Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 359859 times)

Frybabe

Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #2120 on: May 20, 2014, 06:54:05 AM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 30,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

I am skipping the rest of the Priscilla Hutchins series for now. Hutch herself had little presence in the Omega. It looks like that continues in the next book, while the sixth book she is on another space trip. Both books five and six were rather badly panned by readers and some book critics. Book five, Odyssey, appears to continue the trend to philosophical, political and funding issues for the Academy. Not in the mood for that just now.

Steph

« Reply #2121 on: May 20, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »
He is still on my buy list, but just now that list is overwhelming as well. Sigh.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2122 on: May 23, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
I just picked up The Martian from the library, along with the June book club selection: I always Loved You.  Wonder which I'll start first?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2123 on: May 27, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
Wonder which I'll start first?
The answer is The Martian, since I Always loved You reeked of perfume.  I'm allergic to perfumes, and have this problem a lot with library books. 

Anyway, it was a good read.  It starts off showing too much first book--still figuring out how to say things, and you get a bit tired of the numbers involved in potato crops, but it picks up speed and is a very good survival-how do I get out of here alive-suspense story.  There's a lot of number crunching: if my tanks will produce x amount of oxygen, and I need y amount, how long will I live?  But the science isn't complicated, and you can ignore the details since he spells out the point.

The biggest improbability is the number of times they are stuck saying something like: we have to get this in place in 27 1/2 hours, and our protocol is 27 3/4 hours, how can we cut down.  Then they do some unlikely fix and it works.  I was going to complain about him eating raw potatoes for food, since your body can't digest them raw--nothing in your gut breaks through the cell wall--but then I realized that they had been freeze-dried by sitting outside, so that would have broken down the cell walls.

My favorite lines:

"But seeing his status doesn't help," Mindy said.  "It's not like you can do anything about it if he falls behind.  This is a pointless task."

"How long have you worked for the government?"  Venkat sighed.

mrssherlock

« Reply #2124 on: May 31, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
Pat:  I envy you reading The Martian for the first time.  A unique voice which will be heard again soon I hope.

After the Golden Age by Hilary Vaughn relates the dilemma facing the untalented young daughter of the two most powerful super heroes in her town of Commerce City.  A provocative take on the super hero craze.  A fun read.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #2125 on: June 05, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »
While I was at the library today, I picked up Daniel H. Wilson's, Robopocalypse(2011). Spielberg has the rights to the book and has it "in development" for a movie.

Wilson has a Ph.D. in robotics and has written several robot oriented Scifi novels, a book of short stories called Robot Uprisings, and How to Survive a robot Uprising which is supposedly a non-fiction book aimed at Teens/YA. He is about 36 but looks looks a lot younger, in fact, on the jacket cover photo, he looks barely out of his teens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_H._Wilson

I'm in the middle of reading a just okay book (Kindle lending library) called Last Stand of the Legion: Rift (Blood War Book 1) by Rod Carstens. The author repeats himself several times, like he has to drill the main character's mindset into you. The story is okay, but doesn't stir me like some other authors. The editing, so far, is actually good for an e-book.

Speaking of e-books, Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast is in the Overdrive electronic book catalog, so I have put a request in for it. Heaven knows when I will actually be able to read it. The Overdrive library doesn't say how many people are ahead of me, not that I could find anyway.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2126 on: June 05, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
I've been waiting for the paperback of Steadfast.  The British version is now available, so maybe I'll get it.

Frybabe

« Reply #2127 on: June 06, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »
I always wonder why so many American authors have their books out in paperback in the UK before it comes out here.

I have The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier series in Hardback, the earlier series is all paperback. I goofed when I ordered the first one and so I feel like I have to follow suit with the rest in HB to keep my bookshelves more even. Silly, I know. but I like my books even sizes if possible. It really kills me to have to borrow this rather than buy.

I also like, once I have started one, to have the complete series in the same venue rather than some in print and some as e-books. The Campbell books are pricey any way you want them (except from the library). Did you notice that (at least on ABE) both Steadfast and Guardian command just about the same as new - very little price drop. His and McDevitt's books are difficult to find in the used books stores locally.

Frybabe

« Reply #2128 on: June 07, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
So far, I am liking  Daniel H. Wilson's, Robopocalypse. It starts out at the end of the robot war and from there goes to a series of vignettes showing isolated events that seem unconnected but hinted at and led up to the war. I can see why Speilberg is interested in it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #2129 on: June 08, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
Completely off topic I chanced upon an ego trip movie*, Iron Invader, which was a hoot without the sound (I couldn't watch it all the way through.) 

*Written directed and produced by one individual.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mrssherlock

« Reply #2130 on: June 10, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
Infinity Beach is awesome.  Te story line is suspenseful, the characters are believable, there is no mawky resolution, just a logical extrapolation of the characters' personnae.  FF suggest this as being of similar interest to readers of IB.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216048/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4  I always look at these books FF suggests, found some goodies there.  I like to read early books by an author which is mentioned here and on FF. 
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #2131 on: June 10, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »
Robopocalypse is really interesting. It starts with the Briefing (Prolog) at the end of the Robot Wars, where the narrator is one of the team that put an end to it and who was questioned at Congressional hearings.  The rest of the book, so far, the narrator pieces together various isolated records and incidents that were the precursor to the war. Much of it is written as transcripts or assemblages of video, audio and other types with a notation at the beginning of each describing what each segment contains and occasionally, the implications of the actions described. There is a sequel out, Robogenesis, which I will definitely read too.

Steph

« Reply #2132 on: June 12, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »
I love
Asimovs robots..Not too crazy about the others I have read.

Frybabe

« Reply #2133 on: June 12, 2014, 10:08:28 AM »
The ebook I requested through the library came in sooner than expected. Now I have three SciFi books to read.

Further thoughts on Robopocalypse: I am getting the impression that the robots that rise up against the human race are, for the most part, not intelligent so much as being reprogrammed and controlled by one computer mind that has become "aware". Just short of half way through the book now.

BTW: A supercomputer has just recently passed the Turing Test.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27762088
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/609757/Turing-test

Vernor Vinge, a professor of mathematics, computer scientist, and SciFi writer quote:

Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be ended.
    —"The Coming Technological Singularity" by Vernor Vinge, 1993

Steph

« Reply #2134 on: June 14, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
Since I cannot believe you can program in compassion,kindness and love, computers and robots are really always going to be thinkers, but not in charge.

Frybabe

« Reply #2135 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »
I think it depends on how you define consciousness (self awareness), Step. I don't believe that having a conscience (moral compass, guilt, sense of right and wrong, etc.) is necessarily inclusive . I don't know of any insects that have a conscience but they are likely to be self aware up to a limited point. Also, we have a few humans around who seem not to have much, if any, conscience. They are often called sociopaths and psychopaths. At any rate, no one yet has been able to pin down the precise nature of and definition of consciousness.

We are moving ever so much closer to computers that can self-replicate, self-diagnose, self-repair, and self-correct what was previously learned as new information comes in. They can communicate with each other remotely now without much, if any, human intervention. Of course, all this requires energy. So if they become troublesome, we can just pull the plug on their external energy sources and wait until the batteries die unless they are on solar or geothermal power. Nuclear power may take a while longer.

We could be in big trouble if we end up with computers with consciousness but no conscience. We are not likely to be around to see how this all shakes out.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2136 on: June 16, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
All this is supremely relevant to Blindsight, which I've now finished.  The main themes seem to be what is being human? what is consciousness? sentience?  What do you have if you leave out all this, but have something that's capable of acting complexly and appropriately?

The spaceship crew: The narrator has had half his brain cut out (because of epilepsy) and replaced by various other stuff.  He doesn't have much in the way of human emotions, but is very good at seeing everything, and making correct interpretations (if they don't involve him).  The linguist has had her brain partitioned in 4, each with a different personality.  The biologist is altered to sense different things than we do.  The fighter is a tough, pacifist military type; one of her functions is to act as a brake on the otherwise very efficient fighting machines.  The captain is a vampire, resurrected from ancient DNA.  Although he's genetically still pretty much a human, no one has a notion of his feelings or loyalties, how much he regards the crew simply as meat, how automatic he is.  And he interfaces with the ship to a disturbing degree.

Then they meet the aliens, and have to figure out a whole new level of which bits of what they see are conscious and what it means.

Like Frybabe, I found it a fascinating read.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2137 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
What did my f2f book club think of it?  They spent a lot of time griping about the science, which has a lot of holes in it, but they liked the issues, and debated a lot on them.  When asked who would read another book by this author, not many raised their hands (I did).

Frybabe

« Reply #2138 on: June 17, 2014, 06:55:41 AM »
In fact, PatH, I'd read Blindsight again. I am sure I missed things on the first read. Watts wrote a series beginning, I think, with Starfish, that I'd like to take a look at. His themes seem to revolve around broken (physical and/or mental, purposeful or accidental) people. People who have been relegated to the trash heap because of their supposed disabilities and inability to fit comfortably into "normal" society.

Pat, does the print version have a guide or further explanation of what is going on in the book? My free e-book doesn't. I had to wade through the book without benefit of such so some of the info you presented here, I missed in the reading.

Steph

« Reply #2139 on: June 17, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »
I am workin on yet another Cassandra Claire...This is #5 in the series..This is called Young Adult, but I am enjoying the series.. A new way to look at angels.

mrssherlock

« Reply #2140 on: June 18, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »
The mention of angels reminded me of the Sharon Shinn series, Samaria, rife with angels.  I see on Fantastic Fiction she has written other series, more titles for my list.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/sharon-shinn/
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2141 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »
Frybabe, I pretty much read Blindsight twice, and it helped.  I started it a month ago, got a third of the way in, then got sidetracked.  When I went back several weeks later, I knew I would have to start over again.  It helped.  The first time, I was having a lot of trouble figuring out what was going on, and keeping track of who was who.  Rereading, it made much more sense, and I could keep people straight.  Then, after I finished it, I reread some parts to clarify things in my mind.  Watts has a few notes, which I didn't read until afterward.  Most of it is explaining his rationale for the science involved, but there's a section called Sentience/Intelligence which talks about what consciousness is good for, and what it costs, in biologic terms.  I think he's wrong, but it fills in what he thinks about the scramblers, and about where earth may be heading.

Frybabe

« Reply #2142 on: June 19, 2014, 07:56:19 AM »
I have finished The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Guardian and begun the newest installment of the series, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast.

"Guardian" did not include very much in the way of battle scenes. Those that they engaged in were rather short. The battle, if you could really call it that, with the "Shield of Sol" fleet was very one-sided. The description and analysis of the opposing fleet was somewhat amusing. Kind of felt sorry for them because they had no clue about how to prepare for and conduct a real battle. Old Earth, apparently sacred to everyone, has tied themselves and the rest of the solar system up into a gigantic ball of red tape and neutrality in an effort to avoid further wars. Getting a decision on anything can and does take years.

"Steadfast" picks up where "Guardian" left off with a kidnapping and an attempted kidnapping. Rescue efforts are extremely difficult. I am still reading the planning stages of the rescue.

Steph

« Reply #2143 on: June 19, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
Jackie, Sharon Shinn is a favorite of mine and I think I have most if not all of the Alleluia series. I also note in my TBR file, I have two other books by her that are not part of the series. The angels are somewhat different in Cassandra Clare,, but her series is a fascinating one. Very complicated as to the life forms.

Frybabe

« Reply #2144 on: June 21, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
WOW! I just finished the latest Lost Fleet book. Steadfast finishes out with a whole new set of problems coming up: a secret fleet, stealthed from their own ships but not others, completely AI controlled warships (no crew).  I truly think someone wants everyone to think Black Jack went renegade. Can't wait for the next book which is likely to take a year or more.

Steph, Cassandra Clare's books are very popular here. I am shelving and pulling one or more of them almost every week.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2145 on: June 21, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
Ooh.  I've got to get ahold of Steadfast fast.  Looks like maybe he isn't petering out yet after all.

Frybabe

« Reply #2146 on: June 21, 2014, 10:49:02 PM »
Heck NO! The last book faked us out. He must have listened to his fans that weren't happy with so much talk and politics and wanted more battles. I think you will like the new developments Pat.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2147 on: June 22, 2014, 08:05:20 AM »
Campbell's strong point definitely isn't politics.

Steph

« Reply #2148 on: June 22, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »
Cassandra Clare has a very unusual take on the general fantasy.. she is writing for YoungAdults, but they are actually quite adult books. I have enjoyed the ones I have read.

mrssherlock

« Reply #2149 on: June 22, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
Steph:  FF lists several books by Casaandra Clare.  Which one should I start with?
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #2150 on: June 23, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
The series getting all the attention: The Mortal Instruments... volume 1. City of Bones, 2.City of Ashes  3. City of Glass  4.City of Fallen Angels  5.City of Lost Souls.. there is a 6 and final one in the series out, but don't have the name,  There is also a side by side series called. The Infernal Devices..  I have not read any of these, but have the first Clockwork Angel. She really must be read in sequence or you will be hopelessly lost.

Frybabe

« Reply #2151 on: June 24, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
I am more than half way through Rift, an average to mediocre military SciFi novel. It started out okay, but about 40% of the way through the dialog started up with the swearing. Also, while the beginning of the novel seemed to be fairly well edited, most of it is not: missing words, incorrect words, run on sentences. I am going to finish it anyway. The only truly interesting thing about the ground battle I am in the middle of right now is a "spike". It is an interesting conveyance to get the alien troops to the ground. I spears itself into the ground and opens to let five aliens out. The top of the spike has a 360 degree firing weapon that covers the five as they emerge from the device. Next up is Orson Scott Card's, Memories of Earth.

mrssherlock

« Reply #2152 on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
One of FF's recommendations is The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin Anderson.  After 10 or so pages seems good.
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #2153 on: June 25, 2014, 07:00:56 AM »
Thanks for that Jackie. Now I have two "new" series to look into. The first sage group is The Saga of Seven Suns beginning with Hidden Empire. I think I'll see if I can find them first, before starting on The Dark Between the Stars. I don't recall ever reading any Anderson although a few of his book titles sound familiar. He spent a lot of time writing Star Wars and Dune novels (fan fiction or sanctioned?) as well as a few Star Trek novels.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2154 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
Steph, you convinced me to try Cassandra Clare.  It'll be a while, though.  There's a waiting list for the 54 copies in my library system.  The following books in the series don't have nearly as many copies, but no waiting list either.

Steph

« Reply #2155 on: June 26, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
I have been laughing. A friend likes Science fiction light and wanted a recommendation. I suggested my much loved Terry Pratchett. She has fallen in love with Sam Vimes, the witches, everything. She is driving her little library nuts with requests for allllll.. She said I had created a monster.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2156 on: June 26, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
I'm laughing too, Steph.  Good for you for making another convert.

Frybabe

« Reply #2157 on: July 02, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »
Gave up on Card's Memories of Earth, but am enjoying Kevin J. Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns: Hidden Empire.

mrssherlock

« Reply #2158 on: July 02, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
I'm not sure about Blindsight, stay tuned.

Mercedes Lackey, author of a jillion books. remember Valdemar, has a series about Elemental Masters, magic tool users, which is entertaining.  Just finished her latest Blood Red which retells Little Red Riding Hood to set the scene for Rosa, an earth master.  That means when she is pursuing bad magic  practicioners she can call on and get extra strength from dirt, growing things, etc.  Cities are poisoned by man so she lives in the Schwartzwald.  There are 8 or 10 books in the series which until now was centered in England
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #2159 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
I have read a few of the Lackey books and have I think three still to be read. Some are more interesting than other.