Author Topic: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online - PRE-DISCUSSION  (Read 55745 times)

Bookjunky

Re: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in

FEBRUARY 7 -  As the world watches, Prince Charles and the  Duchess of Cornwall will lay a wreath in the south transept of Westminster Abbey where Charles Dickens is buried,  to comemmorate the bicentenary of one of Britain’s greatest writers.

We'll celebrate the day with a COSTUME PARTY - Dress as your favorite Dickens character.  See who can guess your identity!

Announcing Time Magazine's daily countdown rating Dickens' Top Ten Novels. Did you pick BLEAK HOUSE?  

Here is a short USA TODAY'S DICKENS  QUIZ - If you post your score, you MIGHT win a prize.  Guesses count!!

Please post below if you will be participating in a discussion of Dickens' BLEAK HOUSE.  We will begin on February 15 with  the first installment - Chapters 1-4.  

Bleak House
 "A dreary name," said the Lord Chancellor. "But not a dreary place at present, my lord," said Mr. Kenge.

DLs:  JoanP, Marcie, PatH, Babi,   JoanK  

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
#1 I'm going to say no
#2. I'd say Great Expectations 1, Christmas Carol 2. And I really like Bleak House. :)
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 08:21:36 PM »
I'm ditto-ing Ginny.  Bleak House is not going to make the list. Not because it's not as good, but because Great Expectations (#1) and A Chritmas Carol (#2) are better known, and thus more popular.

JudeS

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »
JoanP
Thanks for the link to the site of Word a Day.
It has more than just words.Famous sayings too.
Here's one I liked a lot:

Since we are destined to live our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well.
by
Peter Ustinov (actor, writer,artist)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
Good morning!  Lots going on here - some new faces, some new entries in our little pre-birthday contest - and before I forget...

It's somebody's birthday today - not Charles' or George's yet - but someone in this room.  Can you guess?*

Today is the day we'll learn if Bleak House made it to Time Magazine's list of top 10 Dickens' novels.  Isn't it remarkable?  Here in SeniorLearn we decided to read one of his novels to celebrate his 200th birthday - held an open nomination period and it came down to 4 - Tale of Two Cities, Pickwick Papers, Bleak House and Great Expectations.  And then the vote narrowed it to the top two, Bleak House and Great Expectations.    Wouldn't it be something if Time reports the same two today?

Let's keep the vote open this morning - until Time announces #2.  Anything submitted here after Time's announcement will have to be taken off the boards.  We seem to be divided now - between Christmas Carol and Bleak House.  I can't think of another novel that would make it to the top two...along with Great Expectations, of course.

* HAPPY, HAPPY day, Ginny!  And many more just like it!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
Bookjunky - Come right in and take a seat!  A nice leather reading chair awaits!  Welcome! 
We plan to meet here on Feb. 7 for Charles Dickens' birthday celebration and then begin a pre-discussion about the book and the author.  

On February 15, we are planning to begin discussion of the first installment of the book - Chapters 1 through 4.  

I know this is going to be a wonderful discussion when looking over the list of those planning to gather here.  I see your name, along with bookad and boookworm.   What fun!  And three Joans too.  Welcome everyone!

Jonathan

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
I can't believe that Bleak House won't make it to the top 10. And yet, here's a comment that BH isn't as well known as either Great Expectations or Christmas Carol. True. Several years ago I saw my solicitor about drawing up a will. Court-proof it, I told him. Put nothing in it for the lawyers. I don't want anyone shooting his brains out over it like that poor guy in Jarndyce and Jarndyce. Never heard of the case he said to me! It seems to me the Carol is in a class of its own and won't be there. My money is on Bleak House.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
GREETINGS, BOOKWORM! Glad to have you join the rest of us worms.

Bleak house will definately make it. I'd guess number 1. Either Christmas Carol or great Expectations didn't. It may be that since CC is ot full length, they didn't count it?.?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
Looks like we have to wait a bit - I just read that Time will take a short break and announce Number 2 on Monday...

So, if there are others who want to guess the top two - go ahead!  Good arguments for the *2 slot.  Every one of you seems to believe Great Expectations is in the #! slot...

bellamarie

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
I am excited to join this discussion.  I so have missed the group, but my life has been a bit busy the past few months keeping me unable to focus on reading.  I see it finally slowing down, thank goodness.  Going to download the book into my nook today so I can be ready!  My vote would be for Christmas Carol as his #1.  Have to admit I have never read Bleak House so is it fair to vote?  :)

Happy Birthday Ginny!
Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

EvelynMC

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »
Happy Belated Birthday, Ginny!

Evelyn

EvelynMC

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
I saw portions of Bleak House on PBS a few years ago and enjoyed it.  At the time I didn't realize how well edited it was.  Having never read Bleak House until now, I have come to the conclusion that Charles Dickens was paid by the word. --- Wordy, wordy, wordy.  I can't wait for the discussion to begin and hear what you all have to say.  And I will wait until then before I make any more comments.  ;)

Evelyn 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »
Ginny, I only just noticed this - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »
Evelyn, I'm smiling at your comment that Dickens must have been paid by the word...especially since I had just noticed that he was paid by the installment - and each installment was about 45 pages long! :D
Actually, the first chapters seem to be the wordiest...have you noticed that too?

Bellamarie, Welcome!  Happy to hear that your schedule has lightened enough to come back to the book discussion.  We're going to take this slowly - since it is so long - so as not to overwhelm everyone.  We'll begin on Feb.15 with the first installment - which includes the first four chapters...approximately 45 pages long.

Oh - and I have to add, we're not really voting - just guessing about which Dickens titles Time is going to name #1 and #2.  You don't have to have read any of them to guess.  You must do it before Time names the #2 tomorrow, though.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
Thank you all. :) 
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

JudeS

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
Mea Culpa!
Ginny sorry I missed your birthday. Hope this new year had many pleasures in store for you!

salan

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
I'm ready to start reading!.  What pages/section will we cover first?  I got mine free on Kindle, didn't see the illustrated version or I would have sprung for 99 cents!
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
Sally, we'll start on Feb.15 with a discussion of the first installment - Chapters 1-4.  Forty five pages.  Just before the party leaves for Bleak House...  Don't worry about the illustrations...we'll post them here as they occurred in the illustrated installments.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
Thank you, Jude! :) I do love birthdays!

What excitement here, I can't stand it. WILL Bleak House be in the top 2? Love it!

I absolutely used to love the serialized books in the newspaper and think the reading of this one in that format is brilliant!

Frybabe

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »
They've put up #2 already this morning: Great Expectations

salan

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »
I recall (vaguely) some magazines used to publish serials.  Very smart on their part as it made sure that readers would purchase the next magazine.  It also promoted reading especially for those people who would never sit down to read an entire book.  Do any of you remember this?
Sally

Babi

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
 I think I've said this before, but there are times in the book when Dickens seems to fall in love with the cleverness of his own words, and
can't seem to resist going on and on.  Sort of like those who seemto
love the sound of their own voices, and refuse to be interrupted. It should be easy to point out some of those passages.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
Sally - Woman's Weekly still does!  Not exactly intellectual, but very popular - in fact I have just seen that there is a programme on Radio 4 this week to celebrate 50 years of WW.  I think it will be fascinating - I remember my grandmother used to buy it, and to be honest it hasn't changed much, still the happy mix of light fiction, recipes and knitting patterns.  As a child I used to while away the long and tedious hours at grandma's house by reading the problem page at the back - in those days it was always immensely coy, with things like:

"To N - you must visit your doctor immediately"

Such material for the 10 year old imagination!

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
Egads i am getting error dialog when i try to open the book on my nook.  Hope i get it figured out, or off to the library i go......grrrr technology can be so frustrating!

Ciao for now...
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
Frybabe!  That is amazing news!  Great Expectations - in the Number 2 spot!  So what does this mean? 
Is Bleak House #1 - or Christmas Carol?  Did Bleak House make the top ten list at all?

What do you all think now?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2012, 09:42:09 AM »
wow did any of us see that coming - Great Expectations as number 2...?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
That was a surprise.  I had expected GE to be No. 1.  Then that leaves A Christmas Carol for No. 1.  No way is it going to be Bleak House.  It's just not as well-known.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
 wow did any of us see that coming - Great Expectations as number 2...?

Yes one of us did. hahaha, but I am wavering now on A Christmas Carol as #1 because I don't know the criteria they are using for "greatest books." So it might well be Bleak House which would be super for those who guessed that one.

I guess I'll  stick with A Christmas Carol as #1, tho I've lost a bit of confidence due to the "great" criterion.

:)

OH didn't  The Saturday Evening Post serialize books also?

Jonathan

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
It can't be The Carol. It's too limited in scope. It flashes across the skies like a meteor in late December. Bleak House is a companion all year round. Obviously Dickens loved words, words, words. And even more than writing them, he loved reading them. His public reads were always sellouts.

Happy, Happy belated, Ginny.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
Good for you Ginny!!!  8)

Just read an online Bio of Dickens - Holy Hannah he lived what he wrote - born and childhood in a debtors prison it goes on and on - sheesh...I had no idea...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
I guessed GE no. 2 and BH #1. That Christmas carol didn't count because it is not a full length novel.

I have read that Dickens novels were so popular in the US, that on the day a new installment was expected, there would be a riot of people at the dock waitingfor the boat bringing it. (wasn't that in a book we read here?)

I'm confused about the party. Is it tomorrow (the 7th) or the 15th? I have to get my wig cleaned!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
The Party is tomorrow - though it seems we are here already.  Let's Partay!

The discussion of Bleak House, whether it comes in first place, or not in the top ten at all will begin on FEB.15.  We'll start with the first installment...Chapters 1-4 on FEB.15.

JoanK - wear the dirty wig...no one will notice!  I'm in my yellow gown - have been wearing it for years.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
Just too tired after a day watching the procedures at the High Court of Chancery - So I will climb the stairs and take off my black bonnet and go to sleep and tomorrow I will peek in at the party but leave at home what everyone seems to have left behind with this law case - - Hope, Joy, Youth, Peace, Rest, Life, Dust, Ashes, Waste, Want, Ruin, Despair, Madness, Death, Cunning, Folly, Words, Wigs, Rags, Sheepskin, Plunder, Precedent, Jargon, Gammon, and Spinach.

salan

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2012, 06:07:49 PM »
I have my outfit ready--a long white satin victorial style nightgown.  Maybe I'll use by white shower cap as a night cap.  Now, what shall I sip????  Maybe hot buttered rum as a night cap.  Now who was the Dickens character that roamed around in her night clothes??
Maybe I am thinking of Miss Haversham in her wedding gown.
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2012, 06:41:56 PM »
I may be late to the party. George has decided what he wants for his birthday, so off I am to the grocery store and the local pizza emporium. Then it is a trip to his house to do laundry and kitty box cleaning.

bookad

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2012, 06:47:15 AM »
just a little party interlude here

any suggestions ...there are copies of the video 'Bleak House' in the library
should I look at it now (really curious to see the scenery behind the book) actually the librarian said it was in 3 videos and I have just reserved the first of the 3....or should I wait till having read the book

your comments would be welcome
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2012, 07:41:32 AM »

This is a big news in England today - with the  future king of England paid homage at the site where Dickens is buried.

"Contrary to his wish to be buried at Rochester Cathedral "in an inexpensive, unostentatious, and strictly private manner," he was laid to rest in the Poets' Corner of Westminster Abbey.

A printed epitaph circulated at the time of the funeral reads: "To the Memory of Charles Dickens (England's most popular author) who died at his residence, Higham, near Rochester, Kent, 9 June 1870, aged 58 years. He was a sympathiser with the poor, the suffering, and the oppressed; and by his death, one of England's greatest writers is lost to the world."

On Sunday, 19 June 1870, five days after Dickens's interment in the Abbey, Dean Arthur Penrhyn Stanley delivered a memorial elegy, lauding "the genial and loving humorist whom we now mourn", for showing by his own example "that even in dealing with the darkest scenes and the most degraded characters, genius could still be clean, and mirth could be innocent." Pointing to the fresh flowers that adorned the novelist's grave, Stanley assured those present that "the spot would thenceforth be a sacred one with both the New World and the Old, as that of the representative of literature, not of this island only, but of all who speak our English tongue."

Dickens's will stipulated that no memorial be erected to honour him. The only life-size bronze statue of Dickens, cast in 1891 by Francis Edwin Elwell, is located in Clark Park in the Spruce Hill neighbourhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the United States."  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2012, 08:05:48 AM »
Holy smokes!  And fog!  Have you clicked the link in the heading to Time Magazine's pick of the top ten Dickens novels?  What a way to start this celebration!

Wishing George a happy day, Frybabe - Tie a big bow on the clean kitty litter box. :D

bookad - Bleak House is a mystery.  Do you really want to view the outcome weeks before you have finished the book?  My advice - don't do it.  Others have commented on Dickens words...words...words.  I find I'm used to it now...letting them work their magic painting not only the scenery you are looking for, but the mood.  What do others respond to Deb's question?

Frybabe

« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »
I am soon off on my errands for George. He thanks you all for your greetings.

I took a peek at the count down. They have #1 up there already. All of you who were rooting for Bleak House have been rewarded. Catch you at the party later.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
Come back in costume, Frybabe!  We'll still be here!

Sally in her  white shower cap  asks "Now who was the Dickens character that roamed around in her night clothes?"

Did you spot me - over by the cake?   Don't touch the cake, really, don't even sample the frosting.  I hope you brought something to eat.  I'm a terrible hostess.  I'm in my yellow gown - yellowing gown, I should say...I know it's early to be dressed up like this - but I never take it off - always ready for the party to begin!