Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 359917 times)

Steph

Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #1760 on: February 13, 2013, 06:13:24 AM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

Since I am upstairs and the book is down. I will copy down the title later today and send it. Excellent.. so far, but I like both of the series.. This one is Anna and her husband who is the enforcer for the Werewolves.. a complex man with doubts..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Steph

« Reply #1761 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
Fair Play is the name of the book.. #3 in the series..

Babi

« Reply #1762 on: February 14, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
  Thank you, STEPH.  #3?  I thought I had already read three of that series.  I guess I need to go to Fantastic Fiction and update myself on that series.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1763 on: February 15, 2013, 06:03:35 AM »
You are right. I think it is #4.. but it is excellent.. Anna and Charles are interesting.

Babi

« Reply #1764 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
  I checked with Fantastic Fiction, and realized it was the Meredith series I had been following. I think I may have
read one of the Anna/Charles books; I'm not sure.  I wonder if my library has any more.  Have to check that out.
Thanks for reminding me of Briggs.  My book list is getting so long I know I'm missing some old favorites.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1765 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:34 PM »
Last night was my f2f group at Politics and Prose.  The fantasy was Lloyd Alexander's The Book of Three.  This is the first of a 5 book series roughly based on the Welsh legends of the Mabinogion, telling of the struggles of Taran, assistant keeper to an oracular pig, as he is caught up in the usual evil versus good problem as the bad guys try to take over everything.  They are children's stories, and really good.  About half the characters and situations are lifted from the Mabinogion, but you don't need to know any of that to enjoy the books.  The problem was that the first book is kind of a prologue, so although many of us were happily reading it again and others were interested, we couldn't find a lot to say about it.  I read the whole series with my children and was glad to be reminded of it.

The sci-fi book was Russian: Omon Ra by Victor Pelevin.  By the time I got around to wanting to buy it, our group had already exhausted the publisher's supply, and I didn't want to deal with the amateur online translation.  So I hadn't read it, but the discussion was interesting.  Our current leader grew up in Russia (she read this one in Russian, not English) and said it's full of acronyms and cultural references.  One of my fellow discussers lent me her copy, so I'll see if it makes any sense to me.

Steph

« Reply #1766 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:19 AM »
I have read maybe 20 pages of Gone Girl..Hmm. both of them at this point are truly unlikeable,but I suspect that is my age showing.. The current trend is unpleasant people for some odd reason.

Babi

« Reply #1767 on: February 16, 2013, 09:27:24 AM »
  Having noted the oracular pig, PAT, I was most relieved to find that they
are children's stories.  ;D

I do hope you are mistaken about unpleasant people being the current trend,
STEPH. They are still unlikeable, though they might appeal to an actor or a writer
as a good 'meaty' role/character. Personally, I don't care for them any better in
books or movies.  :P

Steph

« Reply #1768 on: February 17, 2013, 07:09:19 AM »
I just seem to think that every time, I pick up a book that is a best seller for higher ends, that the characters are no one that I would care to know.
Finished the Patricia Briggs.. Loved it..Anna and Charles are really interesting. and they left the end with a new and very very large problem.

Babi

« Reply #1769 on: February 17, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »
  Which means, of course, that you'll have to buy the next book to see how they handle the 'very, very
large problem'.   ;D

Steph

« Reply #1770 on: February 18, 2013, 06:24:09 AM »
Her two paranormal series are interlinked, so it will affect both of her series. I see why and where she is going and it should be fun.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1771 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
I know you have all already seen this, but it belongs here, since Babi was one of our stalwarts.

Very sad news...
We have heard from her daughter, Valerie, that Babi, Barbara Simpson, our long- time friend and Seniornet/Seniorlearn Discussion Leader, passed away last night after a sudden illness.

Steph

« Reply #1772 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:26 AM »
Oh Babi, we share all of the science fiction characters. I will always think ofyou when reading them.

Frybabe

« Reply #1773 on: March 07, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »
BBC has an article about a SciFi story I read several months ago called Wool. In the article I found most interesting the author's comments on how he came about the title of the book, how he developed the silo as the living structure, and the final paragraph which are his thoughts on hardcopy books vs. ebooks.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21674019

Wool is an interesting story about people living in a silo type structure and who were told that to go outside would be certain death from poisonous air, etc. Those that were condemned were sent outside to clean the only window viewing the destroyed earth. I liked it; apparently, a lot of others did too.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1774 on: March 07, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »
That's an interesting article, Frybabe, and makes the story sound like something I would enjoy.  His comments about ebooks: I haven't gotten there yet.  The way I process information works better with a print book.  Same with audiobooks--I don't process them as well.  So I'd better hope that my vision outlasts my hearing, which so far looks to be the case.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1775 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:32 AM »
Sounds like Wool has an element similar to Genesis by Bernard Beckett, which I think you recommended, Pat. I found Genesis very interesting.

Steph

« Reply #1776 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:37 AM »
Print books work especially well for me with lots of characters. I am just now reading the latest Elizabeth George and she seems to have three different plots going and the darn thing is 600 pages long. Not sure I could keep up on audio books or ebooks.
My audio book in the car just now is "Her Fearful Symmetry" Wild.. wild.. written Audrey Niffeneger(?)..

Frybabe

« Reply #1777 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
I just finished book three in Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series. It ended with something of a cliffhanger. Now I must scramble to find book four.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1778 on: March 14, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Well at least you know from the number of books left that there must be a way out, with a lot of the characters surviving.  Campbell likes cliffhangers.  This isn't the worst.

Steph

« Reply #1779 on: March 15, 2013, 06:33:23 AM »
Finished the Niffenegger.. It possibly counts as science fiction.. actually fantasy or possibly horror at the end. A very interesting book., written by the same woman who did The Time Travelers Wife.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1780 on: March 16, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
Steph, I looked up the Niffeneger. I didn't dare read all the summary (don't like spoilers) but it looks really interesting.  Of course, I'm a sucker for themes with twins.  Sometimes they hit home and sometimes they don't.

This month's f2f sci-fi book was Kurt Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan.  This is sort of a prelude to Slaughterhouse Five, written ten years later.  I don't recommend it unless you're a Vonnegut fan.  Although it lacks bloodshed, it's kind of Slaughterhouse Five with the hopeful bits left out.  It does have his usual scathing social commentary.

Steph

« Reply #1781 on: March 17, 2013, 06:06:48 AM »
I have never been able to deal with Vonnegut..
The Niffeniger is a twin book with a double set.. one set a mirror twin set.. I have really liked both of her books and will check to see if she has written anything else.But she does a very strange mind indeed.

Frybabe

« Reply #1782 on: March 24, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
I just finished an interesting 90 page story called Felix and the Frontier by Chester Burton "Cheeseburger" Brown. The characters are all robots. It is simply and cleanly written, a pleasure to read. The main character is Felix who tends to put a happy, optimistic face on things.  Almost all Brown's works are e-book only. I got my copy when Amazon offered it as a freebie. Most of his e-books are very short and pricier that I think they should be for how short they are. Inflation is sure hitting the e-book world.

Steph

« Reply #1783 on: March 25, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »
Big article in yesterdays newspaper over the popularity of ebooks in our local libraries and how expensive this is for the libraries...

Frybabe

« Reply #1784 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »
I vaguely remember even borrowing one ebook from our library but don't remember if I finished reading it or what it was. Sigh!  There are a few mystery books I'd like to read, but for the most part, I haven't found much I like there. I use Amazon's lending library because they don't have a time limit to have read it, and I've found more books there that I'd like to read. The only thing is that you can only borrow one book a month and you have to be an Amazon Prime member.

Last night I ordered Chester Burton Brown's Simon in Space. I liked the price compared with his other works and wanted to read more of his work. from Amazon "the simple story of a man without memories recovering his identity into a twist-filled, idea-rich adventure through a complex galactic culture. Simon's quest to discover his hidden past uncovers ever larger secrets, including the resting place of the most terrible weapon ever devised and the truth behind the covert domestication of the human race by robots."

Steph

« Reply #1785 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:33 AM »
What is this with the plot of no memories. Just recently there has been a rash of books with this theme for the hero.( or heroine)

Frybabe

« Reply #1786 on: March 26, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »
Simon in Space was published in print in 2008, so I don't know if you want to include that in recent. Be that as it may, I have often noticed, like you have, that books on the same subject but with different authors often show up about the same time. I've noticed it especially in nonfiction. It always struck me as odd and a little more than coincidental.

I've come up with several conjectures: coincidence (not likely for most), same publisher or subsidiary with two good manuscripts but not sure which will "take off", publisher wants to ride on the coattails of a recently published popular book.

Steph

« Reply #1787 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18:42 AM »
I suspect that riding the coattails is probably the main reason.. Also some non fiction seems to spring up alike and it is the result of so much research.. Maybe they should have run into each other. I know that several nonfiction books were held back when another book on the same subject came out first.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #1788 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
Frybaby: In reference to our conversation in the “Introduction” forum: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=46.msg187919#msg187919

In my cyber travels, I’ve discovered so many steampunk definitions my head spins. It’s true that Steampunk is classified as a subgenre of science fiction and/or fantasy. However, that definition is dependent upon who one speaks with; a die-hard sci-fi supporter or dyed-in-the-wool fantasy fanatic may deny steampunk’s very existence. But historical fiction lovers (non-romance too) seem more receptive to its inclusion into their genre sect. Steampunk devotees classified it as GENRE.  :D

Overall, MY definition summarizes like this: Steampunk is alternative history based during England’s Victorian and Industrial era (powered by steam though coal is periodically mentioned). However that period also spans across the pond, into the USA; we had an industrial period that was influenced by England’s. The science fiction part is the ongoing evolution of machinery and other mechanisms that aids in the story’s adventurous, mysterious plot. It’s not important that a writer sticks with historical fact, changing events and their outcomes makes for interesting reading. Though some writer’s do adhere to history while include steam machinery for “alternative” value. Then there are stories that are NOT based during historical periods, instead present day.  Again the variety of definitions abound!

Adding more flavors to this subgenre authors will provide themes using paranormal entities, fairies, mythological characters, military/war themes, or space opera elements. Zombies and apocalyptical scenarios are quite popular today with a steampunk twist. And it goes without saying, really, but the most sought after story includes vampires and werewolves (elements prevalent well before the “Twilight” series came upon the scene).

Now, I’m gonna stray from the main topic of steampunk and introduce another subgenre (?). In the USA we have the beautiful pioneer period; adding raw, earthy flavors to Steampunk. It’s referred to as Weird Western, also known as the “Wild, Wild West”. Remember the 1960’s series by the same name? Remember the book turned movie, “Cowboys and Aliens”? For the record, I confess this is my most favored genre. Makes for another action-packed adventure in someone’s over active imagination.

Also in my cyber travels I’ve read about stanch science fiction, fantasy and western addicts who vehemently abhor Steampunk/Weird Western individually or in combinations thereof. I refuse to partake in the politics of keeping a genre’s bloodline pure. Those who want to keep genres pure, I encourage and applaud anyone for their hard work and dedication for a valuable cause. However, like them, I will support my cause…  ;D Steampunk gives me the feel of “stepping outside the box”; it’s unique, thought provoking, and inspiring. For instance, I’m drawing up plans to build a Toy Fox Terrier robot. My jewelry making ideas are so many I have to jot them down in a notebook, so as not forget them.

In summary, again my humble viewpoint, Steampunk is alternative history combined with science fiction, fantasy and/or western genres. It possesses no walls, as vampires, zombies, fairies, cowboys, military, elements sow many beloved stories on the internet and in books stores (mortar and cyber).

For more information I recommend these sites, listed in order of value-added information:

http://www.ministryofpeculiaroccurrences.com/what-is-steampunk/
http://www.steampunk.com/what-is-steampunk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
http://www.romanceandmystery.com/STEAMPUNK.html
http://austinsirkin.tumblr.com/post/20317870381/what-is-steampunk-its-come-to-my-attention
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Frybabe

« Reply #1789 on: March 27, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
Thanks Scottieluvr. My head was spinning when I read the Wikipedia explanation. I like yours better. I have to say that I think some books I Saw listed for that subgenre have a rather tenuous claim. It is sometimes difficult to classify the genre of a book, don't you think? There are so many crossovers.

A few days ago I read a short SciFi book called Felix and the Frontier. All the characters in it were robots, some of which were steam powered. It was a delightful read. Now I am back to reading Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series. I like to read Sci-fi, mysteries, and history, but will dig into others on occasion. I tend to stay away from primarily romance and horror.

BTW, Weird Western works for me. I loved Wild, Wild West and thoroughly enjoyed Spaceships and Aliens.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #1790 on: March 27, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
... I have to say that I think some books I Saw listed for that subgenre have a rather tenuous claim. It is sometimes difficult to classify the genre of a book, don't you think? There are so many crossovers.

Yes, I agree.  ;)  I have a horror story, can't remember the name, that should have been labeled steampunk. Now I carefully read blurbs and reviews to verify my steampunk selections.

A few days ago I read a short SciFi book called Felix and the Frontier. All the characters in it were robots, some of which were steam powered. It was a delightful read. Now I am back to reading Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series. I like to read Sci-fi, mysteries, and history, but will dig into others on occasion. I tend to stay away from primarily romance and horror.

I am noting the book, "Felix and the Frontier" on my Good Reads site. Thanks for the share. It's received relatively good reviews on GR too (4.3 stars). Which influences me not at all in choosing to bookmark it; its the robots that sold me on the read.  ;)

BTW, Weird Western works for me. I loved Wild, Wild West and thoroughly enjoyed Spaceships and Aliens.

Even the new Wild, Wild West movie was pretty good.  ;D Check this one out, "Coyote Cal's Guide to the Weird, Wild West", its free at Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007LN9KG4/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title.  I havent read it yet but it looks intriguing.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Steph

« Reply #1791 on: March 28, 2013, 06:46:05 AM »
I love science fiction, but mostly alternate worlds.. Anne McCaffrey... Marion Zimmer Bradley....Robert Heinlin in his prime.. I like straight western history, but don't think I would like the west combined with fantasy and did not like Wild Wild West.

Frybabe

« Reply #1792 on: March 30, 2013, 08:04:51 AM »
Scottieluvr, I found this on my local news site, Pennlive, this morning. Looks like Steampunk is alive and well in my area.

Today (March 29), I'll be going over to Brute Force Studios in Harrisburg to check out their steampunk creations - including mechanical arms, monocles and something called a "Bronto-Blaster Express." The studio's work was actually featured on a steampunk themed episode of ABC's "Castle." Owner Thomas Willeford, aka Lord Archibald "Feathers" Featherstone will be talking about his love of the genre. Photographer Dan Gleiter will be joining me, so you can rest assured there will be some great photos for you to check out this evening.

I'll be also getting a steampunk makeover myself - all gearing up for Saturday's coverage of the Steampunk at Gettysburg: Film, Art and Music Festival. Photographer Sean Simmers and I will be taking the festival by storm, checking out what exactly goes on at a Steampunk festival. Be sure to follow our Twitter pages (@JuliaHatmaker and @SeanSimmers) for pics and updates.

Also found is the website for the steampunk festival: http://www.steampunkatgettysburg.com/
I looked at the Brute Force site. Pricey, interesting. Who knew! You just never know what is lurking in your neighborhood.

I keep adding to this post. Just came across an article about the artist, Thomas Willieford.
http://blog.pennlive.com/go/2013/03/steampunk_harrisburg_thomas_wi.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Steph

« Reply #1793 on: March 31, 2013, 06:08:31 AM »
mark

Scottieluvr

« Reply #1794 on: March 31, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
I love science fiction, but mostly alternate worlds.. Anne McCaffrey... Marion Zimmer Bradley....Robert Heinlin in his prime.. I like straight western history, but don't think I would like the west combined with fantasy and did not like Wild Wild West.

Hello Steph,

Yes, steampunk or weird western is an acquired taste. I toed the water for some time before fully immersing myself.  :)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #1795 on: March 31, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
Scottieluvr, I found this on my local news site, Pennlive, this morning. Looks like Steampunk is alive and well in my area.

Today (March 29), I'll be going over to Brute Force Studios in Harrisburg to check out their steampunk creations - including mechanical arms, monocles and something called a "Bronto-Blaster Express."...I'll be also getting a steampunk makeover myself - all gearing up for Saturday's coverage of the Steampunk at Gettysburg: Film, Art and Music Festival. Photographer Sean Simmers and I will be taking the festival by storm, checking out what exactly goes on at a Steampunk festival. Be sure to follow our Twitter pages (@JuliaHatmaker and @SeanSimmers) for pics and updates.

Also found is the website for the steampunk festival: http://www.steampunkatgettysburg.com/
I looked at the Brute Force site. Pricey, interesting. Who knew! You just never know what is lurking in your neighborhood.

I keep adding to this post. Just came across an article about the artist, Thomas Willieford.
http://blog.pennlive.com/go/2013/03/steampunk_harrisburg_thomas_wi.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Frybaby,

Thank you for the share.  It was awesome to read the article and visit the website.  I’ve not found a local event, but that doesn’t mean one hasn’t (or is in the workings of being) coordinated. I’m not certain to attend anyway, I hate crowds.

Also, proof positive that steampunk provides another venue for fun and frolic: a reason to play pretend. The one article spoke about a gentleman all decked out in his full steampunk persona. A common practice amid the steampunk community; a kin to Star Trekkers during Sci-Fi Cons. There were tons of role playing groups on Good Reads, but many are dead. Anywhere else online I’ve never researched. As of this writing I’m enjoying developing my own steampunk persona that I will post on my personal web site. Just because I’m 50 years old, doesn’t mean I can’t play dress up. *S*

All this weekend our television provider is showing HBO for free.  Cowboys and Aliens is on all weekend long… no doubt what I’m doing this weekend. *LOL*  Yesterday, dear-hubby even watched it with me.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1796 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
Pamela, looking at all those links, i see that I've been circling around steampunk for a while.  Examples:

I've read the relevant Jules Verne, H. G. Wells and Doyle.

Tim powers: The Anubis Gates is on my TBR list.  I've read Three Days to Never, a very gripping multiple-time-strand book, but not steampunk.  I see he's co-author of the non-fiction Steampunk: The Beginning.

William Gibson/Bruce Sterling The Difference Engine: I've read other books by both of them and liked them.

Neil Stephenson: The Diamond Age: again, I like his stuff, haven't read this one.

China Mieville: He has an ambition to write one of every genre variation.  I've read The City and the City, a police procedural with weird realities.

Philip Pullman: I've read him, have issues with him.

Mervyn Peake: Titus Alone.  I've read the first of the trilogy, Titus Groan, which doesn't seem to be steampunk to me.

Movies:

Metropolis, I've seen it.

City of Lost Children: that's a very weird, haunting movie.

Hayao Miyazaki: I like what I've seen of his stuff, but from the description, don't see why Future Boy Conan is steampunk.

So next step is to dive in.  I guess Anubis Gates for a start.  Do you have a better suggestion?

Steph

« Reply #1797 on: April 01, 2013, 06:26:46 AM »
Oh me,, not my type of science fiction at all. Looking at your reading list..

Frybabe

« Reply #1798 on: April 01, 2013, 07:24:50 AM »
I have three William Gibson's in my TBR pile, but The Difference Engine isn't one of them.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #1799 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Pamela, looking at all those links, i see that I've been circling around steampunk for a while.  Examples [...] So next step is to dive in.  I guess Anubis Gates for a start.  Do you have a better suggestion?

Great start if I've ever seen one... yep, jump in with your eyes and ears opened that's all there is to it.  :D
Scottieluvr aka Pamela