Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 746682 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Spamming...
As promised, the poll  to determine our Spring Book Club Online in-depth discussions is now open -
We will stay open until Feb. 26.
 You may vote once.
 Notice  the titles in the Suggestion Box heading are linked to reviews.
Note the two different categories:
 1. Your first choice
 2. All the titles that interest you for future discussion

VOTE HERE - (click this link)

Steph

« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »
Have been reading Linda Fairsteins  "Lethal Legacy". It has to do with libraries and specifically, the big research ones.. She loves to research and the book tells you a lot about how they work. Fun. Lots of details on the New York Public Library.. I know she is generally accurate, so it is interesting.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Aberlaine

« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:44 AM »
My f2f discussion group just finished Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson.  He's a Norwegian author and this is his first book to be translated into English.  It's an excellent story about a man's life in Norway.  Almost biographical except that the author jumps back and forth in his life.  I found it a bit confusing, but loved the story and the characters anyway.

For February, we're reading The Beet Queen by Louise Erdrich.  I've never read any books by her but have heard her stories are mainly about Native Americans.  I'll let you know what I think once I get it from the library.  It's an older book and they had to request it from one of their outlying branches.

Nancy

Babi

« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2010, 09:17:59 AM »
I would be interested in learning more about research. I love looking
things up and finding out new things. I'm going to check and see if my
library has 'Lethal Legacy'.

I've been wanting to read "Out Stealing Horses", but the only Per
Petterson book my library has is "To Siberia". It doesn't sound like
pleasant reading. Do you know anything about that one, Nancy?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »
I read Beet Queen but forgot to read others by Erdrich.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »
Read Erdrich years ago but did not really like her books.  I thought I should like her works and I really tried to like her but just did not care for  the books she wrote.  I don't think I would feel any other way now either.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
Steph, I really enjoy Linda Fairstein's books, partly because of the interesting things one learns about New York.  And of course, the Jeopary questions    :D  .  Have you read her first one in the series -- Final Jeopary?

Steph

« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2010, 06:11:07 AM »
I always read Fairstein when she comes out in paper. She loves research and does some really wonderful history in each book.
Dont like Louise Erdrich.. Am with Joan Grimes.. Thought I should like her. Both she and her husband write.. But I simply did not like a single character in any of her books.

salan

« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »
I don't like Louise Erdich, either.  I really wanted to like her and tried a couple of books, but they just did not resonate with me.  I usually like books about native Americans, but.....

What were the best books you read this past year (or two)?  Most of us read alot, so if a book stands out after several months, it qualifies.  The Book Thief was definitely one that stood out for me; so I am looking forward to our discussion next month.  It is not usually the kind of book I pick up to read.  I kept hearing about it and reading about it, so decided to give it a try. 

Which one of you coined the phrase "intellectual interlude"?  I love it and use it all the time instead of "senior Moment".  It just sounds so much more classy! 
Sally

Babi

« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2010, 08:38:13 AM »
 I understand, JOANG. There are a couple of good authors that I feel I
really should read, but I simply find their books dull. They are not how
I want to spend my reading time.

I don't remember who first introced intellectual interlude, SALLY, but
I latched onto it, too. Sounds so much better.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »
Well, I had The CHildren's Book by A.S. Byatt, home from the library for about two weeks.  Started it, excellent writing, but so many characters and so much detail that I was overwhelmed and kept thinking, "Get on with it, get on with it.  What is this book going to be about."  And that was almost up to page 100, and according to Nancy Pearl, I only have to read 26. Then came the book within a book and I thought "Nuts, I'm not going to spend all this time on that."  Then I started thumbing through it, and spent most of Sunday afternoon just thumbing here, thumbing, there, making a few connections, read the ending.  A pretty good book with lots of interesting people. So, now I know most of what's happened and I probably missed out on a really good book.  But I know I'll never go back to it.

Do you ever do anything like that?

Steph

« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2010, 05:58:01 AM »
Oh me, yes. There are certain authors who simply will not get on with the plot. They dither and dodge and  generally drive me nuts..So I skip and jump.. Not fair and I am sure I miss stuff, but I simply dislike diversions in a good book.

Babi

« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
 It is no doubt unkind of me, but such authors remind me of people who
consider their every thought and idea remarkable, and want to give you
the benefit of it.  ;)

ALF43

« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:37 AM »
ahahahah thank you for that Babi, that statement make my day.  I could not have said it any better. ;D

It is no doubt unkind of me, but such authors remind me of people who
consider their every thought and idea remarkable, and want to give you
the benefit of it.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Aberlaine

« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »
I've been wanting to read "Out Stealing Horses", but the only Per
Petterson book my library has is "To Siberia". It doesn't sound like
pleasant reading. Do you know anything about that one, Nancy?

No, I don't.  Out Stealing Horses was brand new to me.  One of the ladies in my book group selected it.

Sorry.  ~~Nancy

Aberlaine

« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:20 PM »
Read Erdrich years ago but did not really like her books.  I thought I should like her works and I really tried to like her but just did not care for  the books she wrote.  I don't think I would feel any other way now either.

Joan Grimes

Joan,
The book just arrived at my local library (it needed to be sent from another branch), so I'll start reading it tonight.  I'll let you know what I think.  I've been wanting to read a book by Louise Erdrich for a long time.  I hope I'm not disappointed.

Nancy

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
Ever since Steph mentioned Fairstein's Lethal Legacy I've been dying to get hold of it, and my library doesn't have it.  Today, I found a new source, maybe.  I was talking about it at bridge club, and one of the gals said, "I'll check our library.  We've got a great one."  She lives in a retirement condo and everyone donates their books to the house library.  Whoop de do, we've got two retirement condos in town.  They both have libraries.

Those of you who  live in retirement condos  -- JUdyL and others?  -- how do you handle check-outs in your library?  Do people have to sign for books when they check them out, or is it like where my aunt lived, you just pick what you want and bring it back when you finish?

Steph

« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2010, 06:08:53 AM »
Pedlin.. Another good source for books is large rv parks. They always have a lending library and their big deal is generally bring one, take one..

mabel1015j

« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
Steph had mentioned Lethal Legacy on another site and i remembered that i had read it and enjoyed it............as i remember it was a little slow getting into, but finished well. That was my first FAirstein book, but i will read more of them...............jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #299 on: February 18, 2010, 01:32:05 PM »
I picked up Earthly Joys by Phillipa Gregory yesterday at the library. I looked at Virgin.....something....about the Virginia colony, but it looked like it was a follow up to EJ w/ the same characters. Does anyone know if that is a series? I've read her Boelyne books and liked those, but i tho't her other "queen" books stood alone and assumed her other books did also........................jean

Steph

« Reply #300 on: February 19, 2010, 06:06:31 AM »
Gregory is a prolific writer, so there may be several series. She also likes to write about the same period in English history, so you may run into the characters several different ways.

mabel1015j

« Reply #301 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
thanks for that feedback Steph - and also on the mystery page...........jean

Steph

« Reply #302 on: February 20, 2010, 05:58:30 AM »
Been reading Bookmarks, but dont enjoy it the way I used to.. Too many books, I would not want to read, besides,, they seem to have been stuck on short stories this month. Not a favorite of mine at all.

Babi

« Reply #303 on: February 20, 2010, 09:15:28 AM »
 Someone mentioned,..somewhere..a book by Sheila Kohler called "Becoming Jane Eyre".  It sounded interesting so I gave it a try.
Kohler is undoubtedly a skilled writer, but the book left me cold. It
consists almost entirely of reverie or memories as narrated by an
observer.  Even the rare occasions when there is current interaction, it
is detached and mundane.  I soon reached the point where I really didn't
care, and returned the book to the library.

mrssherlock

« Reply #304 on: February 20, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »
Just back from a few days at the coast with my sister.  We trade books and authors back and forth.  She had one I loved, The Red Hat Club, by Haywood Smith.  Five women who have been friends since high school sorority days meet monthly for 36 years; then it seems that the men in their lives become strangers one by one.  They share their lives and loves, cry together and provide hugs.  They have Traditions governing their taboos.  When I finished I wanted to go to Atlanta and drop in on the next lunch! 
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/haywood-smith/red-hat-club.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mabel1015j

« Reply #305 on: February 20, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
Jackie - i'm reading another Haywood Smith - it's upstairs, but i think the title is The Red Hat Club Rides Again................enjoying it also..........I also read Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch by Smith.......it was good............jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
Jean:  Glad to hear about other Haywood Smith books.  I really like her chick lit for the rest of us.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
I read at least two of the Haywood Smith books. One of the Red Hat and another one that the title escapes me, but I liked very much.. She is very southern of course and that attracts me.

salan

« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2010, 07:11:23 AM »
I, also, enjoy the Haywood Smith books--light, funny and southern!
Sally

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »
Pedln I don't go to the library. We have our own library here and I have my kindle and 3 shelves of books still to read in my apartment.
Once or twice a month the library system comes here and puts up a colection of books and tapes for the guests. I have not looked at it but I am sure its good.

I just go to the doctor. I have had a blood test, heart scan 2 chest Xrays at the hospt.
An angogram a lung scan and 2 more chest x rays in the last 2 weeks. That doesn't leave much time to play. hehe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »
There are tiimes when our social life consists of talking to doctors!

mabel1015j

« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2010, 04:10:24 PM »
Ain't it the truth!................jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #312 on: February 21, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
Well, Judy, I hope they're saying that everything is good!!

Steph

« Reply #313 on: February 22, 2010, 06:02:51 AM »
I hope that the doctors are telling Judy that all is well. I know her husband has had his problems.
I am very envious of the place she is in.. Books everywhere, it looks like.

Babi

« Reply #314 on: February 22, 2010, 08:44:28 AM »
 Three shelves of books waiting to be read, JUDY?!!  Goodness, are they
that unappealing?  :o  I wouldn't get another library book for ages. 
Unless, of course, we were going to discuss it on Seniorlearn.  ;D

mabel1015j

« Reply #315 on: February 22, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
Babi - i say every time i return books to the library that i am not going to get any new ones - i've got plenty of books on my shelves at home that i need to read. BUT, inevitably, there is ONE book that i want to get, probably for an SL book discussion :P. So as i look for that one, i see ........aahhh, that one looks interesting..............and almost always end up w/ at least 3 books, often more. Most of the books i have at home are non-fiction, so i usually bring home fiction books, especially mysteries............I just have no will-power when it comes to books........jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #316 on: February 22, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Jean: "I just have no will-power when it comes to books." the story of my life!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
I am the same...no will power  at all when it comes to books.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Gumtree

« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
When it comes to books if we all had just a modicum of will power we probably wouldn't be here enjoying ourselves so much. And think of all the lovely empty shelf space we'd have. But how diminished our lives would be without our books, our crowded shelves and the camaraderie of these friendly, thought provoking discussions.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #319 on: February 23, 2010, 06:07:37 AM »
Oh me.. Will power. I dont think I want it with books. Was picking up a prescription yesterday, stopped at the book rack and wham.. Three new paperbacks with authors I adore. Sigh.. Oh well.. I knew I would get them.