Author Topic: The Library  (Read 141771 times)

winsummm

Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #1000 on: October 04, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!  

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

welllllI just asked amazon for a sample of that old cape magic which has propably already appeared on my kindle. will try it on for not size but comfort and interest even pleasure.  The writing seems to make a big differenc e to me these day. good reference ginni. thank you

claire
thimk

Frybabe

« Reply #1001 on: October 04, 2009, 09:50:19 PM »
I am getting itchy to do a little genealogy searching again. I just usually pick around and get nowhere. This time I might just join one of those genealogy search websites like Ancestry.com. I am also putting on my to buy list a book I ran across accidentally on Amazon: The George Family Name in History(or something close to that). Apparently Ancestry.com has several of these family name in history books published.

What got all this started again is the book I am reading now, The Highland Clearances by John Preeble. Lots of Scottish families got broken up and "transported" to the coast or onto ships to take them to the US, Australia and Canada, and probably other places.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1002 on: October 04, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »
Frybabe: the Mormans have local centers in mqny areas where they help people get started on ancester searches. You might check if there's one near you.

serenesheila

« Reply #1003 on: October 05, 2009, 02:47:16 AM »
I have taken several geneaology classes at nearby Senior Centers.  I also joined "Genealogy.com" a few years ago and found lots of good information about my family on that site.

At present, I am still reading "Paris, 1919". 

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #1004 on: October 05, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »
Genealogy has been a passion of mine for close to 30 years now. I traced my paternal family back to entry in the US in the 1600's, did find my mothers birth family ( she was adopted) and did some work on hers as well. My maiden name was Clute and I have since kept on computer a data base of all of the Clutes in the US and Canada. I serve as a record keeper for the family and I know that most families have people who do the same.. So.. the mormons are excellent and have a good web site to use.. You can also use Genealogy.com.. They also have separate name web sites.. The census is the very best way to start.. Good luck
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1005 on: October 05, 2009, 08:09:20 AM »
Stephanie, where does Science Fiction reviewer, editor, and writer John Clute fit in your family tree?

bellemere

« Reply #1006 on: October 05, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »
I loved Russo's Empire Falls, but didn't like Bridge of Sighs.  He has an earlier book, Nobody's Fool that is a laugh riot, and even guys find it enjoyable.
Steph, here is a geneology story :  i did some research and found my Irish born gradfather's date of birth.  I also knew from me dad that grandpa was a Philadelphia fireman. He died in 1934 when I was a baby.  i called the Philadelphia Fire Dept and they put me through to an archivist who had him on the computer in a heartbeat.  Joined the force in 1898, left in 1929, date of birth 1860
"Oh, wait, " I saidl. that must be another Joseph Rowe.  My grandfather was born in 1858
the fireman started to chuckle.  "Lady, if he gave that date when he applied he would ;have been too old to be a rookie firefighter.
"What are you saying?  That my grandfather lied? "
"Afraid so,my dear.  Let's give him a pass this time, shall we?"

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1007 on: October 05, 2009, 09:39:15 AM »
That's a great story, bellemere, you made my day.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1008 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »
Bellemere, I love that story.  Am laughing right out loud.

How wonderful that Boston is have its first book festival.  I'd love to be there as I have a very warm spot in my heart for Boston.  We lived in Watertown in the '60s for two years when my husband was at the B school, and my son was born at Boston Lying-In.  My in-laws grew up in Boston and his aunt lived in one of the Newtons. My FIL remembered when the waitresses at Durgin Park would "sell" their jobs when they retired. Our favorite author then was Robert McCloskey for his Make Way for Ducklings, and even now, as I read The Last Dickens, I'm wondering "is the old corner bookstore still there?"  I've made a few trips back, but none since '84 when my son graduated from MIT.  There were a lot of changes then and I'm sure there'll be a lot more now.

Besides Matthew Pearl's book, I'm reading Nancy Pickard's Virgin of Small Plains, a stand-alone, and set in Kansas.  Quite different from her New England mystery series and the ones she finished for Virginia Rich.

Gumtree

« Reply #1009 on: October 05, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »
Why is it that when you're involved with something the subject crops up everywhere... Take genealogy for instance - I've researched our families on and off for about 20 years - lately a few other researchers in distant branches have contacted me to get or give new information which naturally started my genealogy bug twitching - so, on and off I've been pottering among the records. Amazingly, I take a break to come into The Library here and find everyone talking about genealogy - maybe we should form a SL family history group   ;)

I'm reading the Seamus Heaney version of Beowulf. Interesting to compare it with Kevin Crossley Holland's older translation. I think Heaney is more readable though I can remember reading the Holland book to my sons when they were very young. They didn't really understand it at the time but they have never forgotten it. At times their eyes were as round as saucers and I've never forgotten that either. 
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

winsummm

« Reply #1010 on: October 05, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »
thank you for the lead. I just ordered the sample of Virgin of the Small Plains now if my eyes would stop stinginging. . .too much watching this and that etc. I love this discussion collect new authors etc. from you generous folks.

claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #1011 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
geneology is fun. I called Joan K laast night to check on a possible link since sister pat looks so much like my friends barbara jean who is also a twin. . . no connection but genes will tell.

my maiden name was lewis., no possibilities for research there and now of course Read has similar difficultis. fathers mother's was wolff and  it ends there. mothers had a few more slighty more distinctive but I never really did anything with it although a cousin came out of no where and found me. she was adopted but her family was genetically conncted. we met once. charles didn't look anyhing like the male lewises who did. interesting in connection with the gene aspect. in general german jews or as I later found out ashkenazi jews. my lifelong friend explained the difference between that and russian jews  as if it mattered on it did to her. she said she was jealous. 

how involved can you get. sheeesh.

claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #1012 on: October 05, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »
such a beautiful day today on the left coast.

http://san-clemente.org/Cameras/Images/HQ/09100507581900.jpg

see if this works. it is the address of the camera there. . . . claire

well almost but not in motion. . . .the sea is very blue though I love it. . .makes me feel happy  inside.
thimk

bellemere

« Reply #1013 on: October 05, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Hi former Bostonian
I was born in Watertown; Boston Lying_In is now Brigham and Women's Hospital, the B School is spreading all over that side of the river; Durgin Park is still there with the nervy waitresses; and myu sistr lives in Newton.  I was sorry when I had to move to Western Mass; I grew up in Belmont and loved it there. but this is home now, and at this time of the year, it is gorgeous.
But we are looking forward to our day in Beantown. 
One of th most beautiful changes you will see if you visit again is the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway, replacing the elevated highway . So lovely to have in the very center of the city.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1014 on: October 05, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »
CLAIRE: your link didn't work for me, but I know that blue. Here (a few miles further north), the sea reflects the color of the sky: on a day that is half sun and half coud the sea will be deep blue on one side and gray on the other.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1015 on: October 05, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »
As a thinker and a lover of words I was awed by C-SPAN's The Supreme Court.  http://supremecourt.c-span.org/  As today is the first Monday in October C-SPAN has scheduled a full week of programs about the Court.  Last night's show introduced us to the overall view of the Court.  The architecture is magnificent;  as the cameras toured the building the progress of a typical case was outlined in the Justices' own words. It was in describing the rendering of the decisions that I was most struck by the power of the process.  If you missed this C-SPAN has an online site where DVDs can be purchased at a very reasonable cost of $10.   
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #1016 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »
Thanks, Mrssherlock, for the reminder. I saw that C-Span was going to run the series, but then promptly forgot. Anyway, I was at work last night so I missed the first one.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1017 on: October 05, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
This schedule shows repeats of last night's program.  http://supremecourt.c-span.org/TVPrograms.aspx
I will add this one to my library, plus The White House and The Capital.  I may not ever get to Washington but I can enjoy some of its splendors.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1018 on: October 05, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
I also knew about the program and forgot. I'll try to look at it tonight.

bellemere

« Reply #1019 on: October 05, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »
Just started The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper, a reporter for the Wall St. Journal and the New York times, about her childhood in Liberia, the country in Africa founded b y America for freed slaves.  the sent over a few boatloads, including Cooper's ancestors, and promptly forgot about them. I have a feeling this bookd is going to get very dark, with what I remember of recent history of that unfortunate country.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1020 on: October 05, 2009, 11:23:01 PM »
MaryZ.  Theron and went an Elderhostel on Grand Manan Island.
We loved it there.  The Bay of Fundy is fascinating.  We saw Puffins on that trip.  The Puffins were the reason we went on that Elderhostel.

Speaking of Elderhostel,  I just returned from one in Chicago at the Art Institute.  It was a fabulous experience.  The focus was the new modern wing of the Art Institute.  We were introduced to their modern collection.  I enjoyed it very much.  It was so well organized.  I felt that I learned so much.   I was happy in the Abstract Expressionist Gallery as they had  a Joan Mitchell painting.   I admire Joan Mitchell' s painting very much.  My friend took a photo of me with the painting.  I haven't looked at it yet but sure hope that it turned out well.  In some of my free time at the Art Institute I spent some time in their Impressionist Galleries.  I really enjoyed that.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1021 on: October 06, 2009, 08:14:53 AM »
Glad you're back home, Joan.  And how neat that y'all went to Grand Manan.  I'd never heard of it before, but we surely did have a good time.  Did you stay at the Marathon Inn, too?

Also I'm glad to hear the good report about the EH at the Art Institute.  We're keeping that one on our list of probable programs.   ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #1022 on: October 06, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »
"Afraid so,my dear.  Let's give him a pass this time, shall we?"
I love your
fireman archivist, Bellmere.  He's a sweetheart.

CLARE, your mother's name of Wolff reminds me of an old bit of trivia.
A man with the longest name I've ever heard of....
'Wolfensteinhausenbergerendorf'. I kid you not; that's what he claimed.
 Needless to say, he shortened it to Wolfe.  Maybe your grandmothers name
was a shortened version, also.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

winsummm

« Reply #1023 on: October 06, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »
this is the beach cam I tried to post a single sot and no go. try this.

http://www.san-clemente.org/cameras/hqcamera.aspx
thimk

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1024 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »
mrsherlock, Thanks for the info about the C-Span program.

I'm glad you enjoyed your Elderhostel, JoanG. I hadn't heard of Joan Mitchell before. Claire, you might enjoy some of her art. I found some paintings at http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=dyB&q=joan%20mitchell%20painting&cts=1254841228421&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1025 on: October 06, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
Marcie thanks for the link to the Joan Mitchell Paintings.  We have one of her huge paintings in our museum. It is called Bonjour Julie. We had an exhibition of her paintings several years ago and I really enjoyed it and I enjoyed learning about her life.  I found her fascinating.

Joan Grimes

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1026 on: October 06, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »
JoanG and Marcie, thanks for the introduction to Joan Mitchell and for the link to her paintings. Like MaryZ, I'd never heard of her either and would like to see more of her work. Your link Marcie, will provide a lot to explore.

This is a "3P" day for me -- protime (lab), Panera, and pool.  I eat breakfast and read the free copy of USA Today, and should get swimming before the Panera lunch crowd arrives.  Has anyone read anything by Pete Dexter?  He was in today's USA T -- has a new book, Spooner , out.  A novel about a journalist.  Another of his is Paris Trout, about a racist.

CallieOK

« Reply #1027 on: October 06, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »
mrsherlock,  I, too, appreciate the information about the C-Span programs on The Supreme Court.  I've tried to set my dvr to record each segment but am not sure I clicked the right thing.  I missed the first one but have red-penciled my t v guide to remind me to tune in - or check record - to the rerun tomorrow night.  Thanks.

JoanG:   I so miss Elderhostels.  Unfortunately, the situation with my feet makes traveling to/from and participating almost impossible these days.
With your volunteer work, I can understand why you enjoyed the EH in Chicago.

Yesterday, I put in a reserve request for Diana Gabaldon's latest (final????) novel in the "Outlander" series.  I am #173 on the list and there are 27 copies available for loan.  I surely do hope some read really fast - or decide it's too long and should be saved for another time.  :)

I'm currently reading a Susan Howatch book that I either missed or read so long ago that I don't remember doing so.  :-[
Also reading a memoir by Oklahoma's Poet Laureate.  He grew up in the same general area as I did.   Not too impressed with the free verse poems he's included but am enjoying reading his memories of rural eastern Oklahoma.

winsummm

« Reply #1028 on: October 06, 2009, 07:14:58 PM »
joanie mitchell is a tallented musician and writer as well. is i the same lady I'm thinking of. the one who wrote both sides now.  her art isjust great for me. if here is such a thing as a school of abstraction we both belong o it. lovely. . . claire
thimk

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1029 on: October 06, 2009, 08:16:51 PM »
Mitchell's work is gorgeous.  Thanks for posting the link.  Like Claire, I do nonobjective pieces, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1030 on: October 06, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
The Joan Mitchell that I wrote about was not a musician. The song writer was Joni Mitchell.   Joan Mitchell the painter was from Chicago.  She was an abstract expressionist painter.  She went from Chicago to New York and from there to France to live and paint.  She died of lung cancer in 1992.  There is a book about her on Amazon but since it is not on Kindle or published in big print I have not ventured into reading it.  There is also a video or dvd about her.  It is short and I have seen it.  I am not sure where you can find it but I think that you can buy it.  Our museum has a copy of it.
I am so glad that so many of you enjoyed looking a her paintings.
Joan Grimes

winsummm

« Reply #1031 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:02 AM »
Joan G you and I have the same visual restrictions. if it's not on kindle I can't blow it up six times or if it is not in big print either. aren't we lucky to have these options. a few years ago reading wouldn't be one.  my kindle has the voice capacity and when my eyes hurt too much to read I listen. . . added too by earphones and a plug in.
thimk

Steph

« Reply #1032 on: October 07, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »
Loved the fireman story.. Very common about the ages. People simply announced how old and there were seldom any birth certificates until the 1900's, even later in some states.  They were extremely casual about names as well.. One of my favorite ancestors started life as Bata ( my paternal line is almost all Dutch), but as an adult became Bathsheba.. I suspect she was into drama.
John Clute.. Johannes and now John is by far the commonest Clute name.. I corresponded with someone who was related to that John, but had no information on his parents, etc, so I honestly know that we are probably related, but not how exactly.
Will look for the Nancy Pickard. She has done some interesting non New England stuff.
I read Paris Trout years ago and loved it. Very dark..
Now home.. Hurray.. We spent 10 years in Bedford, Ma.. just north of Boston. I loved Boston , but hate the cold.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1033 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:28 AM »
Yes Claire, we are so very lucky to have the options that we do to be able to continue reading.

Joan Grimes

Babi

« Reply #1034 on: October 07, 2009, 09:01:44 AM »
Joan Mitchell is a new name to me, too, but her paintings remind me of
Jackson Pollock.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1035 on: October 07, 2009, 10:36:05 AM »
Babi,  they should remind you of Jackson Pollock. They are both Abstract Expressionists.  I like her paintings more than I do Jackson Pollock's .  Just my personal preference.

Joan Grimes

serenesheila

« Reply #1036 on: October 07, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »
Claire and JoanGrimes, I, too, am having vision problems.  There is a third option available to us, that is the Library for the blind.  My late husband was blind for the last eleven years of his life.  He loved the talking books for the blind.  It is also available for those who have arthritis, of something that prevents their holding a book.

The service is free.  Both the machine which plays the books, and the books themselves are free.  The Library issues cataloges, listing the available books.  Each user is assigned an employee of the Library, to help in choosing books.  My husband loved this service.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #1037 on: October 08, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »
Sheila, My husband was a radio announcer or DJ in our misspent youth and spent about 5 years as a volunteer reading and recording the books for the blind. He won some sort of award even. He loved it and would still be doing it, but we moved from the beach where they record.

bellemere

« Reply #1038 on: October 08, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »
It's good to hear from other low vision people.  for me it is macular degeneration , and the retina specialist says it is progressive, and we just can fight to slow it down. Hyper vitamins twice a day, and the rest is all adaptation to maintain quality of life.  I have stopped driving at night, and must plan for a future without a car.  Thank God husband is still around and can drive.  (Although trips of more than an hour leave him exhausted.)REading is my "second life" and I dread seeing it go/ still manage the New Yorker with its tiny print, but dont know for how muchlonger.
Isn't it hard not to feel sorry for yourself?  i forget the novelist wh described self pity as "a dirty little white dog with red eyes that keeps trying to climb into your lap"
thanks for the tips about the Library for the Blind.
when I asked the retina speciaist about a Kindle, he said that I need bright light, high contrast, and magnification and that a Kindle is still pretty small and lacks high contrast.  Bu t so many of you are doing well with it, I may try one.
Has anybody else got this Macular degeneration problem?  I can identify my car  all the way across the parking lot but if someone is facing me four feet away, I sometimes cannot make oyt the details of the face.  And cutting up meat is frustrating. Slicing veggies on the cutting board is a real adventure! 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1039 on: October 08, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
bellemere, I wonder if you would be helped in the veggie cutting and other things by using something like a magnifying light. They come in different sizes from hand-held to desk-top and floor models. There is an example here: http://www.amazon.com/White-Magnifier-Magnifying-Light-Floor/dp/B000KLZK22