Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 418754 times)

Frybabe

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1080 on: July 02, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stopped into the used bookstore this morning hoping to find an interesting biography to read. I only came out with Micheal Grant's Readings in the Classical Historians. I did look at a bio of Adrienne de Lafayette, wife of the Marquis de Lafayette that looked interesting, but I didn't pick it up. I wanted to look her up first. I think I will go back for it tomorrow.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1081 on: July 03, 2010, 08:03:36 AM »
I picked up Anthony Bourdain's new book Medium  Raw at Barnes and Noble yesterday, made the mistake of looking at the first page and was hooked, actually sat down and read a couple of chapters:  he's SUCH a good writer and takes you right into the world of haute cuisine,  and a professional chef in a heartbeat. This one apparently also hits on the celebrity TV chefs and tells us more than we want to know about  why not to get the waiter or chef angry at you: squeamish alert.

USA  Today says: "The kind of book you read in one sitting, then rush about annoying your co workers by declaiming whole passages. Bourdain captures the world of restaurants and professionally cooked food in all its theatrical, demented glory."

I actually don't like the man, nor his TV program, nor his first book but apparently he's mellowed with age and a family: you can't stop reading his book,  it's really quite good, so far.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Babi

« Reply #1082 on: July 03, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »
 I'd like to hear more about the "Readings in the Classical Historians", FRYBABE.  Is it a collection
of excerpts?  Which classical historians?  Please let me know what you think of it...interesting or
dry?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #1083 on: July 03, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
Babi, Readings is a selection of translated writings from 22 classical historians (I counted them) up through the late Roman Empire. Grant made the selections and wrote introductions. A few are from his own translations. The list: Hecataeus and Hellanicus, Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius, Julius Caesar, Nepos, Diodorus Siculus, Sallust, Livy, Dionysius of Halicarnassus, Velleius Paterculus, Josephus, St. Luke, Plutarch, Tacitus, Seutonius, Appian, Arrian, Dio Cassius, Eusebius, and Ammianus Marcellinus. No doubt some of these we have run across in Latin lessons. As for Livy, Caesar, and Tacitus, I have them, and had read Plutarch's Lives long ago. I won't know until I get into it if any of those are new material to me.

Michael Grant wrote a tremendous number of books covering, it looks like, the span of ancient Greek history up to the beginnings of the Middle Ages. He also, like this one, edited or revised about a half dozen books and  translated about the same number of books. It is a real wonder to me how I never managed to acquire any of his books, except for this and his translation of Tacitus: The Annals of Rome. Anyone interested in his titles, Wikipedia has a large list, but very little on the man himself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Grant_%28author%29
I really need to check into his title Sick Caesars and his autobiography.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1084 on: July 03, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
I'm in my glory! I've just contracted to present six 90min presentations on history of women in the U.S. It will be at a Quaker sponsored senior community nearby. A retired num who went to live at the community 13 yrs ago felt they needed more intellectual stimulation so she suggested that they start a "university" and she organized  - w/ a committe, of course, it is Quaker-based after all........ ;) - a full year of schedule of programs, lectures, seminars etc. for the residents of the community and it continues today.

I had gone to an Elderhostel/Expoitas/Road Scholars (i understand that's their new name) program in Apr at their facility and thru the weeks i heard sevl of the attendees say they didn't know much women's history, so I gave the organizer a proposal for the presentations, just for the community, not for Elderhostel. That's when i learned about their local "university."

It's not  until next April, but my favorite part of teaching is researching, so i've already begun to research my sources. So far i know i will be using History of Women in America by Hymowitz and Weissman. It's a wonderful survey history which was published in 1978, but stilll holds up. I'm also rereading Cokie Roberts Founding Mothers and I'm using The Reader's Companion to U.S. Women's History which was publsd in 1998 and has 100's of contributors about every aspect of women's history. My children gave it to me on Mother's Day and i've just begun to ease my way into its 650 pages. I will be trying to include much about NJ and Quaker women since i think many of the participants will enjoy that, so i have to go back in my files and dig out some speeches/lectures i have given in the past..................can you tell i am in high clover??? (good ole farmer's term from my Father's lips) .................. i'm sure you will hear more about it from me come next April...............lol ..........jean

CallieOK

« Reply #1085 on: July 03, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
Congratulations, Jean.   Sounds like a busy, fun year ahead - just the sort of thing I'd love to do ('specially the research) but I don't know if I could manage an entire series.

I was recently asked to do my "Land Run Lady" Historical Interpretation character at a local Book Club next May.  The program chairman is a good friend and I told her I'd love to - assuming I'm still buying green bananas by then.  :D

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1086 on: July 03, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
mabel1015j, how exciting that you will be offering a series of lectures on the history of women. If you want to try out any of your material, I'm sure that some of us would love to be your "test subjects."  ;) I, for one, would love to learn more about this topic. Quite a few people like to research topics on the web and I'll bet some of us would help you if you want any help with that too.

Callie, I'd love to see your "Land Run Lady"!

CallieOK

« Reply #1087 on: July 03, 2010, 09:34:46 PM »
Good suggestion, Marcie.  I'd be willing to be a "test subject" and/or try to do some research.

I enjoyed writing the fictional "Miz Callie Johnston".  For some of the stories she tells I used information from letters and diaries of real "89'ers", as we call people who settled in this area in the Land Run of 1889.  I discovered that one of my references was an ancestor of a neighbor!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1088 on: July 03, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »
jean, where is your program, and what dates?  I'd love to come!!!!  Is it going to be listed in the Roads Scholar program?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1089 on: July 04, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
Callie, do you read the Miz Callie stories that you wrote from your research and/ or perform them?

Babi

« Reply #1090 on: July 04, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »
Oh, my, FRYBABE, I didn't mean to put you to all that trouble. But having seen your list of
historians I am very interested in reading the book. There is nothing like reading the words
of the people who were there! Thank you so much.

JEAN, how exciting! 90-min. presentations?! You have a lot of serious work ahead of you.
Don't forget to include break time.   ;)  I wonder whether our senior center would get a good
response to a program of lectures and seminars. We seem to run more to games and crafts. The Quakers have always been a very socially responsible group, haven't they? Enjoy!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

CallieOK

« Reply #1091 on: July 04, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »
Marcie, I "perform" Miz Callie in first person from a script that I wrote and I wear a pioneer dress and sunbonnet.   The beginning and the ending are the same.  In between, there are various "stories" I can either use or omit - depending on the age of the group to whom I'm talking and the time limitation for the performance.

This type of performance is considered a Living History Interpretation instead of a Living History Reenactment because my character is fictional.  I made her up and wrote the script years ago when I was a volunteer for the local historical society/museum and did classroom presentations.

I must admit that doing the research and writing the script was as much - maybe more - fun than "performing". I am NOT a professional - or an actress - by any stretch of the imagination and Miz Callie is just something I occasionally do for fun - mostly for local clubs needing a program and, sometimes, for a classroom presentation. 
I have to watch carefully so I don't slip out of first person - 'specially when I'm talking to kids and they ask questions that have to be answered as if it's 1889 and I obviously wouldn't know about modern things - like cars.  I had to think fast when a boy asked, "How did you get here (the school) today?"  :D

mabel1015j

« Reply #1092 on: July 04, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
Thanks for all the offers to help w/ the women's history program. I'd love to "test" it on here, but am not sure how that would work. In terms of helping w/ research, my problem is not going to be finding material, i have most of the material i need for content, in fact, the problem is going to be deciding what to eliminate. 540 minutes sounds like a lot of time, but it really isn't when you think about all the possible events and women through U.S. history - 3 centuries!!! I've already decided i can't do much more than a superficial skim about Native American women and will concentrate on the social and political power they had in the tribes, as opposed to the legal non-entity that was European women's plight. The Clan Mothers of the Iroquois Confederacy had much to say about who would be chief, when they would go to war, imput into peace treaties, etc. In fact, women were a part of the Confederacy discussion about which side they would fight for in the American Revolution!!! ..............And the Europeans considered them "uncivilized"??? .............. What would you like to know about Native American and colonial women? Maybe that's a way you can help me decide what to put in and what to leave out............jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1093 on: July 04, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »
Callie, how interesting. I haven't witnessed a living history interpretation before. It's wonderful that you've been able to create and perform that character for various audiences.

Mabel1015j, you're right that there must be a great deal of material that could be included in your presentation. I don't envy you the task of deciding what you'll include. I'll think about it a bit to see what I would like to learn about Native American and Colonial women.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1094 on: July 04, 2010, 06:56:40 PM »
Jean - where are you going to give this program?  Aren't you in North Carolina?  Is it going to be in the fall? 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1095 on: July 04, 2010, 06:56:57 PM »
JEAN, THAT SOUNDS WONDERFUL FOR YOU!   I know how much you like the subject and I know you will do well!  For some odd reason that I can't explain to myself, native Americans and their history, women, men, chiefs, wars, etc.  have never been of interest to me.   I know the tribes fought each other long before the Europeans came and, like all humans that live together, they had communities in which children and women were taken care of which has always been true, don't you think?  It only stands to reason that women were respected as we are the future, the mothers of all who come after. 

CALLIE
, that's very interesting to hear about also!  What talents we have on our site, hidden talents, and all because we love learning, we love books.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1096 on: July 04, 2010, 07:11:17 PM »
Mary - not NC, but NJ, just outside of Philadelphia. It won't be a Roads Scholar course, but any one who's interested can come. However, it's one day a week for 6 wks, a different kind of schedule than a Roads Scholar course usually is. .............

Callie - i'm sure you've had a good time doing interpretation. Is the character a frontier woman?...............jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1097 on: July 04, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
Well, phooey, jean - I surely would love to sit in on your program.  Oh, well.....   :'(

CallieOK

« Reply #1098 on: July 04, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »
Jean, I would love to be there for each one of your presentations.  I've been to 9 Elderhostels (including a different intergenerational one with each of my three grandchildren) and I enjoyed each one so much. 
However, I'm not at all familiar with the new name/program.  Is it like the former Elderhostel?

I consider "Miz Callie" a Pioneer Woman but I suppose you could call her "Frontier" - although that makes me think of someone who wore buckskin and went hunting with a rifle.  She and her family participated in the Land Run that settled part of Oklahoma Territory in 1889 and became Homesteaders by staking a claim to and settling 160 acres of land.  The movie "Far and Away" with Tom Cruise was about the 1889 Run - as was the Edna Ferber novel,  "Cimarron".

You mentioned Native American women.  Will you be researching women from Eastern USA tribes or would you be interested in some from the so-called Five Civilized Tribes who were "removed" from their homes in the southeast to what became eastern Oklahoma? 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1099 on: July 05, 2010, 11:10:54 AM »
CALLIE AND JEAN;   I've been going to Elderhostels for years, up until my husband died.  I tried one after that but it was too lonely and so I have given it up.  They changed the name to some awful thing like EXPOSITAS, but I notice that it is called - look:

Road Scholar is the new
program name for Elderhostel, Inc.

and here is the site:

http://www.roadscholar.org/programs/usa.asp

JEAN, when I read your post about a Road Scholar course I had no idea what you were talking about until I looked at the Elderhostel site.  THOSE FOLKS SHOULD NOT HAVE TRIED TO FOOL AROUND WITH SOMETHING WE ALL KNEW VERY WELL.  Of course, they were trying to interest younger folk who did not want to be associated with "elders" - I learned that when my daughter (who probably was in her late 30's at the time) went with me to Rome on an Elderhostel trip.  She said don't ask me to go again, hahahaaa    But when we went off by ourselves for a few days to Venice what a fun time we had.

ROAD SCHOLAR is better than Espositas was!

CallieOK

« Reply #1100 on: July 05, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
Ella, thanks for the information about Elderhostel/Roads Scholar.  Because I must now wear ankle braces for a condition that surgery will not help, my travel days are over.

I regret this but I think tours and programs of this sort no longer consider those of us who are unable to "keep up" (by their definition).

Not being able to do Everything (like walk for hours and hours) does NOT mean we can't do Anything.

Oh...don't get me started on THIS soapbox!!!!  >:(

OMT (One More Thing):  I just checked the Roads Scholar "Programs For Women Only".  Out of 14 different choices,  6 mentioned Trekking, Hiking, Canoeing, Golfing, Rock and Roll or By Foot in the title and one was in Africa, which would probably be more of the same.  
Point made!  :(

OMT OMT  :D  In all fairness, I checked out the "Activity Level One" offerings.  There are quite a few in Baltimore Maryland that do look interesting.   ...now if something could be done about difficulties with flying.

Callie Curmudgeonette is off to find something useful to do  ;D

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1101 on: July 07, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
I'll step up on the soapbox a moment also, Callie.  I am limited as to what I can do; mine is due to arthritis, age, etc. etc.  I had surgery on an ankle last winter but fortunately it is functioning well, although on certain days I still have pain in it.   I haven't even looked at the Road Scholar programs for a couple of years but they have my email and I just got one from them yesterday about a tall ship adventure to Costa Rica.

Adventures!  Some of those are not doable, but we can read about them!  We are starting a f2f book club in my condo neighborhood, I don't know whether it will take off or not.  But I saw WEST WITH THE NIGHT, Beryl Markham's wonderful book at the Library and thought I would take it with me to suggest we discuss it sometime soon.  One of those best books.......

CallieOK

« Reply #1102 on: July 07, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
Ella,  I suspect there are many of us in the same situation.
I enjoy reading about places I've been - and would have loved going.  I also enjoy seeing a location in a movie or on t v for which I can say, "I've been there!".

I have just joined an informal book club that exchanges books monthly and meets just once a year.  A small committee takes suggestions and purchases 11 books (no exchange in December), then divides the total cost among the members.  There is a mix of fiction and non-fiction.
 Between the first and 5th of each month, we are responsible for passing the book we've had to the next member on the list.  I have no idea how the rotation schedule was devised but it looks simple to follow.
I just received the first book - "The Postmistress" by Sara Blake. 
I'm looking forward to a year of interesting reading.

Mippy

« Reply #1103 on: July 07, 2010, 04:18:12 PM »
The Postmistress by Sara Blake was quite an interesting book, too much sadness to say it was enjoyable, but definitely worthwhile!   I finished it last week.

I won't go into details, since the reviews on Amazon are better than what I could write.
By the way, I thought it was fiction; should we be discussing it in the Library?

Do post, if you want to, after you read it, Callie!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1104 on: July 07, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
Callie and Jean: how wonderful your programs sound. I do hope you can share some of your material with us!

Jean: I have the first two sources you mentioned, but am not familiar with the third. Perhaps you can continue to share your bibliography with us. I did my dissertation on the effect of new technology on women in the workplace, and am still interested in thetopic, although I have not kept up with research since I retired.

CallieOK

« Reply #1105 on: July 07, 2010, 06:22:06 PM »
Mippy - yes, indeed, fiction should be discussed elsewhere.  I just mentioned "The Postmistress" in connection with my "tale" of the book club.

I haven't read any non-fiction in a while.  May look for a good Biography soon.

Babi

« Reply #1106 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:25 AM »
 That's an interesting idea, CALLIE.  An opportunity to share 11 books for the price of one
and be sure of having something coming in to read at least once a month.  Of course, there's
likely to be one or two you don't care for, but also a chance of finding a new author you love.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1107 on: July 13, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »
Joan - your dissertation sounds interesting, what was the time frame you were writing about?

For my w's history presentation, I'm also using a little book that the Alice Paul Institute helped to put together and publish ( I was a founding board mbr of API) titled New Jersey Women's Heritage Trail which gives a page to each women's history site in NJ. I mention it because many states have done this and there may be such a book available in your state. We did it in conjuction w/ the NJ Historic Preservation Office.

Our library has an exhibit of books that are related to Independence Day and i saw David McCullough's book 1776 which i had never read, so i got it. I'm now into the revolutionary period in compiling my women's history presentation and knowing DMc I'm sure he has things to add about women of the time. This is going to be the section that will be most difficult to pare down. There are so many wonderful sources and so many wonderful women of the time.

Just in case you are interested, the "cast of characters" for the colonial period are Margaret Brent: a plantation owner in Maryland who acted as business agent for her brothers, going to court to collect payments on average of 17x a yr between 1642 & 1650 and usually winning. She was also the executor for Lord Calvert's will and had power of atty for Lord Baltimore who was in London. The lack of bar associations and medical associations, etc. allowed people who were capable to act in those professions regardless of gender. Women had quite a lot of independence during the colonial period which got restricted when we move into the 19th century.

Deborah Franklin, Ben's lonely wife who ran his businesses for the decades he was in England and France doing the country's business - and some of his own. She ran the printing shop, the sundries shop and the colony's postal service, expanding it w/ sev'l franchises, as well as hosting visitors who came by to talk about BF.

Elizabeth Haddon Estuagh, whose Quaker father, living in England,  bought a lrg piece of land in South Jersey in 1700, but became ill and couldn't come to develop it himself, so he sent Eliz who celebrated her 20th b-day on the ship. She and a servant came alone to the wilderness. Can you imagine sending your 20 yr old dgt, today, to a place where there have been stories of Indian massacres, people living in caves, having no clue of what it is really like in "new Jersey"? He gave her power of atty. Quakers believed that all should be able to read and interpret the Bible, so they educated both boys and girls, therefore she had the capability to act in her father's place. She established a homestead in Haddon's Field, which became Haddonfield, NJ, gave land for the Friend's Mtg House and School, was expert at herbs and healing, some of it learned from the Lenni Lenape Indians of the area, was the "women's clerk" of the Meeting for 50 yrs and proposed to a Quaker minister who seemed too shy to propose to her. She was also alone often when he went off on missionary trips and managed the family businesses quite well.

Patience Lovell Wrightwas the first professional sculptor in the colonies. She and her sisters made wax figures and busts. They had lrg exhibits. After a fire in her studio in Bordentown, NJ, she took her 5 children (she was widowed) and moved to London where she did wax sculptures of the king and queen. She became a self-apptd spy, listening to conversations of Londoners and sending info to Geo Washington.

That's my first group of characters and of course i add a lot of gen'l info about women of the time......most of which is about ENDLESS work, producing things: bread, cloth, candles, butter, clothing, diapers, preserving foodstuffs, etc. .....thank goodness i was born in 1941....jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1108 on: July 13, 2010, 11:34:05 PM »
Thanks very much, Jean, for keeping us informed about your project. Those highlights about independent women in the colonial period are very interesting.

Are you familiar with the writing of Laurel Thatcher Ulrich? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Thatcher_Ulrich and http://dohistory.org/

Babi

« Reply #1109 on: July 14, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
 I now have a copy of Michael Grant's "Readings From Classical Historians", which someone here recommended.  My thanks. I did a
quick scan when it arrived yesterday and found it will be most readable.
In addition, the author has provided a time-line for reference, as well
as a map of the Graeco-Roman world in the classical period.  This is
a book I will be reading slowly, historian by historian.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1110 on: July 14, 2010, 01:47:04 PM »
Yes, Marcie, i do know Ulrich's books, thanks for mentioning them and providing the link.

I met Ulrich about 2 yrs ago when she spoke at a Women's Way (Phila's fund-raising organization for women's org's - similar to United Way) honoring her for the best book written on women's history that year. We had a nice chat and she signed my copy of "Well-Behaved Women..." She was an excellent speaker.

I don't think i knew she was a Mormon. It sounds as tho she has been shunned by them recently. It reminds me of Sonia Johnson of the 70's and 80's. She was an active Mormon who was excommunicated for her work on the ERA. The Alice Paul foundation honored her at our first dinner giving the Alice Paul Equality Awards, in 1985, along w/ Sally Ride and Judge Lisa Richette, who made the descision  that "stewardesses"  did not have to resign at age 35, or have weight requirements - remember those days? .............well, at least most of the country has come into the 21st century!?! ...........jean

serenesheila

« Reply #1111 on: July 14, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »
I watched C-Span 2's book notes over last weekend.  I was especially impressed with the interviews with both Robert Dallek, and Michael Beschloss.  They impressed me enough to buy each of the books featured.  Dallek's is:  "Nixon and Kissinger".  I have begun reading it, and am finding it very interesting.

Beschloss's book is:  "Truman and McArthur".  The interviews with these two historians were most interesting.  I was a young teenager when Truman fired McArthur.  I enjoy reading both of these authors. 

Sheila

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1112 on: July 15, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
Jean, it sounds like you are really keeping up in the field of women's history and have met some influential people. Your course should be very enlightening for those lucky enough to enroll.

marjifay

« Reply #1113 on: July 16, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
Thanks, Shelia, for mentioning the books by Dallek and Beschloss.  BookTV is one of my favorite programs, but I missed
that one.  Truman is one of my favorite presidents.  I'm planning to visit the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, California, with a friend at the end of this month.  Neither of us have been there, even tho' I live very close to it.  I disliked Nixon so much I could never manage to go there.  But I've mellowed over the years, and decided I really should see it.  I've often thought it would be interesting to visit all or a good many of the presidential libraries across the U.S.  A most beautiful one here in Southern California is the Reagan Library which I've visited several times. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1114 on: July 16, 2010, 07:08:51 PM »
Our first bookclub meeting (in our condo neighborhood) was held yesterday; eight of us.  A good number as it gave everyone a chance to talk.  Our book was LA'S ORCHESTRA SAVES THE WORLD by Alexander McCall Smith, a WWII fiction, and I won't know if it was a success until next month when someone - hopefully the same eight people- come again.  I suggested the book for next month.  Summary:

"When Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, Abdulrahman Zeitoun, a prosperous Syrian-American and father of four, chose to stay through the storm to protect his house and contracting business. In the days after the storm, he traveled the flooded streets in a secondhand canoe, passing on supplies and helping those he could. A week later, on September 6, 2005, Zeitoun abruptly disappeared. Eggers’s riveting nonfiction book, three years in the making, explores Zeitoun’s roots in Syria, his marriage to Kathy — an American who converted to Islam — and their children, and the surreal atmosphere (in New Orleans and the United States generally) in which what happened to Abdulrahman Zeitoun was possible. Like What Is the What, Zeitoun was written in close collaboration with its subjects and involved vast research — in this case, in the United States, Spain, and Syria." - Synopsis, B&N

The title is the name of an Arab male who has lived in NEw Orleans for several years, ha a family, and a successful business, and, yet, when the hurricane strikes it is every man/woman for themselves when the U.S. Government finally comes into the city.

It's a very good book, but I think the author should have come up with a better name.  There were such blank expressions on my neighbors/friends when I proposed the book. 

Has anyone read it?

marjifay

« Reply #1115 on: July 16, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
Ella asked, "Has anyone read it?"

Has anyone read what, Ella?  I'm confused.  The book your F2F group read by Alexander McCall Smith has nothing to
do with Hurrican Katrina, at least according to Amazon.com's review??

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1116 on: July 17, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
Oh, Gosh, MARJ!

That last post that I made was very bewildering.  Sorry!

The proposed book for next month is ZEITOUN by Timothy Eggers.  I did quote the summary correctly, just left out the title!  Good book!

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeitoun-Vintage-Dave-Eggers/dp/0307387941/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279400556&sr=1-1

marjifay

« Reply #1117 on: July 17, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
Aha, Ella, now that makes sense (LOL).  No, I haven't read it, but it sounds interesting.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1118 on: July 19, 2010, 04:44:18 PM »
Jean: don't forget one of my favorite women of the Colonial period (or rather, just after the revolution), Elizabeth Freeman. She was a slave in Massachusetts, who had been mistreated by her mistress. After the Revolution, before the national constitution was written, each state had to write its own constitution. John Adams helped write the Massachusetts constitution, which started "All Men are Born free." Freeman heard the white people talking about this while waiting at table, and asked a lawyer to file a suit for her (and another slave) claiming that if she was born free, it was illegal to hold her as a slave.

The court agreed, and this secured not only her freedom, but the making of slavery unconstitutional in Massachusetts, the first state to do so.

References :"Founding Mothers, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part2/2p39.html

mabel1015j

« Reply #1119 on: July 19, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »
Thanks for that reminder Joan, i'll mention her in the "Federalist period". And thanks for the link........jean