Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 363973 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #1040 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1041 on: March 08, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
Welcome to our newcomers, Maryemm, yvonne miller, and Roxania.  (Roxania and I are currently sailing around the Mediterranean together in Odyssey.)

If any of you don't know about the Fantastic Fiction website, it's a superb resource--15000 sci-fi and mystery writers listed, with brief bio, all their books listed in order, often arranged by series, and a brief description of each book.

One of the good things about our sci-fi site is finding new authors that other people know about, but a problem when you first come here is that we've already talked ourselves out about some of our favorites, so you won't see anything about them unless you go way back.  I'll try to think of my favorites.  Hey, everyone, what are yours?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1042 on: March 08, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »
Yvonne, I, too am a Clarke and Asimov fan, have read a large fraction of their considerable output.  I once saw Asimov at a sci-fi convention (sometime in the 50s, I think).  He had just won an award and was being rather pompous about it, but I suspect that wasn't typical.  Jillian May--is this (Julian) who you mean?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/julian-may/

I'm a little surprised I hadn't heard of her, since she's been around a while--looks promising.

Roxanne, I have an interesting reaction to Orson Scott Card.  When I'm reading one of his books I keep objecting to myself "yes, but...." but I'll still read the book straight through nonstop, can't put it down.

Maryemm, David Edding is one of those authors I keep not getting around to reading.  Usually, when I finally do get to it, I kick myself for not having dived in sooner.

Steph and yvonne, I had the same feeling that C. S. Lewis really knew how to tell a story magically.  When my children read the Narnia series, they completely didn't notice the religious side, so obvious to an adult.

Steph

« Reply #1043 on: March 09, 2011, 06:17:58 AM »
I love Space Opera..You can tell my age, since that was enormously popular in the 50's. Read all of the Gray Lensman series.. Possibly author was Doc Smith??? I loved them.. Strictly written like an old fashioned western in space.. Fun.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Maryemm

« Reply #1044 on: March 11, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
PatH: Thank you for the kind welcome.

I really enjoyed the Belgariad series. (David Eddings).

Asimov was quite the ladies' man, so I was told! He could certainly write though.

Steph

« Reply #1045 on: March 12, 2011, 06:16:15 AM »
Asimov.. My older son got to attend a lecture by him at college and loved him.. He was a math freak and so is my son.. He makes his living as an engineer, but numbers and math have always fascinated him.

Babi

« Reply #1046 on: March 12, 2011, 08:23:15 AM »
 I just picked up from the library a new Anne McCaffrey/Elizabeth Scarborough book,  "Catacombs".  McCaffrey and cats!  How could I resist?  It may be a bit hard to swallow
the notion of cats in charge, with human slaves, but really it's just an extension of things as
they are.   ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #1047 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:05 AM »
There are two favorite lines I like about cats:

Cats were once treated like Gods. They have never forgotten this.

Dogs have masters, cats have staff.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1048 on: March 12, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
Tee, hee, Frybabe :)

Steph

« Reply #1049 on: March 13, 2011, 06:33:07 AM »
I found a really new book at the book sale by McCaffrey and Scarborough and I think that is the name.Will dig around in my TBR file.

Babi

« Reply #1050 on: March 13, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
 So far, I'm finding the new book (Catacombs) more in the Scarborough style than the McCaffrey.  A bit silly, but a fun relief from heavier stuff.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1051 on: March 14, 2011, 06:27:48 AM »
Scarborough is younger than McCaffrey. It could be that she thought up the world. I think they have collaborated before.

Babi

« Reply #1052 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:41 AM »
They have collaborated before.   I was thinking Scarborough wrote some 'cat' books, but I had
her confused with some other author. 

Steph

« Reply #1053 on: March 16, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »
I f my life will just calm down, I can look up the book.. I cant seem to quite catch up nowadays..Daylight Saving makes me confused for about a week..

Babi

« Reply #1054 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »
 I take the days as they come, STEPH.  It takes me a couple of days to get used to getting up
at what is actually an hour earlier, but that's the only difference it makes for me.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1055 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »
Tomorrow I have to catch a 4 AM airport van to to fly to the west coast, 3hour change.  That should make me forget daylight savings.

Steph

« Reply #1056 on: March 18, 2011, 06:38:32 AM »
The nicest part of flying to the west coast is the flying back east.. Much easier than the back stuff.

Babi

« Reply #1057 on: March 18, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »
Amazing, isn't it, how the same trip can take three hours going one way and only two hours
going back.  ;)

Steph

« Reply #1058 on: March 19, 2011, 06:25:31 AM »
I have stopped on the cat story. It is simply not holding my interest and I did finally find the copy of The Help, that I picked up at the book sale..

Babi

« Reply #1059 on: March 19, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
 I finished the 'cat' book, but do not plan to read any of the other 'barque cat' books.  I just
think there are better books waiting to be read.

Steph

« Reply #1060 on: March 20, 2011, 09:50:12 AM »
I think I will let it rest until I am in the mood for very very light stuff.

Maryemm

« Reply #1061 on: March 20, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
Aha I see there are cat lovers amongst us! We have two black and white moggies. I always wanted a Maine coone but ours have more than made up for it as they are BIG! In a brotherly (!) fight last year one of them pulled me over/ I crashed my face against the corner of a picnic table and I not only had to attend hospital I acquired a real shiner and straightened my previously-bent nose. As the cats  pointed out later they saved me a lot of money with DIY cosmetic surgery.

I have nothing to read. I've looked through seven bookcases and can't find anything I haven't read dozens of times. So it will be a Kindle search after this.

(Does time travel/re-incarnation count in this section?

roshanarose

« Reply #1062 on: March 20, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
Maryemm : Ah.  I love Maine Coon cats, do you take yours for walks?  The closest cat I have had of that size was an Abby X.  He had this big body and the small head of an Abby.  We jokingly called him Godzilla, but his real name was Fengari.  Modern Greek for Moon.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1063 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:32 AM »
(Does time travel/re-incarnation count in this section?
Certainly.  And anything even remotely connected with sci-fi or fantasy is fair game, and sometimes we get pretty far afield.

Steph

« Reply #1064 on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:32 AM »
I l iked Robert Heinlins cats.. He had a gift for making them believable and fun.

Babi

« Reply #1065 on: March 21, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
 Love cats.  Didn't care at all for Robert Heinlein.  We have two cats now that are polar opposites, but they do get along just fine.

Steph

« Reply #1066 on: March 22, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
I have always had both dogs and cats, but when we started rving, when those cats went to the bridge, I did not get others. Cats are not good travelers in an rv. Now with no RV, I may consider a kitten. Just not yet.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1067 on: March 23, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »
Lots of sci-fi writers see the importance of cats.  They are often major characters in Judith Merrill's books.  All of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden series have cats in them, sometimes as background, but often playing an important role in the plot.

Steph

« Reply #1068 on: March 24, 2011, 06:13:38 AM »
Never thought of it, but yes cats are in so many science fiction books.

Babi

« Reply #1069 on: March 24, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
 Hmm, yes, I think cats probably would be able to adapt well to space travel.  Nimble, quick
to react, cautious.  Surivors! 

roshanarose

« Reply #1070 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
Miaow to that !  See "Red Dwarf" for the ultimate Cat in Space.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1071 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:04 AM »
 I'll take a look at it, ROSE.  Thanks.

Steph

« Reply #1072 on: March 26, 2011, 06:17:20 AM »
 Iam still working on Miles. Finally decided to try the one about his courtship of Ekatarina.. Starts well.

Maryemm

« Reply #1073 on: March 26, 2011, 12:34:48 PM »
Years ago I read, and loved,"Thomasina" and "Jennie" by Paul Gallico. Must get hold of copies again.

Re-incarnation: "Green Darkness" by Anya Seton.

Steph

« Reply #1074 on: March 27, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
Did Gallico write science fiction??

Babi

« Reply #1075 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:33 AM »
 I don't think so, STEPH.  Unless you would consider "The Poseidon Adventure" sci/fi.  That seems to me a bit of a departure from his usual style, but still not sci/fi.  I like many of his books,
but they were all on the light side, to me.

Steph

« Reply #1076 on: March 28, 2011, 06:22:45 AM »
I never like Gallico, but thought maybe I had missed some sci fi or fantasy that he wrote.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1077 on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »
I finally came to the top of the library reserve list for "All Clear", the concluding half of Connie Willis' "Blackout", which my f2f sci-fi book group read in February. The books shouldn't have been split; Blackout ends in the middle of the action, not even really at a stopping point.  It was a publisher's decision.  The two together are over 1200 pages.

The time-traveling historians are traveling back to WWII, but they are having trouble, because the drops aren't operating properly, and they don't seem to be able to get back.  Several of them are stuck in London during the Blitz, and we get a good picture of life then.  Complaints: there are far too many scenes in which people are rushing around trying to find each other, too many times when the characters are hiding some bit of information from someone because it will upset them, even though the person involved needs to know whatever it is, and the suspense-building trick of cutting back and forth from one set of events to another is overused to the point of confusion, especially since we are not only moving in space, but also seeing the same characters at different points of time.

It's still a good read, though.  WWII conditions are memorably described, we care about the characters, present and past, and the explanation for the problem with the drops is convincing and important.

So I recommend the two books, but you will have to work at them a bit.

Maryemm

« Reply #1078 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
Did Gallico write science fiction??
Steph

Apologies, Steph and Babi, I got side-tracked by the cats.   ::)

I always loved the John Wyndham books and short stories. Here are some of them:

The Day of the Triffids,
The Kraken Wakes,
The Chrysalids,
The Midwich Cuckoos
The Seeds of Time.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1079 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
I think I need to go back and reread some of the older authors like Wyndham, see what I think of them now.