Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186774 times)

joangrimes

• Alabama
Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2010, 11:00:45 PM »

Share your  personal photos with us here

Graphics and photos are welcomed here in Introductions only. We ask you to limit the size to 500 pixels on the longest side and to 100 KB in file size.

If you need a place to store your photo for posting  you might like to use this free site http://photobucket.com/

If you do not have PSP or other software for sizing and compressing your photos you might like to use http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ this is also a free site.

Welcome skdjones!!!!

WE are so glad that you found us here and hope that you will tell us what you enjoy reading...

I am a kindle owner too and i just love my Kindle..

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #361 on: December 11, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
WELCOME, WELCOME! I've asked for a kindle for Christmas -- I love my books, but I also just moved. That's when you REALLY see their downside.

What kind of books do you enjoy? We have a bit of everything here.

SexySixty

« Reply #362 on: December 28, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Hey!  it's me, Lorraine, a/k/a SexySixty.   I have no idea how to navigate around
here....but Mary Z told me some great ladies were looking for me.  I'm still here
in Bushnell, FL but am trying to purchase a home in Inverness.

If you are getting together for lunch somewhere here in Central FL try to get
to me, or Mary as I'd love to see you all again.

p.s.  I recently hit my 5 year 'survivor' mark.....and I'm super busy with
my dear National Therapy Dog, Sparky doing lots of visiting primarily
with Hospice patients.   It has changed my life and I've truly found
my "life's purpose".

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #363 on: December 28, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
Lorraine..Andy and Stephanie are talking about it in Fiction...

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=938.msg99296#msg99296

Click the link above and you'll see their posts and can post or email them.

jane

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: December 28, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »
Welcome, Lorraine! It's great to see you here.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #365 on: December 30, 2010, 01:59:29 AM »
Welcome back, Lorraine. I just hit my 10 year "survivor" mark. We old gals are tough!

Aberlaine

« Reply #366 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »
Hey!  it's me, Lorraine, a/k/a SexySixty.   I have no idea how to navigate around
here....but Mary Z told me some great ladies were looking for me.  I'm still here
in Bushnell, FL but am trying to purchase a home in Inverness.

If you are getting together for lunch somewhere here in Central FL try to get
to me, or Mary as I'd love to see you all again.

p.s.  I recently hit my 5 year 'survivor' mark.....and I'm super busy with
my dear National Therapy Dog, Sparky doing lots of visiting primarily
with Hospice patients.   It has changed my life and I've truly found
my "life's purpose".

Hi Lorraine, I think we used to chat on the Depression topic.  Welcome back.  Good to hear from you!  I'm so glad that you and Sparky are doing the rounds.  My senior dog had to be put to sleep because of cancer, but we rescued a 6-year old Border Collie from the humane society.  She's very sweet and gentle.

Nancy

Tomereader1

« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »
I am wondering how many of you from the old SeniorNet remember Phyllis Greene a/k/a Wede. 

Wede passed away, I think last Thursday. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that Phyllis has passed away. Thank you for letting us know.

KEKARTERGY

How to Get a Movie Cheaply?
« Reply #369 on: March 03, 2011, 01:04:08 PM »
The one and not only prime time Final Destination 3
 I like a lot and actively watch online out is Tony
 I'll watch "The Big Bang Theory" and "Accidentally On Purpose" if I don't change the channel, but I don't care about them either way and find them the very definition of "average". And I do enjoy "The Mentalist", though I don't think it's cutting edge television or anything and I push came to shove I would rather watch ABC's "Castle"

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #370 on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Hello Kekartergy...welcome to SeniorLearn!    We hope you make yourself at home with us.  Please tell us a little something about yourself?
Earlier we moved your post to our Movies/Books Into Movies discussion - some of the posters in that discussion are already responding to your message.  We hope you drop in to say Hello.  If you need help getting around, just post here.

Movies/Books Into Movies discussion

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #371 on: March 03, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
WELCOME WELCOME!

roshanarose

« Reply #372 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »
Welcome Kekartergy - You are in good company here.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

janefan

« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
I am a retired English teacher (40 years total).  My interests include reading (a way of life), walking, tennis, cooking, gardening, and current events.  My favorite authors are Jane Austen and Philip Roth, and I love the poetry of Jane Kenyon, W.H. Auden, and Adrienne Rich.  Among my guilty pleasures are "Weeds," "Law and Order," single malt scotch, local beers, and ice cream.  To counteract the effects of my guilty pleasures, I exercise just about every day.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »
Welcome, welcome, Janfan! You will find many like minded spirits here. I love your self description!  I like  Auden too, but it's been a while since I've read him again.

Do look up on the left of the top of every page, under the picture advertising what's on offer and you'll see the Discussion Index. If you click on that and scroll, and keep scrolling  you can find everything we offer except the Latin classes which are not visible.

I've recently started walking again, and they are right,  you really can get a high from exercise. I'm trying to build up my miles back to what they once were, literally one step at a time. I'm up to 3 miles at a time, it's amazing how much better it makes you feel. Plus you get outside.   When weather permits, of course.

Welcome!!  Join in anywhere!
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #375 on: April 10, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
Welcome, Janefan. I too enjoyed your description. I love Jane Austen too and periodically re-read her novels. I'm also collecting dvds of many of the on-screen versions of her work, some of which are better than others at capturing her wit and characterizations.

roshanarose

« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
Being an Antipodean, I have no idea what "curling" is?  Please tell me.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »
If there are any who know more about curling than me, please come in and correct me.

Curling is a sport which (I believe) originated in Scotland. It's played by sliding rocks across ice (of course in modern curling, they aren't real rocks, but specially designed round rock-like things with handles).

It's very popular in countries that have a lot of ice: not popular in the US except in a few of out Northern States. The only time we get to see it on TV is in the Olympics (where the US teams regularly get trounced). Brian here on Seniornet used to be a curler (he's Canadian -- the Canadians are great at it). Of course, it's not played here in Southern california, where many people have never seen snow or ice.

I'll see if I can find a good link with pictures. It's looks funny at first, because there are sweepers who sweep the course in front of the rock to get it to go where they want it. But it's very exciting once you understand it a little.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »
I think you explained it well, JoanK. I've only seen it on TV during the Olympics and I've enjoyed it. It is an odd "sport."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #379 on: May 16, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »
I'm sure that's correct on curling. Actually Brian here on our site is a former curling champion and played on a team up until a year or so ago, he's Canadian. If he's around, I'd ask him for the skinny, he really knows the sport from the inside.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »
Curling as an Olympic sport - I'm smiling at the memory...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
I got turned onto it in the last-but-one winter Olympics. The Scotch womens team, playing under "England" gave England what I believe was its first Winter Olympics gold medal. They did it by making an impossible shot on the last shot of the tournament. I've been a fan ever since.

roshanarose

« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »
Thank you, thank you for all your information regarding curling.  This am I know something new!

bilkut

« Reply #384 on: May 26, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
Hullo!

Just signed up, and am very glad to be here. I like to describe myself as a truly distinguished non-entity; likes include music, books, dogs and coffee, in no particular order.  Am an orthopaedic surgeon in practice otherwise.

Bilkut.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #385 on: May 26, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
A truly distinguished non-entity with a sense of humor!  Just what we need here.  Welcome!  You're just in time to join in our monthly in-depth discussion In June we're discussing  Jane Gardam's Old Filth - if you are able to get hold of the book.   The discussion doesn't begin until June 1, but we are already gathering.  Just follow this link - http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2259.0

Others will be by to welcome you, bilkut.  What sort of books are of  interest to a non-entity? ;)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #386 on: May 26, 2011, 01:01:36 PM »
Hi Bilkut - welcome!  I like all those things, as I'm sure do many others here.  I haven't been here very long myself, but it's a great group.  What books do you like?

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #387 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
WELCOME, WELCOME! Whatever kind of books you like, we discuss them. So pull up a chair, and browse our discussions.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: May 26, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
Welcome, Bilkut! I am intrigued by your self-description and look forward to more.

roshanarose

« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2011, 01:21:28 AM »
Hi and Welcome - Bilkut.  I come from Australia.  Do you enjoy reading the Classics?  We have just the page for you as we are reading the Odyssey.

Gumtree

« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »
Hi Bilkut: Just have to say Welcome to a truly distinguished non entity - there are not many of us around  :D   Obviously you must enjoy books - what sort? And just to satisfy my curiosity - what sort of music can't you live without?

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2011, 02:31:45 AM »
Gumtree - that would be an interesting one for us all to answer (although I suppose it's a bit off topic...).  I've always thought it would be fun to be the interviewee on Desert Island Discs - although last week it was Debbie Harry, who I expected to be interesting - she wasn't.  Whenever Kirsty Young asked her why she's chosen a particular piece of music (and none that she chose were exactly awe-inspiring) she just said "I dunno really".   Usually it's a very good show.

Or maybe we should start a thread "Desert Island Books" and choose our top 10 of those?  (They're already "given" the Bible and Shakespeare).

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #392 on: May 27, 2011, 04:23:33 AM »
Rosemary:  Now Desert Island Books is something that deserves thinking about. One or two leap into mind - but is it to be just one or say 10 or 100 ? What fun to choose them together and then vote to read some of them here with the group -
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #393 on: May 27, 2011, 05:35:33 AM »
Well, on Desert Island Discs they choose 8 records, then have to say which one they would choose above all the rest.  they are also allowed one book and one luxury (but it can't be something like internet - they are not allowed to contact anyone).  Somewhere - in storage of course! - i have a book with many of the old interviews in it, it's one of those addictive dipping-in sort of coffee table books, I expect I got it from a jumble sale   :)  There was one famous opera singer who notoriously chose 8 of her own recordings!  At least none of us could do that (I think?).

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
I think that's a fair assumption, Rosemarykaye.  I've wondered what I would choose.  If I had to choose one composer, it would have to be Bach, with regrets to some close seconds, but 8 discs? Aaaargh!

Welcome, bilkut!  You inspire me to think of myself as a truly undistinguished non-entity.  (In fact, I'm a retired research chemist who did her best in science's fight to discover the truth, without adding very much, but it was a lot of fun.)  There are a lot of different discussions here.  You're sure to find something that fits your interest.

Sefarina

« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
Good Morning.. 
I will be joining these discussion groups,   after I catch up with
     what is going on.    It may take me a while.
I am from the Seattle Washington area...
Sefarina

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #396 on: June 02, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
Sefarina - Welcome!  So happy to hear that you will be joining our book discussions.  I'd like to invite you into our new Bookclub Online discussion - a  month-long discussion of Jane Gardam's novel, Old Filth.  We just started yesterday - and this morning received the news that the author will correspond with our readers from Kent, England.  It's not too late to find the book and jump in.

Please do stop in and see what the book is about and introduce yourself too for that matter.  Here's a link to "Old Filth"  -   http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=118.0

Have fun!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2011, 11:54:29 AM »
Hello Sefarina!  Welcome!

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
WELCOME, WELCOME! Hit the arrow next to the "GO" botton below the posts to see what discussions we offer, and browse to your heart's content. What jkind of books do you like to read?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »
Welcome, Sefarina. We're always glad to welcome another reader.