07:06:58 AM »
Judy,, glad to hear from you. I  can hardly wait for my IPAD.. Sorry to hear about Ted Stevens.

Babi

« Reply #834 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:57 AM »
 I'm feeling the same reluctance to read 'Zeitoun', STEPH.  I don't
doubt it is as good as people say, but I've read so much about that event, and of course followed it closely when it occurred.  I think I just want to put it behind me, now.

marjifay

« Reply #835 on: August 11, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »
I agree with you, Babi.  I'm bored with the subject of Katrina.  Just as i don't want to read any books about Columbine.  Enough is enough!

marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #836 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
The tone of Zeitoun is factual storytelling, not whining "Oh woe is me". It's not "heartwrenching", more like a good suspense story. I couldn't put it down.

mabel1015j

« Reply #837 on: August 11, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »
A friend gave me 3 of Dana Fuller Ross' books yesterday. I started Wagon's West: Independence. I can't believe i haven't come upon these books before. I like historical fiction and this is a boatload of historical fiction. There are 24 books in this series and he and his wife have written many, many more.......... That does concern me a bit. They must be doing them w/ assembly lines...........lol.......or help from "interns." He has about 4 different pseudonyms. I've just started, this first one is in 1830's; Andrew Jackson wants to send pioneers to the northwest to save that terrirtoy from the British and the Russians. Have any of you read any of his books.........here's the "fantasticfiction" site on hiim.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/dana-fuller-ross/

I'm also reading another Lorna Landvik novel (she of Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons.) This one is entirely different. It's title is Oh My Stars about a group of young adults who fall into being a club band, writing and playing their own songs, in the middle of the 20th century. A young girl who has had her arm amputated in a textile factory inadvertantly becomes their manager; the band eventually is 2 young white males and two young black males. They travel from carnivals and clubs in N. Dakota down thru the center of the country to Memphis. The story weaves it's way thru the complexities of their being an inter-racial group and her being "deformed" and the way people assess them and how they support and encourage each other. It's nicely done.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #838 on: August 12, 2010, 07:04:56 AM »
There are tons of Dana Fuller Ross books, I always assumed in the bookstorethat it was a proprietary name like the Hardy Boys series.. They are quite different in tone. The states are very popular and sometimes hard to find in paperback.

serenesheila

« Reply #839 on: August 12, 2010, 09:54:27 PM »
JEAN