General Book Discussions & More > Mystery Corner

Mystery Corner ~ 2

<< < (1717/1718) > >>

PatH:
Sounds good, Barb.

FlaJean:
Form the New Book section at the library I found a new author to me!  Just finished The Body in the Well by Martin Walker.  An interesting story set in France featuring Bruno, the local police chief.  Now I want to look for some of his earlier novels about Bruno.

I read my first P D James mystery—-Unnatural Causes—-interesting.

PatH:
I liked James' mysteries a lot.  They vary a lot in quality though, and it's been long enough that I've forgotten which were the best.  I remember liking Devices and Desires, also An Unsuitable Job for a Woman (in which Dalgliesh plays only a very small part).  There were British movies of some of them, shown on PBS, which were quite good.

Never heard of Walker--sounds like my kind of thing.

FlaJean:
I’ve read Charles Belfoure’s The Paris Architect twice as I enjoyed it so much.  It’s about Paris in World War II.  Mr. Belfoure is a “real life” Architect in Baltimore, but the book is a story of how an architect who is concerned only about himself and his work is changed through his experiences.

I just finished Mr. Belfoure’s recent book (published in 2018) The Fallen Architect.  It takes place in the early 1900s and about a terrible accident in a new building blaming the Architect.  A really interesting mystery.

Frybabe:
Gosh, nobody has posted here in almost a year.

I just finished reading a murder mystery called Blackman's Coffin: A Sam Blackman Mystery by Mark de Castrique. The main character is a disabled vet who was, prior to losing part of a leg, was a military police investigator and the story is set in the Asheville, Black Mountain (VET hospital), and the Biltmore Forest, NC area. There are six in the series so far. Unfortunately, I can only find in my local library A Specter of Justice which is the fifth. I may have to make do with that, though I'd like to read the others. I like the main character.

Castrique has another series he calls Buryin' Barry which has seven books in it so far. This series is about a former cop turned undertaker. Castrique himself is an experienced broadcaster and producer, and has gained several awards, including an Emmy, for his work. His father was a funeral director.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version