Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 364254 times)

mrssherlock

Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #640 on: March 28, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

Sally: I'm eager to see what happens next.  
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #641 on: March 29, 2010, 06:04:48 AM »
I dont either. I love Mary Brown, but she is hard to find even in bookstores.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #642 on: April 28, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
For Jack Campbell (The Lost Fleet) fans, publication date of book 6, "Victorious", was yesterday.  Thanks to an Amazon pre-order, the book landed on my doorstep yesterday.  I fought my way across the universe with him in books 1-5, and expressed my willingness to fight my way back again if necessary.  I have now fought my way through book 6, but if you want to find out where that left me, you'll have to read the book.  Fans will definitely want to read it.

For anyone who hasn't followed previous conversations, this is a series of extremely good 3-dimensional sea battles fought in space, with a good enough story line to hang them on.  They have to be read in order, though.

Babi

« Reply #643 on: April 29, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »
 Sounds like a series I would like, PATH.  Unfortunately, my library has
nothing by Jack Campbell.  I'll check out my daughter's library, too.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #644 on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »
My library doesn't have him either, Babi.  The first one is "Dauntless".  If you find them, read them in order.

Babi

« Reply #645 on: April 30, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »
 You know, the name "Jack Campbell"  and the title "Dauntless" do sound somewhat familiar.
I'm wondering if perhaps I did read some of his books back when.  How far back to they date,
I wonder?  I'm going to have to start checking the library's listing of books I've checked out.
Lately I seem to be starting books, only to realize I've already read it.  :(
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2010, 11:10:04 AM »
My library has the old Jack Campbells but not the new one.  Such an exciting space opera is a real treat.  Speaking of space opera, John Scalzi's The God Engines is very disturbing intellectually but worth the time.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #647 on: April 30, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
Dauntless was published in 2006.

Steph

« Reply #648 on: May 01, 2010, 07:57:17 AM »
I am in love with Patricia Briggs. She writes fantasy.. mostly werewolves with the vampires as the enemy and the fairy empire as deceitful.. Very interesting indeed.

Babi

« Reply #649 on: May 01, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Oh, BOO!  I love to read about fairies and elves as they are depicted in books like 'Lord of the Rings'.  Especially elves.  I do admit fairies can be somewhat flighty.   8)

Steph

« Reply #650 on: May 02, 2010, 05:55:32 AM »
The Fey( fairies) in Briggs series are dangerous creatures.. She uses them for showing deceit and lies.. Interesting portrayal.. Of course the Cane... follows Mercy around and intrigues me.

Babi

« Reply #651 on: May 02, 2010, 08:51:50 AM »
 The Cane?  Obviously we are not talking about a walking stick as it couldn't follow anyone
around.  So, what/who is the 'Cane'?   Really, STEPH, you shouldn't dangle such things in front
of me like that and walk away.  :P

Steph

« Reply #652 on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »
Hah,, but it is in fact a walking stick that seems to follow Mercy into her situations. She does not understand why. It does not seem to interfere, it is just there when she least expects it.. I love it..

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #653 on: May 03, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
Hmmm.  The walking stick reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Luggage.

Steph

« Reply #654 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »
Ah, but the luggage does things.. I love the Luggage . Terry Pratchett is a favorite writer of mine.. The Cane thus far is simply there. Mercy can pick it up if she wants.. It is from an irish folk tale or at least that is what the Fey tell Mercy.

Babi

« Reply #655 on: May 04, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
 My thought, too, PATH.  But, as STEPH says, Pratchetts' luggage did get involved; very
protective of it's owner.  I'm intrigued by the independent walking stick. I'm hoping my library
will have some of Patricia Briggs.

mrssherlock

« Reply #656 on: May 04, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
Mary Brown books are so delightful.  Thank you, whoever you are, for telling us about them.  Pigs Don't Fly was my first, a fantasy tale that was over the top, didn't skip one cliche, hardly able to put it down.  Dragonne's Eg is, loosely, the next in the series that my library stocks and it's starting out as well as the previous one.  Wait, wait, I found the in-between book. Master of Many Disguises listed separately so it's on my request list.  So is the first, The Unlikely Ones.  In fact, I'm putting Eg aside until I can catch up.  I highly recommend this author if you like fun with your swords and dragons.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/mary-brown/
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #657 on: May 05, 2010, 06:05:58 AM »
Glad you like Mary. She is hard to find in bookstores.
I am reading Charlaine Harris latest.. Sooky is a favorite of mine. Just now she is involved with Eric, who always struck me as one of the more interesting characters, although like many others, I think she should give Sam a shot.

salan

« Reply #658 on: May 05, 2010, 07:57:40 AM »
Jackie, I recommended the Mary Brown books and am so glad that you are enjoying them.  I ordered 3 used from Amazon.  It's been a while since I read them and plan to re-read them sometime.  The library here is small and they usually get rid of older books to make way for new.  Therefore, I try to order used older books from Amazon.  Some I keep, and some get passed on and on and on.  My family are all avid readers and we like to share books.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #659 on: May 05, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »
  I am happy to report my library does have some Patricia Briggs books.  I went right down and
picked up three books that are each first in their series.  I am even happier to report that I am
into the first one and enjoying it very much.  Just what I needed! 
  I am now more determined to find Mary Brown books, thanks to all the praise here.  I'll
find some used copies on-line if need be.   Thanks for the reminder, SALLY.

Steph

« Reply #660 on: May 06, 2010, 05:58:24 AM »
Oh me.. Sooky seems to have been pushed into yet a horrible situation. I am a bit worried that Charlaine Harris is going to fall for the  worse and worse theory on her characters. Keep up the lightness of being.. oh please Charlaine.

Babi

« Reply #661 on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
  I hope not, STEPH, but I've seen it happen before.  After a couple of upbeat books in a series,
the author seems to feel he/she should do something different.  The next generation produces
some unpleasant characters that you really don't like, or something of that sort.  Maybe you
should let the author, or the publisher, know that would be a turn-off for a lot of their readers.

Steph

« Reply #662 on: May 07, 2010, 05:51:35 AM »
Charlaine writes about a variety of characters and has for years. I think the HBO series may have influenced her. I tried to watch it, but it was way violent and not much humor at all. It was Sookies laid back southern attitude that attracted me at the beginning.

Babi

« Reply #663 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
 I've started reading an author new to me,...Patricia Briggs... and find it hard to put the books
down.  She does keep the story moving.  Anything is possible in her books, apparently, and
she takes it all in stride.  She has about five different series; I'm starting with #1 in three of
them to see if I enjoy all three.  I'll take it from there.

mrssherlock

« Reply #664 on: May 10, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
Babi:  Welcome to the club of her fans.  I read all her series, so far, and have a new one (Silver Borne)on my library list.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #665 on: May 10, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »
I love Briggs. Very vivid characters, all of them have both good and bad. Love the mix.

Babi

« Reply #666 on: May 11, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »
  I seem to see a theme, or direction, building up in the Briggs book "Moon Called", featuring
Mercedes (Mercy) Thompson.  She knows 'people' in all the supernatural groups, understands
how to act around them, has at least one friend/supporter among each.  I think I can see where she will become the intermediary between these groups when trouble arises.  Now let's
see if I'm right.   8)

mrssherlock

« Reply #667 on: May 11, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
Babi :-X
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #668 on: May 12, 2010, 05:58:57 AM »
Oh Babi.. yes and no is the answer to that one.. Mercy is also a coyote.. And that is Kokopelli, the joker in their pantheon of gods.

Babi

« Reply #669 on: May 12, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »
 Would you look at my posts!  I don't know why they have all those uneven lines.  I don't type them that way.

I know a little about 'coyote', STEPH.  Also known as 'trickster'.  Not
a very nice fellow; practical jokers often are not.  He's vulgar, but clever,
and he has uses.  Mercy Thompson seems to be more on the useful side.
Her 'tricks' seem to be harmless....like the rusty van placed in
her backyard just to annoy that particular neighbor.

Steph

« Reply #670 on: May 13, 2010, 05:53:33 AM »
Mercy has many small tricks up her sleeve, but the neighbor is a big big part of her life..She is not mean, but I meant in that she is unexpected, which is how she manages to survive.

Babi

« Reply #671 on: May 13, 2010, 08:17:15 AM »
 Indeed, yes.  She really knows and understands these different groups of 'supernaturals'....and of course, she is fast on her feet!

Steph

« Reply #672 on: May 14, 2010, 06:00:36 AM »
Her Alpha and Omega series is great. Only read two and love that one as well. The wolves in this one are fully realized as a community. Interesting.

Babi

« Reply #673 on: May 14, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
Book I of the Alpha and Omega series is in the other room now, waiting for me to finish another
book that I need to return.  This makes the third of her series I've begun, since my library had book I of all three.  They also, thankfully, have book II of at least two of them and I plant to hunt down all the others.

Steph

« Reply #674 on: May 15, 2010, 06:02:41 AM »
Nothing like finding a new author who you like and who has written for a while..

Babi

« Reply #675 on: May 15, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
Amen!

Babi

« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2010, 08:20:55 AM »
 GOOD NEWS!  Nothing like finding an old author you love who hasn't written for a while, too.
 It's been so long, I forgot I'd put in a request at my library for any new works by Sharon Lee
and Steve Miller.  Yesterday I returned a couple of books and there was one, waiting for me!
  A new Liaden Universe book, called "Fledgling".   I know those of you who loved the Liaden novels as I did will be glad to hear.  I do hope it is the first of a new series.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2010, 11:28:09 PM »
  A new Liaden Universe book, called "Fledgling".   I know those of you who loved the Liaden novels as I did will be glad to hear.  I do hope it is the first of a new series.
Probably not a whole series, but it does have a sequel, Saltation, coming out about now.  Here's what I said about Fledgling in January (post 506, page 13) when I had finally read all the then-published Liaden novels.

"Fledgling tells something of what Daav did when he disappeared to achieve Balance, and is mostly the story of Theo Waitly, who appears on the last page of I Dare.

The continuation of her story, Saltation, is due soon."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2010, 11:44:09 PM »
Lee and Miller seem to be coming out of the shadows a bit.  When I was reading their books, I had a lot of trouble getting hold of some of them, but now you can get to an author page on Amazon, and most of the books seem to be available there.  I'm glad.  I never understood why books of that quality didn't catch on.

Unfortunately, they have also started putting out anthologies, which are various combinations of the single books, so you see a title and think "great, I haven't read that", and then you see it's just a reshuffling.

Steph

« Reply #679 on: May 27, 2010, 06:01:33 AM »
Anthologies. l.. Another not particularly nice trick is an author who reissues a really old book and you dont catch it.. I just got fooled by a J.D. Robb book that was really a rehash of one of Nora's older romance books.. Darn..