Author Topic: The Library  (Read 142162 times)

mrssherlock

Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the wind and rain and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

CSPAN will probably cary the hearings when Sotomayor appears before the Senate Judiciary Committee.  It was fascinating to watch some of the Obama Cabinet hearings.  Sen. Sessions, R ranking member,  was denied an appointment to federal bench and has vowed never to submit anyone to the ordeal he experienced.  
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Deems

« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »

Yes, Jackie, and I'm looking forward to the hearings.  I watched some of the ones for Alito and Roberts--was teaching at the time so I missed a number of days.  But some channel reran parts at night, must have been C-Span.  I think July is the time for the Sotomayor hearings, but I'm not sure.  Unusual for Washington to work in the summer, but August is definitely out.  The town empties out in August.

Steph

« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2009, 07:48:04 AM »
I dislike and wont watch reality shows. They are anything but as far as I am concerned. So many sad people who think they are a star..
I remember many many years ago.. My husband was in the army (drafted) and we were really newly weds. Went to Columbia , SC and looked for a job.. My second interview was a man who had a small chain of barbecue places.. I came from a little town in Delaware and did not realize how protected a life I had led until this leering horrible little man, fat, bad breaths and ugly leaned into me and giggled and whispered the type of duties that were included as a bookkeeper. I was out of there... Oh wow.. still gives me cold shivers..all these years. What a baby I was.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »
Oh, that's something else entirely, DEEMS. Those hearings are history in the making.
I admit I don't watch many of them, since I am one of those who learn best by reading
rather than hearing.
  MARJIFAY, your post reminded me of a story of my ex-husband's. He was an inveterate joker, not always in the best of taste. Once he entered a copy room and found an attractive young co-worker there. So he shut the door and went into a villainous "Aha! At last I have you alone!"  The girl screamed at the top of her lungs, scaring my ex half to death.  She was having hysteria while he was protesting that he was only joking. Needless to say, he didn't try that 'joke' again.

STEPH, what an ugly experience.  I can't imagine a prospective employer  acting like that in an interview.  Usually the predatory types like to
wait until their prey is actually hired an working, then start insinuating 'overtime'.
He'd have a hard time filling that job.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
Funny stories, Babi and Steph.  Altho' your experience must have been  scary and repugnant at the time as a naive young girl, Steph.  I had a propsective employer imply such, saying "Well, ANYONE can type and take shorthand."  Ugh.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »
Actually I ended up with a delightful job as a bookkeeper, etc for an entertainment chain. Movies, Bowling alleys,pinball stuff.. The man ended up hiring and marrying eventually the darndest female..I guess he was just ready to be horrid. I did find out that he was crude at best.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
I have a feeling I know who that is. And if it IS who I think it is, his ways earned him a comeuppance in another area.

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Steph

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2009, 11:15:59 AM »
Ginny, You just might. He had a chain all over South Carolina, but mostly in Columbia. Horrid nasty little person. The problem for me was I was so innocent, I thought I had caused it somehow..
Loved my job that I got however. Those guys owned movies and bowling alleys, etc all over South Carolina. I worked out of the bowling alley in Columbia, Star Lanes ( think its gone now) and also handled the cash from the movies, etc. Learned just how dirty money is at that point. I handled thousands each week and loved it.

Babi

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2009, 08:12:10 AM »
My first job was part-time while I was in college. I worked for a company that
did investigations for insurerers and people like that.  I was a clerk-typist, not an investigator, but the stories they came back with were highly entertaining.
Like the investigator who was invited to step inside by a young woman, only to
have an older woman reach past her, latch the screen door, and say "Nobody
comes in here 'less he pays his $10. first."
 ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2009, 07:38:38 AM »
Oh Babi, I loved it.. I can just see the face.. Our younger son when he first graduated from college got a job for a national company that deals in insurance fraud ( he had a criminal justice and history degree). He was given a black van, outfitted with all sorts of equipment and he traveled all over checking out people all over the US who had gone to work at Disney and then.. surprise surprise,, gotten terribly injured the first month of work or so.. He had some truly hysterical stories about watching the injured,, pick up furniture, go bowling,etc etc.

Babi

« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
  It seems everyone who deals with the public has some hilarious, or frustrating, stories to tell.  All three of my kids have work that brings them in contact with the public, and the stories they tell each other have us either laughing or, in my case, exclaiming that 'no one can be that dumb'! 

ALF43

« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2009, 01:31:18 PM »
This is one of those questions that I probably will be sorry that I asked.  A friend, on her way out of town, dropped me off a book and said "Andy, this is right up your alley, read it and I'll get it when I return home in a few weeks." 
The name of the book is The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.  I have never heard her mention this story, nor have I ever heard of the writer-- so-o-o... I am wondering what does this woman think is my "thing", my taste in Literature?
  That will be the most interesting facet of reading this book- to see if it truly IS right up my alley.  Good thing she's left town. ::)

Has anyone read this novel?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

joyous

« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »

ALF: Go to #612 in the Fiction-Old-New folder where that book is mentioned.
Joy

ALF43

« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »
Thank you Joyous, I will go looking for it post haste.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2009, 07:40:46 AM »
Alf,

I have read the book.I think I am the one who mentioned it.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
Alf, how neat. You must let us know if it was "up your alley". What people read and why is always a mystery.

Babi

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
 What do you all think about the California decision to drop textbooks for high
school math and science students?  From now on, their texts are to be on-line.
Partly, it is a tech age innovation; partly it's because of a really short budget.
It will be interesting to see how it works out.  Teens certainly should feel right
at home on-line, so it may work out very well.
  I'm just a bit anxious about the possibility of a future without books as we
know them.  Ah, well, I don't expect to see that day, anyway.

ALF43

« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2009, 09:24:30 AM »
Babi- That is an interesting question and I am going to ask each one of my high school and Jr. high school grand children how they honestly feel about that issue.
I will let you know what the "new age" regards this.  Two of them are avid readers so they may have a different slant.

Thank you Joan, I read your comment and appreciate your response.

Steph- As soon as I get a minute I will check out the "alley." ::)
Next week we will be leaving for NY State for a month to attend graduations, parties, etc and play with the kids in the pool.  The book is a hard cover and it's not mine (to leave up there) so I'm not sure if I am going to get it read before then.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »
Babi, at least 11 or 12 years ago I partly read a book by Nicholas Negroponte titled Being Digital or Going Digital, something like that.  He was mainly talking about college texts but even then advocating online texts.  One reason was that a major cost of textbooks is the cost of inventory and distribution.  And of course, the ability to continally update.

About the Calilfornia decision.  I think it offers the students a chance to explore beyond their text books -- new theories, differing viewpoints etc.  Perhaps it would even help eliminate the biases that show up in textbooks -- such as the debate between evolution and creation.

It used to be said, maybe still is, that ALL textbooks were geared to what California and Texas wanted, because they bought the most texts.  Remember Ma and Pa Grable, how they upset the textbook industry.  At any rate, the teachers should be happy because the kids can no longer say, "I didn't have my book because   .     .     .     ."

Babi

« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »
PEDLN
At any rate, the teachers should be happy because the kids can no longer say, "I didn't have my book because   .     .     .     ."

:D

Frybabe

« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2009, 10:20:07 AM »
There are still plenty of folks that don't have computers. I sincerely hope that they give the students enough time to do their homework at school. But then, doesn't that cut into real teaching time?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »
And with that closing paragraph below, I’m shutting down for now and going to exercise in the swimming pool.

With the smartphone, he said, the stimuli are information feeds. “It can be powerfully reinforcing behavior,” he said. “But the key is to make sure this technology helps you carry out the tasks of daily life instead of interfering with them. It’s about balance and managing things.”

We’ve finished discussing Twitter, here is the rise of Smartphones – going from gadetry  to necessity.  Even if you’re counting pennies.

Smartphones Now a Necessity

“The social norm is that you should respond within a couple of hours, if not immediately,” said David E. Meyer, a professor of psychology at the University of Michigan. “If you don’t, it is assumed you are out to lunch mentally, out of it socially, or don’t like the person who sent the e-mail.”

Whoa!!!  Who? What?

mabel1015j

« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
Aarrgghhh! I hate this mindset that I have be available to everyone 24 hrs a day and that you have to be available to me 24 hrs a day and we all have to carry every piece of information w/ us 24 hrs a day. We recently tried to explain to a 9 yr old what it was like before there were cell phones - (using pay phones, etc.) When i asked her if she tho't it might be a good thing or a bad thing that her mother could not get in touch w/ her immediately every minute, she - being a 9 yr old - said it was a bad thing. A 19 yr old might have had a different answer.  ;D

Cell phones are great for emergencies, but  people's need to be available to the world 24 hrs a day concerns me. I guess like all technology the iphone has it's benefits and problems.

I was trying to tape a show on our new video/dvd recorder a few days ago and it has so many bells and whistles that have to happen before something can be taped i yelled at  my husband "I just want a machine that records when you push the bottom and doesn't do a thousand other things!"  He just said, "It's going to get worse." .................siiiiggghh...............jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2009, 02:19:02 PM »
Almost all students have computers now.  In many schools, secondary and college, computers are required, and sometimes even furnished with the cost of admission and fees.  

The price of textbooks has gotten totally out of hand, from what I hear.  The latest version of Kindle has a larger screen so it can handle things like maps, diagrams, charts, etc., and be more available for textbooks.  IMHO, I think it's an idea whose time has come.  It's bad news for the textbook business, but perhaps they've pretty much priced themselves out of business.

We both carry cell phones (John's is usually turned off, though ;)).  They don't take pictures or hook up to the internet, and I even had the text-message feature turned off by the provider.  I did that after I got a wrong-number text-message, and had to pay for it.  Once was enough of that. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »
I would have loved to have had a computer during high school and college! I didn't even have a pocket calculator when I took Accounting and Finance in college.  I remember staying up all night to retype a long report that was due and that I'd screwed up on the first draft.

I can't imagine what people with cell phones glued to their ears find to talk about so much.  I have never liked talking on the phone.  If I want to talk to someone, I go out to lunch with them.  Our cell phone is used mainly for emergencies or very short calls like asking if the library has a DVD available, or making appointments.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »
MaryZ, I don't think your cellphones (or mine either) will cut the mustard in the new age.   ;D

Earlier today I was at BestBuy trying to get some information, and every young man I spoke with had a thing in his ear.  Bluetooth, maybe?  It was so annoying.  Maybe that's why I was so grouchy.  I just can't believe the company thinks that's good for business.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »
pedln, one of our Thursday-lunch friends showed up a couple of weeks ago with "one of those things in his ear".   He doesn't even have a computer, so we gave him a really hard time about it.  Turns out it was one of those hearing aids that looks like a bluetooth.  He says it does help focus the hearing magnification. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2009, 07:44:39 PM »
MaryZ, I must confess that when I read your post my first thought was, "That guy's pulling her leg."  And so I went looking for pictures -- and was amazed.  Which is the hearing aid and which is the headset?

Hearing Aid or Headset

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »
pedln, my friend's aid looks like the one in Fig. #3.  They've been advertised in the paper here.

Steph

« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2009, 08:10:04 AM »
I cannot understand the need for constant communication. Yesterday we were having lunch in an old fashioned restaurant in Leesburgh. They had a dance school having lunch after a recital ( probably 20-25 , mostly girls). I realized that the flashes that I kept seeing were the girls with their cell phones, chatting, taking pictures, texting.. The whole lunch. You would think that their friends were all there with them.  I could not begin to be on the phone all the time. Dont have that much to say and I am famous as a talker.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »
I think of it as having to tell the world every time you burp.  I do know how to text though, and once or twice a year, on trips, it's useful.

Frybabe

« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »
My best friend has one of those bluetooth things in his ear almost always. Personally, when I am visiting or in my car driving, I don't want pested with phone calls. I think it is terribly rude to answer calls when you are visiting someone or in the middle of a meeting and downright dangerous in the car. He has answered my calls when he was in meetings and not told me right away. Either don't answer the thing or answer and right away say you will call back later. BTW, isn't this what voice mail is for?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
AMEN, Frybabe.  I like the idea of hearing aids that look like Bluetooths, though.  It replaces the frump factor with a cool factor.

BTW, maybe the plural of Bluetooth should be Blueteeth.

Steph

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »
Hey, I wear hearing aids and noone ever knows. People are so surprised if I mention them.. My dentist never knew at all, but yesterday, he reached up to pat my ear ( he is a bit weird) and I jumped because of course the hearing aids squeals when you cover it.. I told him and he could not believe. I had to take it out to show him.
My husband and younger son love to take pictures and text each other. I believe it is probably known as "Can you top this". But they have fun.

Babi

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »
FRYBABE, when my granddaughter went to high school, it wasn't long before her mother got a message from a teacher suggesting that Marie really, really needed a computer if she was going to be able to handle the schoolwork. My daughter maneuvered her budgetand managed to get a small computer, but I don't know how the schools cope in those circumstances where students' families simply can't afford one.

Aarrgghhh! I hate this mindset that I have be available to everyone 24 hrs a day..
   JEAN, that is precisely why I never bought myself a cell phone. Now, of course, I couldn't use one anyway.  But I never liked the idea that I was 'available' at all times. We all need some peaceful down-time.

ALF43

« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »
Steph you asked me to let you know if The Help was right up my alley.  I really liked this book; particularly the characters of the 3 extraordinary women living in Mississippi, in the 60's.
 I have ABHORED racial prejudice all of my life and felt my teeth start to grow fangs when I started to read their tale but as the story progressed I became these characters and fought tooth and nail right along side of them for "their (my) rights."
Of course we know about Medgar Evans and the atrocities that these people lived through but to look at these awful times through the eyes of those that suffered makes a difference.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
Hi, everyone. Like many people, I am a big fan of a lot of musicals. I think the genre of musicals fits on our SeniorLearn Books site since the book and lyrics of many musicals are as compelling as non-musical books and plays.

I received a notice from my PBS alert that Great Performances this week will be airing a broadcast of the cult musical "CHESS," in concert with Josh Groban, Idina Menzel (from WICKED) and Adam Pascal (from RENT). I had not heard of CHESS before and it's definitely not a traditional Rodgers and Hammerstein type of musical but it might be interesting (or not!  ;)) Just FYI, in case you want to check your local PBS listings. In my area it will be showing on Wednesday evening. See more at http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/

mrssherlock

« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2009, 02:46:41 PM »
Marcie:  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll put that in my July schedule.  I love musicals and look forward each year to the Tony broadcast where I can keep up with the new shows and the revivals.  While surfing cable I stumbled onto a glorious pair of shows which highlighted legendary director Hal Prince (#1) and Phantom, how it came to be,  These are being repeated throughout June on the Ovation channel along with other musicals.  Not much info on the web site but here it is:  http://www.ovationtv.com/schedules 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the info, Jackie. I checked and my cable network doesn't carry Ovation. It looks like a very interesting channel.

You might be referring to the documentary, "Behind the Mask: The Story of the Phantom of the Opera." There is some info at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478846/

The documentary is available in 9 parts on Youtube (google "behind the mask phantom youtube") but there are probably copyright issues as with a lot of stuff on youtube!

Babi

« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »
I'm with you, ALF. I remember readint "The Glass House of Prejudice"
when I was in high school. I was reading it in gym one day, waiting for
practice to begin, when I read something that made me so angry I threw
the book and yelled, "They can't do that!" Needless to say, I got a
number of wary looks from my classmates.