Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 420429 times)

roshanarose

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1880 on: August 27, 2011, 01:51:37 AM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My - What have I started?  All the august Augustans have come out.  My mother was born in August too, 19th August.  She was a Leo and epitomised that sign.  A leader - strong and fiery.  James is just a Virgo - right on the cusp.  I like Virgos, they are smart and not much is missed by their beady eye.  They are supposed to be extremely tidy.  My ex was Virgo, he had a great brain but was certainly not tidy.

But I thought that you all knew that September and October are the best months to be born :-*

However, in order to grovel my way back into your good books, here is a short list of some famous Leo/Virgo Cuspians:

River Phoenix, Bill Clinton, Elvis Costello, Kobe Bryant, Hayden Panetierre, Billy Ray Cyrus, Coco Chanel and Barbara Eden.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Gumtree

« Reply #1881 on: August 27, 2011, 03:47:53 AM »
What about some literary Leos: Here's a dozen - all Leos

Robert Graves, Alexandre Dumas, G.B. Shaw, Andrew Maurios, Aldous Huxley, Emily Bronte, Herman Melville, Percy B Shelley, Alfred Tennyson, Ian Fleming, T.E. Lawrence, Ogden Nash -

and then there are statesmen like Dag Hammarskjold and celebrities like Jacki Kennedy - endless.

I love the latest quote on the headers - I've been trying to get that book - A History of Reading by Alberto Manguel. I borrowed it once from a friend who had borrowed it so could only have it for too short a time. It's rather wonderful and so wide ranging on the history - all sorts of stuff one never imagines.

Please, please everyone stay safe from Irene.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #1882 on: August 27, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »
 GUM & JOANK, I do love you gals.  :D

Oh, definitely, ROSHANA.  I am an October Libran.  We are noted for being welll-balanced.
I've often thought I'd make a very poor lawyer; I can always see the other guys point of
view. On the other hand, I'd have made a great judge....I think.  :-\
  Hmmm....we are in non-fiction, right?  Umm, nah,..I still think I'd've made a good judge.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #1883 on: August 27, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
I am an October Libran

Yeaaaaaa, Babi. Me too.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1884 on: August 27, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
Me too! This is getting a little weird, why are so many Librans on here? Huuuummmmm? I also notice that Frybaby and Babi and i often have similar opinions.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1885 on: August 27, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
I just heard a fascinating interview on BookTV.  The book is Haunting Legacy, by Marvin Kalb (the journalist) and Deborah Kalb (his daughter).  They were interviewed by Ted Koppel.  Terrific folks.  The book is about how the Vietnam War influenced, and continues to influence, presidents who have served since then.  I'm not sure I'll get the book - it's $16.+ on my Kindle, and not available at our library yet.  Anyhow, it might be something to check out.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #1886 on: August 27, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »
That's very interesting Mary. I'm going to be presenting another course in the spring at the senior community. This one will be about the 50's,60's and 70's and the impact on the decades following them. I think i need to see that interview or read that book.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1887 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
jean, you can probably watch the interview on line. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

roshanarose

« Reply #1888 on: August 28, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »
I remember after reading "The Merchant of Venice" as a youngster that I wanted to be a lawyer, like Portia.  My daughter is a Libran as well.  It is uncanny, because we often buy the same lipstick in the same colour quite independently.  That is the flippant side of the similarity.  There are many other similarities of a more serious and critical nature.

Jean, Frybabe and Babi - Yayyyyy!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1889 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:16 AM »
 Does make you wonder, doesn't it, JEAN?  Like I said, we Librans are well-balanced,
thoughtful, fair-minded.... ::)   Feel free to add to the list, all you Librans.

I enjoy the 'BookPage' my library makes available. Not only do I find books I want
to read, but the library is more likely to have them.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #1890 on: August 28, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
I'm going to be presenting another course next spring at the senior living community to which i presented a women's history course last spring. This one is going to be The Decades of the 50s, 60s and 70s and Their Impact on the Following Decades. I tell you that because i'm probably going to running across interesting tidbits as i bring my research up to date and will pass some aling to you.

I just ran into these lists of books ........ Yes, some more lists of books for you to browse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_literature

Enjoy, Jean

Babi

« Reply #1891 on: August 29, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »
 I see Stieg Larsson has been leading the parade the last couple of years.  The Scandinavian
writers have been quite popular over here lately, haven't they.  Why this sudden emergence,
I wonder.

Frybabe

« Reply #1892 on: August 29, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
Why this sudden emergence, I wonder.
Good marketing. Someone saw potential. Here are a few attempts to explain.

http://barbarafister.com/scandcrime.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jan/23/scandinavian-crime-fiction

Could this paragraph from The Guardian also apply to the US? What do you think?

"Scandinavian crime fiction may still be something of a novelty act in the UK, but it's a well-established genre in the rest of Europe, particularly Germany and France. So how come we got left behind? Put it down to that old national weakness for effortless superiority combined with instinctive parochialism. While other European countries are happy to publish roughly 25% of their books in translation, in the UK that figure is nearer 3%. And when you reckon that 3% includes academic and childrens books, that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything else."

Babi

« Reply #1893 on: August 29, 2011, 08:56:25 AM »
 Thanks for those links, FRYBABE.  They expressed my own question very well, and gave some
reasonable answers.  All of which still does not, for me, overcome the drawback of the dreary
settings and the drearier characters.  "To everything there is a season", right?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1894 on: August 29, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »
 "To everything there is a season"

A time for dreariness, and a time for light?

nlhome

« Reply #1895 on: August 29, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
I have been trying to catch up after several days of limited computer time. Lots being discussed.

I'm also a Libra.

roshanarose

« Reply #1896 on: August 29, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
nlhome - Ah.  Another Chosen One.

I hope all you Libras are going to be ready to add your favourite fellow "Libras" around about 23 September.  Don't forget Margaret Thatcher  ;)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1897 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »
If only one could..... :)

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1898 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:41 AM »
 :D

mabel1015j

« Reply #1899 on: August 30, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
I just started a book that looks as though it's going to be very good. "Franklin and Lucy:Pres R, Mrs Rutherford and the Other Remarkable Women in His Life" by Joseph Persico who wrote a great book on the Nuremberg trials.

He says in the introduction, "The present theme, the women who figured prominently in Roosevelt's life, was prompted by my conviction that their influence was decisive. They formed and reveal him. ........he cannot begin to be understood w/out examining the shaping hand of his mother, wife, one true love and the other women who satisfied FDRs deep seated need for adulation, admiration, approval and respite from the crushing burdens of his office. They provided the oxygen to his soul. To study the man largely through his male associates, however key ........ Yields an imcomplete picture. It is no coincidence that present w/FDR at Warm Springs, Ga on the day he died were three close women companions...........
"The story of FDRs women delves into Eleanor Roosevelt's often perplexing involvements w/ both men and women and how F's conduct as a husband contributed to her behavior. The most extraordinary truth of their marriage is that the greatest man of his time, and arguably the greatest woman of her age, were wedded to each other. History offers nothing comparable........."

His writing is very readable - except for trying to keep all those Roosevelt's, especially the "James," of which there are at least three, straight. I suppose the title was thought up by the publisher, F and L sounds much juicier then The Women in Franklin's Life. Actually the title made me pick it up at the library. But i look forward to reading more about the cousins. I know quite a lot already about the controlling Sara, his mother and of course ER.

Jonathan

« Reply #1900 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:47 AM »
Does Persico bring Frances Perkins into the picture? It would have been No Deal without her.

Jonathan

« Reply #1901 on: August 31, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
It might have been a different world if he had taken her to Yalta with him.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1902 on: August 31, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
I think he is focusing on FDR's personal relationships, but that a good question. I'll let you know, so far i'm just at the point where he and ER are about ti get married. Sara, mother, was so appalled at his choice of Eleanor that she asked them to keep their engagement secret for a YEAR and they DID! Was she a powerful mother, or not?

Jean

Babi

« Reply #1903 on: September 01, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »
Sara, IMO, was pretty appalling herself.  :-\

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1904 on: September 01, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »
The Classics Club has a winner! Plutarch "Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans". But our job has just started. We have to pick 4 selections to read in October. Who do you want to get to know better: Caesar? Cleopatra? Cicero? Come help us decide  at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2395.80

Jonathan

« Reply #1905 on: September 04, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »
Why not add Mark Anthony to the three C's, to make up the Plutarch Quartet. That could supply a plot for the discussion.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1906 on: September 09, 2011, 12:09:30 PM »
Is that an advertisement - what little French i remember from hi school led me to ask?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1907 on: September 19, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Won't y'all share - even if you do not stay around to chat in Talking Heads it would be so great to have as many of us as possible list our favorites in 20 Questions - it really is a way we get to know each other a bit better -

Here we are http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2510.msg129764#msg129764
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #1908 on: September 21, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Jean, I ran across someone interesting while looking for something else. Perhaps you have heard of her in your studies?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/changingthefaceofmedicine/physicians/biography_35.html

mabel1015j

« Reply #1909 on: September 22, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
Oh! Yes! Elizabeth Blackwell! When i was pregnant w/ our first child in 1969 i had to stop teaching - the rule was at 4 months, but i lied and stretched that to my 6th month - so i had time on my hands. We lived around the corner from the county library which had a great biography section. I started reading thru the women bios and, of course, EB was close to the beginning.

I frequently tell a piece of her story in class or at women's history presentations because it's interesting how "mavericks" have their own boundaries of what they will do. EB braved being rejected by many med'l schools, not being able to find housing when landlords found out she was going to the med'l school, teasing and harrassment from the male students, dissecting male bodies, and still graduated at the top of her class. However! When it came to graduation she thought it was unseemly for her to walk across the stage to receive her diploma, so she
sat in the front row of the auditorium and her brother went on stage and accepted her
diploma!

That exercise, of reading women's bios,  was also when i learned that Jane Addams had received the Nobel Peace Prize!?! I knew all about Hull House and her starting the career field of social work, but had NEVER heard that she and Emily Green Balch were the first American women to get the NPP! Even after i had earned a B.S. degree in history!

Of course, that was because i was in school in the 40s and 50s - Cold War, fear of
communism and communists, and any one in peace movements and international organizations - including the YWCA - were suspected of being too "pink". So their activism in the peace movement was not taught in my history classes. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1910 on: September 22, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
Jean, your mention of Blackwell reminds me of our family doctor when I was growing up.  Her name was Amelia Frances Foye.  She was born in 1871, went to Howard Medical School, having been rejected by other schools here (I'm guessing not for academic reasons).  She was their first white female student.  Knowing what sort of harassment women med students were subjected to in the 50s, I wonder what she had to face.  I like to think she was so much outside the norm that they just accepted her.  Certainly by the time I knew her she was a formidably imposing figure, you wouldn't want to mess with her.  She continued to practice until her death in 1953, age 82.

How good a doctor was she?  From what I remember, very good.
http://books.google.com/books?id=VrsDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=amelia+frances+foye&source=bl&ots=N7Llrf9ZTX&sig=eoVD44FDhsZgtrN2HsKdcKiWNI8&hl=en&ei=xNJ7TuC4EdLdiAKa-cSaBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=amelia%20frances%20foye&f=false

mabel1015j

« Reply #1911 on: September 23, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
Thanks for that info Pat. Now i wonder if she was the FIRST woman at Howard, or whether their were African American women their also. I'll have to see what i can find out.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1912 on: September 23, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »
Mabel: of course Pat and I had the same doctor. She delivered me, so mom gave me Foye as a middle name. I always hated it as a child (was called Joan Fooey), but maybe I should wear it proudly now.

Speaking of Jane Addams, do read her autobiography, if you haven't. It's fascinating! I especially loved her account of her trip to Russia to meet Tolstoy. She came away muttering "I probably SHOULD bake my own bread, but when am I going to find the time." (Of course Count Tolstoy with his estate full of servants, had plenty of time!)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1913 on: September 23, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Now i wonder if she was the FIRST woman at Howard, or whether their were African American women their also. I'll have to see what i can find out.
Jean, if you do find out, tell us; I'd love to know.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1914 on: September 23, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »
I found the following info at http://medicine.howard.edu/about/history/default.htm

"Howard has also been in the vanguard with regard to the training of women physicians.  Over the years, females have been afforded opportunities to study medicine here to a greater extent than at most other U.S. medical colleges.  The first female, Mary Spackman, was graduated in 1872.  Dr. Spackman, who was white, was born in Maryland.  The first black female to graduate was Eunice P. Shadd, Class of 1877, who was from Chatham, Ontario, Canada.  The first female teacher was Dr. Isabel C. Barrows, a graduate of Woman’s Medical College of Philadelphia.  During 1870-73, she lectured at Howard on diseases of the eyes and ears."

mabel1015j

« Reply #1915 on: September 23, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »
Marcie - thank you for researching that and finding the answer to my question.

Joan - i haven't read JA's autobio. I will look for that, maybe it's in google books.

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #1916 on: September 30, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
I'm listening to "1491" by Charles Mann on tape. I'm very impressed with the reader who is doing a fantastic job of pronoucing all those multiple-syllabic  Incan, Mayan and Mexican names. And he must do it over and over.  :D  I see the author is going to be on Booktv at 10:00pm On Sunday with his new book "1493". Huuuh, wonder what will be different since much of what he is talking about in "1491" is the impact on Native Americans of the coming of the Europeans. He is also stressing how much more sophisticated they were than what we've been taught. "Mexico City" - i won't even attempt to spell the name it was before 1492 - was the largest city in the world and had more paved roads which were swept clean, as opposed to the filth of London's city streets. He also discusses the controversy over how many NA's were in the western hemisphere, ranging from sev'l 10's of millions to over 100million, many of whom had died of "eastern" diseases even before 1492, because of contacts w/ Europeans outside the hemisphere and how easily the diseases could sweep thru non-immuned protective peoples.

Some of it is very interesting, but i have fast forwarded thru some parts that have bored me with battles and organization of various groups and villages that combined then into a large civilization in both Mexico and South America. I'm hoping he talks as thoroughly about NA's in North America. There are 11 tapes.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1917 on: September 30, 2011, 02:42:50 PM »
Jean, the program with Mann is also going to be on BookTV at 3 p.m.ET on Saturday and 6 a.m.ET on Sunday morning.  Other good stuff on BookTV this weekend, too.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1918 on: October 01, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
JoanK - i did find Jane Addams's autobio on the U of Pennsylvania site of free books!! Bookmarked it and will get back to it. Here's the site if anyone else wants to look at it.

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/addams/hullhouse/hullhouse.html

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1919 on: October 02, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »
JEAN: hope you enjoy it.