Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 83272 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.    

NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Yes, I enjoyed and wished they had not rushed the ending so we could have one more episode - would have liked to see what happened to the young lawyers and if Clive continued to mess around or now that we know he has a soft and responsible side if that side of him comes into play. And then what are all the discrepancies in the accounts - they cannot all be payoffs or are they and if so to whom.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
FlaJean, I watched the last episode of SILK and enjoyed it too. It does seem to have tied everything up. Did I miss which of the two "pupils" they are going to keep?

I too am looking forward to Foyle's War next Sunday.

salan

« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »
I haven't watched the last episode of Silk.  Will watch sometime this week.
Sally

MaryPage

« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
I adored the Last Tango and I adored, as always, Derek Jacoby.  I also enjoyed SILK very much, but you know, it is not the end.  It is just the end of the first season.  I read somewhere that there is to be or has been another.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »
I've been missing Last Tango as I always watch Q&A on c-span at 8 pm, but I did get the 1st episode on the PBS site.  It's really good.  I've never used the On Demand so will have to check and see if I can get the other episodes.  I hope they do have a 2nd Silk series.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
I watched it, and I would rate the series "Almost good."

MaryPage

« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »
I watched BROADCHURCH last night, and am just as thrilled with the performances as ever.  Wonderful series.
The Fall issue of TV Guide came, and, while there is little to get excited about watching, most of it being all about sex or dreadful violence or rude, boorish behavior, and full of vampires and werewolves and futuristic robots, PBS has some real jewels on its schedule.  Some wonderful Shakespeare plays in a new series called THE HOLLOW CROWN.  They are also offering Age 56 of the every 7 years POV has been filming of the lives of a group of British school children.  I started out with this group, and it has been extremely interesting, albeit sometimes disappointing in the individuals themselves.  And to think it started 49 years or more ago!
The CW channel, and I had no idea this was available to me until I checked it out, and it is, is showing a new series about Mary, Queen of Scots called REIGN.  I am flabbergasted to read they play around with the history and insert people and events who never existed or never happened and put it all into the culture of today.  Shocking!  It would appear that our present civilization is inhabited by a population that can only relate to today's mindsets!  How sad!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
Thank you MaryPage, I am very glad to hear 56 Up is coming to PBS this year and I see it's October 14, how exciting. Here's the page on it:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/56up/

I haven't seen it yet. I'm wondering what conclusion they will come to, now. That was quite an experiment. I wonder what the British think of it? I'm wondering what conclusions can be drawn on the issue of school or scholastic opportunity in the UK governing your future life choices? If you don't go to a posh school do you have to drive a taxi for life?   And the elephant in the living room: what does it say about a  class system in the UK? Has it caused, I wonder, any shift in the educational system there at all? Or is nobody  talking about it or any of the issues it raises at all? Perhaps it's considered nonsense?

It was a fascinating thing. I'd like to see the Louds, again, too. I'd like to know how they turned out, but I'm afraid that their lives were essentially ruined by the televising;  the first reality show, wasn't it?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
Very few in the UK go to the POSH schools and since the 1940 plenty of other ways to get a education. Up to a person as to what the want to do. Lots of trade schools. Covering most occupations. No cost as long as you study well. Even pay you to go.
To be a taxi driver in u.k cost a person as much as a education in the cities. Have to own  the taxi,pay for expensive license and take long training. Most of Europe have a better Ed. System than u.s. now.
Class system gone. Will always be ,just like in the US. The poor, the lazy.people happy living low.  Opportunities are everywhere. If rich  its just easier. I am sure on POVThe will not show true picture.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
Most of Europe have a better Ed. System than u.s. now.

I know people like to say that, and they like to think it, and that's fine, de gustibus. But I don't agree. It may be that some countries in some disciplines have more advanced programs, but it's equally true that some are not up to the US mark, in some areas of study, either.  For instance,  to cite a personal instance,   I just came from an international  conference where I saw living proof that that is NOT the case, at least in the country  and area of study represented. And they were proud of what was presented, and it was an oral transcript of an actual session, by their own statement,  a very fine school (which would approximate the age of our high school children),  very difficult to get into.   It was quite surprising,  to tell you the truth, and I wasn't the only one who thought so.

I really can't say more, and won't, but I think that's another old myth which needs to be updated, because  that's not true of all or even most countries and all subjects and disciplines,  in Europe. Some may well be ahead in this or that area, usually math and science are cited,  some may not. Some may say they are ahead or "better," and yet perhaps they are not. Sometimes I wonder if a country's educational system reflects what it needs to teach rather perhaps than what would be ideal.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
I don't think that any schooling anyplace are turning out students knowing any subjects as good as even myself in late 40s. My daughters in the 60s.the grandchildren did well and their friends but mostly because we made rules they had to follow.
3 of mine are teachers. One a dean of a university. They say that math. Reading etc.are not up to most of the Asian children that seem to be about 30 pct of schools in my city. Higher at university of Ill. Where I live.
It all comes down to students and parents. It's there if they want it  and they are left alone if they don't.  You will find lots more in the future with a college degree working in the stores.
They need to drop many of the things they are letting them graduate from school with now and stick to the main things. Stop letting them go playing sports on grants.
U of Ill. Very guilty of this. Come out with degrees worth nothing. Couldn't drive a taxi because they can't make change.
Cheating has now become the number one problem at our university.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
Just got email from here.  This is the way it will go.  Will be back to only these called rich children going to univ. http://bitterbrushroofed.com/aAB_qYrtZDxO0zErwr5griaHv3y1K-Hd1Q

MaryPage

« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
Murder Mystery FUN and a brand new, to me, author.  Apparently Australian.
Tonight on Maryland Public Television (MPT) their Friday Night Mystery Hour brought us a brand new detective:  Phryne Fisher.  I have never previous to tonight heard of this series or this name.  It seems to be pronounced FRY KNEE.  Imagine!
The books are by Kerry Greenwood and are set in the Roaring Twenties.  The clothes are TO DIE FOR!  Seriously, if you had a dislike for mysteries, you would love this just to watch the outfits she wears.  I should have been born in the twenties.  Oh, Oops, I was!  And my mother wore these clothes, so probably that is why they turn me on so.

http://www.phrynefisher.com/

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »
Good PBS watching tonight from 7pm to 9:30.  "Last Tango in Halifax" and then "Foyles War". New series.  I really like that show.
I usually like PBS all Sunday because of the Cooking Shows but they keep showing the same shows over and over on most everything on "Create".  Some are so old the Chefs are dead.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »
MaryPage, I also love clothing from the 1920's. Thanks for mentioning this new-to-me series. I apparently missed episodes featuring Phryne Fisher that were shown on my PBS station in July.

I found the official Australian TV website at http://www.abc.net.au/tv/phrynefisher/pages/s3446963.htm with synopsis of the episodes.

My library has a DVD with all 13 episodes of season 1. But there are 78 people ahead of me on the wait list!!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of the two found-again loves in "Last Tango in Halifax." I'm also glad that Foyle's War will be back tonight.

MaryPage

« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
I am going to catch darling Derek Jacoby tonight, but have opted to skip Foyle's new series episode one and catch it in repeats, which there will be simply heaps of, and I am blessed in that I have 3 PBS channels in my one area.  I am going to watch CNN at ten instead, and see Prince William tell all about the new little Prince George.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »
 :D ;D ::) I think Halifax is a euphemism for Hellifax - what a riot - can't take it too seriously but my oh my - reminds me of Cold Comfort Farm not the story line but the underlying humor underlying these serious issues. - what a treat this series is going to be.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
Thank you. I had forgotten about "Last Tango", and might have waited til eight to turn on PBS.

At the beach Friday we ran into a charming young couple from London, vacationing in the States. they seemed to want to chat with we "natives", and we had a long talk. I asked: "tell me the truth. I watch a lot of English TV and movies, and they always show the weather as glorious. What is the weather in London really like?" She said "It's rubbish. you have to wait all week for a few good hours of weather."

She was excited that I watched British TV, and wanted to know what I watched. I think she was disappointed with my "old lady" choices, although too polite to say so. She and my son had many US shows in common, especially CSI.

She was very excited to hear that there was a Macy's nearby. She said they have nothing like it in London. I was surprised, never having thought of Macy's as anything special.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2013, 02:03:25 AM »
Oh but they have Selfridges - Harrods - Fortnum and Masons,  just the aroma entering the front door with chocolate, coffee and tea strongly wafting in the air - and then there is also, Liberty.  I think compared to years ago Macy may now be more like their Mark and Spencer's, although Macy's has a greater variety and price range that reminds me of a combo of M&S + Selfridges.

I guess we all think the well known shops in another country are more exotic than those we can pop into when we take on a day of shopping.

With just about anything online these days I prefer some of the small specialty shops that will have something that does not sell in the millions, often handmade. Even if I don't spend that kind of money it is always nice to see craftsmanship and local products.

Do you realize we only have 9 weeks till Thanksgiving which is late this year making it only 10 weeks till Hanukkah and a dozen weeks till Christmas - I was scheduling some long term plans today and was shocked to realize how little time if you plan, as I do to hand-make some gifts.  

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »
I watched "Last Tango in Halifax" and "Foyle's War" last evening. I agree, Barbara. Last Tango seems to be treating most of the "relationship" issues in a light hearted way.

I really enjoyed Foyle's War and the way that Foyle treated everyone.

Yikes, Barbara! What a wake up call for the little time left before the holidays!!!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »
Our station started running "the last tango in Halifax " last night' loved it. I am from the Halifax area and just hearing them made me homesick.  Sort of like the series" Coronation street"
Now. Foyles war. I am not going to watch it.  Liked the old ones but this one bored me. Watched the award show ending.  New York won again. A Egyption girl But born in USA.  and runner up Chinese.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
Last Tango seems to be a re tooling of As Time Goes By....boy meets girl, boy loses girl thru a  missing letter, boy finds girl again, families provide the necessary Strum und Drang.....I liked it though, as I liked As Time Goes By, too.  I guess its a bit more serious.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
Really enjoyed Foyle's War.  Love to watch Foyle's down-to-earth way of dealing with situations.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
Dana, You're right. I hadn't thought about the comparison with "As Time Goes By." Last Tango is not as funny, I think.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:15 PM »
As time goes by....it has been running on our PBS weekly for at least 15 years? It is good but time it left. Many good ones in UK could replace some of these old ones

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
I found Foyle's War confusing. Apparently, they cut off the first hour here. We didn't get the part where Sam meets her husband.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »
They could have shown a little of what happened from them ending the war. They jumped to far ahead.  I don't remember what and why he went to USA.  Maybe I missed something when the last series ended.  I didn't care for the start of this one. Will try again Sunday.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
Joan, Sam met her husband "last season" but it would have helped to have a review. They did seem to go quite a bit into the future with this season.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2013, 12:54:08 AM »
 I got the impression it was not meant to be a continuous story - but what was a disappointment Sam's husband in the last series was a far better looking than this husband.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Seems Sam looked better looking also. Not that pretty in this new one. A real tired look.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
Yes, Sam seems to have lost her bounce. There are hints that there's something going on with her that we don't know yet.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »
She is older and in real life I understand she now has a couple of children that she did not have during the earlier series - she is so thin I wondered if she looks tired that sometimes when folks just come off losing a bunch of weight it takes a bit for them to look rosey again in their thinness.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »
That is why I never worry to much when putting a few pounds on.  I notice the difference with my Elder daughter when she loosing about 10 pounds that she is always trying to do. (Doesn't need to as she is 5ft 9'' not like me 5ft 1". She just looks better with the weight on. (Never tell her though).

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »
JeanneP, you are a wise mother.  ;)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
Sunday's Foyle's War was really exciting!  Did anyone else watch?  I was disappointed with Last Tango.  It's going in some directions i don't like.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
Last Tango... is no As Time Goes By is it? I guess the fantasy of elder marriage is probably softer and romantic where as the reality is probably closer to Last Tango....

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
oh yes, FlaJean, Foyle's War was quite exciting. I really like the way that Foyle handles the cases and people.

Last Tango does have a bit of soap opera to it. When I looked up the writer of the series, Sally Wainwright, I saw that in addition to many original TV productions, she has written for some British soap operas :-)

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
I didn't like all that roughness that went on in "last tango" on Sunday. It had better change or I won't follow it.

MaryPage

« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
I have not been watching Foyle's War at all this go round.  Just tired of it, and the critics are not raving.
But am loving Last Tango in Halifax.  I will watch Derek Jacoby anywhere, anytime.  It was such a hoot hearing the two of them discuss their political beliefs!