Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1982839 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: The Library
« Reply #15520 on: July 14, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

We also have gotten good service from Lowe's, and if you are a veteran they offer a 10% discount on all purchases (Home Depot also offers 10% discount for veterans).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15521 on: July 14, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
Yes, that makes it a problem when the delivery is handled by an outside agent - so you have lowes to write to so they will question their association with that particular delivery service and then the owner of the delivery service has to be contacted as well.

Sounds like my experience having my eye done earlier this Spring - the doctor and then the private place they now do surgery are separate and then each aspect of the service is separate so that the bill is huge as compared to when the same surgeon did my first eye but in the Hospital where the entire cost was on one bill and Medicare paid 80% as opposed to all these separate bills that some Medicare cover and others the do not. 

The ethics and pride of craftsmanship is no longer even in the field of medicine much less a general hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #15522 on: July 14, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »
They did it!  Barnes & Noble managed to get the post office to actually deliver Harper Lee's new old book to me on this day:  Publication Day!  Three cheers for them!  How do they do that?

I will now put aside the book I am currently reading and start in.  Will let you know, you can be sure of that.

MaryPage

« Reply #15523 on: July 14, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
Have read about six chapters, and it is beautiful.  She had a great gift, no doubt about it.  The only reason I can think of as to why her publisher originally wanted her to write the story from her childhood is that the kernel of the story detailed in To Kill A Mockingbird is to be found in Go Set A Watchman.  And basically, Watchman is even much more than Mockingbird a book about who Atticus Finch is.  By the way, you will still love and admire him immensely;  this book will NOT destroy that for you.  Watchman is like a lacework of emotions between daughter and father, including a lot of important fringe people.  If you could MAKE a thing that you could see out of emotions, then Watchman would be an extremely beautiful and fragile paper snowflake you cut out with scissors.

Yes, I can imagine an editor reading it and saying, hey, I keep reading about this thing that happened when you were a child;  so write THAT story!  I think I would have said the same, but would have wanted to publish this later.  Too bad she couldn't handle that sooner, but perhaps serendipitously this is precisely the time when this book should appear!  I swear!

Steph

« Reply #15524 on: July 15, 2015, 08:49:03 AM »
hmm, My exercise band people called yesterday and we got it straight and they are sending me a new band. they do not make my particular band any more( I Only bought it maybe 4 months ago for heavens sake) and will send me an updated one and only ask that I return the one I have to figure out what happened. So that is settled. Lowes...hmm, it is a local man, not a company, he works for himself and uses a lowes truck.. So that is going on my ," way too annoying" book. The Lowes in Clermont is great, so it is just up in the mountains.
Still wobbling on  Harper Lees book. Now they are saying there might be another book.. I am really starting to wonder..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15525 on: July 15, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »
There's a woman on the BBC APP this morning who read the new Harper Lee book in 25 minutes. She's a speed reader and they filmed  her doing it. Of course they didn't show all 25 minutes. She said she'd like  to read it again: she enjoyed it. Some people read it and find their hero to be a racist.   It's certainly controversial.  She found it quite humorous in  many places.

Her method of speed reading is what they taught us in one of those speed reading classes, run  your finger down the center of the page. At the time speed reading classes  were all the rage:  John F. Kennedy was in the White House,  and I remember being told how fast he read, how many words per minute,  and it was astronomical it really was. So even though I am a very very fast reader,  I thought I can be faster.

And so I took the course and learned the method of going down the center of the page. I guess if you have to read a lot of extremely lengthy books maybe you're in law or something like that,  that might be useful,  but you miss a lot and you miss to me the experience of indulging yourself in the book and really enjoying it.

You can't stop and reread the sentence and think about it. The speed reader did say she wants to read it again, and I hope this time she will read it normally.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

MaryPage

« Reply #15526 on: July 15, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Have not read the entire book yet, though expect to devote today to it and finish up.  Have read the last chapters to see where it takes us.  Have to tell you I disagree with a lot of the reviews.  The matter of who Atticus was has been trivialized, I believe, by those who see all of life only in black and white;  and I of course am not referring to race in these words.  In Mockingbird they saw him only as the white knight riding in on his mighty steed and being the hero of the day.  In Watchman they will meet a Southerner born and bred, who, while wanting, willing, and foreseeing change, truly desires to love his neighbor as himself and not go about clobbering everyone and everything in the world in which he has led his entire life.  Am horrified at the thought of speed reading this book, and my imagination does not stretch to someone picking up on all of the important nuances that way.  Shudder!

There are portions of the book which will have you shrieking out loud with laughter.  I love, love, love her sense of humor, as it matches mine precisely.  Would that I owned a Harper Lee ability to relate the funny things! 

Dana

• ::
« Reply #15527 on: July 15, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird (or seen the movie)  so now I obviously have to read both books.  But I can't decide which to read first....

If anyone wants to watch a really clever, funny and over the top Australian series....try "Rake" (netflix)

MaryPage

« Reply #15528 on: July 15, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »
You should read Mockingbird first, because Scout is a child throughout that book.  Then you have the joy of the movie to watch!  You can still purchase both the book and the DVD of the movie, all brand new.  They have never stopped selling them!

In Watchman, Scout is basically 26 years old, albeit the book relives detailed events that took place in her childhood.  But I would definitely read Mockingbird first.  Which obviously I have done.

Steph

« Reply #15529 on: July 16, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
Still on the fence, but will probably read it somewhat later this summer. I came on something interesting on FACEBOOK the other day. Someone commented that they had been in a small coffee shop recently and were standing in line behind a couple. When the couple ordered, they said 5, 2 now,3 pending.. and received two coffees and paid for five. They asked the clerk and he said.. watch and wait.. Sure enough after a bit in came a homeless type,,asked about pending and received a free coffee. That struck me as so neat. Now to figure out how to do it

MaryPage

« Reply #15530 on: July 16, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
Pretty cool!

Well, I have finished Watchman and enjoyed it very much and am glad I read it.  I doubt it will go down in history as a classic, because there is no story the world can actually get its hands on.  Other than some really hilarious sketches, the book could, IMHO, be listed as an historical philosophy.  Lee attempts to explain her town, her county, her state, and her beloved Southland.  I understand that, and I think she does a very good job.  Because I have much the same feelings for my home town in my home state of Virginia, I have no trouble following her reasoning while she makes a stab at defining the big picture, but somehow I think readers are already misinterpreting big time, so I don't think her effort here, which was made some 58 years ago apparently, will raise the world's consciousness regarding The South.

MaryPage

« Reply #15531 on: July 16, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »

CallieOK

« Reply #15532 on: July 16, 2015, 03:04:14 PM »
I am amazed!    I just placed a library reserve for the e-book of "Go Set A Watchman" and there are only 4 ahead of me!  Maybe no one knows it's available in e-book and audio-book.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15533 on: July 16, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
Has anyone heard from MaryZ - has she been affected by the shooting - did it take place anywhere near where she lives or shops...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15534 on: July 16, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
Thanks, Barb - I should have posted here.  This is what I've written elsewhere.

The shootings were at two locations - a recruiting office and a Naval Reserve Center. One of these locations is about five miles from us - just across the river. It's where John goes to walk on the River Walk. There were four Marines killed, plus the shooter.  There were no fatalities at the first site.  The second one is on a major street, and almost directly across that street from the main police station. This is why the police response was so fast. One police officer and (so far) two others wounded.  The area where the shooter lives is also in our general area, but we don't know where exactly.

This is certainly not anything we'd expect anywhere, much less literally in our neighborhood.  Of course, there's been nothing else on our local stations all day. I found out about it when a friend from Nashville called to ask what was going on here.

Thanks for your thinking about us.

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15535 on: July 16, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »
ah so the shooter is dead and our news said nothing about the injured police - thanks for filling us in and I am glad you are not living on top of this and you and your husband are just fine.

Steph

« Reply #15536 on: July 17, 2015, 08:31:04 AM »
Not much being released as of yet on the shooting victims or who actually killed the shooter. I am sorry, but I guess I am beginning to not want to be around to a certain age and bearded male.. who has an arab name.. Ugh.. That is not fair or nice, but life is getting scary and ISIS seems to be drawing in the people who don't fit quite right and making them into weapons.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15537 on: July 17, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
Steph this appears to be media driven - there were no words from the shooter - no one knows the intent and even here in this Republican State folks are on facebook having a kanipshan with the media labeling this an act of terror then the whole break out of how the media have been using scare tactics ever since 9/11 - even our local congressmen is outraged.

Steph

« Reply #15538 on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:56 AM »
Still no word, but the photos are revealing. A nice clean shaven male , went Kuwait for almost a year, came back bearded, going to religious service, when he did not before and then doing this. No, the US has to somehow weed out this type of immigrant.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15539 on: July 18, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
The fifth serviceman shot on Thursday, Naval officer Randall Smith, has died.  Chattanooga mourns.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #15540 on: July 18, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
I believe he was BORN in Kuwait, but raised and schooled in this country, and everyone thought he was just great.  Then he went and spent almost a year in JORDAN, not Kuwait, and apparently came back radicalized.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15541 on: July 18, 2015, 10:05:03 AM »
what ever they are doing to radicalize someone in a years time is what we need to learn and adapt the techniques if possible to have a radicalized society doing good - what ever their technique it seems to me they must be adaptable to any viewpoint not just to jihad although I am beginning to think the media has been using similar techniques to keep the fear factor high in this nation so we forget our innate courage and 'can do' instincts. 

Just thought I bet the radicalization is based on accepting your own death - to be so committed to a belief and cause that like martyrs in history you will die but then this is an aggressive act that will more than likely end in death - that is the key - martyrs took death over not acting within their belief but did not go around aggressively attacking others.

MaryPage

« Reply #15542 on: July 18, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
My mind tends to wander towards a belief that martyrs, no matter their religion, have held a firm belief in a heavenly paradise awaiting them immediately upon their heroic deaths for the cause.  In this case, the cause calls for death to all infidels.

The raving, raging Islamists, whose goal is to go back to 7th century civilization, and also to have Islam dominate the world there, have deviated from the real Islam enormously.  They are promising these young men they will be famous word-of-mouth martyrs here in our world and martyred saints in paradise immediately upon their deaths.  They, the young terrorist martyrs,  will instantly enter a forever afterwards of a garden full of nubile young women there only to serve their every desire.  Forever.  And ever.

If they did not believe these fairy tales, they would not enter into the fray and be such a threat to civilization as WE would wish it to be.  I am deeply disturbed over the fact that their brain washing will adversely affect the lives, well it already has, actually, of the at least 75%, if not 90% or more, of Muslims who do not buy into this crazy fundamentalist crap.  It is very like those folks in our society who blame ALL Christians for those who believe God orders them to murder any doctors who perform any type of abortion.  In short, I fear for deep and serious disturbances in the lives of the vast majority of good living, peace loving Muslims everywhere.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15543 on: July 18, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
Yes, and then you have to wonder why are we seeing non-stop the aggrandizing of this aggressive martyr with his photo front and center when any story of the killings is included in the media. Is that to let ISIL know their student was successful??!!??

Tomereader1

« Reply #15544 on: July 18, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
good point, Barb
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #15545 on: July 19, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
Steph, if you don't subscribe to Vanity Fair, you will want to grab yourself a copy of the August issue.  There is an article about the royal corgis you will love.

Steph

« Reply #15546 on: July 19, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »
Will look for it. With my back and forth life, I rarely subscribe to magazine. I get the NYtimes and the Washington Post on my IPAD..

Frybabe

« Reply #15547 on: July 23, 2015, 07:01:11 AM »
My sister and I spend a few hours, yesterday, at the Brandywine River Museum near Philly. What a wonderful surprise we had. First, because two exhibit galleries were closed to change out showings, we got in half-price. Second, and much more importantly, one of the galleries was showing art which was painted for book covers, plates, and magazine stories/covers. Much to my surprise and delight, I recognized two of the paintings for Treasure Island painted by N.C. Wyeth. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/4731194616_d255bf982b_o.jpg Most people, especially children never look to see who the artists are that supply cover and inside art for books, and only know a few (like Norman Rockwell) who did/do cover art for magazines.

The other absolute delight was seeing a Fredric Remington up close and personal. It was a painting of the Canadian Mounted Police wearing the old pillbox style hats. It is the only black and white painting I ever saw of his. There were also at least two James Peale portraits, at least two George Cope works , and a collection of Howard Pyle works. Howard Pyle authored and illustrated many children's books; N.C. Wyeth was a student of his.

I came home with a small, matted print from a cover N.C.Wyeth painted for Outing Magazine. http://brandywine.doetech.net/voyager/images/hunter.gif The gift shop shop includes, among other things, several facsimiles of some the books he illustrated, including Treasure Island, The Boys King Arthur, and Robin Hood. I did a little checking and see that if you still have first editions of his illustrated children's books, they can be quite valuable. His most famous ones were for Scribner Classics volumes; Treasure Island being the first of twenty-five he did for them.

http://www.brandywinemuseum.org/

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15548 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
OH what a lovely fun day of surprises, Frybabe! And discoveries!!

I LOVE Howard Pyle! Absolutely love him and the next time I am in the area, I will definitely go see it.

When I think of Knights in Armor, I think of Howard Pyle.

I guess those were the illustrations of books of my childhood but I have always loved him and  William Waterhouse.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Frybabe

« Reply #15549 on: July 23, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
Ginny, if you love Pyle's art, you might also want to check out the Delaware Art Museum. http://www.delart.org/collections/howard-pyle/about-howard-pyle/

Nice little YouTube feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al_A5b-YkR8
This one says it is "the official trailor" for a DVD which I have yet to locate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE6-zk9_Yps
There are more links on YouTube.

Addendum: Brandywine had the DVD for sale but is out of stock according to the site. It is a PBS production so perhaps it is still available through them.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15550 on: July 23, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »
Oh wow, thank you for that.  I will put all that in a folder where I can get it the next time I go to Philly. I see he was actually from Wilmington, I thought he was from Philadelphia.

Loved this quote in your link:

In a letter to his brother, Vincent Van Gogh wrote, “Do you know an American magazine Harpers Monthly? There are wonderful sketches in it … which strike me dumb with admiration … by Howard Pyle.”

I'm late for an appointment but I had come BACK in to say that I'm still enjoying my leisurely trek thru Wolf Hall. Having read Bring Up the Bodies first, which I could not put down, this one, I can. And so it's taking me a lot longer but I have come to relish her writing and prose, and I'm enjoying having a big book to pick up and sink into.

I don't see any of it as true history but it's almost fairy tale like, and   now I want to read her Plantagenet book spoken of here (sorry I can't recall the person who recommended it?) because I know nothing of the Plantagenets.   And I probably won't when I finish,  but she is a good read. One certainly does get the sense of court intrigue, that's very well done. I may read Bring Up the Bodies again, actually.

Frybabe

« Reply #15551 on: July 23, 2015, 08:04:29 AM »
Opps, added an addendum to my previous post while you were posting, Ginny. There is a DVD out there somewhere called Howard Pyle and the Illustrated Story that was a PBS production. I am unable to locate a copy as yet. The Brandywine Museum Shop online lists it as out of stock; the Deleware Museum of Art online shop does not list it; nor does PBS shop. Must be an old production.

Steph

« Reply #15552 on: July 23, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »
I come from Delaware and know the artists work. I know most peope associate these artists with Pennsylvania, but they were from Delaware . There are some beautiful things associated with Pyle.. Have not been back there for so many years, but remember some of the illustrations so viviidly

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15553 on: July 23, 2015, 09:23:26 AM »
We love the work of ALL the Wyeths (N.C., Andrew, and Jamie), and have been to the museum several times.  I'm sorry you missed seeing the whole museum, though, and hope you get back.  They have a fabulous collection.

MaryPage

« Reply #15554 on: July 23, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
Ginny, you claim to know nothing of the Plantagenets, and I find that most unusual for you, since they were the longest reigning dynasty the Brits ever had, but if you truly do not, then you simply must drop all else and get into Eleanor of Aquitaine.  Really, I mean it!  YOU, of all people.  She was one of the most amazing women who has EVER lived, I swear!

Kathryn Hepburn played her in The Lion In Winter.  I was first introduced to her by the redoubtable Miss Lewis, who taught English History when I was in eighth grade.  My favorite book about them was written by Thomas Costain, a great Canadian writer in my youth.

http://www.amazon.com/A-History-Plantagenets-4-Volumes/dp/B000J2Z9NM

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15555 on: July 23, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
YOU, of all people

Huh? Why ME of all people? Why would I know anything about them?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15556 on: July 23, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Wow - look at this...

MaryPage

« Reply #15557 on: July 23, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »
I have assumed (and yes, I know, one should never assume anything) you have a deep interest in Great Britain because you have visited there so often and seen all the museums and art galleries, etc.  I think of the long reign of the Plantagenets as being the foundation stone of present day Britain.  I do not ascribe a deep interest in most people, but in you I just always have.  My own passion for the history there is so very intense, yet I have only spent one month of my entire life there.  Please forgive me, just a mistaken surmise on my part.  Nothing but good felt or meant, on my part.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15558 on: July 23, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »
Tadadadah! For August...!

We’re starting early to share “The Good Life” we have enjoyed reading certain books and remembering some of our past Discussions. This upcoming March 2016 we will be celebrating our 20th anniversary reading as a group.

Join us – starting August 10 for two weeks we will share our recollections in our discussion, "Our Wild Days; Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn".

Every other day we will have two questions to focus our posts – You can respond to either or both so that over the 14 days we will engage in a conversation of memories, with questions that prompt our opinions about reading as a group, and our thoughts about certain books.

No book needs to be borrowed or purchased however; we are using as a guide a recommended book from our Library discussion - Elderwriters: Celebrate Your Life! Our celebration will be sharing our memories of together, reading books.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15559 on: July 23, 2015, 09:56:56 PM »
The Guardian has partnered with Waterstones to promote Go Set a Watchman reading groups across 230 Waterstones shops next week.