Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870283 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2010, 04:35:24 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
I'm really sorry abou Dick Francis. Had no idea he was 89. I haven't read the ones he did with his son,as I suspected that I wouldn't like them, but I've read all the earlier ones, some several times.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »
Never cared much for Dick Francis but I am really sorry he has died..
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

winsummm

« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »
Dick Francis:  read them all except for the sons ones. did not know about them.   I liked them then, not so sure about it now. tastes change don't they.  Jim  Butcher series about a wizard in Chicago is interesting because lately  we've learned so much about the politics there.
thimk

horselover

« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2010, 11:31:53 PM »
This book is about the most adorable Indian detective and about India. It's the first and only so far, but I suspect there will be more:

The case of the missing servant : from the files of Vish Puri, India's "most private investigator" / Tarquin Hall. 

New York : Simon & Schuster, 2009.

Steph

« Reply #485 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:06 AM »
I was a fan of Dick Francis from day one. They always said his wife did the research, but whoever did it, they were very good. I love horse books and racing books.. so he was always a favorite.. Sid Halley was always good for a laugh.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #486 on: February 16, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »
Just completed Pharmaology Is Murder by Dirk Wyle.  This is the first in a five series so far.  A blurb on the author's website -         

"Wyle creates Ben as the playful idealized man: Mensa member; looks like Frankie Avalon; can fight like a pit bull; has a steady relationship with the beautiful Rebecca while tossing off adversaries with stumbling panache and outwitting the evil . . ."

It is an interesting and well written book.  I'm glad that I happened on the first in the series (by luck).  I intend to look for the others.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
HORSELOVER: that sounds like a great find! Since I just finished reading Kim, I'm just in the mood to read about India. (I promised I wouldn't order any more books, but ONE more wouldn't hurt!)

I'm completely bogged down in one of Laura Childs tearoom mysteries. There's nothing wrong with it -- I just can't get interested.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
And no one (as far as I know) has done mysteries with a pharmicist as detective. Is that what Wylie has done, FLAJEAN?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2010, 11:58:22 PM »
I certainly going to try to get
Pharmaology Is Murder by Dirk Wyle.  It appeals to me because of the Mensa connection .  My husband, Theron, belonged to Mensa.

Joan Grimes

Steph

« Reply #490 on: February 17, 2010, 05:59:53 AM »
I am reading an odd sort of mystery. Dog Gone It.. Written from the dogs point of view. Chet and Bernie.. Fun in its own way. I gather he has written a second one of these. Not sure I would want to read more than one. We will see.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #491 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »
I think I need to improve my typing  :D
The title is "Pharmacology Is Murder".  After working in the ME's office as a technician he becomes a pharmacology graduate student in the local University.  The author has a nice web page and tells you a little about each of his books.  http://www.dirk-wyle.com/

Steph

« Reply #492 on: February 18, 2010, 06:10:12 AM »
Finished Dog Gone It.. It has every peril known to dog and man in it.. I was reading it for a book club, but dont think I will read his second one.  I love some dog stories and some cat ones.. Loved Susan Conants dog mysteries.. Love Rita Mae Brown..

mabel1015j

« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »
Just picked up my first Donald Westlake mystery. Someone had mentioned Baby Would i Lie here sometime ago. I know this is a recent one, is it part of a series and should i read the series from the beginning, or doesn't it matter?...............jean

Steph

« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2010, 06:07:48 AM »
Westlake is like funny sometimes, but not always. He and Elmore Leonard. There are certain books they write that I love and the others, I cannot read at all. Strange.

Babi

« Reply #495 on: February 20, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
 I like Donald Westlake and he is a favorite with my son.  While there is
some continuity in the stories, I think you could enjoy them as singles.
As STEPH says, the funny ones are the best.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #496 on: February 20, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »
I loved Dog Gone It.  Maybe having cats my 'take' was more generous to the dog personna.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #497 on: February 21, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »
I wanted to like Dog Gone It. but didnt.. I am still trying to read the Robert Parker. I still cannot stay still for long periods.. Not even for a favorite author like him.

mrssherlock

« Reply #498 on: February 21, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »
Finished Skull Session by Daniel Hecht.  It has a totally shockeroo ending, way, way, way out in left field, but not deus ex machina.   Paul, he of the Tourette's. Lia, his GF, and Mark, his damaged 11-yr-old son, are never going to be the same again but I cared about their resiliance and love for each other.  Powerfully engaging despite the vivid portrayals of violence.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/daniel-hecht/skull-session.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #499 on: February 21, 2010, 02:38:46 PM »
STEPH: I know. It takes awhile. Parker will be waiting for you.

I've been so glued to the Olympics, I haven't read much. I enjoy them, but they're a bit much -- I wish they would spread them throughout the year.

Steph

« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »
Finished the Parker and he is putting together two of his characters, which is interesting. Both Sunny and the policechief as wounded solitaries.. They make perfect sense together.

Tomereader1

« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
This might better belong in the "Mystery" group, but since it now has a movie made from it, I guess it can go here too.  They have taken Dennis Lehane's "Shutter Island" and made it into a movie.  From the clips I have seen, they have used a "horror-type" theme, rather than the wonderful psychological thriller the book is.  I think I will wait till it appears on DVD to see it.  The book was good, but you had to pay attention, especially near the ending. ( orig. posted this is Books Into Movies)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
I loved the Book.. Shutter Island, but I agree that the previews look like horror to me and that is not a good category for me just yet. So I too will wait until DVD time. Plus I am not a Leonard fan.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #503 on: February 24, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
Susan Wittig Albert has a new China Bayles mystery "Holly Blues" coming out in April.  Our library has it on order and there are already 14 of us on the list.  And wouldn't you know it, I'm #14. :'(

Steph

« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2010, 06:10:05 AM »
Will keep my eyes open for the Albert. Is it a Herb one?? I do like those very much.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #505 on: February 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM »
Yes, China is the one who has a flower/herb shop and the interesting redheaded friend who runs the adjoining (New Age) shop.

Steph

« Reply #506 on: February 26, 2010, 06:07:39 AM »
I like those by Susan.. just dontlike the Robin Paige she does with her husband.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #507 on: February 26, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
The writing in the Robin Paige is stodgy, but the plots are interesting. I have one now I stuck half-way through, but mean to finish.

Thanks for recommending Tarquin Hall. I'm reading "The Case of the Missing Servant", and really enjoying it. He's trying to do for India what McCall Smith did for Zimbabwe in "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency".

I'm not sure I would enjoy it if I were Indian. The author is patronizing toward India, and doesn't redeem it, (as McCall Smith does) by obvious love for the country.

Steph

« Reply #508 on: February 27, 2010, 05:58:54 AM »
Only books I ever enjoyed about India.. The Godden sisters and a three or four book series about the beginnings of the independence period..

mrssherlock

« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »
Tomereader1 recommended The Bell Ringers (also known as The Dying Light) and I was paying attention.  This is a really good book about today's issues:  government, finance, spies, mysterious deaths.   Thanks, Tome, for the book and the new-to-me author. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/henry-porter/dying-light.htm
Jackie

Tomereader1

« Reply #510 on: February 27, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
I might out to warn you, mrssherlock, that you probably won't enjoy "The Brandenburg Gate" as much as Bell Ringers.  I didn't, but I perservered and finished it anyway.  It was too convoluted for my rapidly aging mind.  In other words, I had trouble following it.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #511 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »
Just finished The Poisoning in the Pub (A Feathering Mystery) by Simon Brett.  Didn't enjoy it as much as the previous books in this series.  The way Brett quickly summed up on the last page sounds like he is getting tired of the series and this might be the last in the series.

fairanna

« Reply #512 on: February 27, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »
Immersed in the Olympics to my eyebrows but did start a book by Mary Higgins Clark who I was enthralled with years ago  It is called Just take my heart >>has anyone read it > I am having a hard time getting into it...in fact a lot of mysteries are so gruesome i wont read them..think I will  go to the library and find some Mary Roberts Rinehart   or other past authors.. I know some I read more than once and it has been so long I am sure I would love them again..

Dick Francis I LOVED HIS BOOKS --and read at least one , perhaps the first one ,he wrote with his son. But the books just didnt have whatever Francis had when he wrote alone... I have a couple of new mysteries but havent had time to  even take a peek  Patterson's latest was not really a mystery ,,it was a crime story and a horrid one to boot... so if anyone likes him I will mail the book to you...I WONT FINISH IT>> wont even peek at the last page to see if it was ok..

the real mystery to me is "WHERE IS SPRING?" in the 38 years I have lived here I cant recall one winter that lasted past mid Feb and many times my plum tree was dressed in a debutants dress  mid February ..ah well so much for global warming...

My best to all  and hope wherever you live the best weather will arrive for you to enjoy GOD BLESS ...anna

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #513 on: February 27, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
I think I have mentioned before that I find Mary Higgins Clark creepy and I cannot read her books.  She gives me a creepy feeling all over and I cannot stand her.

Hi  Fair Anna.  I am searching for Spring too.  I think it is lost.

Joan Grimes

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #514 on: February 27, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
"WHERE IS SPRING?" HAH! I just saw the first sign of Spring. Not birds singing, or flowers blooming. GIRL SCOUT COOKIES. If thin mints come, can Spring be far behind?

Frybabe

« Reply #515 on: February 27, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »
 ;D

My daffodils and crocus are just peeking out of the ground, that is where the snow has melted off. Thank goodness the last snow storm stayed east of here.

Steph

« Reply #516 on: February 28, 2010, 06:09:02 AM »
Living in Florida, this constant cold is just too much. The dogs are close to hibernating. Their dog beds are in constant use.. I planted some herbs in my teeny little back area , thank heaven in pots.. So I can cover them, but my crotons in the front are quite dead. Darn. They are too large for me to get out. Will have to wait until one of mysons is up to pull them for me.
I dont like Mary Higgins Clark, but she does write to formula for sure.. All heroines in danger.

Babi

« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2010, 08:53:33 AM »
ANNA, Dick Francis didn't write alone. Before his wife's death, she was
his researcher, critic, and perhaps contributor. His books were never
quite the same after she died, but still enjoyable.

JOANK   ;D

I'm reading Fairstein's  "Lethal Legacy", recommended here. I have a
Jan Burke waiting in the wings. After that, I'll probably want a good
sci-fi again.  Hopefully, Shinn's "Archangel", if my elder daughter brings it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

fairanna

« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
Babi I am not surprised that Francis's wife HELPED  she probably  PUSHED HIM TO WRITE ....Behind every successful man is a woman pushing ...sorry I needed a good laugh this am..and my  daffies are about 4 inches above ground but the flowers show no sign of life  ..which upsets me since I did plant many new  ones in the fall...take care ...I know one thing Clarks book is just not pushing me to read ...perhaps her formula becomes OLD after awhile and one just feels indifferent to her "charm"....have a great day and hope spring  is NEAR   Now there is a mystery for you  WHY IS SPRING SO LATE THIS YEAR >>? Once when I was six it did snow on May 1 st but was gone by noon...anna

mrssherlock

« Reply #519 on: February 28, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »
Somewhere the author, Ann Bridge, came up and my library had her in the catalog.  Well, if you are looking for old fashioned mystery with good characterization and great sense of place, this is the author to search for.  in The Portuguese Escape Hungary is still occupied by the Russians.  Can the escape of an eminent theologian be successful?  His former 22-yr-old cook, now reunited with her Countess mother in Portugal, is recruited by the Brit spy network to identify Father Antal when he arrives from Mardrid on his way ultimately to the US. Read this one like you would read Jane Austen; it is another age with different social mores and technology is a word never uttered outside the lecture halls of MIT.  So, for a romantic mystery with little overt violence, charming characters, and a fantastic desire to move to Portugal, this is well worth the few hours it takes to read.  Bridge wrote other books, and a lead character in this one appeared in an earlier novel; which I've got on reserve; you may want to start with Lighthearted Quest which introduces Julia Probyn, journalist with ties to MI whatever in the British spy hierarchy.  The pace is slow but it is well worth the trip.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/ann-bridge/
Jackie