Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 149722 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »
MaryZ, either that, or I become so annoyed with the book that I throw it across the room. Fortunately, that doesn't happen too often. Much easier to throw if it's a paperback, of course.
   MARJIFAY, I give an author a little more slack than that.  I allow them a chapter or three to fill in background and establish their characters. Had to do that for the Daniel Silva book I'm reading now, but things are moving along nicely now. I just wish he wouldn't keep skipping around in time; that can get confusing. I have to stop and mentally place the latest bit chronologically in the story.

JOANK, did you ever ask your friend about the pg.89 checkpoint?  I'm curious to know the answer to that one myself.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »
I tend to give the author 100 pages to suck me in.. But occasionally.. Yiddish policeman was a good example, I slog through and discover that it grows on me.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

kiwilady

« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2009, 09:17:53 PM »
Mysteries/Thrillers I read over the holidays

An Orkney Murder - Alanna Knight

Brethren - Robyn Young

Blood Dancing - Jonathon Gash

Candle for a Corpse - Ann Granger

Act of Terror ( modern terrorism) Richard Woodman

The 6th Target - James Patterson

A Killing Karma - Geraldine Evans

The Ape Who Guards the Balance- Elizabeth Peters ( Mystery series about Egyptology in the days of the British Empire)

Carolyn

Alexan

« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
Hi - This is my first post here.   I really miss Rubbish.   Maybe we can get it back?

However, I am a great mystery fan.    I am almost finished John Dunning's "The Bookman's Wake" - really enjoying this and also had some education on book binding, fonts, paper and everything to do with book making, hand made books that is.    Previously I read "The Third Secret" by Steve Berry.   This was excellent also - couldn't put it down.   

I had mentioned before I am great fan of Kerry Greenwood - she is an Australian Author - you can google her if you are interested - these books can be got in the States but they don't have them in Canada so I get them sent to me sometime - I have a complete collection of here books - about 17 of them - the latest "Murder on a Midsummer night".   This is her website if you are interested.

http://www.phrynefisher.com/books.html

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2009, 09:31:15 PM »
Welcome, Alexan.  I love John Dunning's books too, especially the Cliff Janeway series.  I picked one up at the bargain table a while back -- The Sign of the Book -- but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I'm not familiar with Kerry Greenwood that you mentioned, but will explore the website. She must be doing well, to have 17 of them under her belt.  Sounds good.

maeve

« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »
I checked our library for Kerry Greenwood and they have 9 of her books.  I'll have to try one of them.

MaryE

marjifay

« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »
Babi, which book by Daniel Silva are you reading?  I know his books have received good reviews.  I've read only one, THE MESSENGER, a couple years ago and put it down after 100 pages.  My notes say "too many difficult Arab names, hard to keep track of, and plot not very interesting."
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
Kerry is  a new author for me, have to look her up. I have read all of John Dunning and enjoyed most of them. I have a passion for Elizabeth Peters, who writes under several names. I really only like her Amelia Peabody ones though.

Babi

« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
Marjifay, I am reading "The Unlikely Spy", set in WWII England.  It's the first of his I have read, so I can't compare it with any of his other books.
  I have read a number of Eliz. George's books, but I've never picked up one featuring Amelia Peabody. I'd like to see what they are like.  I'll have to run some checks thru' Fantastic Fiction and my library catalog.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
Babi, it's Elizabeth Peters that writes about the Amerlia Peabody character, not Elizabeth George.  I don't care for Peters' writing, but I have read every Elizabeth George book and really like them.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Alexan

« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
I have just started "Down among the dead men" by Lawrence Block - I think he is the one who writes the Burglar series also.   

Further to Kerry Greenwood - I first met her with her character of Phryne Fisher - she also has another heroine called Corinna Chapman and these books are most entertaining also - There are 5 so far with that character and I have them all - some I got when I was in Australia in 2004 and the rest have been sent to me for birthdays and Christmas.

http://www.earthlydelights.net.au/

Alexan

« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
 :-[  Just realized "Down among the dead men" is a book written by Michael Hartland.   I haven't read it.    The title of the book I'm reading is "A Long line of dead men".    The first title just popped into my head when I was writing.    Possibly because of the sea chanty "Down among the dead men let him lie."    Strange how our minds work!!    :-[

mabel1015j

« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
While prowling around on the internet i came across the name of Evan Hunter. I know him as the author of Blackboard Jungle and as a classmate of a woman from the Bronx that i taught with in the early 1960's. His name came up as Ed McBain (Evan Hunter), clicking on the link i discovered the man has written dozens and dozens of books under many names - who knew? Many of them seem to be mystery stories, particularly cop stories - one series is called "the 87th precinct novels." Other names were Matthew Hope, Richard Marsten and sev'l other names of one or two books each....................why do authors do that?  He's also written children's books, short stories and screen plays - including "The Birds"!!!...............i found him on Bookreporter.com............ Have any of you read his books?............

A review of a triology of McBains gives a good idea of his style for 96th Precinct stories                       http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/0743426665.asp

I think i have a whole new list of mystery books to read  ???  ................. jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2009, 02:43:24 PM »
I think I've read every 87th Precinct book he published.  Plus, some of his other series.  As police procedurals, the 87th Precinct books are great.  His characters grow on you and stay with you, and you can remember them long after the novels are finished.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »
Ah -Tomereader - i was "modifying" as you were writing................see the link.........did you know he was "Evan Hunter?"              jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »
ALEXAN: great to see you! I miss rubbish, too.

It's neat that Kerry Greenwood's site lets you read a selection from her book. I'll have to look for her.

I'm nervous because my f2f mystery club meets tonight after reading a book that I picked. I know they're all going to hate it! Usually, I avoid being the "book picker", chicken that I am, but I got backed into a corner. The book is "Murder at the Gardiner" by Jane Langton. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tomereader1

« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »
Yes, Jean, I knew that he was Evan Hunter - - almost from the beginning of reading his books.  I think I read all the "Evan Hunter" books too (written under his own name). 

Now, if I might.  I know several of us here read Courtroom procedurals.  The newest Richard North Patterson is "Conviction".  I want to issue a warning to anyone who might consider reading it.  Firstly, the book deals with a murder case, a very horrifying one, dealing with the killing of a 9 yr. old girl.  The author does not pull any punches regarding how she died, and it will be upsetting to the majority of readers here.  Secondly, it details how a capital murder/death penalty case goes through State Supreme courts/ (to be finished later...
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

kiwilady

« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »
I like Richard North Patterson. He is a very good writer.

Carolyn

Babi

« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
Of course, MARJIFAY!   :-[    I've made that same mistake before.  I also prefer Elizabeth George, though I did read a few by Elizabeth Peters, before I got tired of them.

Steph

« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »
I like both Elizabeths and have read most of them. I like the non burglar books that he wrote. They are fascinating. Ed McBain has done a small series, always with the names connected to nursery rhymes. Absolutley wonderfull. The lawyer is Matthew Hope..
Will tell myhusband about the Patterson. He loves court stuff.
Just finished "The Tentmaker" by Michelle Blake.. It has Lily Connor as an episcopal priest who gets involved with a strange parish indeed. Am looking for her others and have the second one coming from my swap club.. If anyone read the old Susan Howatch series on the Anglican church in England. This book reminded me of that to some degree. I never knew anything about the set up of the Episcopals or that they had monasteries. Very interesting book.

Tomereader1

« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
...sorry I had to stop in the middle last night.  Had important phone call.

Anyway, I was saying Secondly, it details how a capital murder/death penalty case goes through State Supreme courts and to the Supreme Court of the United States.  There is much more infighting, jockeying for position than anyone would care to think about between the Courts and even the Judges in the courts.  You really hope that no one you love ever has to go through this Appeals process.

Anyway, that's enough from me.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
RATS! No one liked Jane Langton. At best, people thought she was "all right". They thought she was dated. Made me feel really old (I am 20 years older than anyone else there).

What do you all think?

kiwilady

« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2009, 07:20:29 PM »
To be honest nowdays when I read Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh I find them dated. When I was a young teen I read my grandmothers collection of mysteries and really enjoyed them at that stage in my life. Now when I have read so many modern mystery writers I do find Ngaio Marsh and Agatha Christie very dated. I guess people feel the same about other writers so don't feel bad Joan K.

Carolyn

peace42

« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »
Welcome Alexan...glad to see you here and to read about what you are reading.

I, too, am an Ed McBain 87th Precinct fan, especially the ones with the Deafman. Excellent stories, characters, good tight writing. He is missed.

thanks everyone for all your input about when you decide not to continue a book...I just started  Tami Hoag that I somehow missed, Ashes to Ashes..it's long, nearly 600 pages in paperback but so far so good.We shall see.

Off to read some more...take care all.
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Steph

« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »
Just finished "Shadows on the Ivy" by Lea Wait. This is a small series. The heroine is an antique print seller and a part time college professor. Interesting little series. I have read two of them in the past few months.
I have the newest Harlan Coben in hardcover and since Tim has finished it, I will start it. I generally do them in one huge gulp.. I do like him very much and am always amazed that I do. He is an interesting writer indeed.

Babi

« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
KIWILADY, I still enjoy the old mysteries; I just approach them with the same expectations I do any other 'period' piece.  I enjoy books in old settings with people acting and reacting in the old ways.  I confess there are aspects of the 'modern' way of life that I find unpleasant, so that can sometimes be a 'turn-off'.

marjifay

« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2009, 01:11:48 PM »
Joan, all I can say is that if your F2F group doesn't like "dated" mysteries, they are missing a lot of good ones!  Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers (wonderful Lord Peter mysteries), Dorothy B. Hughes, Erle Stanley Gardner, Raymond Chandler, etc. etc.  I have several of Jane Langton's Homer Kelly mysteries that I picked up at garage sales just because the titles sounded so interesting --Emily Dickinson is Dead,
The Transcendental Murder and others.-- but have never gotten around to reading.  Now I will give them a read.

kiwilady

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2009, 10:04:12 PM »
There are some very good "period mysteries" they are written by late 20th century authors. I  enjoy them. I have also begun reading mysteries and thrillers by foreign writers and have really enjoyed most of them.

Carolyn

Steph

« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
I have been listening to my very first Brother Cadfael on audio taapes at the gym and really like it. Must dig in and get a book or two to see if I like it as much.
The Harlen Coben is not my favorite of his.. The subject matter bothers me in this one.

Alexan

« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2009, 05:50:59 PM »
Love the Cadfael books and also enjoy watching them.   They had a marvellous series on WNED not so long ago.  Derek Jacobi is excellent in his portrayal of the character.

I've just been to the library we have in the building where I live.   Just found another Dunning - The Bookman's promise.    The first book I just finished was called the Bookman's wake.   I am looking forward to starting this one.

Alexan

« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
Steph: Just looking at the Harlan Coben site.   Not sure which is the newest one you are reading.    Is that "Hold tight"?    I see there is a movie out "Tell no one"   Don't go to the movie theatre though - at least it has been a long time since I did.    I must try to get one of his from the library.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2009, 06:24:50 PM »
Hi, Alexan, it's good to see you again.  I agree with you, the Cadfael series with Derek Jacobi was excellent.  My only complaint is that they tended to make them more violent than necessary.

I miss Rubbish too--not only for the game, but also for the odd bits of knowledge from some subjects, and the conversations we had in the process.  A number of our Rubbish friends are here; maybe it'll start up again.

Alexan

« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2009, 11:18:08 PM »
Hi PatH:    Hope the Rubbish will start again.    A bit late, but A Happy New Year.   Nice to hear from you too!

Steph

« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
Yes, the newest is Hold Tight. The obsession with posessing your childrens inner lives bothers me. I understand the reasoning, but I still am sad about children not having any inner privacy..
I also do not quite agree with the ending..
Since that one was heavy to me,, I am now reading.. P is for Peril for a lighter read. I never quite catch up with Kinsey, but pick them up at thrift shops, etc.

Alexan

« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »
Steph - Yes, I can empathize with the "inner privacy".    I have not read the book as yet., but having been a victim of the loss of "inner privacy" I can understand your feelings on the subject.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »
I think I am behind with Sue Grafton, too. Which is the latest one?

Anotrher author I can't keep up with is Anne Perry. She must put out three books a year. Just finished one of her Christmas books, "Christmas grace". There seem to be small books, using one of the continuing characters as a detective. This one features Emily, Pitt's sister-in-law. It is very slight, but perhaps worth reading for it's Irish seacoast background. And it benifits from being shorter -- I love Anne Perry, but they always have many pages of filler that could be eliminated.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »
I think the latest Sue Grafton is "S".  You could check amazon or your library or probably Grafton has a web site.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »
Derek Jacobi is such a fine actor that he can apparently play any role convincingly.  I was initially surprised at the choice of Jacobi to play Cadfael, since Cadfael had been a tough, burly soldier.  Big and burly does not
describe Derek Jacobi.  After the first show, however, if was happily willing to ignore that small discrepancy.

Steph

« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »
Must try and see if the Brother Cadfael might be on DVD.. Hmm. I do like the audio version. He is certainly a clever monk indeed.
P is good and  I had no idea what was happening. Still not quite sure who did what to whom..

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2009, 06:17:54 PM »
I can't keep up with you guys/gals.  And JoanK, your F2F group is lacking something.  What's not to like about Jane Langton and Homer Kelly.  I loved Murder at the Gardner, my only regret that I never did get to actually visit the Gardner when we lived in Boston back when the children were little.  Was just looking at some of the other Langton listings.  I think I missed  The Escher Twist and The Deserter -- Homer and Mary solve a Civil War mystery.

Leftovers tonight, no dinner to fix.  My neck hates the computer and the computer hates my neck.  It's time to fix a cup of tea and get back into Margaret Truman's Murder inside the Beltway.