Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 745821 times)

Babi

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #680 on: June 13, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

That's pretty much my take on Sprinkle, too.  A relaxing read with a nice puzzle to solve.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aberlaine

« Reply #681 on: June 13, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »
I loved The Other Boleyn Girl, both the book and the movie.

Thanks so much for your opinion.  I love learning history through books.  But not history books.  I watched all the Elizabeth movies and loved them all.  I thought the Helen Mirren one was the best.

Think I'll start The Other Boleyn Girl as soon as I finish one of my others.  I can only remember so many story lines at once.  ;)

Steph

« Reply #682 on: June 14, 2010, 05:35:45 AM »
Mudbound sounds interesting. I lived in South Carolina in the late 50's and Columbia at that time was extremely segregated.. They even had a black fair week and a white fair week.. Weird..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #683 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »
Oh, yes, Aberlaine. Learning history through fiction is more fun, but a
little iffy. Some is well researched, and some is...well...fiction.  I have a
bad habit of criticizing, aloud, films that pull some really bad boners,
like using current slang in medieval settings.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #684 on: June 14, 2010, 01:16:10 PM »
Babi: Maybe you could consider the use of current language in a medieval story as simply translation, as in from French to English?  I'm thinking of Chaucer, I'd not be able to understand much of it.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #685 on: June 15, 2010, 05:53:04 AM »
Bookmarks is here. So I made a list and just ordered several of the history fiction types from my swap club. They look good..I love bookmarks..

Babi

« Reply #686 on: June 15, 2010, 08:24:04 AM »
 Not translation, JACKIE. I'm thinking of cheap movies where the medieval
characters are saying things like "Yeah, right." or making references to
things that don't exist yet.

I think my library has Bookmarks, but I may be confusing it with some other book magazine.  I like historical fiction, too. What is Bookmarks recommending, STEPH?

Tomereader1

« Reply #687 on: June 15, 2010, 11:01:38 AM »
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #688 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
Most libraries have a free "BookPage" every month.  As far as subscription magazines, I have Never seen a Bookmarks at my library, in two branches.  They may have it downtown, but I don't go there.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #689 on: June 16, 2010, 05:55:54 AM »
Babi, Bookmarks reviews, has articles, etc.. There are always at least half a dozen suggestions that I write down and look for .. They have a wide variety of recommendations..Fun.. Our Ginny turned me on to it several years ago and I love it. One of the few magazine subscriptions that I enjoy. That and Southern Living actually.

Babi

« Reply #690 on: June 17, 2010, 08:28:03 AM »
No, you're right, TOME.  "Bookpage" is the publication I've seen at my
library.

I love Southern Living, STEPH, but I don't subscribe.  Far too many far
too tempting things to eat, and gardens that simply make me despair.
My 'gardening' is largely limited to weeding and pruning.

mabel1015j

« Reply #691 on: June 17, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
Just finished The Three Weissmanns of Westport. If you love Sense and Sensibility and want to pretend that nothing has changed for women since that time, you might enjoy this book. But! What a soap opera, right down to the unexpected pregnancy. What 20-something is not on birth control pills? What single 50-something male does not know to use condoms? One reviewer said every woman will love this book..........5 women desperately seeking a man?!? I don't think so. What whiny, self-absorbed people. I read to the end hoping that at least one of them would get a life of her own...............didn't happen! I don't understand the popularity of this book. The comparison to Sense and Sensibility is apt, but we are now in the 21st century, the desperate S and S behaviors didn't work for me. .................. jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #692 on: June 17, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
Mabel:  I took the book far less seriously than you, and found it wryly comic, absurdity on top of absurdity.  I'm sorry you feel ripped off, it was meant to be enjoyed not arouse anger.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

serenesheila

« Reply #693 on: June 17, 2010, 06:23:25 PM »
I began a new, fiction book, yesterday.  It is called:  "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand", by Helen Siminson.  It is a gentle, story of a widower, and an East Indian widow.  I really like the gentle pace.  It is very relaxing to read.  A nice change of pace from what I have been reading.

Sheila

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #694 on: June 17, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »
Sheila,

I enjoyed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" also... It was different from what I had been reading but was a nice change of pace for me...

On my trip home from NC I listened to Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber on audio cd in my car....It kept me awake and amused but was  a rather transparent plot...I knew from the beginning what the ending would be...It was the first book that I had ever read or listened to by Debbie Macomber...

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #695 on: June 18, 2010, 05:49:41 AM »
Macomber is a romance writer. gentle, but predictable.
Just finished reading an odd book.. I think non fiction actually. In Patricia Sprinkles book about the southern murder, she mentions the brain injury by the husband. She gave a list of books, she had used to characterize the book.. One of them was  Where is the Mango Princess by Cathy Crimmins. I got it from my swap club. It is a truly fascinating book.. about a man who is run over by a boat in a terrible accident.. His brain injury is horrible, but he lives and this is his wives story of the recovery.. Absolutly fascinating book.. I know very little about brain injuries and nothing about the recovery if possible and this book is really good.

Babi

« Reply #696 on: June 18, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
Coincidence! I just started "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand", too, SHEILA.
My older daughter's library had it on hold, and she just brought it to me
last evening. It's a nice change of pace.

I had a nephew who suffered a terrible head injury in a car/motorcycle accident
years ago. It was a miracle he survived.  It affected his life for many difficult years, but
he did gradually make a recovery.

mabel1015j

« Reply #697 on: June 18, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Jackie - my written response probably sounded "angrier" then i was about 3 Weissmanns, disappointed was probably a better word. I did giggle a couple of times, but i mostly just wanted to smack - lightly  ;D - all of the women in the book. It seemed so old-fashsioned to me and  I  was surprised at some of the positive reviews i saw and that my library had 5 copies, all "out." .................. it's o.k., most of the books i've read lately have been delightful, so i was due for a disappointment.................. :P .........jean

Steph

« Reply #698 on: June 19, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
Will move the Three Weismanns down on my list. Just now a brand new book has caught my attention.. The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. The man has four wives and lots of problems.. Read a reveiw in Bookmarks and now its way up on my list. Sounds fascinating.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #699 on: June 19, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
I read earlier the good reviews here of The Help.  I was on the reserve list for weeks but finally picked it up day before yesterday.  Finished last night.  I was born and raised in Virginia and it brought a lot of memories back of that time in our history.  It was a very good book.

nlhome

« Reply #700 on: June 19, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
Mabel, I did not enjoy the Three Weissmans either - in fact, I did not bother to finish it. I did not like the women characters - funny maybe, but I guess right now I didn't appreciate their behavior - perhaps stupidity is too strong.

Steph

« Reply #701 on: June 20, 2010, 06:07:49 AM »
I had better get The Help.. I will be the only person who has not read iti if I dont hurry up..

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #702 on: June 20, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
I had better get The Help.. I will be the only person who has not read iti if I dont hurry up..

You're probably right about, Steph, but it won't be time wasted.  I haven't met anyone who has NOT liked it.  Just an amazing first novel, and they're making a movie of it.  Yay.

Sheila and JoanG, I'm looking forward to reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.  DIL gave me her copy to bring home as her book club had read it.  She knows the author, who came to their discussion, and whose children attend the same high school as my grands.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #703 on: June 20, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
Hi Pedlin my friend. Are you coming to Seattle this summer?
Just finished Anne Siddon's new book as did another lady here at fairwinds. She is quite a literary person and told me to read it as she could not put it down. I fell for  it and to say the least it is not her best work. Very disappointing. I enjoyed the Help very much. I have now read 45 books on my Kindle, I thought I would use it mainly for travel but find I like it very much in bed too. 

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #704 on: June 20, 2010, 10:47:08 PM »
I just spent the most wonderful evening...I watched " To Kill a Mockingbird" on Turner Classic movies tonight. It has to be the most wonderful movie ever made. I think I enjoy it more each time that I see it. I  took a weekend  bus trip to Monroeville, AL a couple of years ago...when they were having one of their special weekends...I enjoyed that throughly also...Joan Grimes

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #705 on: June 20, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »
That's definitely my favorite movie, Joan - as it is for our daughters and granddaughters.  Two of our girls stopped in Monroeville a couple of years ago on their way to our week at the beach.  It's special!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #706 on: June 20, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »
Yes MaryZ.  It really is special.
Joan Grimes

Steph

« Reply #707 on: June 21, 2010, 05:45:52 AM »
Ah, my literate friends. I am ashamed to admit that my favorite movie is an old one.. Robin and Marion.. Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn as I recall. I am a Sean Connery serious fan..Sigh.. Very romantic movie.. MDH hated it.

salan

« Reply #708 on: June 21, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »
Steph, what did you think about South of Broad?  I loved it and gave it an 8 out of 10.  However, much to my surprise, I was definitely in the minority in my ftf reading group.  Most of them felt that it was too contrived.  I loved Conroy's writing and had no trouble accepting the premise.  Have any of you read it and what did you think?  I will be interested to hear.

I am currently reading "Arcadia Falls" by Carol Goodman and "Cutting for Stone" by Verghese.  Both are good so far.  I will read "Loving Frank" next for my ftf reading group.  Anyone have any feed back of these books?
Sally

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #709 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
Sally, we both loved South of Broad.  We felt it was more like the "old" Pat Conroy - when he wrote The Great Santini and The Lords of Discipline.  We didn't care for Prince of Tides and Beach Music.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #710 on: June 21, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
 How can one not love Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn...especially Audrey! As far as I'm concerned, everything she did was good. I don't remember her playing Maid Marian, but I'm going to see if I can find the film.

I've just started an old pb entitled "Red Sands" by authors I don't know..Paul B. Thompson and Tonya R. Carter.  The dialogue is florid,
the plot combines adventure and fantasy, it is all over-the-top,...and I
find myself wholly amused by it.  ::)

marjifay

« Reply #711 on: June 21, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
Sally wrote: "I am currently reading "Arcadia Falls" by Carol Goodman and "Cutting for Stone" by Verghese.  Both are good so far.  I will read "Loving Frank" next for my ftf reading group.  Anyone have any feed back of these books?"

I have Cutting for Stone on my TBR list, but it's over 500 pages, so it will be awhile before I get to it.

I haven't read Carol Goodman's Arcadia Falls.  Perhaps I'll give it a try.
Her Night Villa was a DNF for me, needed editing I thought, pretty repetitive and boring IMO, altho many here at Sr. Learn who read it really liked it. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #712 on: June 21, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
I have read Loving Frank....It really left me with a bad taste....Frank Lloyd Wright really is a disappointment to me...I had visited one of his houses here in Alabama and really wanted to read more about him...but he was a real disappointment to me...Glad I have read the book though and know what he really was like...Joan Grimes

mrssherlock

« Reply #713 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
FLW was undoubtedly a genius forging a new path for architecture but he was an SOB, IMHO.  I read Loving, DNF, it was too grim.  Speaking of Help, Stockett writes a jacket blurb for Sarah Blake's The Postmistress.  Iris is postmaster she insists, of Franklin, the easternmost town in Massachusetts, on the very tip of Caper Cod, surrounded by water.  Iris is the young doctor's wife, whom he leaves behind when he flees to 1941 London to help the Brits while Germany is trying to pound the city flat.  100 bombs a minute for five hours, Blake states, one dreadful day.  Reporting from London is Ed Murrow's protegee, Frankie Bard who brings her unique skill at narration, carrying the listeners along as she describes the horrors.  The lives of these three women tell a powerful story, full of the details which make up a war for those not directly involved.  This one will be with me for a very long, long time.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/sarah-blake/postmistress.htm
Jackie

nlhome

« Reply #714 on: June 21, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Loving Frank is fiction, Joan. There are several nonfiction books about Frank Lloyd Wright. I have started Death in a Prairie House.

He was a fascinating man, but very arrogant, from what I understand.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #715 on: June 21, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
Yes,  I know that Loving Frank is fiction...I have read some non fiction about him too that really backs up his arogance and his whole attitude that is presented in Loving Frank....Just do not like the man...Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #716 on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:32 PM »
Salan, I enjoyed Arcadia Falls. I like the interweaving of fairy tales or other stories from the past with the current action. I also like the references to art or literature in Carol Goodman's books. I usually look for non-fiction books that provide more background about the art or literature topics that are part of her books. I've read all of her books and enjoyed them all (The Ghost Orchid somewhat less than the others).

Steph

« Reply #717 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »
I loved South of Broad, although it was a bit over the top occasionally.. Hated Loving Frank.. Like Joan G.,, I love his architecture, but Oh me,, what a terrible man.. We went to Taleisen in Wisconsin several years ago. Beautiful in many places, but oh me.. bathrooms are almost non existant, stair cases are teeny.. and the furniture is built in, so his taste is enforced, not whoever lives there. Still there are glorious bits. Falling Waters was spectacular..
The Postmistress sounds interesting.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #718 on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:29 AM »
Mrs Sherlock, thanks for the summary of THe Postmistress.  I was unfamiliar with either title or author, but am now #2 on my library's hold list.

Frank Lloyd Wright was/is a big name in my hometown of Racine, WI.   He designed the Johnson Wax building and also Wingspread, the home of the HF Johnson family (now a conference center).  When I was a kid every out of town visitor to my home was dragged over to tour the building.  And as a kid, what fascinated me was the fact that there were no windows.

Now, across the river from my SE Missouri home is the Stinson Library in Anna, IL, supposedly designed by FLW, but probably more likely by one of his students.  I've been saying, for the past 30+ years, that I'd like to go visit it.  Maybe some day.

Steph

« Reply #719 on: June 23, 2010, 05:46:14 AM »
My list of books I want is getting way out of hand. Ever since the accident, I am reading at about half the speed I used to. Still terribly hard to concentrate and sit still. I am so restless. I would guess looking for the man who is not here.
Also I realized the other day that planning for our rv trips and others took up a lot of our time. We searched the web, talked of areas, planned on rv parks or hotels.. Amazing.. when I think of the hours we investesd in travel. I would guess this was really our life.