Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1983039 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #15400 on: June 30, 2015, 07:08:40 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Bellamarie, I'm in the midst of cleaning out some of my many bookmarks that no longer link or I don't need anymore. I ran across the map/atlas site which I forgot I had. http://www.davidrumsey.com/home One of the things I like to do is follow the action on a map as I read. I haven't been up on this site lately, so I was surprised and delighted to see the new program that allows you to overlay old maps and new. I've have to try it out soon.

Oh, super! I can preview my posts now, something that stopped working for me a while back.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15401 on: June 30, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
Yes, Stph I played around and best guess the normal font size is about a 7 today but when I post I make the post larger and chose to use a 12 which is a normal size for a lot of web sites and for now I will do that with any posts I write till the method is found that we can adjust the entire web site to a larger print - there are always kinks and so this appears to be our kink of the day  ;)

OH dear it is hard to even write since the writing is in this tiny font size so where hitting the correct key was never my forte this will not be easy - we just need patience because I am certain it will all be worked out
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #15402 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Is this going to work. I set it for 12.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Tomereader1

« Reply #15403 on: June 30, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
It shows up "huge".
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15404 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:54 PM »
It looks about 12point on my ipad.

Steph

« Reply #15405 on: July 01, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
yes, it works, but only for my posting. the rest is the teeny tiny stuff.Darn.. I liked the old site.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15406 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
Hello, Everybody. 

It's a good thing to find out that the old site which everybody liked the look of, and  in which we are working somewhat ceaselessly and  tirelessly to get that look  again,  looked  that way because of eight years of tweaking it to our own preferences.

This is actually how it looks without tweaking, and unfortunately in the list of tweaks there are hierarchies of concern.  Like security.  Font sizes are not able to be controlled at present by one tweak of  the website itself, the user has to make his own  adjustments for a while. Lots of glitches.  Lots of stress and long hours by quite a few people. Little by little, day by day, things are changing in appearance.  It's only been since Monday night.   Isn't this Wednesday morning?

We're working on it. Lots of people are advising. A lot has gone on. We now have an upgrade in the server hosting this website,  in the speed of this website,  in the dedicated IP, and on top of all that a new visible upgrade in software which had to be done, as they are abandoning the old one.  That's a lot for two days.  The actual upgrading itself went beautifully and was really professionally done.

Lots of frustrating problems have ensued in trying to restore it as we want it.   Perhaps  it doesn't seem like anything is happening?  Or that we can't see it doesn't  look as it did?  Or perhaps it seems that nobody cares?   Or perhaps it doesn't seem as if anybody is getting hives from the stress?

So that's why I came in here to say: we are working on it, and we can all help by maintaining a positive attitude, and  patience will be necessary on everybody's  part, and appreciated.  Just keep swimming and it will be all right.

And hey, as they used to say where I grew up, "could be woise."  :)

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15407 on: July 01, 2015, 11:01:22 AM »
We  really do appreciate all you and your elves do, Ginny!  Interesting, though, for me, the format has changed very slightly, and nothing has changed with the print size.  Go figure!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #15408 on: July 01, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
Love the speed. Your "elves" must have chased a bunch of "gremlins" out. I thought the type was a bit tiny too. But I used Control + to size it up a bit.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15409 on: July 01, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
Me, too, on the Control + to get it to fit my eyes. 

And, that's the conundrum, isn't it.  The  size that  fits my eyes is way too big for someone else's eyes..and their settings on their own devices.  So, without putting a size into my post...which then forces THAT size on everybody, I just use Control + and get it to the size I want for my old green eyes. 

Ginny has worked long, long hours and consulted with people here and in England to get this upgrade accomplished and to make it as useable as it already is. 

I'm so relieved and grateful it's come out as useable and manageable as it has.  I had nightmares about the site being down for hours and/or days.  I know that's happened at other sites with upgrades, and I know how many glitches can occur when a site is upgraded.  My bank just did that....and they're still trying to sort out access problems 2 weeks later.  WHEW we don't have that.   Getting to a new and dedicated and faster server is also wonderful.

So...yep...some things yet to be ironed out, but in general, I'd say we're 96% good!  And isn't that incredible when we don't have a paid staff of techies to work on this.  [Maybe that's a good thing, having seen some websites that do have paid staff and how messed up those sites are.  ;)]

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15410 on: July 01, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
Interesting Jane that the font size is showing up differently for each of us - I must say today for me the normal size is a bit larger than yesterday and therefore more readable - as is it appears to be 'for me' about a 10 - small but not requiring a magnifying glass as of yesterday - I think we are all so appreciative of what effort y'all are putting into this change - there are probably several other issues that we are not even aware of - I think we were attempting to make some kind of fix that we had control over - now this Control + that you are talking about - not sure of what that operation looks like

I see no button or drop down link with the word 'control' - are you suggesting that after we type our message on our keyboard we hit control and the Plus sign at the same time? And since the + sign is an upper case symbol I already hit control to even get the plus - please would you explain further?

I do see a new symbol button on the menu that shows a large letter A with a curved arrow to a smaller letter A and another with a blue arrow surrounded by a red parenthesis - not sure what they are for and what they make happen in our posts if we use them and then I also see another button that shows a capitol T and a lower case t - again, not sure how to use that button either.  When you get a chance would you please guide us to the use of these three buttons and then how you do the Control +   
Thanks  :-*
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15411 on: July 01, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
Barbara: 
now this Control + that you are talking about - not sure of what that operation looks like

When you come to SL and you're ready to read the posts, if you find them too small, simply press the CTRL button on your computer keyboard and then the + key.  My CTRL button is on the lower left of my keyboard, below the Shift key. My + key is in the upper right hand side of my keyboard, to the left of my backspace key.

If it's still not large enough, press the + key again.   If it's too large, use the CTRL key and the - key.

It has nothing to do with typing your posts.  It has to do with reading all the posts across our site.

I don't know what the A a is that you're speaking of, but it sounds as if, on your device like an IPAD, it would also be a way to enlarge the font in the posts you are reading.  It may be that an Apple computer has that as well.  I don't know.  I have a PC with windows.

I hope that helps.

jane

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15412 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
Tra la - did the control + thing and IT WORKS - terrific - thanks Jane

as to the symbols that I tried to dope out I too have a PC that I run windows 8 on and adjacent and in the line where the buttons to create lists are located followed by the button with the two headed arrow to make a line across a page there are two buttons I have never seen and since I do not have a smart phone that may be what they are used for however, they are showing up on my message center to create a post. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15413 on: July 01, 2015, 04:58:20 PM »
Ah ha...ok, Barbara, I see them now when I'm writing this post.    I hadn't noticed those before.

I don't know what they're for, but I'll see if I can figure it out....or maybe somebody here has already figured it out.

Thanks!

Jane

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #15414 on: July 01, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »
Gosh, it's been a long time since I've posted.   What have I been reading?  Well, mysteries mainly, but I started a f2f bookclub here in my retirement community and it was about time, too!  I chose 5 people I knew, although  I don't know anyone well (even though I have lived here 3 years - shows my introverted personality), but these 5 I was sure read a lot.  I started off by choosing the book LIGHT BETWEEN THE OCEANS by M.L.Stedman; a good book.  And this coming month we are reading and discussing a book by Elizabeth Berg - TALK TO PEOPLE.   A book I would never have read otherwise chosen by one of the participants.  As I started the bookclub it is my responsibility to make sure we get the appropriate books for the discussion, which entails my calling our library and requesting them on my card - which our Outreach program brings here on a bus monthly.

Such is life in a retirement community where you can still survive with books to read.  We do have an excellent painting class weekly and I have framed a few of my very amateurish watercolors and have them on the wall above my computer, no artist am I but they add color!  And a wonderful group of people who get together semi-monthly to discuss current events and we argue politics. 

serenesheila

« Reply #15415 on: July 02, 2015, 08:05:22 AM »
Ella, so good to hear from you, again.  Would you tell me more about your living situation?  I am about ready to move into an assisted living facility.

Thanks, much,
Sheila

Steph

« Reply #15416 on: July 02, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
ok.. but how long are we going to have to remember to hit the control+ button. This has been a hectic week. for me anyway.. For some reason, I also am having on senior net alone, a variation on color of print.. Sort of weird.. Not connected to seniornet is the fact that my USB ports on my laptop quit suddenly yesterday. Talking to my computer guru, he says he has three customers with the same problem and he thinks it is associated with an update by HP.. ugh

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15417 on: July 02, 2015, 09:19:06 AM »
ok.. but how long are we going to have to remember to hit the control+ button. This has been a hectic week. for me anyway.

It's been a VERY hectic week for a lot of us.  Please be patient about the font size.  Marcie and Ginny are working LONG, LONG hours and looking for the mods and CSS programming code to find a way to fix the font size.  I don't find using Control + a huge burden.

Given all that could have happened with a huge site upgrade, I'm personally very relieved that we were not down for days, that we didn't lose any of our files or discussions or headings or archives.

If it's overwhelming for you, I'm sorry, but Ginny and Marcie are working their tails off to get things fixed.

Tomereader1

« Reply #15418 on: July 02, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
Another glitch I seem to be getting is that with each topic that I regularly get "notifications" on, I have had to go in an click "notify".  Then, when I get the page, it looks similar to what I usually see, but I have to drop down or up as the case may be, and click on "Pages: and click on the very last number (in this case 386) in order to get to current posts.  Is this something that will have to be done each time ?  As of now, I am getting only two (2) notifications:  The Library and Mystery Corner.  I expected the rest to appear after I clicked Notify, but no notifications from my other selected boards just yet.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15419 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:20 AM »
Hm I never thought to look and yes I get a small number of notifications that there were posts since I was last on the Senior Learn site - I just assumed (ahum we all know what that really means - ah so ) anyhow I did assume there were very few of us posting and therefore the couple or one notification is all there was... Now I need to look

I am sure that those working on the site do not want to hear about one more problem but then lets list them as we notice so that the site becomes what they and all of us really want -

I had a great experience with hitting control + in that is did it once and it holds so that everytime I come in the print is exactly the size it was when I first hit control + - I do have an icon link on my bookmark toolbar and I use Firefox on windows 8

Hehe this is like Spring Cleaning - it goes on with a vengeance for a couple of weeks with no time for anything - I am remembering how fathers took the kids out for a quick meal every night as we cleaned, waxed, polished, hung out the carpets, washed all the curtains and bed spreads, inventoried, made a list of what needed replacing, had screens repaired, washed windows etc etc for about 2 weeks.

Haven't done that kind of Spring Cleaning in years now but I can see if I kept it up I would not be trying to clear out 40 years of living - all in all it appears those who make this site possible for us are up to their eyes Spring Cleaning after some major remodeling was accomplished.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #15420 on: July 02, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
Sheila - Perhaps this will answer your questions:

http://www.westminsterthurber.org/

I live in an independent apt. here, but in the not-too-distant future I will probably go to assisted living, etc.  I am 87, use a walker,  but still drive to a nearby grocery and drug store and on good days (when my body tells me it's okay) I will walk to the grocery store with my walker and get a few things.

Good day to you and good luck!  It's a difficult decision, but one we must all face, this getting older factor.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15421 on: July 02, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »
I don't think the notifications glitch has been reported and since I don't use notifications, I had no idea.  I'll let Ginny and Marcie know.  THANKS!!

CallieOK

« Reply #15422 on: July 02, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Some of the posts are in tiny print but others are not.

I'm not having any problem with notifications.  My link is set to "show new replies to your posts" (meaning folders I've posted in at any time in the past) and that's exactly what comes up on my screen.  I click on the "show new replies...." link and the list comes up just like it always has.

What is it with tiny print in almost all publications these days?  News magazines are the worst - some newspapers not far behind.   White print on a dark background is just as bad.   (Grumble grumble).

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #15423 on: July 02, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
I have my link set like Callie's and everything is working OK.  I always check the site on my iPad so the font is easily changed with pinching out with two fingers for larger font or pinching in for smaller font.  Quick and easy.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15424 on: July 02, 2015, 06:32:33 PM »
Oh I can see FlaJean on a portable devise you can pinch to make the font size small or large - some of us still use our home computers where that is not possible - hmm - how to get around that since going for a larger size font could mess up those  using hand held devices.

Callie some of us when we type out our post are using one of the larger fotnt size available and others are simply typing without changing the font size so that is why you see several sizes in various posts. I ended up finding using Jane's trick of hitting control and then the + sign till everything was the size I was comfortable with the change remained when I come into the site using my bookmarked link - as a result of that change even typing out a message the font is larger and for me readable - how it prints out for others to see I am not sure since as I say everything on Senior Learn for me is now about a size 11 or maybe 12.

CallieOK

« Reply #15425 on: July 02, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »
Barb,  I understand the larger or smaller thing.  Just putting in my 2 cents about what I see.   :) 
Sometimes, I'm on my pc and sometimes, I'm on my Tablet and can do the finger-swipe to enlarge things. 
Right now, I'm on the pc and what I'm typing is very small.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15426 on: July 02, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
Yes, and Callie there is something to be said for those using a hand held devise - not sure how that is overcome to satisfy those who still access the site on a home computer - ah so - and the 21st century moves along like it or not...  ;)

CallieOK

« Reply #15427 on: July 02, 2015, 11:35:01 PM »
 Onward and Upward, Barb!   :)

marjifay

« Reply #15428 on: July 03, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »
How do you tell what size the print is?

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #15429 on: July 03, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »
Interesting. My ctrl+ seems to be holding, but some of the posts are small and others more normal.. So I would guess it will work out. I really amnot trying to be a pain, but with a variety of things happening on my laptop, I am not sure what is seniorlearn and what is the computer and what is myexercise band.. Sigh

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15430 on: July 03, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »
Steph... I hope you can get your computer problems sorted out.  That's always so frustrating for me.

I'm glad the Ctrl + is holding for you.  It seems to be for me, too.

I think the reason you are seeing differences is that some people are putting the size tag into their posts.  That, unfortunately, will override your own choice of size and what you can control with the Control+ option.  Mine is holding, too, but if someone uses a size tag, all bets are off and their post comes through at the size they've specified. That can make the font size much larger or much smaller than what each of us has chosen via ctrl +

Are you having cooler weather in the mountains?  Do the dogs adjust to the new place easily?

Jane

LarryHanna

« Reply #15431 on: July 03, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »
There is another alternative to the Control + method and that is to hold down the control key and use the wheel on the mouse to increase or decrease the size of the font.  I also find on light print, which seems to be the in thing now, that increasing the size of the font also helps it darken and makes it easier to read. 
LarryBIG BOX

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15432 on: July 03, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »
Great tip, Larry. THANK YOU!

It does darken the print considerably when I just tried that. 

jane

MaryPage

« Reply #15433 on: July 03, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »
There is no wheel on the wireless Microsoft mouse I use now.  I remember wheels on my old discarded mice.

My principal problem, and like Steph, I have NO wish to complain or appear ungrateful, but only reaching out for help and advice here, but the chief thing for me seems to be a much, much wider space.  MUCH wider.  I can no longer come in here and read a whole post just sitting there on my screen, but I have to utilize my mouse and move the post back and forth and forth and back in order to read it all.

There now, I find if I make my FAVORITES list disappear from the lefthand side of my screen, I can see the whole box at one time.  I always leave that list up, but can cease and desist at that if needs must.  Yep, basically I am more comfortable reading-wise with a narrower horizontal and a larger and darker print.

marjifay

« Reply #15434 on: July 03, 2015, 12:03:20 PM »
There is no "wheel" on my mouse.  Don't know what you are talking about Larry.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

bellamarie

« Reply #15435 on: July 03, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »
I no longer use a mouse device, but I am okay with manipulating around.  I just really like the new format!  Thank you to all of you who are working on getting out all the kinks.  I know it's a tireless, timeless job trying to perfect computer programs to do exactly what you want them to do, coming from a computer instructor or fifteen years.

Hope ya'll have a Happy 4th of July!

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15436 on: July 03, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »
What a cute card - thanks Bellamarie

Tomereader1

« Reply #15437 on: July 03, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
I have a quest for those of you who are "history" mavens:  What books have you read, either fiction or historical, dealing with the Sepoy Rebellion (Mutiny)?

André Maurois

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15438 on: July 03, 2015, 12:47:36 PM »
I have a wireless mouse, too, and my "wheel, is a black gizmo near the front of the mousy.  Mine is a logtech and it looks like this. I circled the "wheel" in red:

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15439 on: July 03, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »
MaryPage...If I leave that bookmarks list down along the left side of my IPAD, the print is then so small and if I enlarge it, I, too, have to scroll. 

I guess it's the same on the computer, if you have your favorites listed down the sidebar.

jane