Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 361621 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #880 on: September 29, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

Babi

« Reply #881 on: September 29, 2010, 09:12:46 AM »
 The books by McCaffery's son got better, captured his mother's style better, as they went on.
But I agree there was more war.  I suppose it's a 'man' thing; action is more interesting than
personalities.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #882 on: October 12, 2010, 05:29:47 PM »
Charles Stross' first caught my fancy with his Merchants series, about families who live in both our world and a parallel universe where they collect wealth from their manipulations here,  Lots of fun, lots of action, some violence. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/charles-stross/family-trade.htm

His first book, The Atrocity Archives is quite a horse of a different color.  Our hero is Bob Howard who belongs to an ultra-secret spy organization of the British government called The Laundry.  He is an adept at managing IT (Information Technology) as well as possessing some skills at magick.  An example:  he is meeting a Brit who wants to come home but the US gov't won't let her go.  When they go to her apartment to speak in private, a multi-tentacled being grabs her and tries to pull her through the wall.  Bob whips out his handy-dandy Palm (remember those?) and zaps the monster.  Told with more than a touch of farce and slapstick. Bob stumbles from one near disaster to another.  I'm glad to see that Stross has more adventures of Bob Howard for me to read, many happy hours of fun.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #883 on: October 13, 2010, 06:29:37 AM »
Now that sounds like a fun book to read. Made note.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #884 on: October 15, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »
Indeed, that sounds like fun.

My recent sci-fi reading hasn't been much to my usual taste.  The assigned book for my f2f club (meeting yesterday) was Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".  I'm not a Heinlein fan, but this was a reasonably good read.  It describes the 2076 revolt of the lunar populace against the oppressive Earth, masterminded by a sentient computer, a professor, a woman agitator, and the narrator, the computer repairman who first recognized the sentience and befriended the computer.  There's lots of interesting sociology, and unfortunately lots of Heinlein's political theory, Libertarianism.  I'm not too clear about it, but I don't seem to agree with it.

Babi

« Reply #885 on: October 16, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
  That pretty much expressed my reaction to Heinlein, too, PAT.  I never did like him.  A friend of
mine who did like him got very hot on the subject, demanding I explain to her why I didn't like him.  I declined,  insisting on my right to my likes and dislikes.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #886 on: October 16, 2010, 10:50:03 AM »
I looked up a list of Heinlein's creations. While I must have read one or two of his short stories (assuming there were some), I do not recall ever reading his books. Starship Troopers I am familiar with only through the movie. I only ever watched about a half hour of it. It didn't appeal to me at all. I probably should give him some leeway as he was one of the SciFi Founding Fathers. I've heard of Stranger in a Strange Land, and was surprised to discover that it was a favorite of Charles Manson. Maybe I should take back that leeway.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #887 on: October 16, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »
Some while back, someone mentioned Stranger in an Strange Land here, and it turned out that people were divided: some loved it, others hated it.  I was one of the haters.  It's pretty far out.

I lucked out in the discussion, though.  It turned out that the man across from me me was a Heinlein worshiper, and I found it out in time to be tactful.  Nobody pulled any punches in a very thorough analysis of the book, though.

Steph

« Reply #888 on: October 17, 2010, 06:28:30 AM »
I liked most of Heinlein, but I was young when I read him.. Too too macho.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #889 on: October 17, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »
I liked most of Heinlein, but I was young when I read him.. Too too macho.
I think that's the key, Steph.  In that previous conversation, the people who liked Stranger had read it when they were young.

Nobody likes everything.  I'm often surprised at the wide-ranging tastes here.

Steph

« Reply #890 on: October 19, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Actually Heinlin was only writing what worked in that period. Science Fiction in the 50's, when I was starting out was very very science oriented and very macho.. The lone male sort of stuff.

mrssherlock

« Reply #891 on: October 19, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
Joe Abercrombie is a new name and his books have some violence BUT I like his stories and characters.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/joe-abercrombie/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #892 on: October 19, 2010, 10:34:07 PM »
He looks interesting, Jackie, which one do you recommend reading first?

Babi

« Reply #893 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:08 AM »
 I've finally begun the third book in David Weber's 'Oath" (my term) series,  "Wind Rider's Oath".
Absolutely teeming with characters, but he identifies them up front for us.  Quick reference if I
get lost, and he does manage to make most of them distinctive enough to be remembered.

Steph

« Reply #894 on: October 21, 2010, 06:16:35 AM »
An old author I loved.. James Blish. I have his Cities in Flight series and loved it. The idea of Pittsburgh flying off into the sky is such a lovely mental picture.

Babi

« Reply #895 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38:41 AM »
 Now that summons up an image, STEPH.  I can think most cities would profit if certain parts of
them would simply fly off into the sky.   :)

Steph

« Reply #896 on: October 22, 2010, 06:11:55 AM »
Maybe someone really will invent Spindizzies and off we would go..

Babi

« Reply #897 on: October 22, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
 Of course we will, STEPH.  :D   We've seen it again and again.  Once mankind can envision
something, sooner or later he can bring it to pass.  And the science fiction writers were up
front.

Steph

« Reply #898 on: October 23, 2010, 06:35:11 AM »
The number of small things from science fiction that end up real has always interested me.. But then a good number of science lovers probably read science fiction and keep that in their minds later in life and say What If..

mrssherlock

« Reply #899 on: October 24, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
Patricia Wrede has written a trilogy with Caroline Stevermer, telling a Jane Austen-like story through letters between two young women as they come-of-age in a magical England (pun intended) http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/patricia-c-wrede/sorcery-and-cecelia.htm I enjoyed this so much I'm reading other Wrede books, especially The Thirteenth Child, a girl whose twin brother, the youngest child, is the seventh son of a seventh son making him very powerful in the magic department. this is an America called Columbia with trains but still dependent on the horse for basic transport.  We share intimately in the daily life of this family of 16
Jackie

mrssherlock

« Reply #900 on: October 24, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
A thunder storm interrupted my post.  to sum up, "Child" was a fun read and looks like book #1.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #901 on: October 25, 2010, 06:14:15 AM »
 I like Patricia Wrede and will look for the child..Sounds good.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #902 on: October 26, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »
At the end of July, several of you recommended Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven to me.  Starting at position 41 on my library's queue, I have just now gotten the book.  It's a particularly bad time, since I'm reading 2 other books for discussions and will be traveling, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #903 on: October 26, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
PatH:  Hope your "bad time" has a short duration. 
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #904 on: October 26, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »
Jackie, fortunately the "bad time" only refers to not having enough time for an additional book, so one way or another, I'll be fine.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #905 on: November 10, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
I still haven't gotten to the Kay.  The current impediment was rereading Octavia Butler's "Kindred" for my f2f sci-fi discussion group tomorrow.  I think we talked about it when Butler died 4 years ago, and many of you have read it.  It's very powerful, certainly stands up well to rereading.  A black woman writer in 1976 keeps getting shifted back to a slave-owning farm in Maryland in 1810 and following years.  She soon figures out that each time she saves the life of the son of the white owner, who is her ancestor via a slave on the property.

It's a great example of using sci-fi techniques to say things that are hard to say conventionally.  We not only get the searing picture of slave life at that time, we get the analysis of the modern woman, stuck there, seeing what you have to do to survive, and what it does to you as a  person.  We also get a lot of analysis of how people control each other, through love, hate, and power.  Strong stuff--I'll be interested to see what anyone has to say tomorrow.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #906 on: November 10, 2010, 09:17:17 PM »
Pat, I hope that you'll report on your f2f discussion. Octavia Butler is one of my favorite authors. She was so imaginative.

There is an interesting short biography of her at http://www.answers.com/topic/octavia-butler

An excerpt from an interview on site above:
"I don't write utopian science fiction because I don't believe that imperfect humans can form a perfect society," Butler confessed in Black Scholar. "Nobody is perfect," she insisted to Vibe. "One of the things I've discovered even with teachers using my books is that people tend to look for 'good guys' and 'bad guys,' which always annoys the hell out of me. I'd be bored to death writing that way. But because that's the only pattern they have, they try to fit my work into it."

Most importantly, she tried, in her later writings, including the Parable tales, to explore issues of nation building and community building without some of the fantastic ingredients she and other science fiction writers had relied upon in the past. She asserted to Vibe, "Part of what I wanted to do in the new book was to begin a new society that might actually get somewhere, even though nobody has any special abilities, no aliens intervene, and no supernatural beings intervene. The people just have to do it themselves." Sutton seconded this in LA Weekly: "In Butler's bible, the meek don't inherit the earth: they refuse both the earth and the idea of meekness."

Though much of Butler's work confronts the sort of bedrock difficulties of co-existence that many of her fellow science fiction authors tend to avoid, Butler has repeatedly emphasized that she finds the genre intensely liberating. When asked by Black Scholar what drew her to the form, she replied "The freedom of it; it's potentially the freest genre in existence." "

Steph

« Reply #907 on: November 11, 2010, 05:46:55 AM »
 Iliked her writing, but oh my, she is so dark in outlook.

Babi

« Reply #908 on: November 11, 2010, 08:26:04 AM »
 That's why I never cared for Butler's writing,...the darkness.  While I understand her viewpoint
about nobody being perfect, that's not why I read sci/fi.  As I've said before, with 'darkness' so
often apparently winning in real life, I really need to escape to a battle where the good side is
winning.

Frybabe

« Reply #909 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »
Good Morning everyone!

I've just started Martian Chronicles.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #910 on: November 12, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »
Frybabe, I think that Ray Bradbury was the first science fiction writer who I read and he hooked me for life.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #911 on: November 12, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
I remember reading bits of "The Martian Chronicles" when they first appeared in The Saturday Evening Post, at an age too young to appreciate them.  But sci-fi was always hanging around, since my father was a fan, subscribed to the good magazines--Astounding (later Analog), Fantasy and Science Fiction, Galaxy, etc, plus bought some books.  So I'm not sure what hooked me--it was just hanging in the air.  It didn't work with JoanK, though, she still mostly doesn't like sci-fi.

Frybabe, I wait eagerly to learn what you think of the Bradbury.  I did reread it, with pleasure, as an adult, but it's been so long ago that I don't know what I'd think of it now.

Frybabe

« Reply #912 on: November 13, 2010, 08:59:31 AM »
Ray Bradbury is one of my favorites. In fact, if I had to rank them, I would probably put him at the top. His is the first name that pops into my head when anyone mentions SciFi. My favorite Bradbury is Fahrenheit 451 - and, of course, it is about books  ;D

Babi

« Reply #913 on: November 14, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »
 The first name that pops into my head is Isaac Asimov.  That man was astonishing!  It's
incredible how much he was able to accomplish, and not just in writing sci/fi.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #914 on: November 14, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »
Babi, yes, Asimov was a genius. From a wikipedia article: "His works have been published in nine of the ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System (The sole exception being the 100s: philosophy and psychology, although he did write a foreword for The Humanist way, which is published in the 100s)."

It's difficult to pick one favorite. Many science fiction writers I enjoy write very differently. I thought that Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 was based on such an imaginative idea. As well, I thought that Asimov's three Laws of Robotics and all of their implications were fascinating.

Steph

« Reply #915 on: November 15, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
I loved the Three rules of robotics.
but my favorite writer of this genre.. Marion Zimmer Bradley. I loved Darkover.. Wished I lived there.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #916 on: November 17, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »
I never got around to reporting on my last f2f sci-fi discussion group meeting, discussing "Kindred".  (Modern black woman writer Dana keeps getting pulled back through time to rescue her ancestor Rufus, white slave owner in the early 1800s, from death, so the next generation can be conceived.)  Many of you have read it, but some interesting points were made.  People who had already read some first hand accounts of freed slaves said that this did a much better job of telling them what being a slave was really like, because it shows slavery through the eyes of a modern woman, with her reactions and expectations, so the contrast is glaring.  Also, the freed slaves were writing with the literary and moral conventions of the time--stilted language, being apologetic about being raped, etc, which made it seem less real.

The conversation also brought out something that I now see is a recurring theme in Butler's books--the ways that men and women exercise power over each other.  Rufus does a sort of gaming with his slaves, and once he really takes in what is going on with Dana's mysterious appearances, he does it with her too, as she does with him.  they both need each other, and use the need to get what they want.  I realize that Butler's "Wild Seed", which I read a long time ago, had this theme too.  It seems to me that mostly Butler's women get the worse deal, though Dana comes out ahead in the end.

Many were horrified at the compromises slaves had to make to survive, and some couldn't finish the book.  Most of them are pretty tough, too.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #917 on: November 17, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »
"Kindred" was the last book on the list, so there was some hurried voting for the next 4 titles. Next time: "Altered Carbon", by Richard Morgan (never heard of either, but it looks worth trying).

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/richard-morgan/altered-carbon.htm

During the discussion for titles, someone said: "name some hard science fiction".  Dunno if they meant science-based or difficult, but it was taken as difficult, and one answer given was "Left Hand of Darkness", which we have recently managed to analyze very well.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #918 on: November 17, 2010, 09:14:02 PM »
Pat, I agree that power over others, and specifically the power men and women exercise, is one of the recurring themes in Butler's books, as well as how people organize themselves to meet their needs and fulfill their hopes. It sounds like you had a very productive discussion with your f2f group. Thanks for the report.

The book, "Altered Carbon," has an interesting premise. Please let us know what you think of it.

Babi

« Reply #919 on: November 18, 2010, 08:44:28 AM »
 I just started Meredith Lackey's "Sleeping Beauty" and am thoroughly enjoying it.  Definitely a
fantasy, with a fairy tale setting but with ingenious twists.  It would take someone with Lackey's
skills to bring it off, but she does it handily.