Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 354697 times)

Maryemm

Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #800 on: December 06, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »

The Classics Forum

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.

Welcome to our Classics Forum, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

Congratulations to the Class of 2014 and their awesome results on the National Latin Exam! See post 654 below!

It's never too late to learn Latin!

Interested in learning more about our Latin Courses? Click here: Learn More About Our Latin Courses

On A MUCH LIGHTER NOTE!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPOXuJseU0ZTgLpZbcL5bdg

Ginny Lindzey was kind enough to let us use one of her (learn Latin) card games for our "Ecce" magazine.

Frybabe

« Reply #801 on: December 09, 2015, 02:16:48 PM »
Maryemm, I'm sure you've seen the news about Stonehenge.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/07/stonehenge-first-erected-in-wales-secondhand-monument

PS: Adore the cartoons.

Maryemm

« Reply #802 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:32 AM »
No, I missed that Frybabe, (have been feeling under the weather),  so thanks for drawing it to my attention. Always knew the stones came from Wales but not the rest of the information.

Have not visited the site for years. Still recall our first visit. One could go up to the stones and touch them, and sit on them! ( I found a woman's handbag and handed it in to the attendant at the entrance. My archaeological find!)

I think the Avebury stones are "better". Visited these on a drizzly day and took the following image. Strange thing: apart from the sheep we hadn't noticed anything/anyone else around at the time! I call it the Watcher on the Hill!

Frybabe

« Reply #803 on: December 10, 2015, 08:15:14 AM »
Great photo, MaryEmm. I was actually a little disappointed when I saw Stonehenge. It looked so much smaller than it did on TV. I was sixteen at the time.

Maryemm

« Reply #804 on: December 11, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
I was disappointed because the site was so near a main road. It needed to be in a remote spot, I thought.

Frybabe

« Reply #805 on: December 11, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »
That too, MaryEmm. I would have liked very much if it wasn't so populated with tourist traffic (says one who was). I've just never been big on crowds. They are way to distracting. I avoid heavy shopping days and big sales for the same reason.

Maryemm

« Reply #806 on: December 11, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
I do practically all mine on line!

Maryemm

« Reply #807 on: December 12, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »
Julius Caesar battlefield unearthed in Southern Netherlands

Read all about it here at:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/11/julius-caesar-battlefield-unearthed-southern-netherlands-dutch-archaeologists

Maryemm

« Reply #808 on: December 12, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »

Maryemm

« Reply #809 on: December 12, 2015, 07:49:09 AM »

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #810 on: December 12, 2015, 09:28:40 AM »
My goodness what a flood of new information! Thank you so much for these, Maryemm and Everybody!

The article on Caesar's possible mini strokes is fascinating, especially given his father's and ancestor's deaths.

It's a joy to look in here. So many interesting things to read!  Now I'm going to look up the APP.

Thank you!

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Maryemm

« Reply #811 on: December 12, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »

Julius Caesar May Have Suffered Mini Strokes, Not Epilepsy

See:   http://news.discovery.com/history/julius-caesar-may-have-suffered-mini-strokes-not-epilepsy-150416.htm

Maryemm

« Reply #812 on: December 12, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

The above was next on my list. Ginny!!

Do the new students know about this section?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #813 on: December 12, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »
I have put links in the Assignments, yes. I hope so. :)
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Frybabe

« Reply #814 on: December 13, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »
Super collection of new articles.

The comments at the bottom of the Caesar stroke article are priceless. I love a good laugh first thing in the morning. For some reason they don't show up on the direct link to the article, but if you go into the article about the battlefield and click from there, you can see the comments posts.

Maryemm

« Reply #815 on: December 18, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »

Tomereader1

« Reply #816 on: December 18, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »
This is lovely...thank you and Season's Greetings to you also.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BeckiC

« Reply #817 on: December 24, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »

Frybabe

« Reply #818 on: December 24, 2015, 04:45:08 PM »
Thanks for the article, Beck.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #819 on: December 24, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
OH my goodness! Look at the bottom image!~  That's the House of Paquius Proculus which it doesn't say.  Could it be OPEN after all this time?  The caption says one of 6 newly restored.   I tried in vain to find it last year only to be stopped by orange construction barriers.

What a present this  news is! Thank you, Becki!

Frybabe

« Reply #820 on: December 25, 2015, 06:14:57 AM »
Gorgeous isn't it? It is wonderful to see the whole floor, not just the canis tile. I actually didn't realize (or remember) it being part of a larger grouping. Could it be that the tile design is a common sight in other houses and I am remembering one of those? Guess I know what you are planning for the next summer trip. 

Zulema

« Reply #821 on: December 30, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »
Hello and Happy New Year.  I just came here again after a year, to visit you all.  I don't know where time goes and before I know it, it's months and months that I have not posted.  I do think of you all and see that you keep travelling, which is wonderful.  Wish you all the best and hope to come and read your news and thoughts more often.

Frybabe

« Reply #822 on: December 31, 2015, 06:50:57 AM »
It is wonderful to hear from you again Zulema. The best of the New Year to you.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #823 on: December 31, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »
How lovely to see you again, Zulema!~ I was so pleased to see you in the Holiday Books discussion.  How is NYC, my grandson's favorite city? (He absolutely LOVES NYC). He's just turned 9.

Frybabe, I meant to get back in here earlier. No, that's not a common pattern, it's very distinctive. I think what you might be thinking about is the documentary called City which was on PBS which we recommended  in one of our classes,  (and is now on youtube, it's wonderful),  and shows David Macaulay in Pompeii, standing in the atrium of that house  in a rain storm?  Once you see it you never forget it.

The Telegraph has named all six in a beautiful article with breathtaking photos: The mosaics are spectacular.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/12068416/A-2000-year-old-ancient-Roman-laundromat-open-to-public-for-first-time.html

The 6 houses are:  The Fullonica di Stephanus, La Casa di Paquius Proculus, la Casa del Sacerdos Amandus, la Casa di Fabius Amandio and la Casa dell’Efebo were also unveiled to the public.

Somebody working for Pompeii once said to me that Pompeii was like Disney World, there was always something new to see and I think they were right. If I'm still alive and mobile it will take something pretty drastic to keep me from it this year. :)

Happy New Year, Everybody!!

Zulema

« Reply #824 on: January 01, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
Ginny, every time I read you I learn so much from you!  And I envy you having a 9-year old grandson.  Mine, who is now 19, used to love to come to NYC and his favorite place to visit was the Metropolitan Museum.

Be well, everybody, and happily occupied, which I see you are.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #825 on: January 02, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
Zulema, YES!  The Met! I think  his mother thought that would be about a 5 minute drop by, and she sort of was thinking when I got the audios for all of us that no, that wouldn't be necessary, he was 7,  but she's good matured and went along with it.  And behold! That child led the way all day long,  and I have priceless photos  my DIL took of him and me with our headphones, we look like mirror images even as to posture, as we look at something.

Wonderful memory. We literally spent the day there. And of course didn't see it all.  The Met is very clever in how they present that to children. Not so, perhaps, the Museum of Natural History, flooded with children, not the first audio. I think that's a mistake, but we still spent half a day there and he was much taken with it, too.

I am so glad because I did want him to love NYC and he did, every single minute of it. Even got to stand in the front of the El which I loved as a child, have photos of that too, remember standing and looking out the front? They still do it, apparently.

I think my  DIL was much taken with the friendliness of the people who offered endless advice. We were wondering where the echo thing is in Grand Central Station and people came and told us exactly where to stand, he was amazed by it.  I was very proud of NYC. Really a wonderful trip, I'm sure you can tell. :)

Maryemm

« Reply #826 on: January 11, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
Greetings, Zulema. Good to hear from you and trust 2016 will be a happy and healthy year for you.

Maryemm

« Reply #827 on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »
Those who remember ATHENA (Joyce) in the Latin class will be saddened to hear of her death on December 22nd 2015. She had been battling cancer for three years but never complained, never even mentioning any health problems.

Joyce and I kept in touch and played Scrabble every day. In fact we had just started our umpteenth game just two days before I heard the sad news, so it was quite a shock. I shall miss her.

Joyce Morrow Pair, English language educator. Recipient George M. Sparks fellowship Georgia State University, 1975. Historian Women's Forum of Georgia, Atlanta, 1990-1992. Member Modern Language Association, South Atlantic Modern Language Association, National Women's Studies Association, Women's Forum of Georgia.

Joyce Morrow Pair, Ph.D. edited the James Dickey Newsletter for twenty years.  She was a friend of James Dickey from 1984 until his death in 1997.  Since her retirement as English Professor, she edited manuscripts, chiefly on the work of Dickey.  She was Senior Editor of the digitized version of James Dickey Newsletter, to be found at http://www.jamesdickey.org

Frybabe

« Reply #828 on: January 11, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that, MaryEmm. I have been wondering about her for quite some time.

Maryemm

« Reply #829 on: January 22, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »

Piecing together the gruesome story of York’s headless Romans

Maryemm

« Reply #830 on: January 22, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »

However, the nearest modern descendants of these Roman British men live in Wales rather than Yorkshire

In another paper it stated "South Wales" : my birth-place!!!

Frybabe

« Reply #831 on: January 22, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »
I hadn't seen that one MaryEmm. The one I saw a day or two ago was about the dinosaur dig at Penarth.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35364711

Anyway, back to your article...I am wondering about the Welsh genetics. I'll have to read into the published articles, I guess, to see what they say. I didn't see an approximate date for these burials, but with the Romans having so much trouble subduing the Welsh, I am inclined to think they were captive warriors either made to fight in the arena.

Frybabe

« Reply #832 on: January 22, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »
Ah, okay. The gist of it is that the Welsh genes from populations already living in the area and are the result of earlier migrations rather than from those brought in as captives or slaves. Then there is the Welsh connection with Yorkshire through King Arthur and his Knights. Was he Welsh or was he from the Yorkshire area, but of Welsh descent? Things I should know, or remember, but don't.

That reminds me. I remember Mom telling me that she supposedly had relatives living in the York area. I don't think she ever knew who they were, though, or how long they had been there.

Frybabe

« Reply #834 on: February 04, 2016, 06:20:33 AM »
During my daily cruise through Project Gutenberg, I fan across another volume of an old magazine called The Mentor. This volume is entirely about Julius Caesar. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51110/51110-h/51110-h.htm

At the end was an interesting painting called The Conquerors. Because the print quality of the magazine left something to be desired regarding the art, I looked it up. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/images/fritel-the-conquerors-1.jpg Here it is unframed, in color, also not a good quality pix: http://www.artnet.com/artists/pierre-fritel/les-conqu%C3%A9rants-lRq6Jel2w3qavjD6xPa3bg2

Sothby's sold it in 1988, but no one (expept, perhaps Sothby's) knows who has it now or where it is.
http://articles.philly.com/1988-02-22/news/26242069_1_paintings-auction-house-sotheby

What a mystery! First it gets forgotten after John Wanamaker died (how do you forget such a large piece fo art?), then it gets sold in 1988 and disappears again. The artist, Pierre Fritel, is also obscure.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #835 on: February 04, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
history, a great painting and a mystery in one shot. Good find!

Maryemm

« Reply #836 on: February 20, 2016, 09:10:12 AM »

Treasure trove of Roman artefacts found under the A1: Pots, beads and jewellery are among 177,000 pieces unearthed by roadworks

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3401618/Treasure-trove-Roman-artefacts-A1-Pots-beads-jewellery-

Maryemm

« Reply #837 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
Remains of 'extraordinary' Roman arcade found in Colchester

Ruins of the 120-metre-long Roman arcade - the largest of its kind in Britain - discovered in Colchester beneath land intended for new apartments

See:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/archaeology/12150373/Remains-of-extraordinary-Roman-arcade-found-in-Colchester.html#disqus_thread

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #838 on: February 20, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
My goodness, look at those! Thank you so much, Mary!  What fascinating finds they label at the end of that article found in this or that store, like:

•   Napier Road: Eight Roman graves dating back to the third and fourth centuries unearthed at the site in 2013
•   Williams and Griffin department store: Three gold armlets, a silver chain necklace and two silver bracelets belonging to a wealthy Roman woman, found in 2014.

If I lived in the UK I'd be digging in the basement every night like Mapp and Lucia. :)

I haven't been to Colchester in years, I may have to plan a trip back.

Frybabe

« Reply #839 on: February 20, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »
I don't know if any of you read the comments section below the article, but I am laughing myself silly over the comments under the arcade article.

The sidebar about the spread of parasites in the roadworks find article is particularly interesting.