Author Topic: Women's Issues  (Read 367163 times)

MaryPage

mogamom

Re: Women's Issues
« Reply #2561 on: April 29, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
Exactly!  A sign of desperation - and anti-women - to not be able to run just on your record.  Sad, really.  What an embarrassment! :-[

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #2562 on: April 29, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
In my opinion Hillary Clinton is the best qualified.  I've voted for both Democrats and Republicans but no Republicans this time.

MaryPage

DDE
« Reply #2563 on: April 29, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »
I still like Ike!

nlhome

« Reply #2564 on: April 29, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
I think Hillary has the record to run on. She is a politician, so her campaign will take many approaches, just as the other candidates are doing.

Steph

« Reply #2565 on: April 30, 2016, 09:09:17 AM »
Oh MaryPage, so do I and if he were alive, the republicans would not have him around.. I like Hilary and will vote for her and go out and campaign for her. Sexual predator... hmm, well on the other hand, we have THE DONALD who discards his women if they are not models, not v ery bright and seem to adore him.. sigh.. Not a choice for any woman.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

WELL, EXACTLY!
« Reply #2566 on: April 30, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »
You are so On Point, Steph!  Trump has never repented a thing in his life (publicly, that is.  I am not privy, thank goodness for small mercies, to his private life), and has dumped many women, including 2 previous wives.  This one is younger than his oldest daughter!  And he is an infamous womanizer.

Yes, it was distasteful to discover Bill Clinton could not resist a come on.  But in reading what was written in the past, I have gathered he was strongly enticed.  Monica wrote quite frankly to the point that she attempted to seduce him, and not the other way around.  Remember her describing tweaking her thong, or something?  I am not versed in how that works, as I have never worn a thong in my life.  But this is the thing:  Bill Clinton has repented.  Big Time!  And if his family has forgiven him, surely we can!  I remember words that told us to, I believe in Matthew:  "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." 

Finally, I kind of sort of think we really need to concentrate on the qualities of Hillary Clinton, who obviously loved and forgave, and, according to Scripture, therefore stands to have been forgiven her own sins, whatever they may have been.  The more hate that her enemies spew out against her for forgiving her very own husband, the less forgiveness those same holier than thou souls will receive.  Not according to me, but check out Matthew 6.

mogamom

« Reply #2567 on: April 30, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »
What makes anyone think he has repented?  You really don't think the Monica Lewinsky - the star-struck intern - was the only other woman in his life? 

To repent is to accept responsibility.  He got caught - not at all the same thing.  All those women did not entice him; he was - and is - a sexual predator.  For instance, he groped Wiley - not at all enticed, and his attentions were not reciprocated nor appreciated, but repulsive; he has even been accused of rape.  And these reports were made from many in Arkansas as well as Washington.  Remember, Hillary said all women should be believed.

And look how the media still covers for him!  When Hillary's accused of enabling him, they talk about his 'naughtiness'!  Naughtiness? Like, 'boys will be boys', I guess.  And maybe those journalists are just jealous of what he was able to get away with?  It's sickening.

I don't know if Trump will be the nominee, but he gave an honest response to what he most regretted in his life at the Town Hall where he told us all that he had not been a good husband.  He believed he had been a good father, but not a good husband, and that was something he regrets and has worked hard to change.  And I do believe that he knows the global business and banking world like no one else running.

For women everywhere who have had to endure the Bill Clinton's of the world, and the Hillary's who would sell out anyone for her own gain, I agree with the ABC plan - Anyone But Clinton.  I think of all those mother's who so feared losing their safe little home - or their status, or their pride, or their security, etc., who turned a blind eye to their husband's sexual harassment/abuse.  I don't hate anyone; nor do I doubt the power of forgiveness.  I do hope their marriage is restored.  I pray they have a happy, blessed life together.  But God does not require me to trust someone who has repeatedly shown themselves to be untrustworthy, as both of them have in regard to so many issues. Honestly, I have looked carefully at the qualities of Hillary Clinton and find nothing worthy of the office she is seeking.

I'm happy you've found someone to believe in.  I am deeply sorry she's the one.

Steph

« Reply #2568 on: May 01, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »
hmm, so you really feel that Trump is being a good boy. He never has been, why would he start now ... and if you want someone who knows banking and is intelligent. Elizabeth Warren is probably number one in my book.. Trump now has to scam. Look up his records. look at the elusive businesses that he get into enticed people who invest in and then came up clean.. No. if you vote for Trump be prepared to deal with a man who has no grip on any sort of reality except his ego.

MaryPage

AN OUTRAGE
« Reply #2569 on: May 01, 2016, 10:06:24 AM »
TRUMP UNIVERSITY was an outrage!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #2570 on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:54 AM »
As were many of his business ventures - a Real Estate development in Florida went belly up - the golf course he was planning in Scotland - the Scottish people decided his rude behavior was no longer being tolerated so the golf course will not happen. And just how many times did he take bankruptcy?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

nlhome

« Reply #2571 on: May 01, 2016, 01:05:44 PM »
I sometimes think we women can't win. Stand by your man, you're weak and enabling. Kick him out, you're mean and vindictive. Speak softly, no one pays attention. Speak up, you're shrill. Etc.

MaryPage

SO TRUE!
« Reply #2572 on: May 01, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
Oh, you are so absolutely right!

Steph

« Reply #2573 on: May 02, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
The old shrill drives me nuts.. How about shouting.. do men get called for it.. Hillary is fighting for what she believes in..

mogamom

« Reply #2574 on: May 02, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
Hillary is fighting for what she believes in - Hillary.  Only Hillary.  You can 'stand by your man' without attacking and smearing and threatening the many women who were harmed by him.  She was obviously protecting her own interests.  She threw every sexually abused woman under the bus to protect her own interests.

And why doesn't she just turn over the speeches she made to the big banks as Sanders has repeatedly asked?  There is just too much 'coincidence' in her wheelings and dealings - the large sums donated to the foundation while she was Secretary of State and, even then, the presumed next president.  Money...money...money - from everywhere and anywhere.

Trump was not a politician - he was a private citizen developing a business.  He filed bankruptcy - as the law allows.  As have many.  Maybe the laws need to change?  But I know private individuals who have filed for bankruptcy to get out from under a pile of debt.  Are they all evil too?

Bottom line, Trump would not be my first choice for president.  But Hillary wouldn't be my first - or last.

Steph

« Reply #2575 on: May 03, 2016, 09:06:09 AM »
Cannot resist.. Trump has declared bankrupcy several times and has started using his name in many places. A lot of them collapsed and he came out with money and the people who invested came out with nothing.. Going bankrupt once is a misfortune and many people have to, but he used it as a weapon.

mogamom

« Reply #2576 on: May 03, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »
I don't know how you are defining his bankruptcy as a 'weapon'?  I don't know.  I'm assuming most corporations/businesses have insurance for these kinds of things, but it is certainly still hurtful.

But Hillary has a record that she's running on.  She says now that Libya was a 'mistake'.  Along with Libya she also has to run on her actions in regard to policy in Syria, Egypt, the Arab Spring, ISIS.  Well, Trump's mistakes have cost people, I'm sure, in time, money, convenience, and opportunity.  Hillary's mistakes cost people their lives, their country, and in thousands of cases (with the great migration to Europe) their homes, families and livelihood; not to mention the toll it is taking on countries attempting to respond to the crisis.  And I don't suppose the Israelis are thinking that our deal with Iran hasn't cost them big-time.

And she says she's focusing on creating jobs, although she also says she wants to continue - and build on - the present administration's work.  Well - we have 95 million Americans out of the labor force and 40% on food stamps. Many jobs 'created' appear to be those needed to enact the ACA (which is now falling apart - on its way to single-payer as everyone guessed, though Gruber? explained how stupid we all are) in the Health Care System and IRS.  Which policies exactly has she decided are working so well that they should be continued?

And - again - I'm not an advocate for Trump.  And being from New York, I'm certainly not unaware of how things often 'get done'.  After all, Sheldon Silver is going to be sentenced soon.  And now we're faced with the investigation of the Buffalo Billion (it seems solar companies are being used to pay off favors; how many have gone bankrupt now?  with billions of tax-payers' money?).

I don't know if Trump is going to be the Republican candidate; and I don't know if he will do as he says - there's, of course, no guarantee.  But if Hillary does do what she says - and what she has already shown us by word and deed that she wants to do - well...I can't think of a worse thing that could happen! 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #2577 on: May 03, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »
You are not liking the idea of Hillary as President so who is it you prefer mogamom - would like to hear some positive views for someone that would make a satisfactory president.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

nlhome

« Reply #2578 on: May 04, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
Is that 40% of the 95 million on food stamps, or 40% of the population? That 95 million not working or looking for work includes students and elders, according to Politifact. And for sure 40% of the entire population is not on food stamps.

Just some of the numbers that we all need to look at and put in perspective. Just as we need to put into perspective Hillary Clinton's role - her detractors give her a tremendous amount of power and responsibility for things that happened over the years and under other peoples' watch.

mogamom

« Reply #2579 on: May 04, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »
I will check those numbers more closely. 

I want to think through my response to you, BarbStAudrey, as it is a good question deserving a well thought out response.  I thought I would respond last night, but the political stage changed pretty dramatically - and quickly; and apparently there is more change planned for today.  But I'll respond in the political process site, as it is more political than women's issues.

I will say that Hillary Clinton is cited as the author of the Libyan issue, and she has taken credit for setting up the Iranian deal.  She can't have it both ways - she enacted the administration's policies and has made it clear that she intends to continue - and build on - the president's policies.  If she objected to those policies she was expected to work through, she could have made that statement and stepped aside.  She didn't.

MaryPage

BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS NUMBERS
« Reply #2580 on: May 04, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
Number of Jobs — The economy has added 851,000 jobs since we published our last report. As of December, the number of total nonfarm jobs stands 9,265,000 higher than when Obama first took office.

That compares with the nearly 23 million jobs gained during the booming years of Bill Clinton’s presidency, and the fewer than 1.3 million added during President George W. Bush’s eight years, which were plagued by two recessions.

Unemployment Rate — Meanwhile the unemployment rate went down again, to 5.0 percent. It’s now 2.8 percentage points lower than it was in January 2009, when the president first took office in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Historically, the jobless rate is significantly lower than it has been most of the time since 1948. The historical median is 5.6 percent.

Long-term Unemployment — The number of long-term unemployed — those who have been looking for work for 27 weeks or longer — has dropped further since our last report. The number went down to less than 2.1 million in December, which is 614,000 fewer than when the president first took office. But it is still 761,000 higher than it was in December 2007, at the start of the Great Recession.

Labor Participation Rate — The labor force participation rate, which is the portion of the civilian population that is either employed or currently looking for work, ticked upward since our last report, to 62.6 percent in December. But it is still 3.1 percentage points lower than when Obama took office.

Contrary to many of Obama’s critics, however, that decline is due mostly to factors outside the control of any president — factors such as the post-World War II baby boomers reaching retirement age. Survey data published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in December show that those outside the labor force in 2014 said their reasons for not working were retirement (44 percent), illness or disability (19 percent), school attendance (18 percent) or home responsibilities (15 percent). Only 3 percent said they couldn’t find a job, or gave some other reason.

Job Openings — The number of job openings has declined only slightly since our last report, when it had peaked at the highest level in the 15 years that the Bureau of Labor Statistics has been tracking it.

The latest figures from the BLS show there were 5,431,000 jobs open in November, down 4 percent from the revised peak figure recorded in July, but still up 97 percent over the month Obama took office. The number of job openings now has exceeded 5 million for 10 consecutive months, after being below 5 million every month since January 2001.
Profits & Markets

Corporate Profits — Corporate profits have soared under Obama. After-tax profits were running at an annual rate of just under $1.8 trillion in the July-October quarter of last year, the most recent figures available. That’s down somewhat from the previous quarter — which was a record. But still 166 percent higher than in the quarter just before Obama entered office.

That quarter’s profits were unusually low, ravaged by the Great Recession. But even compared with the best quarter prior to his taking office, which was the third quarter of 2006, after-tax profits are up 27 percent.

Consumer Prices – Overall inflation in consumer prices has remained moderate over Obama’s more than six-and-a-half years in office, rising by only 12.4 percent between January 2009 and November, the most recent month for which the Bureau of Labor Statistics has released the Consumer Price Index.

The average yearly rise under Obama of 1.9 percent is less than half the post-World War II average, according to BLS figures. Between 1946 and 2008 the average yearly rise in the CPI was 4 percent, measured from December to December. In the most recent 12 months, the CPI has gone up only a little more than 0.2 percent.

Real Weekly Earnings – The recent low inflation has helped the buying power of weekly paychecks. The BLS measure of average weekly earnings for all workers, adjusted for inflation and seasonal factors, is 3.4 percent higher in November than it was when Obama first took office.

(Note: This figure may be revised slightly in our next report. The BLS is currently recalculating figures for January 2009 and for several earlier months, after discovering a data processing error. For this report we are still using as our starting point the figure that BLS originally published. The revised figure won’t be available until Feb. 5.)

Food Stamps

The number of people receiving food stamps dropped again since our last report, by nearly 142,000. As of October, the most recent month on record, nearly 45.4 million Americans were still receiving the food aid, now known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

That’s 5.1 percent lower than the record level set in December 2012, but still nearly 42 percent higher than it was when Obama took office in 2009.

But as we noted when Republicans called Obama the “Food Stamp President,” 14.7 million people were added to the food-stamp rolls during George W. Bush’s time in office. By comparison, the net gain under Obama now stands at just under 13.4 million — and it’s slowly declining as the economy improves.
Health Insurance

The number of people lacking health insurance continued to decline since our last report, according to the most recent data from the National Health Interview Survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

During the first six months of 2015, about 28.5 million people of all ages reported being without coverage at the time they were interviewed, the CDC reported in its most recent quarterly report. That’s down from 43.8 million during all of 2008 (see Table 1.1a), a drop of 15.3 million people since Obama first took office.

As a percentage of all U.S. residents, the uninsured have dropped to 9 percent of the population in the first half of last year, from 14.7 percent in 2008.

Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National); Total Nonfarm Employment, Seasonally Adjusted.” Data extracted 12 Jan 2016.

Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey; Unemployment Rate, Seasonally Adjusted.” Data extracted 12 Jan 2016.

Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey; Number Unemployed for 27 Weeks & Over, Seasonally Adjusted.” Data extracted 12 Jan 2016.

Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey: Job Openings, Seasonally Adjusted.” Data extracted 12 Jan 2016.

Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey; Labor Force Participation Rate.” Data extracted 12 Jan 2016.

MaryPage

FIGURES
« Reply #2581 on: May 05, 2016, 12:19:58 AM »
I make no claim to being a whiz at mathematics, but the Department of Labor says 45,400,000 Americans received some sort of assistance from the food stamp program as of January 2016.  And the World Clock says our population is now 323,488,810.  So I make that out to something around 14.03% of us who are getting such assistance.  Please assist me here and check out my figuring.

Politicians throw out any figures they "figure" they might fool the public with.  You know that old saying: "Figures don't lie, but liars sure do figure!"

Please correct my figuring if I err.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #2582 on: May 05, 2016, 05:13:16 AM »
323,488,810 X .1403 (14.03%) = 48,620,368.143

45,400,000 ÷ 323,488,810 = 0.1403448855000579 (14.03%)

48,620,368.143 - 45,400,000. = 3,220,368.143

48,620,368.143 ÷ 323,488,810. = 0.1503 (15.03%)

3,220,368.143 ÷ 323,488,810. = 0.0099551144999421 (00.99%)

It has been too many years but you were supposed to be able to prove your numbers by working it backwards and here I got different numbers by about 1% - but regardless it appears your number 14.03% does match.

You might want to double check by finding someone who has been in school for the last 10 years and does this new math - let them figure the numbers using their new math and see what they get.

mogamom

« Reply #2583 on: May 05, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
Great work!  Did you find this at the Bureau of Labor Statistics site itself, or is it from an article about their statistics? 

For those who gave up looking for a job:  retired (many took an early retirement package), in school, home responsibilities?, or disability?  I've also seen numbers suggesting those out of unemployment have ducked into a disability category.  And I'm hearing many women (especially) returning to whatever work they can find (usually part-time) to 'help out'.  They also don't count those people under-employed.  There have been many part-time jobs, that's true.  Places around us are now counting 25-30 hr/wk as 'full-time' employment, which I've never seen before.

I understood that we need a minimum of 300,000 new jobs/mo. to keep up with those entering the labor force?

We are experiencing inflation - especially in food and clothing.  Our social security did not see a cost-of-living raise (because there is presumably little inflation?), but 15% more has been taken out for medicare. 

Also, new housing start-ups have significantly decreased, there is a higher percentage of millennials living with parents/grandparents stating they can't afford to live on their own, and our GDP was at  last report at 0.5% 

mabel1015j

« Reply #2584 on: May 05, 2016, 01:25:09 PM »
Thank you for that report MaryPage, very interesting.

I wish "new housing start-ups" would decrease even more, we're losing too much open space and farmland in NJ and.unfortunately the new homes in our town are taking up 3 times as much space as the older homes in the town.  I'm not sure why that figure is indicative of our economy. It seems to me that "homes bought" would be more indicative of the economy. I know very few people who have built or bought new homes throughout their lifetimes.

Jean

mogamom

« Reply #2585 on: May 06, 2016, 10:43:56 AM »
New home start-ups is a good measure of economic growth because our population is expanding, those entering the work force are increasing as more come out of school.  Colleges end in May, so the numbers are likely to change fairly dramatically as they begin searching for jobs.

And 'full-time employment' does not always mean 40 hrs/wk now - 30 hrs is the cut-off for our new health care system.  So people have to work two essentially part-time jobs (though they may be classified as 'full-time'), losing out on benefits, to equal the income of their old full-time job.

"In April, according to the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the nation’s civilian noninstitutional population, consisting of all people 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution, reached 252,969,000. Of those, 158,924,000 participated in the labor force by either holding a job or actively seeking one.

The 158,924,000 who participated in the labor force equaled 62.8 percent of the 252,969,000 civilian noninstitutional population.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics counted 5,793,000 people in April as "persons who currently want a job," up from 5,712,000 in March.   

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for Hispanics increased to 6.1 percent in April, while the rates for adult men (4.6 percent), adult women (4.5 percent), teenagers (16.0 percent), Whites (4.3 percent), Blacks (8.8 percent), and Asians (3.8 percent) showed little or no change.

The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) declined by 150,000 to 2.1 million in April. These individuals accounted for 25.7 percent of the unemployed.

The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (also referred to as involuntary part-time workers) was about unchanged in April at 6.0 million and has shown little movement since November. These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment, were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.

In April, 1.7 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, down by 400,000 from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey.

Among the marginally attached, there were 568,000 discouraged workers in April, down by 188,000 from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.)  Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them. The remaining 1.1 million persons marginally attached to the labor force in April had not searched for work for reasons such as school attendance or family responsibilities."

The rest here:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/labor-force-participation-improves-americans-not-labor-force

mabel1015j

« Reply #2586 on: May 06, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »
Yes, Many employers are not hiring full-time employees so they don't have to pay benefits and many of those jobs are "women's jobs." Even though the use oftests and technologies are expanding mightily - GP's send their patients for tests so they won't be sued for missing something, or they get kick-backs from the testing agencies - very few of those jobs are full-time positions. I know a couple of young women who are conjuring up five days, or more, of work by working 2-3 days at one agency and 3-4 days at another, none of them are hiring 40 hr/wk employees.

Of course, we know Walmart hires few fulltime employees, also bcs they don't need to pay benefits. BRING BACK UNIONS. Let's stop thinking of unions as rip-offs and go back to thinking of them as advocates for employees.

Jean

MaryPage

PENDULUMS
« Reply #2587 on: May 09, 2016, 09:51:39 AM »
I agree.  We humans tend to go too far with any enthusiasm, and so it is that unions got too big and corrupt and controlling.  But life without unions would be a dreadful curse for the lower economic classes.  And so it is that the pendulum swings back and forth and forth and back over the centuries.  It is quite interesting to be 87 and have seen this.  Makes me ponder upon what I might have seen were I to live to be 187.  (Which I do not choose to do!)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #2588 on: May 09, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
Since Roosevelt I do not know of another president who actually made a difference in our lives - oh probably the motivation of Kennedy to go to the moon which brought so many by-products into our lives - maybe it is not so much the platform of all these presidents that did not improve our lives as much as the emphasis we now take under our wing since WWII of being a world leading nation - oh I forgot and took it for granted and that was the Domestic policies that Johnson brought to the average person in this country. Yes, I guess he did continue what Roosevelt started. We may like other presidents but they really never affected all of our lives from day break to day break.  Wars affected some positively and negatively - the same with Trade Agreements but I am talking the social issues that make our lives more productive with more opportunity for family security and advancement.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #2589 on: May 09, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »
Tra la... STLer who became Air Force's first female fighter pilot promoted to brigadier general - who happens to be my best friend who died last year, niece - Jeannie is a Flynn and Charlotte's niece.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/columns/joe-holleman/stler-who-became-air-force-s-first-female-fighter-pilot/article_cda21bca-8c65-5673-aa5b-41c70d0da87b.html

MaryPage

A GENERAL OFFICER!
« Reply #2590 on: May 09, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »
I had read about that, Barbara, and am thrilled.  I wish her complete success in her job.

bellamarie

« Reply #2591 on: May 10, 2016, 02:52:43 PM »
Jean,   
BRING BACK UNIONS. Let's stop thinking of unions as rip-offs and go back to thinking of them as advocates for employees.

The sad problem is that the unions no longer fight for the worker, they are lobbyists to politicians.  Backdoor deals are made that in no way help the employees.  IMO   

MaryPage, I am only in my early 60s and the changes I have seen in the past decade scares me, but what I am learning through reading and having access to more information is that nothing has really changed with how government works.  From the earliest of times even in FDR's day there were deals made behind closed doors.  Francis Perkins got little recognition for what she was responsible for as the U.S. Secretary of Labor, thus the first woman to hold a cabinet position in the United States.  I loved the book we discussed in here about her.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #2592 on: May 11, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »
Has anyone read -  The Evolutionary Journey of Woman: From the Goddess to Integral Feminism by Sarah Nicholson -

The Amazon blurb says, "The story of human evolution that we've been told is one built on the shoulders of male heroism, competition and dominance: but, what if it isn't the whole story?

This is the story of women's evolution. It traces women's rich contribution to human evolutionary history alongside the conditions of her oppression, and looks towards a future that integrates women's past wisdom with the full spectrum of present and future possibilities."

Sounds interesting - anxious to know if any of you have read it and what did you think

MaryPage

STRANGE WORLD WE INHABIT
« Reply #2593 on: May 14, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »
Wow!  Watching the news last night felt like "pinch me, I don't believe this is happening."  Like watching that second plane come towards the second tower back in 2001, which I did.

But listening to that tape of what was obviously Donald Trump speaking, ouch!  It was not only his voice (and surely they will put machines on it to prove it so), but it was his expressions.  So he scored with every famous woman who panted for him, except of course those he scorned.  And as soon as his divorce went through, he might or might not marry Marla Maples, but in the meanwhile, he was cheating on her with 3 regulars in addition to the famous one offs.  OMG!  Has the man no shame?

Well, there is NO WAY he is going to wiggle out of this one.  And yet he has the colossal temerity to attack Hillary for the womanizing HER HUSBAND did!  Like she did not suffer enough at the time, but now it is All Her Fault!  I tell you, men are weird, and the narcissistic locker room bully is the weirdest of them all, and the most dangerous.

bellamarie

« Reply #2594 on: May 14, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
I am just as concerned and frightened of Hillary Clinton.  So many dead bodies, so much cover up, so much scandal, so much money unaccountable for the Clinton Foundation, so many emails not turned over, so many lies about the four Americans killed in Benghazi.  I feel Hillary is just as narcissistic, and as much a bully as Trump. And now this new scandal... http://nypost.com/2016/05/13/clinton-charity-arranged-2m-pledge-to-company-owned-by-bills-friend/

I never felt sorry for Hillary because she and Bill had their sights set on a political/presidential goal and they were not going to let anything or anyone get in their way.  I think she knew all along he was a womanizer and didn't care as long as he advanced her political aspirations.

America is in deep trouble when all we have are these two candidates to choose from. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

MaryPage

IF YOU REPEAT LIES ENOUGH
« Reply #2595 on: May 14, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
What dead bodies?  And did not all those hearing about Libya turn up not so much as a hair of scandal regarding Hilliary?  God knows the Republicans tried to pin the terrorism on her!  So now they just do it by repeating all the disproved allegations over and over and over, hoping the words will permeate the brains of the public enough to make them feel uncomfortable about her.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #2596 on: May 14, 2016, 12:37:47 PM »
No there is a long list of over 20 dead bodies MaryPage that go back to White water and since - folks that were to testify that came up dead - not sure what is behind it but it is a troubling list. And then the mishandling and  scamming the money for Haiti that the regular media chose not to cover when Haitians - looked like at least 100s if not a thousand stormed her NYC campaign office a week or so ago.

I notice the east coast is not getting all the news we have been receiving in the middle of the country - comparing to both my sisters and my daughter who live in the Carolinas they are not getting the news we get and if you are not on face book you do not get all the news either - Benghazi I think is simply a political ploy but some of the other is not - plus over and over she speaks from her Sec of State stand and does come up pro-war in the middle east. It does feel like we are voting from the frying pan into the fire.

MaryPage

RUMORS, SCANDAL & SLANDERS
« Reply #2597 on: May 14, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Perhaps these things don't appear in the Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Boston Globe and New York Times, among other top quality newspapers, because they have investigated and found no truth to the stories.  There are ultra conservative billionaires who own most of the newspapers, radio stations and television channels all up and down the Midwest who just love to propagate anything anti-Clinton their staffs can put out there as questionable as though it were Gospel Truth.  Perhaps, and I am writing in their style of putting things now, but just perhaps it is all because their money could not buy either Clinton?

I would also suggest that it has been 24 years since Clinton was elected President.  A lot of people they will have known and worked with will have died in that time.  I find myself feeling as though I were stranded on a mountain alone against the elements, as almost all of my friends are dead now.

nlhome

« Reply #2598 on: May 14, 2016, 02:23:47 PM »
None of our politicians are squeaky clean, going back in history it's very clear. However, it seems to me that Donald Trump is given much more leeway than he should be given, when so much of what he's done and said is right out there. He lies and backtracks, and people just seem to say, "oh well, that's Donald" as if it doesn't matter.

Much of what Hillary has done is out there also, and some of it bad, but much of what the detractors say is innuendo and suggestion. That long list of supposed deaths? There's a lot of creativity in that story. Benghazi?  All those hearings, nothing proven, but history shows other administrations had similar, worse, events even.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #2599 on: May 14, 2016, 02:35:35 PM »
that is the problem - none of this is in the newspapers from the east coast however I see the various bits of information on BBC and the Guardian - neither of which have as they say, a dog in the fight - and I had not noted but will the news reports I see on Facebook - for me it is discouraging - I was looking forward to voting for Hillary but her campaign disappointed me with no vision for a better tomorrow and her solutions to havoc from the middle east she sees war as the answer as she shared in the debates - When I saw the photos of the Haitians outside her office I was taken back - I did not know what happened with Bill Clinton heading up the Haitian effort that the Haitians themselves were aware but it has been news for over a year that the funds did not go where they were intended - even the Nightly News Report on PBS had a blurb about that months ago - now the list of deaths, that would need some looking into because since the 4 deaths in Benghazi were on the list, that I do not agree is her doings therefore, the others I would want checked - in any event there is no white knight going to be elected this time.