Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Holiday Drop In Open House

<< < (36/37) > >>

bellamarie:
I've been reading a book, Because of Bethlehem, and came across this which made me think of our short story about Santa, and the evil daemons, and wanted to share:

"How much larger your life would be if your self could become smaller in it," wrote G.K. Chesterton.  "You would break out of this tiny and tawdry theater in which your own little plot is always being played, and you would find yourself under a freer sky." 

ginny:
  Oh I just lost a big post, I hate that, I'm pretty sure I can't resurrect it. Just to say I love that, Bellamarie, and I think it's a grand thought to end an old year and begin a new one. I think it's useful to think about things beyond ourselves this time of year, and we've certainly done that in this discussion.

I did not know that about the Wizard of Oz, Kristen, thank those of you who brought background here that illuminates the story. It really does open up lots of new ideas, which is perfect for our purposes.

It's amazing what  one  can see in a story. For instance  I am still reading (very slowly) Bleak House,  and I was stunned last night to see that the commentary for Chapter 13  reveals that many of Dickens's magisterial lines are Biblical in origin, it's  absolutely full of them. It's not a religious section yet it's almost verbatim line after line. It's lovely to read a good provocative story or book in a good thoughtful book club, because that also  brings out so many elements  one might never have seen. I know Adoannie is yet to come in, so if anybody has any more comments, feel free to express them.

I really think you've all done this one proud and it's a wonderful way to end our 20th year in book clubs and book club discussions. As the year closes I find myself thinking of our DL's  who have passed away over this  long period:  Ella, Pat Westerdale, Maryal (Deems), Éloïse De Pelteau, Joan Grimes, Theron  Boyd, Babi, Gumtree, Lorrie,  FairAnna, Charlie Wendell,  and  L J Kline.  I hope I didn't leave anybody out?

Auld Lang Syne

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne?

CHORUS:
    For auld lang syne, my dear,
    for auld lang syne,
    we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
    for auld lang syne.

Song always makes me cry,  but it shouldn't, especially in the case of these people who individually and collectively added so much to the last 20 years here. So here's a cup of kindness   to them,  and to those of you  still here who have labored so generously, selflessly and tirelessly  all these years to bring cordial, intelligent, meaningful,  and insightful book club discussions online.  We've made a difference in many people's lives in the last 20 years. Thank you.

bellamarie:
Oh Ginny what a perfect way to end this discussion, celebration of our twenty years, and tribute to our dear members we have lost along the way.  They are gone, but never forgotten.  Thank you, and all our members who make our book club discussions interesting, fun, insightful, and filled with knowledge.  I look forward to our next book, Cranford.

May you all have a Happy, Healthy New Year!  🍾🍷

BarbStAubrey:
Nostalgia - the web site Charles kept until he passed - https://chazzw.wordpress.com/

ginny:
Thank you,  Barbara,  for remembering  Charlie,  and for putting in his beautiful blog page, I am glad it's still up. What a mind he had.  My best friend's husband just died of the same thing Charlie had and I had used Charlie's example to encourage them as long as it could. I hate I left his name off.

Thank you, Bellamarie, and a Happy New Year to all of you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version