General Book Discussions & More > Education on the Internet

Education on the Internet

<< < (3/12) > >>

mabel1015j:
I just recently found Khan Academy, apparently started by one guy to teach math. That first site was so good and so popular that he went on to other subjects. Isn't that great? A real initiator and entrepreneur. Again i say, this is what they told us in 1990 the internet would become.
Jean

jane:
When you mentioned Bill Gates and watching educational stuff, this triggered the thought of his supposedly favorite math teacher and website: the KhanAcademy link I gave above...according to:

Bill Gates favorite free tutor

MaryPage:
http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/?ar_a=1&ar_r=1

mabel1015j:
MaryPage - my #1 grandson, age 9 is crazy about Natl Geographic's site. He has a problem focusing, staying on track, unless it's something he's very interested in. I showed him how to get to the NG videos, he's in love w/ wolves for some reason, so he saw a couple videos on wolves and was hooked.

He's learned how to move from one video to another and is learning new spelling and no longer wants to watch Sponge Bob or those tween shows where the kids do nothing but yell at each other and put down each other. Pre-teen is a terrible age for any decent tv. So i was thrilled that he liked the ipad and could learn something while engrossed in the videos.

Jean

mabel1015j:
The history Channel, of course, has hundreds of videos and narratives about everything. I was reading thru their "America, the story of US" when i tangented (is that a word, if not it should be, it's the perfect word for getting on to another track while surfing the web!) to a series of short videos - and that's the nice thing about the History Channel, they have many, many 2, 3, 4 min videoes to watch - on the Medicis of Florence, showing their houses and art they commisioned. So, i thought i pass it on.......

http://www.history.com/topics/lorenzo-de-medici/videos#leonardos-deluge

Jean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version