Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 553746 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1200 on: January 03, 2011, 01:18:27 AM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Robert Wagner!! Has aged very well! Cary Grant aged very well. Newman, wagner, Grant, all gave us, in their movie roles, at least, a man with a sense of humor. That makes them attractive to me, besides how they look.  I guess Clooney has done that too, but, ironically, one of the rhings that has turned me off of GC, in real life - on talk shows and interviews- he makes a joke abt EVERYTHING, it makes me feel like he's hiding himself behind the humor. However, everyone who has worked with him has said he's very nice - that's attractive too!

Oh! Yeah! Clooney's father has aged well, also! ......yeah, george is a little too young to talk abt how he has "aged".    :)

Dick Van Dyck? Ozzie Davis?...........jean  

jeriron

« Reply #1201 on: January 03, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »
My crush is Richard Gere.  I will watch any movie he is in just for him. The grayer his hair gets the sexier he is...at least for me.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1202 on: January 03, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
I loved the ones we no longer have:  Yul Brynner!  Charlton Heston!
jeriron, we shall have a duel over who gets Richard Gere!  I am still madly in love with Sean Connery, even though he hasn't aged well!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1203 on: January 03, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
Sam Waterston is still here.  He's a good guy.  Is he acting in anything or just doing commercials?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1204 on: January 03, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »
Sam Waterston was still on the original Law & Order, but I think that's over now.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

salan

« Reply #1205 on: January 03, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »
Oh, did anyone mention Tom Selleck??  Yumm!
Sally

roshanarose

« Reply #1206 on: January 03, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
I like Willem Dafoe too, Gum.  He was extraordinary in "The Last Temptation of Christ".  It is a movie that I shall never forget.  It was banned here for several years as it was considered "blasphemous", but you could borrow it in Indie video stores.  Dan Brown reinvented the theme in "The Da Vinci Code"and no one even blinked.  Times change.  

Ralph Fiennes - Sexy and can act too  :o

Some bad news today about another wonderful actor.  Pete Postlethwaite died on 2/1/11 of cancer.  A great loss to the acting world.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Frybabe

« Reply #1207 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
I remember Pete P. from The Usual Suspects and The Shipping News. I see he was in Inception, too. Haven't seen it yet. He played some interesting characters.

Frybabe

« Reply #1208 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
Just discovered that Anne Francis has passed away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/04/arts/04francis.html

Babi

« Reply #1209 on: January 05, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
 I haven't heard of Anne Francis in so long I had supposed she was already gone.
  In reading the list of your taste in males, it is clear that opinion is still
divided between dark or blond, rugged or classic.  Naturally.  Actually, I
like Clooney better now that he is older and not quite so, er, sleek.
Needless to say, people who are too 'pretty' know it, and tend to take
advantage of it.  I approach with caution.  ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #1210 on: January 05, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »
Love Tom Selleck in his new series, "Blue Bloods".  Also, the one where is a Sheriff in a small N.E. town (why can't I remember names/titles like that?) Darn.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #1211 on: January 05, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
Jesse Stone. Yes, I liked those. Too bad they didn't make a series based on that character. I don't watch Blue Bloods. Too many big city cops and CSI stories on already.

BTW, did you hear that the original Law and Order is ending? I haven't watched it in several years.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1212 on: January 05, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »
I definitely prefer dark, craggy, and not too pretty or baby-faced.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1213 on: January 05, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
My forty yr old dgt fell in love w/ Sean Connery abt 10 yrs ago, I was surprised. .......Oh, Yes! Yul Brynner, so exotic, so unique, so sexy! I think he was my all-time favorite sexy guy.......altho Tom Selleck got my attention right away as the Salem man.........blondes, other than Paul Newman never impressed me....maybe they looked too slick.... ;D........jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #1214 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
In my early, early teenage years, I fell in love with Troy DOnohue and Tab Hunter!  Grew out of blondes fairly soon after!

Yul Brynner, you got it right, exotic.  Et cetera, et cetera!

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #1215 on: January 05, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »
Buzz Lightyear is a hero in my eyes.  That jaw!  That chest!  That immortality!  That disposability!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

MaryPage

« Reply #1216 on: January 05, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »
My fav was, is, and always will be Leslie Howard.  Paul Newman comes in second.  Howard was dead when I married The Love Of My Life, but I told Bob right up front that if Newman ever crooked his little finger and beckoned to me, I was gone!

Bob allowed as how he would take his chances, and so we were wed and lived happily ever after.  Never even encountered Paul Newman.  Sigh!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1217 on: January 06, 2011, 03:11:49 AM »
Oh yes, Roshanarose!  Disposability - such an asset  :) - and much more fun than Woody - also dimmer, so easier to manage  :D

I always thought Nigel in the Archers would be a good bet - rich, nice and worshipped the ground that the dreadful Elizabeth walked on - but the wretched writer has just killed him off, purely, IMO, to get good 60th anniversary ratings.  Do any of you get The Archers?

R

roshanarose

« Reply #1218 on: January 06, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
Hi Rosemarykaye - I hope that you are well and that the ice and snow are not inhibiting you too much.

I have never heard of "The Archers".

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1219 on: January 06, 2011, 05:52:22 PM »
Oh my goodness, Roshanarose!  The Archers is a serial that has been on BBC Radio 4 every day except Saturdays since  before I was born.  It centres on the Archer family, who are farmers in the fictional village of Ambridge in "Borsetshire".  There is a huge cast of other characters.  The series was originally conceived to pass agricultural information on to farmers after the war ("an everyday story of country folk") - last week, on the 60th anniversary, there was a whole day of particularly iconic episodes on BBC7, together with interviews with some of the longest standing members of the cast, and it was interesting to note how much less didactic the programmes have become.  Some of the old episodes are famous - most especially the one in which Grace Died - Grace was the new and lovely young wife of Phil Archer, and she died going back into a burning stables to rescue her horses (who escaped).  It is widely believed that this episode was written to coincide with the first night of ITV (the first UK commercial TV station) in the 1950s.

The Archers has a huge following, several fan clubs, a section on the BBC website, etc etc.  One of my earliest memories is of sitting in the Belfast sink in our old kitchen listening to the theme tune - tum tee tum tee tum tee tum - whilst being bathed by my mother;  I must have been about 2.  The evening episode still starts at 7pm, with a repeat at 2pm the next day, and a weekly omnibus on Sunday mornings - these days of course you can also catch up via the website.

And yes, to change the subject, our weather is dire - no snow at the moment, tg, but sheet ice everywhere, roads and pavements lethal.  Thankfully i do not have to go anywhere apart from John Lewis's tomorrow - no driving for me.

Best wishes

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #1220 on: January 06, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
Mmmmm>  I wonder how I missed out on hearing about "The Archers".  My early memories of radio include listening to the eternal "Blue Hills" (which was Australian) and the "American Hit Parade" and there was also "Portia Faces Life" and "Dossier on Demetrius".  I remember also being intrigued by Oral Roberts.

Gumtree

« Reply #1221 on: January 07, 2011, 03:16:31 AM »
Roshanarose I just picked this us from google but lost the reference

ABC Radio is credited with the longest-running daily serial, Blue Hills, written by Gwen Meredith. Blue Hills began in 1948, taking over from The Lawsons (1944-48), a serial by the same author. Blue Hills contained some of the most successful characters from The Lawsons and ran until 1976. In all, 5795 episodes of Blue Hills were produced.

I wonder if anyone actually heard all 5795 episodes.

Rosemary I'm sure the Archers were played on our radio - probably not all but some.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

marjifay

« Reply #1222 on: January 07, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »
Saw the new Coen Bros. TRUE GRIT film with Jeff Bridges last night in the theater.  We all came away with the same feeling:  We preferred the John Wayne film (and I am not a John Wayne fan).  While the acting was good in the new version, we did not think it was better than the older film.  And we all had a very difficult time understanding the garbled slurred language spoken by Jeff Bridges as "Rooster" Cogburn.  I would not recommend the Coen Bros. film.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #1223 on: January 07, 2011, 09:50:02 AM »
Buzz Lightyear is a hero in my eyes.  That jaw!  That chest!  That immortality!  That disposability!
ROSHANAROSE!  LOL!!

Sorry to hear that critique on the new 'True Grit', MARJ.  I've been looking forward to seeing it.  Actually, tho', since I rely on closed captioning anyway, the slurring shouldn't bother me at all.  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #1224 on: January 07, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
Yes, Babi, subtitles would have been very helpful for the new True Grit. And the movie seemed a bit slow until about half way thru, when it picked up.  Because of that and the problem understanding what they were saying, I'd have walked out if I had been there by myself.  I'll be interested in what you and others have to say about it.  It has gotten great reviews at IMDB, but I wonder if a lot of those were by younger people who never saw the John Wayne version.

(I had not been to a theater to see a movie in a long time.  Couldn't believe the matinee prices -- $8.50.  I was expecting $4.50 or $5.00.  Surprise, surprise.  I think it's about $10 or more for an evening show.  Back to Netflix, LOL)

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1225 on: January 07, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
Marjifay, thanks for the True Grit critique.  I’ve seen neither version, and have about 200 titles  on my Netflix queue that I’d watch before viewing them.  So guess it'll be a while.

I understand what you’re saying about theater prices, but I seldom go because I need the subtitles or captions.  But I love to wander through BestBuy and think how neat it would be to have one of those big big screens on the free wall in my dining room and make it a dining/media room.  I’ve already downsized to a smaller table.   :D

Have y ou all been watching the stuff coming out of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas?  My brother used to go every year just to look and also meet his sons there, but is skipping it this year.  It looks like tablets are ruling the day, and some neat things are happening with TV also.  It sure looks like everything is going at WARP speed.  How does one keep up?

Frybabe

« Reply #1226 on: January 07, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »
I saw somewhere, might have even been here, that the author prefers this new True Grit movie because it is closer to the book. If I recall, he wasn't fond of John Wayne. The new movie sounds more, shall we say, nasty?

marjifay

« Reply #1227 on: January 07, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
Pedln said, "Have you all been watching the stuff coming out of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas?  My brother used to go every year just to look and also meet his sons there, but is skipping it this year.  It looks like tablets are ruling the day, and some neat things are happening with TV also.  It sure looks like everything is going at WARP speed.  How does one keep up?"

I don't keep up.  I have enough trouble figuring out how to use my telephone's recorded messages thingamagig, and it's just an ordinary cordless line phone.  I admire people who can figure that stuff out.  Thank goodness my son is a genius when it comes to computers.  I got a 6% score on a mechanical aptitude test when I was young, and I don't think I've changed much.

Marj

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1228 on: January 07, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
Oh yes Marj - I have just had the usual cooking experience of not being able to match the right sized lids to my saucepans - and I've had them at least 10 years  :(

That is how techincal I am.

R

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1229 on: January 07, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
Marj - I forgot to say - I was supposed to be taking Madeleine to the cinema this afternoon to see the new Narnia film - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  When I looked up the times they had taken off the "normal" ie 2D version, and left us with only the 3D edition - the price for the two of us to go mid-afternoon would have been over £15  (it was not being shown by our local independent, so this was one of the chain cinemas).

Madeleine, being my third and a very reasonable child, said we should not spend that amount of  money but should instead wait for the library to get the DVD - so we went to the library instead and borrowed the DVD of Ballet Shoes (BBC 2008 production, Emma Watson, Victoria Wood) plus some books.

I don't know how people face taking their entire families to peak time showings (the afternoon is supposed to be the cheap time).

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #1230 on: January 07, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »
Awfully expensive, Rosemary.  You have a very sensible daughter.  I guess families do what you did and borrow the movie from the library.  (Usually beats having people sitting behind you and having to listen to them crunch popcorn and talk.)  I guess that when it's a movie we feel we must see on the big screen, we should wait until we hear reviews from persons or media that we trust.  Altho' that doesn't always work, as I found out with True Grit.

Marj

mabel1015j

« Reply #1231 on: January 08, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »
Marj - i remember saying before getting our first cd player that was only going to get it if they promised me that nothing newer was coming out in the next two yrs!!! Now i'd have to say inthe next six months!....whew! Things are just flying by..........jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1232 on: January 08, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »
I told my 14-year-old grandson I didn’t know what all the different I-things were – touch, phone, pod, etc. so he tried to sort it all out for me.

There are several types of I-Pods

I-Pod Classic is the oldest one with lots of storage
I-Pod Nano is smaller than the Classic, but with less storage
I-Pod Shuffle is the smallest I-Pod, without a screen, it just shuffles through your songs
I-Pod Touch is the newest I-Pod, with a touch screen, internet (via Wi-Fi), camera, and gaming
I-Phone is an I-Pod Touch, with a phone built in, and has the option of 3G, which is internet through cell towers

A Smart Phone is essentially a phone with internet, for the most part

Now one would think, with all these wonderful things coming out daily, that someone would have an on-the-shelf, buy-it-now DVR player/recorder that individuals could own, NOT RENT, and record what they wanted to watch without paying megabucks to cable and satellite companies.  Something with a hard-drive recorder so you’re not having to mess with tapes and discs.

My favorite so far from the Electronics Show is the Baby Monitor.  You can actually see baby, from another room, across town or wherever, and if baby starts to cry while you're at work you can actually sing to him via your cell phone.

roshanarose

« Reply #1233 on: January 09, 2011, 04:28:02 AM »
pedln - I liked the baby monitor, but for me it is a little late.  I used to watch my baby daughter like a hawk.  I was always relieved when she woke up.  I realise now that whilst she was asleep, she was in some kind of suspended animation.

Thanks to the 14 y o grandson for his knowledge of "i".

mabel1015j

« Reply #1234 on: January 09, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
What a concise, good summary of the "I's" Pedln, thank your g-son for sharing his expertise....jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1235 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
Thanks, Pedln. I agree that your grandson provided very helpful definitions.

A reminder that tonight many PBS stations will broadcast the first episode of Downton Abbey, a new series in the genre of "Upstairs, Downstairs." Join our PBS Classic discussion. Read more at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/index.html

marjifay

« Reply #1236 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:55 PM »
A movie I have to recommend is THE STATION AGENT (2003), available at Netflix.  Really great.  When I read the IMDB summary, had I not gotten a recommendation from a friend whose film recommendations I take seriously, I'd probably not have watched it.  So glad I did.  Never heard of the actors (Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson, Bobby Cannavale), but I'm going to look for more of their films. 

Marj

Frybabe

« Reply #1237 on: January 11, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
I second your recommendation, Marj. A very nice, feel good movie.

Babi

« Reply #1238 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
   I would like a nice, 'feel good' movie.  Thank you both for the
recommendation.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1239 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:42 AM »
Oh yes, The Station Agent is a wonderful movie.  I don't give many Five Stars, but that one got it.  I'm like you, Marj, the description didn't sell the title to me.  But I'm sure glad I saw it. It's truly a winner.

Here's the Netflix blurb --

When his only friend dies, a young dwarf named Finbar McBride (Peter Dinklage) relocates to an abandoned train station in rural New Jersey, intent on living the life of a hermit. But his solitude is interrupted by his colorful neighbors. Finbar's new crop of friends includes a struggling artist (Patricia Clarkson) coping with the recent death of her young son and a talkative Cuban hot dog vendor (Bobby Cannavale).