Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1971682 times)

nlhome

Re: The Library
« Reply #18840 on: April 03, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
We watched the live performance of Jesus Christ Superstar Sunday night. It's rare that my husband and I watch and enjoy the same show, but this one brought back a lot of memories, of the music and the musical and of our early church experiences.

I too enjoy Madam Secretary, and I watched the last half of that. I missed Call the Midwife, which I enjoy very much. Our PBS station has a variety of good programs this time of year.

Of the book list, the Maeve Binchy title is appealing. I enjoy her books. However, I find that delving so deeply into books reminds me of my English Major days in college, so I may follow along but probably won't participate.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #18841 on: April 03, 2018, 02:35:28 PM »
nilhome - thanks - your posting now and then is encouraging - we enjoy your thoughts even if they are not an indepth comment - your post gives us the warm feeling of friends reading at their own pace and enjoyment - noted is that I take it your vote is for Binchy

By the way do you get the email from Maeve Binchy - I signed up a couple of years ago and during your Birthday month she sends you specials as a Happy Birthday - nice... and then monthly there is an email about her latest publications and other tidbits -
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #18842 on: April 03, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
nlhome, Don't ever think you can not post during a discussion because you don't delve as deep as some of us.  We love any participation from all.

Barb, I could never imagine discussing any book for only one week.  I mean how is that even possible?  I am spoiled to SeniorLearn, we have something very special here.  I hope the mailers help.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18843 on: April 04, 2018, 07:42:40 AM »
Heads up - I downloaded 7. That Month in Tuscany by Inglath Cooper  last night and read it staying up all hours -

Cute but not enough to talk about - a chick book that has a marriage break up, a daughter who was all for Dad till she acknowledges he sleeps around, a 20th Wedding Anniversary vacation that last minute Dad bails. Wife, out of character goes alone. While in flight by accident wife meets a famous rock star, who lost his brother and blames himself -

Of course, like Cinderella and Prince Charming they fall in love and end up together after lawyer, philandering husband, who always gets his way heads to Italy to find wife -all sorts of happenings much like a noontime soap opera as the story winds down to Rock Star and a newly awakened long suffering wife agree to marry on the Spanish Steps in Rome followed by yep, last short chapter, they are going to have a baby -

They meet when she was 38 and he 31 - one thing and another a few years pass so she will be having her baby when she is in her 40s and they will name it for Prince Charming's deceased brother since the name works for either boy or girl.

That's it - Frankly there was nothing else to talk about -a few locations in Italy to research, a few examples of Michelangelo to post and maybe a recipe or two - that would have been it... I think we can safely cross That Month in Tuscany off our list...   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18844 on: April 04, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
Barb, thanks for coming up with good ideas.

I already have a preference, but I'm going to see what I can find out quickly about the others before picking.

bellamarie

« Reply #18845 on: April 04, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
Barb, thank you  for checking Tuscany out.  I had read the review on it and surmised the same as you. I don't really care too much for so called "chick" books.  I will read a romance novel every now and then, but I sort of need more substance if I am going to take precious time to read.  Our FB book club seems to have settled on Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate for discussion to begin on May 7th.  I'm excited, I will be reading two books in May!

PatH., I can not wait to hear which one you prefer. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18846 on: April 04, 2018, 02:52:55 PM »
Here is just the list again with the Tuscany book eliminated - see we are narrowing the list  ;) - so far we have suggested The Hideaway - Winter Garden - Evening Class

I like those choices and in addition the two that intrigue me and I want to check into are: The Tour - The Women in the Castle.

The Tour because the writer is an experienced writer but more, she is Irish - I have yet to ever be disappointed in the work of an Irish writer - they have a way with words that no one can surpass and their storylines are full - this book appears to be about more than a marriage gone wrong - or love among the lilies - According to her bio she was a tour guide and that experience prompted her writing this book - here is her bio

https://www.irishamericanmom.com/2016/10/23/introducing-irish-author-jean-grainger/

As to The Women in the Castle I find the idea of the wives of men who carried out such despicable horrors a fascinating study in human nature - only recently did I finally get into Hannah Arendt and the Banality of Evil - I can see what she is saying and realize how much we want leaders to be brave and courageous to step out of an evil system. Breaking that belief is difficult and so, like the one movie I saw, one minute I can see her point of view and then next I am as horrified as those in the University who did not agree.  Separating actions from a system and seeing a system as a constraint to individual action sound like excusing individual behavior - However, not sure that is what she is saying. I'm getting how ordinary people can commit evil - they are not a special breed of monsters that we attempt to understand by assigning that rational.

The concept of the banality of evil explains, for me, the current state of politics and the work of those in on-going government systems, as well as the mass shootings and the police who shoot black men, all who have been splashed all over the news for the past couple of years. Aside, Jessica Shattuck in not only an experienced writer but a finalist for the PEN/Winship Award. Her books prompt the reader to think what we would do in a similar situation. 

Here again is the pruned list... 

1. The Girls of Ennismore by Patricia Falvey -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1496709950/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2. The Hideaway by Lauren K. Denton

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0718084225/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

3. The Tour by Jean Grainger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482385635/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

4. The Women in the Castle: A Novel by Jessica Shattuck

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062563661/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2BZJ3OE7RA6B&psc=1

5. Things We Surrender: A Lowcountry Novel by Heidi Hostetter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0996133755/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

6. Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah (older but less difficult a subject than her new book - this still takes place in Alaska)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312663153/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A2XF5HY28Z1YOG&psc=1

7. Evening Class by Maeve Binchy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440223202/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Frybabe

Re: Th
« Reply #18847 on: April 05, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »
Sorry, none of the books seem particularly interesting to me. I will take another look at them a bit later.

This morning brings a short list of books about myths and legends. http://manybooks.net/articles/free-ebooks-about-myths-legends-from-around-the-world I've been collecting some old books and the subject but the only one of these I have is Australian Legendary Tales. So far, my collection also includes The Mabinogion (Welsh), Manx Fairy Tales (Sophia Morrison), Lays and Legends of the English Lake Country (John Pagen White), several books on the Arthurian legend, several Norse, German, Russian, and Eastern European books of tales, and a few other places around the world.

bellamarie

« Reply #18848 on: April 05, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
I noticed Winter Garden is for as little as $4.00 on Ebay.  I never thought to look on Ebay for books before.  I think I will be checking on there more often now.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18849 on: April 05, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
Frybabe I too like mythology and like reading especially the various Arthur stories - I have two of the Icelandic/Norwegian Sagas on my shelves that I never have read more than the first few pages - finding a few others who would be willing to read some of the myths would be the answer for us Frybabe - if you know anyone so there is more than just the two of us.

The novels we do read even if the participation is only a few we know there are others who are following - I sure hope this time the followers will post even if only one time a week - it is so encouraging to our reading when we hear other's reaction to the story. We all enjoy a story in a different way and that is the fun of reading as a group -

Marci and Jane are preparing a mailout telling everyone about the plan for May and how we are making our choice this week - again we have 3 selections chosen and two of us, Pat and myself, who have not added our choice - I expect that by weeks end we can further whittle down the list and by Monday we will make our choice from a shorter list.

Bellamarie is your other group a face to face group or an online reading group - I forgot now the name of the book your group was reading but I did recognize it as one of the more popular books folks are reading.

Last night I read the excerpt Amazon provides for The Girls of Ennismore - Sounds like it is a story of class difference - reminds me of how in the nineteenth century it was typical in the South for Black and White children to play together - the difference from this story was they did not attend the same school if, as girls they even went to school - it appears this story is not only taking place in late nineteenth century Ireland but it follows the girls into adulthood. I am not sure without reading the entire book but it may include the time of the "Troubles" with I bet the girls on opposite sides of Irish Independence.  By and large though, the excerpt is setting the story to be about the differences and different opportunities available to each girl based on her class.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18850 on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »
I like myths and legends too.

For anyone with schoolchildren in their circle, Ingri and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire have produced beautifully illustrated retellings of the Greek and Roman myths.  Lloyd Alexander's five volume Prydain series is loosely based on the Mabinogion, and follows the journey of the hero from assistant pig-keeper to much greater things.  Susan Cooper's five volume The Dark is Rising series is based on Arthurian, Welsh, and English legend.  I found these interesting as a grownup when my children were reading them.

Fantasy writer Niel Gaiman has recently come out with a retelling of the Norse myths; I haven't seen it yet, but I'm guessing he does a good job.  He certainly has shown in other writing that he cares about the subject.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18851 on: April 05, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
Barb, it's no good stopping with a few pages of a saga, because they tend to start by going back about three generations to give you the complete ancestral history of everyone.  If you're Icelandic, you care about this, and sometimes it matters, because they tend to pass down grudges and feuds through the generations.  I've read some of them, mean to read them all eventually.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18852 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip Pat - now we just have to do one - yes, let's fit one in late summer or early fall - leave it to you and Frybabe to make a good choice - it would be a change and fun - Pat we could share it if that would work to lesson the work...

bellamarie

« Reply #18853 on: April 06, 2018, 12:12:21 AM »
Barb,
Bellamarie is your other group a face to face group or an online reading group - I forgot now the name of the book your group was reading but I did recognize it as one of the more popular books folks are reading.

It is not face to face, it is online at the Rosemont Facebook page called For the Love Of Books.  Once you are at the page, you type in the search bar "book club" and that is the page the discussion is on.  They read the book in the month of April, then begin the discussion in May, which is so different than our book club here. They are reading  Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.  It is more popular, and was released in June of 2017.  I was at my library today and was put on the list which should not take long since they have twenty-five copies of it and I am #2 on the list.

While I was at the library I also was looking for some of the books on our list here to see if they would be available.  So far I should not have any problem or delays in getting which ever one is chosen.

GHOP

« Reply #18854 on: April 07, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
I think Winter Garden sounds interesting.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18855 on: April 07, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »
Winter Garden does sound interesting doesn't it - you are new with us - so glad you found us - Welcome - hope you can join our reading group in May -

Over the years we have been reading as a group with a bit more than looking at the plot - we like to find out more about the small aspects usually mentioned in a story and then we all have differing opinions of various characters and their motives - we do not read the entire book at one time - we break it into parts so that we have the kind of questions we typically have while we are reading alone - after reading for instance a chapter 8 we may wonder what will happen next or what will become of a certain character and so these are some of our questions as we discuss this book.

Assuming your 'name' is a made up group of letters until you share otherwise we will call you by the name you have shared. All to say GHOP here is a link to the archive of our past discussions since we have been Senior Learn - we started out years ago as SeniorNet and change occurred so the reading group became its own web site - we still have most of the book discussions in the archive from the SeniorNet association if you have a further interest in our group reading history.

Again, hope you will pull up your chair and join us - the May discussion will start on April 30, and the week before we have a week of chit chat usually about the author and our success getting our book - We often share what we know about the setting of the book but we do not talk about the story in advance.

Here is the link to the archived discussions so you can get a flavor or how we discuss a book...
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=45.0

Jonathan

« Reply #18856 on: April 07, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Welcome to the Library, GHOP. And thank you, for showing a preference for Winter Garden. It does look good. Join the discussion. You'll meet the friendliest, most discerning reading group on the Net. I enjoy reading the raves about Winter Garden.  Everyone agrees it's an unforgettable tale.

Frybabe

« Reply #18857 on: April 07, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
Hi GHOP. I hope your Latin classes went well. They should be soon done for the summer. Beginning of May? I put my classes on hiatus this winter but I may rejoin in the fall. I had intended on going back over some old ground on my own to bolster my memory and get in some more grammar practice, but that didn't happen, so far.

Yes, Winter Garden appeals to me more than the others, too.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18858 on: April 07, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
Glad to see you Jonathan - looks like Winter Garden is pulling ahead -

I looked into a few of the others and found Things We Surrender confusing after reading the bit available on Amazon - it speaks to the story being about her return to Charleston and conflict with her sister and yet it starts with her leaving two abusive men, one in the US and the other in Italy - and so I just cannot figure how that relates - on the plus side, the author, Heidi Hostetter writes about strong women and was the writer for The Gilmore Girls, one of my favorite TV series.

I looked further into The Hideaway and found the excerpt read on Amazon a delight and more, the voice that read the excerpt was so cheerful - and so regardless what we read I ordered this book since I believe I will enjoy the upbeat nature of the main character. 

Looks like there are more preferring the "heartbreaking story of love, loss, and redemption" that describes Winter Garden. Oh dear - looks like we suffer reading this - but it appeals with the Russian aspect in Alaska and Kristin Hannah always writes well - this one will put a spotlight on mother daughter issues - putting a more positive spin on our choice, the story will be better than reading how the wives of Nazi leadership handled themselves and their inner ability to cope after WWII that is the story of The Women in the Castle.

The other book I plan on reading will be the Maeve Binchy, Evening Class - the idea of someone attempting to further their prospects with more education I find appealing - the reading excerpt was great but the sound excerpt was confusing to say the least - not only full of static but also what an Irish tune had to do with the story I do not know however, another writer like Kristin Hannah, Maeve Binchy never disappoints.

well with three for Kristin Hanna and one suggestion but not a vote of The Hideaway and one vote for Evening Class it appears that there is more interest in Winter Garden - we will leave the final to Monday to be sure but so far it holds the greater interest.   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18859 on: April 07, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »
Well I did it- I just ordered a used copy of Winter Garden with complete faith in y'all that this will be a fine read - yep, I have trepidation's but then the author is a fine author and I am putting my trust in all of your ability to pick a good book for our discussion - if there is an onslaught of change by Monday then so be it and I will have another book on my pile but a used hardback for $2 plus shipping I could not ignore. I will be shocked if the book arrives by the end of next week -it will probably arrive the following week - which is fine considering how we do not read the book in advance - In a speck over 3 weeks we start our pre-discussion and to stay official we will officially announce our choice on Monday...  :-*

bellamarie

« Reply #18860 on: April 07, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
Barb
Looks like there are more preferring the "heartbreaking story of love, loss, and redemption" that describes Winter Garden. Oh dear - looks like we suffer reading this

Kristen Hannah is one of my favorite authors.  She has never disappointed, and I can't wait to begin reading and discussing Winter Garden. A little human emotions can't hurt or dissuade us, we have read far more moving books about ships going down, and lives lost to the Ebola virus.   

Welcome GHOP, it is nice to see a new face to the group, I do hope you will join is in our May selection.

Frybabe, I am so happy to see you are in agreement with us on Winter Garden.  It sounds interesting, even i fas Barb pointed out, we may suffer a bit with the love, loss and redemption.

Jonathan, I am so excited you are also in agreement with Winter Garden

Looks like we have a winner!  Unless the scales tip drastically over the week end.

PatH., I am still waiting to hear your selection.

Frybabe

« Reply #18861 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
Another find in Gutenberg today in the Legends category: Robin Hood by Joseph Ritson, http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56926   This is interesting because Mr. Ritson complied many Robin Hood stories, poems, and papers he found into one book. This edition is richly embellished and as fair number of photos/illustrations. Enjoy!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18862 on: April 08, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
Wow Frybabe we could take days and days reading this book - I am trying to remember and I bet I'm old enough now that there is no one who had the same school experience but in the 8th grade I remember one of the books that was required reading and that we read parts of in class was a long tale all written in prose - it was my first experience reading anything written in prose and I remember being astonished that the story was easy to understand and I enjoyed reading the book - but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the book or story.

Whatever it was it took us a couple of weeks to complete and it was as long as a novel. I'm remembering in high school 9th grade in class we read and studied Ivanhoe and then Macbeth during the next semester. The next year was all Shakespeare with Hamlet followed in Spring with Richard III and then, in Junior year it was Candide and The Death of Ivan Ilyich and in Senior year it was the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Hmm vaguely I am thinking maybe it was Miles Standish - no I remember we read it as our poetry read but this was something long more about the medieval - we would have been far too young for the Canterbury tales.   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18863 on: April 09, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
Must borrow Jane's clapping hands - you did it... the May selection has been chosen -Winter Garden

Time to find your copy - we gather for pre-discussion in two weeks on Monday, April 23rd.

I forgot that Alaska was Russian Alaska and we purchased the land from Russia - it came back to me that we studied that in school where as now, I bet folks take Alaska so for granted the fact that there are cities with Russian culture and Eastern Orthodox churches is not a big connection. Alaska now is about dog sledding, climbing Denali or the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

Since I ordered a used copy I do not expect to see my book in my mailbox till next week - North to Alaska go north the rush is on

bellamarie

« Reply #18864 on: April 09, 2018, 01:24:12 PM »
I just got notice the Winter Garden is now ready for me to pick up at my library!!  Yea, so happy we have chosen our book. 

Jonathan

« Reply #18865 on: April 09, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »
And I'm just on my way out to get a copy. I was happy to see you interested in it, Bellamarie. This should be fun. Besides,  I like 'garden' books. The last one I read was delightful: Mrs Whaley and Her Charleston Garden. I have it here. Perhaps I'll give it another read while we wait. Spend a few days in beautiful Charleston before heading off to Alaska. Will we be needing snowshoes and crampons?

Jonathan

« Reply #18866 on: April 09, 2018, 06:03:39 PM »
I've just opened my Charleston 'garden' book at random and am reminded of the adventure. Along came 'Hurricane Hugo and flooded  this entire end of Charleston in 1989. Saltwater three feet deep...' And Mrs Whaley finds a few lines of poetry which help her over the problem:

'Then along comes a storm with widespread destruction,/ From chaos comes the chance for bold reconstruction,/ To express a new person despite what befalls,/ With no fire of London there'd  be no St. Paul's.'

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18867 on: April 09, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
Wow thanks for the reminder of Mrs Whaley and Her Charleston Garden - need to pull it off my shelves because the poem you quoted fits my life so well just now...

thought I was going to have an event in the backyard today but another day - 6 does came ambling in early this morning and 4 will have fawns this Spring - Two of the four are well along - the one I could see the fawns leg and hip pushing on her belly - after a bit 4 of them sauntered off and the two closest to birth stayed eating grass which they do when they are reducing pain - often after a brush with a vehicle they nurse their injury in the back and they eat grass rather than their usual diet of leaves from bushes and trees. Anyhow I expected to see a birth but no so - took a nap and when I woke they were both gone - so either they will have their fawns in someone else's yard or they still have some time before they birth. This is why I hate to fence in my yard and every year I go through this emotional battle because it means I cannot have a flower or veggie garden which is like candy for the deer.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18868 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
Trying to get back in here after being away a long time. Th
The navigation is a real pain in the neck in my new device.,though!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18869 on: April 10, 2018, 03:15:52 AM »
So glad to see your post Joan - how are you - last I heard you had moved to another area of the state - have you found some spots to see birds yet? Fill us in on your new life in your new location - we would love to catch up with you. 

bellamarie

« Reply #18870 on: April 10, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
Good Morning All!!   I woke up to a thin layer of snow on the ground.  Oh how I long for warm temps.  The birds are chirping each morning, sun is shining and my crocus and hyacinths have popped through the ground.  All the signs Spring is here, except for cold temps still in the 40s, and SNOW!!  This too shall pass.....

JoanK., it is so nice to see you back, I do hope you can discuss our next book with us.

Jonathan, what a sweet way to start my day, with a poem that brings hope to the despair.  I love gardens of all types, but my flower garden in the summer brings me so much joy!  Are you still getting snow in Canada?

Barb, I can only imagine the beauty of seeing a doe give birth to her fawn in my backyard.  Living in the city the deer have gotten so brave they wander all around people's backyards.  I do have a privacy fence so that is not going to happen ever for me.

Got my book Winter Garden and I also have The Women In The Castle, which I may begin reading before we read Winter Garden.  I think I can complete it in time.

bellamarie

« Reply #18871 on: April 10, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
I am so excited!  Look what I found on my FB page today......

Kenneth Branagh is set to star in and produce Entertainment One's TV adaptation of A Gentleman in Moscow, based on the Amor Towles novel of the same name. ... Tom Harper is on board to direct the TV series, and will produce alongside Xavier Marchand of Moonriver Content.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/kenneth-branagh-to-star-produce-eones-tv-adaptation-of-a-gentleman-in-moscow-1202357404/

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18872 on: April 10, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »
I know Bellamarie - it is very chilly for us the last few days - had to put the heat on - great news that Kenneth Branagh will act the Count - I am so glad we read A Gentleman for Moscow here - I've spoken with a few others including my kid sister who read it and did not get near the connections or allegories that we saw reading this together - There were so many themes that stay with me - this is a book that I keep and will return to.

I laughed out loud - you too - I also ordered The Women In The Castle From the bit on Amazon I think this should be a fascinating understanding of people caught in horror not of their making and yet, a part of their life. Suggestion - if you watch movies on Amazon there are two but the one is great showing the story of Hannah Arendt, - it says to join some movie group but I rented it online for the $3.99 It is the one with Barbara Sukowa, who reteams with director Margarethe von Trotta - Don't know if this link will work but here it is...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00G1D5XP2/ref=atv_wtlp_wtl_0

Throwing this understanding into the pot I'm thinking it may help to explain these women - I think there are two ways to look at Hannah Arendt conclusion - one that seems horrific as if it is an excuse - but another to realize we expect the kind of courage from others and they are ordinary, with big powerful positions but then I am thinking we all overestimate power - I see so many who achieve powerful positions in our government and cannot single handed make the changes they anticipated making - it takes a group and I remember the group that tried to do away with Hitler and were not able to do it.

And so I am seeing that angle of our desire and expectation for someone to affect good when they are surrounded with evil and are expected to block evil, which may be a stretch on our part. But then we cannot let those who further evil pass - dipping into evil cannot be tolerated - and so what are we punishing? Our expectations not met, the evil, those who, even if they wanted to because they were in the system were not willing to risk their own life - maybe so, a soldier risks his life fighting the system that is steeped in evil. 

Well with so many questions I am anxious to read this book about women of the third Reich after the war for another viewpoint.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18873 on: April 11, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »
My library system has copies of Winter Garden available, and the branch I can get to, which has been closed for renovation, is reopening in two days, so I should be all set.

It was one of the two books tied for voting in my mind, so I'm pleased with the choice.

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #18874 on: April 12, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
I am back, a little battered and bruised but feeling stronger by the day.  Thank you, all of you, for finishing up The Gentleman in Moscow.  I am always going to cherish this discussion.. and the Count f0r the rest of my days.  I will order Winter Garden which I read years ago and would love to be a part of the May discussion. Thank you all fro your thoughts and good wishes. Karen

bellamarie

« Reply #18875 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
WELCOME BACK Karen!!!  I'm so glad to hear from you, and will pray for your continued recovery.  You picked a great read for us with the Count in Moscow.  That book will remain with me for a very long time, and as you can see, I posted it is going to be a TV Series!  Glad to hear you will be joining us in the Winter Garden.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18876 on: April 12, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »
HOORAY!!!

Welcome back, Karen.  We were beginning to worry about you.  Keep on getting stronger--the recuperation from such surgery must be formidable.

Jonathan

« Reply #18877 on: April 12, 2018, 02:41:14 PM »
Congratulations, Karen. We're all mightily pleased to hear from you. Imagine a beautiful  boquet of flowers arriving for you from Count Rostov.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18878 on: April 12, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »
Oh yes, Karen - how wonderful to see your post - we guessed you were moving along feeling better each day but it is so nice to hear from you letting us know you are healing. Back surgery is major and we will continue to think of you.

Frybabe

« Reply #18879 on: April 13, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
I might actually stand a chance of getting Winter Garden soon. I've put holds on both the physical book and the eBook. The book seems to be popular, but there are not nearly so many holds as for A Gentleman in Moscow.