Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 745966 times)

bellemere

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #4520 on: March 02, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Back from two weeks in Mexico, and  Steph , we must see different Mexicos.  Mine is the Yucatan, peaceful, warm , and friendly people. I know that is not the cast throughout this unfortunate country.
Read "Far From the Tree" by Solomon, a nonfiction work advocating for children that have some disability.  Very scholarly and quite disturbing in some ways; i.ie, the number of autistic children murdered by their parents. Chilling. Also read a binchey, love her books, everthing settles down so nicely.  Have also been looking at younger authors, under 40.  enjoy Karen Russell, any of you in Florida would like Swamplandia.  And Daniel alarcon, a little more difficult, , in Lost Radio City.  Joshua Ferris, in then We Came to the End, and the sort stories of Tessa Hadley.
what in the world is this new march book, The End of the World Book Club?  Conjures up a picture of a bunch of morbid old people discussing their own wnds. Will try to read an excerpt before joining in.
A good book on that subject was Julian Barnes, Nothing to be Afraid Of "

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4521 on: March 02, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
It's not like that at all, bellemere.  As the author takes his mother to chemotherapy appointments, they use their time waiting around to form a two person book club, in part discussing the books they are reading or have read, in part using them as a tool to discuss their lives and feelings and family history.  Since the family is bookish and well-read, and composed of interesting and accomplished people, this makes for a good read, and gives us a chance to talk both about the family and the many books mentioned.

In spite of the subject matter, I don't find the book gloomy or painful.  Do join us, bellemere, we'd love to have you.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4522 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »
Just read Sophie Divry's "The Library of Unrequited Love" - it's a translation from the French, more of a short novella really, about a librarian in a provincial library.  She's been there for a long time, and is full of resentments, obsessions, sadness - but her observations on life, and especially on the meaning of culture, are wonderful.  Excellent translation by Sian Reynolds.

Anyone else read it?

http://www.quercusbooks.co.uk/book/The-Library-of-Unrequited-Love-by-Sophie-Divry-ISBN_9781780870526#.UTMgEFpNz_E

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #4523 on: March 03, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
I never got to the Yucatan, but the tourist parts I got to, I disliked.. The casual cruelty in the cities amazed me.. The machine guns on the police men..just not a nice place for me. Different strokes.. as they say. I live in a peaceful comfortable place, so I would guess that when I travel, I prefer cities,, museums, etc. Never been a lounger around.. and don't sit by swimming pools, etc.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #4524 on: March 03, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
A friend just loaned me a Jennifer Chiaverini book, not a "quilt" book, titled Mary Lincoln's Dressmaker." Elizabeth Keckley was a real person, but, of course, this is fiction. EK bought her and her son's freedom from slavery and had become a dressmaker to many prominent women in Washington D. C. in 1860. Both of those actions tell us what an amazing woman she was. She was the designer and maker of dresses for Varina Davis, Jefferson Davis' wife before Mary Lincoln came to town. (I find it ironic that that the president of the seceding states was probably named for Thomas Jefferson.)

About 100 pages into the book, i find it is typical JC well-written prose. She uses many of the current events of the time in the story. EK's son was the son of a white man and is light enough in complexion to be able to pass as white and is therefore able to join the Union army. JC gives us a good accounting of the anxiety of any mother whose child is in combat.

At this point i would highly recommend it. Here is a Wikipedia article about EK and the Amazon page about the book.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Keckley

In following a link from the wiki article i see that EK's autobiography "Behind the Scenes", is available as an ebook for free from Goggle Books and from Amazon. Just scroll down the article to "references". Also, the second book on the "reference" list is available as an ebook for free, "Mrs Lincoln and Mrs Keckly".

http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Lincolns-Dressmaker-Jennifer-Chiaverini/dp/0525953612

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4525 on: March 03, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
Ordered "behind the Scenes" on kindle.

Frybabe

« Reply #4526 on: March 03, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
The Library of Unrequited Love does not seem to have been published in the US. Well----maybe. I found an Amazon page that has a look inside for the Kindle edition, BUT there is no way to order it and no information about if or when it will/was available. I started reading the look inside pages, though. I am not sure I can handle what appears to be a 96 page soliloquy.

In the exerpt she mentions Jean-Paul Satre's book Existentialism is Humanism. Never could get the hang of Existentialism. One of my professors in college was something of an Existentialist, so our reading included a book about it. I have Sartre's Being and Nothingness. I've had it for a long time. Never read it.

Steph

« Reply #4527 on: March 04, 2013, 06:17:35 AM »
Mary Lincolns Dressmarker sounds interesting. Will try to look it up.. I have never quite understood Existentialism.. Not sure I care any more..I had a cousin who was truly into that sort of philosophy..
Central Florida still cold.. windy.. I dislike the cold wind and the dogs are genuinely upset.. They are so close to the ground, I expect it is truly uncomfortable for them.

bellemere

« Reply #4528 on: March 04, 2013, 03:56:50 PM »
Lookin back over the"manes " discussion, I thought of how many little Mayan Indiean irls I met in Mexico with names like Karen, Marilyn, Barbara, and Brittainy!  And in a land of millions of Marias, the name Mary is becoming popular. 
You can almost guess a woman's age by the name she was given at birth.  Just before my 56 year old dauhter was born, there was a flock of Robins.  And in her year, , loads of Lindas.  The Jennifers came soon after and then a lot of K's: Kimberleys, Kellys, Karens.  The old Mararets became "Megan" and there was a rash of Gaelic Caitlins, (the Irish pronunciation of Cathleen) along with her brothrs Sean and Brendan.Then a hue wave of Lisas, and   Now come the law firms: Taylor, Madison, Courtney and Brooke.  Those are the girls.  The latest craze seems to be Sophia.  Means wisdom.  Maybe a good quality to hope for in a female.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4529 on: March 04, 2013, 04:40:39 PM »
Joan was very popular in my age group. I found out recently that Joan of Arc was canonized a few years before I was born, so she was in peoples mind.

FRY: I just don't GET existentialism, and I've tried.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4530 on: March 04, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »
Found the Book."Casual Vacancies" by J.K Rowling. Here first book for grownups I believe.  Library just got it in.
If you use a library often check and see if they are now using this new Program Software.  Called "Zinio"  You can get in by registering with you Library card. and it has most of all the Magazines still being printed or just now on E-Record.
You can then read them on your regular computer like they do on the IPAD. Readers etc.
Pretty good one.

Frybabe

« Reply #4531 on: March 04, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »
It is nice to see that ZInio is making magazines available online through the library
. I will be curious to see which publishers have signed on.

Steph

« Reply #4532 on: March 05, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »
I grew up in the country in a very small town. As a Stephanie, I was the one and only for miles and miles. First other Stephanie I met as a freshman in college.There were two of us in the entire university and we lived in the same hall on the same floor.. Only she was Stefany.. and called Steffy.. A good friend of my family loved my name and named their daughter that..Now there are all sorts of Stephanies.. A young friend has a Sophia, but she is 17 , so she was ahead of the curve.. How about all the Ethans, Jasons, etc.  Name are funny.. I have a Kaitlyn and Connor as grandchildren. Both pretty names and a brand new Great Niece, who is Anna Catherine..which I like.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4533 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:06 AM »

(I find it ironic that that the president of the seceding states was probably named for Thomas Jefferson.)

Jean, that's an interesting point. I'd never caught that.

Steph, your grandniece and I share the same name, mine after my grandmother. Her last name was Jacobson, but she was listed in the family bible as Anna Catherine Stephansdaughter. Her youngest sibling was named Elvina, as she was the 11th child.

That grandmother picked names typical of the generation for her daughters, my mother Ruby and aunts Violet, Eleda, and Iva. You don't hear of many Rubys nowadays, but my youngest granddaughter is Ruby. I'm assuming she's the only one in her kindergarten class.

Bellemere, I was unaware that Megan came from the name Margaret.  My BIL and SIL said that the priest questioned their choice of names when they christened their youngest child. "What kind of a name is that?"  "On, she was a saint, Father, an Irish saint."  They really didn't know whether Megan was a saint or not.

I've not read any Jennifer Chiaverini books, but have heard of Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, and would like to read it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #4534 on: March 05, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
One faction of our younger generation has gone to what i call"old-fashioned" names: Charlotte, Felix, Hazel, Nora. Another faction is doing Chloe - a rather popular name now, Kayla, Lauren, Kaitlyn, Cameron, lots of Irish names, Remi, Elke, Zoe. And Bruce Willis' new dgt is Mabel! I was named for an aunt who died just prior to my birth, but was never called Mabel by anyone. One of my son's friends have dgts London and Sydney!  ???

MaryPage

« Reply #4535 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
Megan is Welsh, and I certainly have seen it used in a lot of books taking place in Ireland.  And it does come from Margaret, so there's your Saint!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4536 on: March 05, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
Goodness. I am reading the J.K rowling book. "Casual Vacancy" Such language never read a book with so much bad stuff and talks of sex. The F word on every page.Never figured she would do that. Story not bad . Don't know if would make it without all the bad words and talk in it. Suppose that is the way lots of people do talk. Specially the young now. Will see how far I get.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #4537 on: March 05, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »
JeanneP I didn't care for it - not bad but not good - to me it had just too many plots and subplots - but then if you are writing about a community I guess every household has a story.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #4538 on: March 05, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
Thanks for warning me, Jeanne.  Have had it on my Wish List to purchase when it comes out in paperback.  Have just deleted it from that list.  Cannot stand potty mouths.  I DO understand it is a generational thing and that my granddaughters think nothing of it.  But I not only cannot bear to read or hear it, I cannot  bear being constantly reminded that polite society is gone and almost forgotten.

Steph

« Reply #4539 on: March 06, 2013, 06:10:48 AM »
My granddaughter had Rowlings book on her Christmas book list. So it was one of the ones I got.. Should ask her if she liked it.. I decided it did not sound good to me.. I will stick to Harry..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4540 on: March 07, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »
I hope you have had a chance to VOTE FOR the APRIL Book Club selection...  the poll just opened yesterday - and already, there's a three way tie!  It's really important to read the descriptions in the title links before stepping into the voting booth!

Steph

« Reply #4541 on: March 08, 2013, 06:06:14 AM »
Have been slogging through Olive Kitteridge and finally just gave it up.. It won all sorts of prizes, but I just could not get into it. For one thing I dislike short stories mostly.

nlhome

« Reply #4542 on: March 08, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »
I read Olive Kitteridge, Steph, but I had a hard time liking some of the characters.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4543 on: March 08, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »
One of the very few books I could not finish and did not enjoy.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #4544 on: March 09, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »
Yes, with the exception of Olives husband, who I liked, the rest were blah..and Olive was sort of a pain. Oh well. nothing ventured..

salan

« Reply #4545 on: March 09, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
I agree about Olive Kitteridge.  I did not like it at all.  Like you, Steph, I usually do not care for short stories; but read this because of all the good things I read about it.  I did finish; but am sorry I wasted my time on it.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4546 on: March 09, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
I haven't read Olive Kitteridge but see that it's a collection of short stories that are "connected" to each other. Those of you who usually don't like short stories, is it the connected stories (the ones that have the same characters or other connections) that you don't like or is it something else about a short story that doesn't appeal to you? I like the genre of both short stories and novels (depending on the topic and writing, of course) and am interested to hear several of you saying that you don't care for short stories. I'm curious to learn what it is about the short story that isn't appealing.

MaryPage

« Reply #4547 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
I like short stories, and some of the most memorable writing I have ever read has been in this format.  The Lottery.  Who could EVER forget that?  A Dissertation Upon Roast Pig.  The Gift Of The Magi.  Oh, so many more.

But I, too, do not like to sit down and read a collection of short stories;  be they by one author or many.  Why?

Well, for one thing, I like to really get into a book these days.  Have it last me a while and pull me into its world.  Short stories tend to be too abrupt.  You start off, and WHOOPS, the story is done and you are left dismayed most of the time.  Some happy or hilarious endings, but too, too few of these.  Most of the time you are appalled and upset.

Feelings I avoid these days, as I can feel them nibble, nibble, nibble away at my physical well being and shove me ever closer to my demise.

I think this describes why I, why we, do not relish short stories these days.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4548 on: March 09, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »

You start off, and WHOOPS, the story is done and you are left dismayed most of the time.  Some happy or hilarious endings, but too, too few of these.  Most of the time you are appalled and upset.

You nailed it, marypage.  Especially "dismayed".

I think this describes why I, do not relish short stories these days.[/b][/color]
[/quote]
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4549 on: March 09, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
I do like short stories done well by an author who brings us bits and pieces of lives especially if there is a message of sorts but even if just a glimpse into a life but with characters that I can enjoy and even if  unusual circumstances at least a story line that if not happy brings me hope - or if horror there is an explanation if not a comeuppance but this group of stories were about dull experiences by dull people that at times gave me the willies - nothing I can put my finger on just now since I attempted this book I guess a year ago - just after it was all the rage - as I say it was one of only a very few books I never completed I'd as soon read Proust as to read this.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4550 on: March 09, 2013, 04:37:36 PM »
If only Proust had written short stories!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4551 on: March 09, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
If only Proust had written short stories!
HAH!
One of his sentences is as long as a short story.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4552 on: March 09, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
Thanks very much to those of you who've indicated why you do or don't read short stories. Some do have "surprise" endings. I vividly remember THE LOTTERY by Shirley Jackson and AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE by Ambrose Bierce.

MaryPage

« Reply #4553 on: March 09, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »
Now, I never read that second one.  At least, I am not remembering it.

marcie

• Administrator

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4555 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
JoanK and Pat, LOL re Proust and short stories :-)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4556 on: March 09, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is pretty memorable.  I recommend it.

Thanks for the links, Marcie, maybe I'll go there and reread the two stories.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4557 on: March 09, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
There is an annotated critical edition of "An Occurrence..." at http://www.ambrosebierce.org/evans.html

It's interesting that both stories have been adapted for tv/film.

nlhome

« Reply #4558 on: March 09, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
When I'm busy and don't have much time for reading, a short story can keep my interest and come to an end in a reasonable time. I especially enjoy mystery stories, because I think the author really has to work hard to develop the plot in such a short work.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4559 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
One of my complaints about many short stories is that since they have to set up and describe a situation, show a problem, and then resolve it, all in not very many pages, they tend to sound rather alike, formulaic.  It's certainly not true of all, including the ones just mentioned.

Once I got unexpectedly stuck in a medical waiting room for three hours, my reading material being a book of short stories by David Guterson (author of Snow Falling on Cedars).  The first one or two were really great, but as time dragged on they were more and more alike, and saying pretty much the same thing, and by the time I got out of there, 2/3 through the book, I never wanted to read another of his, and haven't.