Author Topic: Kristin Lavransdatter  (Read 83050 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Kristin Lavransdatter
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2015, 07:09:35 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

April/May Book Club Online

Kristin Lavransdatter
by Sigrid Undset

This Nobel prize-winning book is the tumultuous story of the daughter of a 14th century Norwegian nobleman-farmer.

I loved it when I first read it decades ago, and now there’s a new translation which makes it even better.

Schedule: April 21-25  Jørundgaard, Chapters 1-4
          April 26-30 Jørundgaard, Chapters 5-7
          May 1 or 2-?, The Wreath, Chapters 1-3

Questions:

Jorundgaard
Chapters 5-7:
How much control did young people have over who they married?
Why can't Kristin and Arne even think of marrying?
Kristin doesn't much want to marry Simon.  Why didn't she ask her father to release her from the betrothal?
After her encounter with Bentein, Kristin made some mistakes that made her more vulnerable to gossip.  Should she have avoided these?
What do you think of Simon?
In the fuss over Arne's death, Simon behaves very capably and sensibly.  Why does his calmness make Kristin like him less?

The Wreath:
Chapters 1-3

Kristin seems to fall for Erlend instantly and completely.  Does this this seem realistic?  Does Erlend feel the same way?
What is Erlend like?  Can you like or approve of him?
What is the oath the two swear to each other after the dance?  Is it binding?

Discussion Leader: PatH

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2015, 07:10:42 PM »
Ginny, welcome, welcome.  I'm so glad you could carve out enough time to read with us.

The introduction includes a plot summary, so don't read it unless you don't mind spoilers.  That's probably why you didn't read it.

You raise so many good points:

Did  Undset research it a lot and this is how she really found it?
 Undset was steeped in this time.  Her father was a distinguished archaeologist, she shared his interest in the past, and she read the sagas as a child, later saying that they were "the most important turning point in my life".  There's tons of written material from the time.  And her Nobel Prize citation says: "principally for her powerful descriptions of Northern life during the Middle Ages".  So I think we can assume her description of the life is pretty accurate.  It doesn't seem so strange to me, because I've read more from that time or earlier, but it seems more North than Middle Ages to me.

Fru Aashild feels she's the equal of anybody because in a way, she is.  She is of exalted, almost royal lineage, socially above anybody else we've met so far, but she's messed up her standing by doing some disreputable things, and also lost all her money.

More later.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
Kristin is growing up, and facing a whole new set of issues and emotions.  What is your impression of this section?

bellamarie

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2015, 01:47:40 PM »
Oh my heavens!   So much has happened in these chapters.  Where to begin?  In just one decision, Kristin, Arne, and their entire families lives have been changed forever.  What will become of Kristin now? 

How much control did young people have over who they married?

It appears the young had no control over who they would marry, although, their actions could have a huge effect, even if they have been promised to someone.

http://www.dfwx.com/medieval_cult.html

In the middle ages marriages were done by arrangement. Women were not allowed to choose who they wanted to marry. However, sometimes men were able to choose their bride. Marriage was not based on love. Husbands and wives were generally strangers until they first met. If love was involved at all it came after the couple had been married. Even if love did not develop through marriage, the couple generally developed a friendship of some sort. The arrangement of marriage was done by the children's parents. In the Middle Ages children were married at a young age. Girls were as young as 12 when they married, and boys as young as 17. The arrangement of the marriage was based on monetary worth. The family of the girl who was to be married gives a dowry,or donation, to the boy she is to marry. The dowry goes with her at the time of the marriage and stays with the boy forever (Renolds).

After the marriage was arranged a wedding notice was posted on the door of the church. The notice was put up to ensure that there were no grounds for prohibiting the marriage. The notice stated who was to be married, and if anyone knew any reasons the two could not marry they were to come forward with the reason. If the reason were a valid one the wedding would be prohibited (Rice).

There were many reasons for prohibiting a marriage. One reason was consanguinity, if the two were too closely related. If the boy or the girl had taken a monastic or religious vow the marriage was also prohibited. Sometimes widows or widowers took vows of celibacy on the death of their spouse, and later regretted doing so when they could not remarry. Other reasons which also prohibited marriage, but were not grounds for a divorce, were rape, adultery, and incest. A couple could also not be married during a time of fasting, such as lent or advent. Nor could a couple be married by someone who had killed someone (Rice).

Does Simon have legal grounds to back out of the betrothal, and will he?  His family may have much to say, once they learn of all that has taken place.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2015, 05:14:10 PM »
Does Simon have legal grounds to back out of the betrothal, and will he?  His family may have much to say, once they learn of all that has taken place.He's not acting like he wants to back out, and he believes her account, which means that nothing happened that would call for backing out.

Thanks for the details of arranged marriages.  Some note I read said that by the time of the story a legal marriage required the woman's formal consent.  Of course, family pressures being what they are, in some cases she still wouldn't really have a choice.

bellamarie

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
PatH., You are correct in saying Simon does not seem to want to back out, but my concern is how is his family going to feel?  So, thus I ask does he have grounds to back out?  The article states rape as legal cause to back out.

Kristin said she was not sure what actually did happen.  Pg. 84. "But he threw me down on the ground, I say__I scarce know myself what he did or did not do__I was beside myself; I can remember naught__for all I know it may be as Inga says__I have not been well nor happy a single day since__"

Simon is determined to convince Kristen nothing happened.  "Any but the evil-minded, who would fain think ill rather than good, can see by her eyes that she is a maid, and no woman."

I have some hesitation with Simon's motives for wanting to still marry Kristen, and is leaping at the thought of sending her to the convent.  These statements gave me pause:  

"Methinks you love Kristen__?"  Simon laughed a little and did not look at Lavrans.  "Be sure, I know her worth__and yours, too," he said quickly and shamefacedly, as he got up and took his ski.  "None that I have ever met would I sooner wed with__"

Call it instinct, but I just am not comfortable with how Simon is so quick to dismiss nothing happened, when even Kristin seems not to be certain.  He did not confirm his love, he confirmed their "worth."
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Halcyon

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2015, 07:41:54 PM »
"Methinks you love Kristen__?"  Simon laughed a little and did not look at Lavrans.  "Be sure, I know her worth__and yours, too," he said quickly and shamefacedly, as he got up and took his ski.  "None that I have ever met would I sooner wed with__"

Nunnery's translation is a bit different..."You are fond of Kristin, I think.  Simon laughed a little but did not look at Lavrans.  "You must know that I have great affection for her__and for you as well," Simon said brusquely, and then he stood up and put on his skis.  "I have never met any maiden I would rather marry."

Sounds like he's met quite a few maidens.  And I wonder if they are still maidens?  I agree with Bellamarie.  He's not to be trusted, too controlling. 

bellamarie

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2015, 01:53:26 AM »
Yes, indeed Simon has met many a maidens, as he states talking about sending Kristin to the convent:

pg. 86 " Send her to the Sisters of Oslo for a year__there will she learn how folk talk one of the other out in the world.  I know a little of some of the maidens who are there,"  he said laughing.  "They would not throw themselves down and die of grief if two mad yonkers tore each other to pieces for their sakes.  Not that I would have such an one for wife__but methinks Kristin will be none the worse for meeting new folks."

Simon seems to be completely insensitive to what Kristin has gone through.  He does not even seem to respect the fact she is feeling guilty, and grieving over Arne, her best friend since childhood is dead, from defending her honor.  Maybe Simon knew Kristin and Arne had feelings for each other and he is glad he is dead, afterall, he knows Kristin did go out in the night to meet with Arne, and Arne's mother accuses her of not thinking he was good enough for her.  No, I'm not ready to put any trust or faith in Simon, just yet.

I am really liking my Archer translation much more than the Nunnally, as I see the comparisons.  I feel Nunnally has changed the perception, especially in the statements Halycon and PatH., have provided.  I could clearly see how we could be reading the same book, but the different author's translations, changing words, adding words, or leaving words out, can give an entirely different interpretation to the reader.   

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »
I have a mixed reaction to Simon.  In his favor, he totally believes Kristin's account of what happened.  But just as you start to like him, he says something like the snippy remark My mother used to say that if you play with the cottager's children, in the long run you'll end up with lice in your hair, and there's some truth to that."  And he doesn't seem to realize how upsetting the incident is to Kristin.

Halcyon

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »
Were maidens and women sent to convents regularly just to get away from their troubles?  Was there an expectation that they would eventually stay and become nuns?

The discussion about whether or not there was a choice as to whom one could marry reminded me of an earlier section when Kristin is watching the monk paint and he asks if she will give herself to the Church.  She implies that she will marry since she is the only one and that her mother has already started saving things for her dowry.  She grew up with the notion that was what was expected of her.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
Were maidens and women sent to convents regularly just to get away from their troubles?  Was there an expectation that they would eventually stay and become nuns?
Maidens could be sent to a convent to be educated, with no expectation that they would become nuns.  Presumably sometimes the real reason was to get away from some trouble.

At first I wondered, wouldn't Kristin's going away just make the gossip worse?  But I checked out the timetable.  The gossip started in the fall, and Kristin didn't go away until Easter, so if she had been in trouble, it would have been obvious by then.

bellamarie

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »
Yes, PatH., I too have mixed feelings where Simon is concerned.  He can come off as an insensitive cad.

Halcyon,  I tried to Google expectations of girls entering the convent in the 14th century, but came up short.  It did lead me to our book, which I did not want to read about, since I felt it could be a spoiler.  I am assuming, yes, daughters were placed in convents who were troubled, or did not want to marry, or were actually wanting to give their lives up to the church.  I had a sister in law who was in a convent, back in the 1950s and her experiences were not pleasant.  She decided to leave, and not complete her vows to become a nun.  

Simon's comment, " I know a little of some of the maidens who are there,"  he said laughing." gave me pause, and made me wonder if men went to the convent, and possibly used the "maidens" for sex?  He says they would not be any he would want for a wife.  

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
We'll find out a lot more about the convent in the next section.  It was totally respectable.  Simon probably knew the girls socially, as some were from his class of people.

bellamarie

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
In the fuss over Arne's death, Simon behaves very capably and sensibly.  Why does his calmness make Kristin like him less?

I liked Simon less as well, and I can only say my instincts kicked in and said,  Whoa....something does not feel right here.  When he took it upon himself to inform Ragnfrid, before Kristin could, I thought how dare him, this seemed way out of line.  

pg. 84 "It was Simon who told Ragnfrid of what had happened in the corpse-chamber at Brekken the night before.  He did not make more of it than he needs must.  But Kristin was so mazed with sorrow and night-waking that she felt a senseless anger against him because he talked as if it were not so dreadful a thing after all.  Besides it vexed her sorely that her father and mother let Simon behave as though he were master in the house.

What gave him that right?  I was so upset when I read this.  For some reason Simon refuses to accept just how devastating a thing this was.  I did not see him acting capable or sensible.  His calmness seems strange to me.  This is the girl he is betrothed to, who could have been raped, and he acts like she stumbled and bumped her toe.

PatH.,  Good point on the timeline of the incident taking place, and Kristin entering the convent.  At least we can assume she did not get pregnant, if indeed the rape occurred, which Kristin never fully established, one way or the other, since she felt she was in too much shock to recall everything that did, or did not take place.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Simon is very controlling. he not only acts as if he owns the place, when he tells Kristen's father he shouldn't have let Kristen associate with Arne, you know he's going to assume he can tell Kristen who to associate with after they're married.

I wonder if he makes so little of what happened to Kristen because he's tried a few things like that himself when he was drunk, and wants to believe that it's all just fun and games. What a jerk!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »
"After her encounter with Bentein, Kristin made some mistakes that made her more vulnerable to gossip.  Should she have avoided these?"

I wondered at the time why she went to Bentein's mother, instead of her own. I think because she wanted to  be angry (rather than have her mother be angry with her) and thought Bentein's mother would bring her some justice by punishing her son.

Unfortunately, she turned out to be one of those mothers who wanted to punish the other person whenever her little darling got into trouble. I had a neighbor like that when my kids were little. I always wondered how "little darling" turned out. I hope better than Bentein.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
Kristin wasn't trying to go to Bentein's mother, she was trying to go to the priest, Sira Eirik, and it was her bad luck that he wasn't home and she got Bentein's mother instead.  Bentein is Sira Eirik's grandson, and his mother does housekeeping in Sira Eirik's house.  Priests had only recently been forbidden to marry in Norway, and the villagers were tolerant of the priest having had children by his housekeeper.  Indeed, Kristin should have gone to her mother.

I don't think a rape occurred.  The account is clear on the point, but Kristin was in enough shock to be unclear about what happened.

Halcyon

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
Simon is very controlling. he not only acts as if he owns the place, when he tells Kristen's father he shouldn't have let Kristen associate with Arne, you know he's going to assume he can tell Kristen who to associate with after they're married.

JoanK  I also wondered if he was going to be of those who treated you kindly and then used your misfortune against you.  If, after they marry (if they do) he will try to blame her for what happened and use that to control her even more.  Such as "Who else would marry you?  You're damaged goods."

bellamarie

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Halcyon,  I thought that same thing.  Simon could use this to shame Kristin, once they are married.  I don't think she will ever marry him.  Her first instincts were not at all liking of him.  Arne showed Kristin what a loving husband would be like when he so sweetly put his head in her lap, and talked of what it would be like to be married to him.  Kristin going to the convent hopefully will prevent her from marrying Simon.  I just hope he does not go to the convent and try to force himself on her.  I do suspect he has gone to the convent before, and possibly helped himself to the "maidens" there.

PatH.,  I agree, I don't think the rape actually occurred, because of what Kristin says here:  "Bentein had not failed altogether__ he had wrought scathe to the maidenhood of her spirit."

Inga sure tried to make it seem as though Bentein had sex with Kristin, and she shamed Kristin, blaming her for it all.

pg.  80 "Ay, take my life then, Lavrans, since she has taken all my comfort and joy__ and make her wedding with this knight's son; but yet do all folk know that she was wed with Bentein upon the highway...Here..." and she cast the sheet Lavrans had given her right across the bier to Kristin, "I need not Ragnfrid's linen to lay my Arne in the grave__make head-cloths of it, you, or keep it to swaddle your roadside brat__" 

Where did Inga get her information from?  It had to be Gunhild, Bentein's mother who attended to Kristin that night. 

pg.  72  Then again came the thought, she must not be seen at home as she was; and so it came into her mind that she would go to Romundgaard.  She would complain to Sira Eirik.  But the priest had not come back yet from Jorundgaard.  In the kitchen-house she found Gunhild, Bentein's mother; the woman was alone, and Kristin told her how her son had dealt with her.  But that she had gone out to meet Arne she did not tell her.  When she saw that Gunhild thought she had been at Laugarbru, she left her to think so. 

Gunhild said little, but wept a great deal while she washed the mud off Kristin's clothes and sewed up the worst rents.  And the girl was so shaken she paid no need to the covert glances Gunhild cast on her now and then.

Gunhild had to have told Inga, and she did it out of spite, wanting to harm Kristin, for her harming her son Bentein.

JoanK., I agree, Gunhild was not going to acknowledge the wrong her son had done.  She decided  to make Kristin out to be the flirt and tease.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »
The music of Hildegard von Bingen, Benedictine abbess, writer, composer, philosopher, and visionary who composed this music about 140 years before the story of Kristin Lavransdatter takes place however, the music Kristin would have heard.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dehwp_dRlYQ?feature=player_embedded
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »
Thanks for the music, Barb.  I've been listening to it as I did my chores.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2015, 11:56:23 PM »
For years I have followed Britt-Arnhild's website - she lives in the outskirts of Trondheim, Norway and she is in charge of the diocese of Nidaros´website.

Britt-Arnhild (all one word) does a lot of traveling and on this current site if you catch it quickly is three days of photos that include her visit to Britain where she went to see the 1000 tear bottles in Chichester Cathedral - just beautiful - both Chichester and Nidaros were built during the Middle Ages - unfortunately the Nidaros website is in Norwegian however, on Britt-Arnhild's website along the side in a light gray are the links to her many topics - she has been blogging on this site for years, improving her English language skills every year - find the one that says Nidaros Cathedral and keep scrolling past the current posts picturing the scaffolding for the work on the spire and there you'll find many more photos and then if you hit my church there is more.

http://www.brittarnhildshouseinthewoods.typepad.com/
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »
Gorgeous photos, Barb.  Thanks.  I particularly liked the church as seen through trees and gravestones in the cemetery.

It's time to move on; it looks like we've said about what we're going to about this section, though we can continue to talk about it.

The next section, The Wreath, flows along as one connected interval, but it's 90 pages, unwieldy to make one chunk.  Let's read the first 3 chapters now, and in just a few days add in the rest of the section.  Tomorrow I'm flying to Portland, OR, and today I'm packing, so I won't be around much, but once I get there tomorrow midday, I have good internet access and plenty of time.

bellamarie

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
Thank you Barb, for the beautiful music and pictures!

Excited to move on and see what happens once Kristin is in the convent.  Safe travels PatH.

bellamarie

« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »
So now that Kristin is in the convent, we have a better idea of what it is like and the expectations.  Halycon asked earlier if the girls who went to the convent were expected to become nuns.  Well, from what I can see that is not necessarily the case since they have maidens who wear the nun habits in public, showing their intentions of becoming nuns , and then you have the other maidens who wear their regular nice clothes out in public to show they are not intended to become nuns.

pg.  And those young maids who were at the convent only to learn, and were not to take the veil, had leave to go with them and dance in the evening; therefore at this feast they wore their own clothes and not the convent habit.

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised at how much freedom the girls were given at the festival.  Even though they were chided for being out late, due to the chaos when the pards were running loose, when they went shopping, it seemed when they were at the festival they were allowed to not only talk and dance with anyone they wanted to, but were allowed to sleep overnight outside, amongst those men who had gotten drunk and fallen asleep. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »
HALCYON: I was surprised by that, too. it's asking for trouble. And Kristen may be about to get into trouble with a troubled young man.

She has already been assaulted twice, in the space of a few years of being a young woman. At that rate, it's a wonder any woman managed to live without being raped at least once!

PatH is flying across the country today, but I'll bet we hear from her soon. Meanwhile, I wonder if they celebrate May Day in Kristen's Norway.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2015, 03:14:33 PM »
I asked google, and got many descriptions of May 17th, their independence day, or constitution day. celebrating their independence from Denmark in 1814.

bellamarie

« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
JoanK.,  As I think about the two situations of Kristin being assaulted, both times she made decisions that put herself in harms way.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying I blame her for these attacks.  Bentein, and the man in the woods, were completely in the wrong.  I am just pointing out that I think her judgement of going off to meet Arne, and running further into the woods was something she must learn from, as far as safety is concerned.  I do think many assaults against women did occur.  That being said, I think this is one of the reasons women were not to go out alone.

Now, Kristin is trusting in the smooth talker Erlend, and this could prove to be yet one more bad choice, that could bring her much pain.  The fact he has history of getting another girl pregnant twice, and he was looked upon as whoredom, should be a red flag for Kristin.  I realize he says he is attempting to make right his wrongs, and win favor back from the King by going off to war, so why then does he sleep with Kristin, and possibly get her pregnant out of wedlock, bringing shame to her?  This is showing a pattern in his behavior.  Again, Kristin sneaks off into the day and night to meet a man, allowing him to kiss her and woe her, as she did with Arne.  She too, is showing a pattern in her behavior.  I realize she is young and impressionable, but she does know right from wrong.  She has been sent to the convent to spare her and her family shame, yet here she is putting herself in a situation that may only cause her, her family and the convent shame.  I want to hope Erlend is sincere, but my gut tells me there is a whole lot of heartache ahead.

Halcyon

« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »
I just don't know what to think. Convent life for maidens is not at all as I imagined. I can't imagine Kristin's father agreeing to a match with Erlend. And what are Erlend's intentions?  I hope he's for real.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2015, 08:37:11 PM »
Kristin's life is that of a sort of student, not a postulate, but she certainly seems to be rather poorly supervised.  It was against the rules for Kristin and Ingebjorg to go into town to shop unsupervised, but Ingebjorg talked Sister Potentia into it.  And after the dance, the people from the convent all slept together in a guest house, but obviously nobody counted noses.

Flavia

• tamen, perseveravit
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2015, 12:22:09 AM »
i am in Ginny's Latin Class. i just noticed you were doing Kristen Lavransdottir.
i know it is late but i would like to join in if i can find the time. I read the book as a child, it was one of my mother's favorites. I loved it and I have read it again 3 or 4 times in the last 55 years. I am probably ready for another read. i have my original copy.

Halcyon

« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2015, 07:59:39 AM »
Xine48  Welcome.  After reading it so many times your take will be interesting.  Interesting how we save those childhood books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
Welcome, Xine48.  We'd love to have you join us.  Since you've already read the book, the discussion will make sense, and you can join in as much or as little as you want while you catch up.

As you notice, we divide a book up into chunks, and concentrate on one section at a time.  We can still go back and talk about older sections, but we try not to talk ahead, to avoid spoilers for those who haven't read the book.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
YEAH, XINE! Jump right in!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »
We got some more clues about costumes here.  Kristin has a purple-blue velvet gown, and one that's blue with red birds on it.  And the shifts show in the deep slit in the front of the bodice, so her yellow silk shift with it's decoration will be noticed.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2015, 09:28:16 PM »
Welcome welcome Xine

Been reading about French Salons and came across this that I think helps us better understand Kristin - "Prior to the Age of Enlightenment, people did not feel they deserved to be happy. The pursuit of happiness is an Enlightenment idea.

Another concept that we take for granted today is that knowledge, or science can, and should make our lives better. Still another legacy of The Enlightenment is that we should trust reason and not superstitions and prejudices.

The Age of Enlightenment is a period of history intrinsically French in its origins but predominately American in its impact."

Suggesting that we, in American think the pursuit of our individual happiness is to be valued and that trusting our reason to the degree of making light, if not making fun, of superstition and in addition we do what we can to eradicate prejudices. All these concepts just since the seventeenth century while the story is about folks living in the early fourteenth century.

It is difficult to get into their shoes but some of us remember our grandparents who were closer to their work and getting ahead, who thought happy was not an expectation and superstition was the cause of most illness with prayer the cure - there was no penicillin and aspirin had only been available since 1899.

At the time of this story the world was not round and it was held up by a variety of explanations according the local folklore and the sky was a protective bowl that when it rained that meant it had sprung a leak. A heavy rain was a fearful experience. To really wrap our heads around the concept of a flat earth held up by turtles or little men or giants is so beyond anything we can truly imagine that everyone actually believed it.

If marriage was an arranged contract that had little to do with love than what was sex - surely not an expression of love - as to girls it would seem all the protection was about protecting the father's property and if you got into the good graces of the father his protection could either loosen or you could become the owner of that property by spoiling what had been protected.  Other books I have read suggested that girls were in convents for safety from marauding warriors and enemy soldiers which did not include thinking that girls needed protection from local lads.

I am thinking because no where did I read, that local lads could be made to marry where as marauders and soldiers passed through with no concept of settling down or that a dad could demand the continued protection of the girl plus, it would mean their girl-child would be carried away if a marriage was the answer.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »
Prior to the Age of Enlightenment, people did not feel they deserved to be happy.
  Interesting point, Barb.  Duty, obligations, and doing what was needed to survive were all-important.  Life wasn't easy.  But, deserved or not, surely people must have tried for happiness.  I think I'll look back in the sagas for clues, but they tend to deal more with actions than feelings.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2015, 11:18:40 AM »
We've been talking about costumes, and I find it's not hard to imagine the women in the costumes of the time, but I have trouble with the men.  Armor, for instance.  Arne is wearing a helmet and leather breastplate when he says goodbye to Kristin, but I can't quite see it.  Lavrans must have worn armor when he served the King, but I don't see him that way; I can barely see him on his horse, with the huge protecting leather glove with a hawk perched on it.

Halcyon

« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2015, 11:25:55 AM »
Bellamarie  As I think about the two situations of Kristin being assaulted, both times she made decisions that put herself in harms way.

i too think Kristin needs to learn from her experiences but I also think she was very sheltered and is very naive to the ways of the world.  She also seems somewhat of a tomboy wanting to travel with her father and, indeed, she is much closer to her father than her mother.  It seems she has always played with boys growing up and has no reason to distrust them until the incident with Bentein.  Erland is very charming and experienced but I didn't get the impression they had sex.  Did they?  The first sexual awakenings are very powerful and could easily drive right and wrong out of Kristin's head.

bellamarie

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »
Welcome  Xine48, it is good to have someone who is so familiar with Kristin Lavransdatter.  May I ask which translation you have, is it the Archer or Nunnally?  I have the Archer and uploaded a sample of the Nunnally, and find the Archer translation much more able to set the era of the time.  

So what does everyone think of Kristin falling in love with Erlend?  It is quite interesting he is relation to Lady Aashild.  He seemed to be informing Kristin of the family's dirty laundry, so to speak.  She says her parents protected them from knowing too much.  Why do you suppose he felt it necessary to tell her these things?  

pg. 116 "Then all doors are not barred against Bjorn and Aashild?" asked Erlend.  Kristin said they were thought much of, and that her father and many with him deemed that most of the tales about these two were untrue.  "How liked you my kinsman, Munan Baardson?"  asked Erlend, laughing silly.  "I looked not much upon him,"  said Kristin, "and methought, too, he was not much to look on."  "Knew you not," asked Erlend, "that he is her son?"  "Son to Lady Aashild!"  said Kristin, in great wonder.  "Ay, her children could not take their mother's fair looks, though they took all else," said Erlend.  "I have never known her first husband's name," said Kristin.  "They were two brothers who wedded two sisters,"  said Erlend.  "Baard and Nikulaus Munanson. My father was the elder, my mother was his second wife, but he had no children by his first.  Baard, whom Aashild wedded, was not young either, nor, I trow, did they ever live happily together__ay, I was a little child when all this befell, they hid from me as much as they could...But she fled the land with Sir Bjorn and married him against the will of her kin__when Baard was dead.  Then folk would have had the wedding set aside__they made out that Bjorn had sought her bed while her first husband was still living, and that they had plotted together t put away my father's brother.  'Tis clear they could not bring this home to them, since they had to forfeit all their estate__Bjorn had killed their sister's son, too__my mother's and Aashild's, I mean__"  

Kristin's heart beat hard.  At home her father and mother had kept strict watch that no unclean talk should come to the ears of their children or young folk__but still, things had happened in their own parish and Kristin had heard of them__a man had lived in adultery with a wedded woman.  That was whoredom, one of the worst sins; 'twas said they plotted the husband's death, and they brought with it outlawry and the Church's ban."

Now she came to think, too, it seemed strange Erlend should think it fit to tell such tales of his near kin.  But like enough he deemed she knew it already.

Did anyone feel the ballad Sivord the Dane sang, reminded you of the story Erlend had shared with Kristin?  Does it also give you a strange feeling this to is what Erlend in intending for Kristin?  To lead her from her family, taking her from Simon, who she has been betrothed to?  

Barb, I imagine many women ended up in marriages of betrothal, or other situations that denied them true happiness.  Was happiness considered a folly, back in these ages?  Kristin seems so very happy, and in love with Erlend, yet I feel heartbreak is to become her.

Barb,  
If marriage was an arranged contract that had little to do with love than what was sex - surely not an expression of love

I'm not so sure I agree with, sex not being an expression of love.  I feel Kristin, with Erlend is experiencing real feelings, she would consider love.  He, I worry is taking advantage of her. For men, I feel sex was and still is an act of lust, something that satisfies their carnal need.  Not that all men have sex for only that purpose, but it sure seems back in those days many men either took it by force, or simply because they were betrothed and married to the woman, regardless if they loved each other or not.

Halcyon,  We were posting at the same time.  pg. 120  When he put his hands upon her breast, she felt as though he drew her heart from out her bosom; he parted the folds of silk ever so little and laid a kiss betwixt them__ it sent a glow into her inmost soul.  

Kristin then falls asleep in his arms and awakens, and from the promise they make to each other, I sensed the act had been committed. If not, it sure came close to it, considering the way she allowed herself to be caressed and kissed, by him.