Author Topic: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant  (Read 352409 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant
« Reply #2320 on: December 08, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »

"I want to know what were the steps by which
man passed from barbarism to civilization (Voltaire)"

What are our origins?
Where are we now?
Where are we headed?
Share your thoughts with us!

Volume VI THE REFORMATION

"Four elements constitute Civilization -- economic provision, political organization, moral traditions, and the pursuit of knowledge and the arts. "

"I shall proceed as rapidly as time and circumstances will permit, hoping that a few of my contemporaries will care to grow old with me while learning. "

"These volumes may help some of our children to understand and enjoy the infinite riches of their inheritance."

"Civilization begins where chaos and insecurity ends."

This volume, then, is about YOU. Join our group daily and listen to what Durant and the rest of us are saying. Better yet, share with us your opinions.

SeniorLearn Contact: JoanK & Discussion Facilitator: Trevor

I know i got an "A" in my graduate course in Russian History, but if asked me about any details, i couldn't tell you much. I do know rulers names and i know some of Ivan the Terrible's story and the upcoming Catherine and Peter. Their accomplishments were more then just wars, that probably interested me more.

Going back to Durant's comment on Europe and it's becoming the Europe we knew in the mid - 20th century......i remember being surprised in my undergrad European Histry course when i found out that Italy, as i knew Italy all of my life, had just become "Italy" in 1870. Have i said that before? That's one of the reasons i like history, learning how we got to "now." have you seen that tv show on PBS? My first assignment to my US History 102 classes (post Civil War) was "talk to the oldest people in your family and find out how you got to NJ in the 1990s". Most of them actually liked doing it and learned a lot about their family history that no one had ever talked about before.

Yes, Durant's writing is well-done, colorful, sarcastic and witty, and sometimes boring! Like most history!

There is something unigue and interesting about the Russian persona. I speak only from books, movies and histories, i've never known a Russian person personally.

Sorry for the jumbled message, i am waiting for my grandson to come out of school and there is a grandmother with three grandchildren who are running everywhere and she hasn't stopped yelling at them with one order after another for the last 10 minutes!!! My concentration has been off! Arghhhhh!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2321 on: December 09, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
JEAN: you find it hard to concentrate when dealing with your grandchildren? gee, I never heard of that before.  ;)

Thanks for your comment on unification. Yes, thinking about it, it was mainly Spain, England (and Portugal) who were looking outward to new exploration and trade. And the rest of Europe looking inward.

I never took a graduate history course. The simpler ones I took concentrated too much on names of kings and battles, none of which interested me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2322 on: December 09, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »
I remember reading the comment that Spain  wasted all the wealth she got from the New World on lavish churches and fruitless European wars, and is still poor. Of course France gave away much of her holdings for peanuts in the Louisiana Purchase.  I don't know what happened in Portugal. Only England was able to hold on to wealth from trade and conquest for a long time.

Is that too simplistic?

mabel1015j

« Reply #2323 on: December 09, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
Yeah, a little :)....... There are the Louis' and Napoleon who spent a lot of money and men in France, altho they were the star in Europe for a long time (especially during the Enlightenment) before Napoleon got finished ravaging much of Europe. Little tiny England did get control of much of the world for awhile. They were amazing. I can 't wait til we get to the 17th century. I know, it's coming very soon. Much more interesting than the "Middle Ages."

Jean

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2324 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »
Durants'  S  o  C
Vol. V I THE REFORMATION
Pgs. 653  -  656

III   IVAN    THE    TERRIBLE;    1533 - 1584

Vasili III Ivanovitch  ( 1505 - 1533 ) continued the integration of Russia. He brought Smolensk within his realm, and compelled the principalities of Ryazan and Novgorod- Severski to acknowledge his sovereignty. “Only the infants at the breast,” said a Russian annalist, “could refrain from tears” when the once proud republic of Pskov submitted to Vasili’s rule (1510). Russia was now a major European power; Vasili corresponded on equal terms with Maximilian I, Charles V, Suleiman the Magnificent, and Leo X. When some boyars tried to limit his autocracy he checked them with a contemptuous word -- “peasants!”-- and had one noble head cut off. Getting no children from his wife, he divorced her and married the accomplished and masterful Helena Glinski. The boyars resumed their turbulence when she died; their rival factions controlled the government in turn; they disordered the cities with their violence, and spilled the blood of their helpless muzhiks in civil war.

Among these struggles the young Sovereign of All the Russias was almost ignored, even at times left destitute. Seeing brutality everywhere around him, he took it as accepted behaviour, adopted the most cruel sports, and grew into a moody and suspicious youth. Suddenly, while still a boy of thirteen he threw to his dogs Andrei Shuiski, leader of a boyar faction, and seized command of the state. Three years later he had himself crowned czar by the metropolitan of Moscow. Then he ordered a selection of noble virgins to be sent to him from divers parts of his realm; from them he chose and married Anastasia Romanovna, whose family name would designate a dynasty.

In 1550 he summoned the first national assembly (Zemski Sobor) of all Russia. He confessed to it the errors of his youth, and promised a just and merciful government. Perhaps influenced by the Reformation in Germany and Scandinavia, the assembly considered a motion to confiscate ecclesiastical wealth for the support of the state. The proposal was rejected, but a related motion was passed by which all allodial lands -- those free from liens -- deeded to the church, were to be restored, all gifts made to the Church during Ivan’s minority were cancelled and monasteries were no longer to acquire certain kinds of property without the czar’s consent. The clergy were partly appeased when Ivan took the priest Sylvester as his spiritual director and made him and Alexis Adashef his chief ministers. Supported by these able aids, Ivan at twenty-one was master of a realm reaching from Smolensk to the Urals, and from the Arctic Ocean almost to the Caspian Sea.

His first care was to strengthen the army, and to balance the forces provided by the unfriendly nobles with two organizations responsible directly to himself. Cossack cavalry and Strietsi infantry armed with barquebuses -- matchlock firearms invented in the fifteenth century. The Cossacks originated in that century as peasants whose position in South Russia, between Moslems and Muscovites, obliged them to be ready to fight at short notice, but gave them irresistible opportunities to rob the caravans that carried trade between south and north. The main Cossack “hosts”-- the Don Cossacks in south-eastern Russia and the Zaporogue Cossacks in the southwest--- were semi-independent republics , strangely democratic; male householders chose a hetman ( German Hauptmann, head man) as executive officer of a popularly elected assembly. All land was owned in common, but was leased to individual families for temporary use; and all classes were equal before the law. Famous for their dashing courage, the Cossack horsemen became the main support of Ivan IV at home and in war.

His foreign policy was simple: he wanted Russia to connect the Baltic sea with the Caspian. The Tatars still held Kazan, Astrakhan, and the Crimea, and still demanded tribute from Moscow, though in vain. In 1552 the young Czar led 150,000 men against the gates of Kazan in a siege that lasted fifty days. The 30,000 Moslems resisted with religious pertinacity; they sallied out in repeated sorties; and when some of them were captured  and hanged on gibbets before the walls, the defenders shot them with arrows, saying “it was better for these captives to receive death from the clean hands of their countrymen than to perish by the impure hands of Christians. When the besiegers lost heart after a month of failure, Ivan sent to Moscow for a miraculous cross; this, displayed to them, reanimated his men; on both sides God was conscripted into military service. A German engineer mined the walls; they collapsed; the Russians poured into the city, crying “God with us!” -- and massacred all who could not be sold as slaves. Ivan, we are told wept with pity for the defeated; “they are not Christians,” he said, “but they are men”. He repeopled the ruins with Christians. Russia acclaimed him as the first Slav to take a Tatar stronghold, and celebrated the victory as France had hailed the check of the Moslems at Tours (732). In 1554 Ivan took Astrakhan , and the Volga became a completely Russian stream. The Crimea remained Moslem until 1774, but the Cossacks of the Don now bowed to Moscow’s rule.

Having cleared his frontier in the east, Ivan looked toward the west. He dreamed of Russian commerce flowing west and north along great rivers into the Baltic. He envied the industrial and commercial expansion of Western Europe, and looked for any opening by which the Russian economy might attach itself to that development. In 1553 Sir Hugh Willoughby and Richard Chancellor were commissioned by London merchants to find an Arctic route around Scandinavia to China. They sailed from Harwich in three vessels, two perished in a Lapland winter, but Chancellor reached the site of Arkhangelsk, which the British so named after the archangel Michael. Chancellor made his way through a hundred hardships to Moscow. With him, and later with Anthony Jenkinson, Ivan signed treaties giving “The London and Muscovite Company” special trading privileges in Russia, but Charles V refused to agree to the idea of Russia trading through Germany.

A great river, the Southern Dvina, flowed from the heart of Russia into the Baltic near Riga, but through hostile Livonia. The headquarters of the Dvina and Volga were not far apart; the two rivers could be connected with canals; here, by “manifest destiny” was the water route  that might atone for the disproportion of Russia’s enormous land mass to her coasts and ports; so the Baltic would mingle with the Caspian and the Black Sea,  East and West would meet, and amid the interchange of goods and ideas the West could repay some of its ancient cultural debt to the East.

So in 1557 Ivan invented a casus belli -- usually a case of the belly -- with Livonia. He sent against it an army, under Shah-Ali, lately Tarta Khan of Kazan; it ravaged the country brutally, burning houses and crops, enslaving men, raping women till they died. In 1558 another Russian army captured Narva, only eight miles from the Baltic. Desperate Livonia appealed to Poland, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, all central Europe trembled at the prospect of a Slav inundation reaching westward, as in the sixth century, to the Elbe. Stephen Báthory roused the Poles, and led them to victory over the Russians at Polotsk ( 1582). Ivan, defeated yielded Livonia to Poland.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2325 on: December 10, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
WOW! I wish I had a map. I'm so ignorant of geography, it's hard to follow.

The horsemen of Mongolia are still famous. Are these the descendants of the Cossacks?

mabel1015j

« Reply #2326 on: December 10, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »
Yes, map is necessary, Russia covers a lot of ground ( so to speak).

Jean

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2328 on: December 11, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
Durants'  S  o  C
Vol. VI    THE REFORMATION
PGS 656 - 660

IVAN THE TERRIBLE  (cont.)       

Ivan, defeated, yielded Livonia to Poland.. Long before this decisive setback the failure of his campaigns had led to revolt at home. The merchants whom Ivan had thought to enrich with new avenues of trade lost stomach for the costly and disruptive war. The nobles had opposed it as bound to unite the Baltic Powers. During and before the war, Ivan had suspected the boyars of conspiracies against the throne, several of whom deserted to Poland, and took up arms against Russia; in 1564 Ivan’s bosom friend and leading general, Prince Andei Kurbski, joined this flight. From Poland Kurbski sent to Ivan what amounted to a declaration of war. Kurbski, in the evening of his life, wrote a relentlessly hostile “History of Ivan,” which is our chief source for Ivan’s ‘terribilitia’.

These plots and desertions illuminate the most famous and peculiar event of the reign. On Dec 13, 1564, Ivan left Moscow with his family, his treasury, and a small force of soldiery, withdrew to his summer home at Alexandrovsk, and sent to Moscow two proclamations. One alleged that the boyars, the bureaucracy, and the Church had conspired against him and the state; therefore “with great sorrow” he now resigned his throne, and would henceforth live in retirement.. The other assured the people of Moscow that he loved them, and they might  rest assured of his lasting good will. They broke out in threatening cries against the nobility and the clergy, and demanded that a deputation of Bishops and boyars should go to the Czar, and beg him to resume his throne. It was done, and Ivan agreed  to “take unto him his state anew.”

He returned to Moscow ( Feb. 1565 ). He summoned  the national assembly, and announced that he would execute the leaders of the opposition, and confiscate their property. The assembly, fearing the revolt of the masses, yielded and dissolved. Ivan decreed that Russia should be divided into two parts; one , the assemblage of provinces, was to remain under the government of the boyars and their duma; it was to be taxable in gross by the Czar. The other half," the separate estate,” was to be ruled by him, and was to be composed of lands assigned by him to this separate class, chosen by him to police and administer this half realm. The new officials -- at first a thousand, ultimately six thousand, were selected chiefly from the younger sons of the nobility, who being landless, were ready to support Ivan in return for the estates now being  conferred upon them. These lands were taken largely from the confiscated properties of the rebellious boyars. This revolution was akin to that which Peter the Great attempted  150 years later.

Ivan’s revolution, like others, had its terror. A monastic chronicle, presumably hostile to him, reckoned the casualties of his wrath in those years (1560-1570) at 3,470; often it reports, the victim was executed with his wife, or with his wife and children. An Englishman, who witnessed some of the butchery prayed, “ Would to God our own stiff-necked rebels were taught their duty to their Prince after the same fashion!”

The climax of the terror came in Novgorod. Ivan had recently given its archbishop a large sum to repair churches. But he was informed that a document -- not indisputably genuine -- had been found behind a picture of the Virgin in a Novgorod monastery, pledging the co-operation of Novgorod and Pskov with Poland in an attempt to overthrow the Czar. On January 2, 1570, a strong military force, pounced upon Novgorod, sacked its monasteries, and arrested 500 monks and priests. Arriving in person on January 6, Ivan ordered those clerics who could not pay fifty roubles’ ransom to be flogged to death. According to the Third Chronicle of Novgorod a massacre of the population ensured for five weeks; sometimes 500 persons were slain in a day; Since many merchants, eager for the reopening of trade with the West, were believed to have shared in the conspiracy, the soldiers of the Czar burned all the shops in the city and the homes of the merchants in the suburbs; even farm houses in the environs were destroyed. Unless unfriendly chroniclers have exaggerated the carnage, we must go back to the punishment of rebellious Liége by Charles the Bold (1468) or the Sack of Rome by the troops of Charles V (1527) to find analogies for Ivan’s savage revenge. Novgorod never recovered its old prominence in the commercial life of Russia. Ivan passed on to Pskov, where he restricted his soldiers to pillage. Then he returned to Moscow, and celebrated with a royal masquerade ball his escape from a dangerous conspiracy.
So turbulent a reign hardly favoured economic progress or cultural pursuits. Commerce was favoured in peace and wounded in war. In the lands allotted by Ivan, and then in other lands as well, the peasant was legally attached to the soil as a means of promoting continuous cultivation  (1581); serfdom, rare in Russia before 1500, became by 1600 the law of the land. Taxation was predatory, inflation was precipitous. The rouble in 1500 was worth ninety-four, in 1600 twenty-four times the rouble of 1910; we need not follow the decline further, except to note, as one of the lessons of history, that money is the last thing that a man should save.

The improvident fertility of families and exhaustion of soils compelled a restless migration to fresh terrain. When this passed the Urals it found a Tatar khanate established over a population of Bashkirs and Ostyaks, around a capital known by the Cossack word Sibir. In 1581 Semen Stroganov enlisted 600 Cossacks and sent them under Ermak Timofeevitch to conquer these tribes. It was done; western Siberia became part of the swelling Russian realm; and Ermak, who had been a brigand chief, was canonized by the Orthodox Church.

The Church remained the real ruler of Russia, for the fear of God was everywhere, while Ivan’s reach was limited. Strict rules of ritual, if not of morality, bound even the Czar; the priests saw to it that he washed his hands after giving audience to ambassadors from outside the orthodox pale. No Roman Catholic worship was allowed, but Protestants were tolerated as fellow foes of the Roman Pope. Ivan, at a Sunday service in the Cathedral of the Assumption (1568). Phillip, metropolitan of Moscow, conspicuously refused the blessing that Ivan requested. When his attendants demanded reason for the refusal, Philip began to list Ivan’s crimes and debaucheries. “Hold thy peace,” cried the Czar, and give me thy blessing!” “my silence, answered the prelate, lays a sin upon thy soul, and calls down thy death.”
Ivan departed unblessed, and for a wondering month Philip remained unhurt. Then he was seized and dragged to prison. His fate is debated; the account accepted by the Russian Church is that he was burned alive. In 1652 he was canonized and his relics remained till 1917 an object of reverence in the Uspenskiy Sobor.

The Church produced most of the literature and art of Russia. Ivan’s confessor Sylvester composed a famous Domostroi, or Household Book, as a guide to domestic economy, manners, and eternal salvation; we note in it the admonition to the husband to beat his wife lovingly, and precise instructions for spitting, and blowing of the nose.

The most brilliant product of Russian art under his rule was the Church of Basil the Blessed (Khram Vasilia Blajennoi), which still stands aloof from the Kremlin at one end of the Red Square. On returning from his triumphant campaigns against Kazan and Astrakan, Ivan began what he called Pokrovski Sobor -- the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Virgin, to whom he judiciously ascribed his victories. Around this central shrine of stone there later rose seven chapels in wood, dedicated to saints on whose festivals Ivan had overcome his foes. Each chapel was crowned with a graceful painted cupola, each bulbous but varying from the others in ornament. The final chapel, raised to St. Basil in 1588, gave its name to the whole charming ensemble. Inevitable legend credited the architecture to an Italian, and told how Ivan had gauged out his eyes lest he should ever rival this masterpiece; but it was two Russians, Barma and Postnikov, who designed it, merely adopting some Renaissance motives in its decoration. Every year, on Palm Sunday, as part of the wisdom of government, the lords and clergy of Moscow walked in awesome procession to this Cathedral; the metropolitan rode sideways on a horse equipped with artificial ears, to simulate the ass on which Christ  was described as entering Jerusalem; and the Czar, on foot, humbly lead the horse by the bridle. Banners, crosses, icons, and censers flourished, and children raised hosannas of praise and gratitude to inclement skies for the blessings of Russian life.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2329 on: December 13, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
What a way to find out if the people would support him! And once he had their support, he did anything he wanted (almost).

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2330 on: December 13, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »
IVAN the TERRIBLE  (Cont.)

By 1580 Ivan seemed to have triumphed over all his enemies. He had survived several wives, was married to a sixth, and thought of adding another in friendly bigamy. He had four children; the first died in infancy, the third, Feodor, was a half wit; the fourth, Dmitri was alleged to have epileptic fits. One day in November 1580, the Czar,  seeing the wife of his second son, Ivan in what seemed to him immodest attire, reproved and struck her; she miscarried; the Czarevitch reproached his father; the Czar, in unpremeditated rage, struck him on the head with the imperial staff; the son died from the blow. The Czar went insane with remorse; he spent his days and nights crying aloud with grief; each morning he offered his resignation; but now even the boyars preferred him to his sons. He survived three years more. Then a strange disease attacked him, which made his body swell and emit an unbearable stench. On March 18,1584, he died while playing chess with Boris Godunov. Gossip accused Boris of poisoning him, and the stage was set for grand opera  in the history of the Czars.

We must not think of Ivan as merely an ogre of brutality. Tall and strong, he would have been handsome but for a broad flat nose that overlay a spreading moustache and heavy auburn beard. The appellation ‘Groznyi’ is mistranslated Terrible; it meant, rather, awesome, like the ‘Augustus’ that was applied to the Caesars; Ivan III had also received the same name. To our minds, and even to his cruel contemporaries, he was repulsively cruel and vengeful, and he was a merciless judge. He lived in the age of the Spanish Inquisition, the burning of Servitus, the decapitating habits of Henry VIII, the Marian Persecution, the Massacre of St. Bartholomew; When he heard of this holocaust  ( which a pope welcomed with praise) he denounced the barbarism of the West. He confessed and at times exaggerated his sins and crimes, so that his enemies could only plagiarize him in their accusations. He had a sense of  humour, and could roar with Jovian laughter, but a sinister cunning showed often in his smile. He paved his hell with wonderful intensions; he would protect the poor and the weak against the rich and strong; he would favour commerce and the middle classes as checks on the feudal and quarrelsome aristocracy; he would open the door of trade in goods and ideas to the West; he would give  Russia a new administration class not bound, like the boyars, to ancient and stagnant ways; he would free Russia from the Tatars, and raise her out of chaos into unity. he was a barbarian barbarously struggling to be civilized.

He failed because he never matured to self mastery. The reforms that he had planed were half forgotten in the excitement of revolution. He left the peasants more bitterly subject to the landlords than before; he clogged the avenues of trade with war; he drove able men into the arms of the enemy; he divided Russia into hostile halves, and guided her into anarchy. He gave to his people a demoralising example of pious cruelty and uncontrolled passion. He killed his ablest son, and bequeathed his throne to a weakling whose incapacity invited civil war. He was one of many men of his time of whom it might be said that it would have been better for their country and humanity if they had never lived.

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2331 on: December 13, 2014, 11:16:07 PM »
Ivan survived five wives and sought more ! That maybe his greatest feat.  I have never heard of any wife who survived 6 husbands ! We men are the greatest!  Trevor.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2332 on: December 14, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »
 ;D ;D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2333 on: December 14, 2014, 04:54:44 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!

mabel1015j

« Reply #2334 on: December 15, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
"it's good to be the king," may be a better analysis Trevor.  :D

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2335 on: December 28, 2014, 03:32:34 AM »
Durants'   S  o  C
Vol. Vi  THE REFORMATION
Pgs. 663  -  666

THE GENIUS OF ISLAM. 

The Moslem world had sustained, from 1095 to 1291, a series of assaults as violent and religious as those by which it later subdued the Balkans and changed a thousand churches into mosques. Eight  Crusades, inspired by a dozen popes, had hurled the royalty, chivalry, and rabble of Europe against Mohammedan citizens in Asia Minor, Syria, Palestine, Egypt, and Tunisia; and though these attacks had finally failed, they had greatly weakened the order and resources of the Moslem states. In Spain the Crusades had succeeded; there Islam had been beaten back while its survivors  were crowded into a Granada whose doom was leisurely delayed. Sicily had been taken by the virile Normans. But what were these wounds and amputations compared to the wild and ruinous descent of the Mongols ( 1219-1258) into Transoxiana, Persia, and Iraq? City after city that had been a haven of Moslem civilisation was subjected to pillage, massacre, and fire -- Bokhara, Samarkand, Balkh, Merv, Nishapur, Rayy, Herat, Baghdad, . . . provincial and municipal governments were shattered; canals, neglected, succumbed to the swirling sand; commerce was put to flight; schools and libraries were destroyed; scholars and scientists were scattered, slaughted, or enslaved. The spirit of Islam was broken for almost a century. It slowly revived; and when Timur’s Tatars swept across western Asia in a fresh desolation, and the Ottoman Turks cut their way through Asia Minor to the Bosporus, no other civilisation in history had known disasters so numerous, so widespread, and so complete.

And yet the Mongols, Tatars, and Turks brought their new blood to replace the human rivers they had shed. Islam had grown luxurious and supine; Baghdad, like Constantinople, had lost the will to live by its own arms; men were so in love with easeful life that they half invited death; that picturesque civilization too, as well as the Byzantine, was ripe to die. But so rich had it been, that -- like ancient Greece and Renaissance Italy -- it was able, by its salvaged fragments and memories, to civilize its conquerors. Persia under the Mongol Il-Khans developed an enlightened government, produced good literature and majestic art, and graced history with a noble scholar, Rashidu’d-Din. In Anatolia the Turks were already civilized, and poets among them were as plentiful as concubines. In Egypt the Mamluks continued to build like giants; and meanwhile Islam was spreading through India to the farthest reaches of the east.

When Marco Polo set out across Persia (1271) to see the China of Kublai Khan, he found himself within the Mongol Empire almost all the way. History had never recorded so vast a realm. On the west it touched the Dnieper in Russia; in the south it included the Crimea, Iraq, Persia, Tibet, and India to the Ganges; in the east it embraced Indochina, China, and Korea; in the north lay its original home, Mongolia. Throughout these states the Mongol rulers maintained roads, promoted commerce, protected travellers, and permitted freedom of worship to diverse faiths.

Hulagu, grandson of Ghenghis Khan, after destroying Baghdad ( 1258) established a new capital at Maragha in northwest Persia. When he died (1265), his son Abaqa became Khan or prince of Persia, loosely subject to the distant Kublia Khan; so began the Il-Khan dynasty that ruled Persia and Iraq til 1337. Greatest of the line was Ghazan Khan. He broke off allegiance to the Great Khan in Mongolia and made his state an independent kingdom, with its capital at Tabriz. He reformed administration, stabilized the currency, protected the peasants from landlords and robbers, and promoted such prosperity as recalled Baghdad in its proudest days. He built a mosque, two colleges, a philosophical academy, an observatory, a library, a hospital. He set aside revenues from certain lands in perpetuity to support these institutions, and secured for them the leading scholars, physicians, and scientists of the age. He himself was a man of wide culture and many languages, including Latin.

Marco Polo described Tabriz as a “great and glorious city.” Fra Oderic (1320) pronounced it “ the finest city in world trade. Every article is found here in abundance..... The Christians say that the revenue the city pays to its ruler is greater than that which all France pays to its king.” Clavijo (1404) called it a “Mighty city abounding in riches and goods,” with “many fine buildings,” magnificent mosques, and “the most splendid bathhouses in the world.” Uljaitu continued the enlightened policies of his brother Ghazan. The  carer of his chancellor, Rashidu’d-Din Fadlu’llah, illustrates the prosperity of education, scholarship, and literature at this time. Rashidu’d-Din Fadlu’llah was born in 1247 at Hamadan, perhaps of Jewish parentage; so his enemies held, citing his remarkable knowledge of  Mosaic Law. He served Ababa as physician, Ghazan as premier, Uljaitu as treasurer. In an eastern suburb of Tabriz he established the Rab’-i-Rashidi, or Rashidi foundation, a spacious university centre. One of his letters, preserved in the Library of Cambridge University, describes it:
     In it we have built twenty-four Caravanserais ( Inns) touching the sky, 1500 shops and 30,000 fascinating houses. Salubrious baths, pleasant gardens, stores, mills, factories for cloth weaving and paper making.... have been constructed .... people from every city and border have been removed to the said Rab’, among them 200 reciters of the Koran. . . . we have given dwellings to 400 other scholars, theologians, jurists, and traditionalists in the street which is named “The street of the scholars.” Daily payments, pensions, yearly clothing allowances, soap money and sweets money have been granted for them all.  We have established 1,000 other students . . . and have given orders for their pensions and daily pay.. . . . in order that they may be comfortably and peacefully occupied in acquiring knowledge and profiting people by it. We have prescribed, too, which and how many students should study  with which professor and teacher; and after ascertaining each knowledge-seekers aptness of mind  and capability of learning a particular branch of the sciences . . . we have ordered him to learn that science. . . .

Fifty skilled physicians who have come from the cities of Hindustan, China, Misr {Egypt}, and Sha’m {Syria} have all been granted our particular attention and favour in a thousand ways; we have ordered that they should frequent our ‘House of Healing’ ( hospital) every day, and that every one should take ten students capable of learning medicine under his care, and train them in the practice of this noble art. For all these men. . . we have founded a quarter behind our hospital . . . their street is called the ‘Street of the Healers”. Other craftsmen and industrialists too, whom we have transferred from various countries, have been established, each group in a particular street.

We must marvel at the industry of a man who, while actively sharing in the administration of a kingdom, found time and knowledge to write five books on theology, four on      medicine and government, and a voluminous history of the world. He laboured seven years on his ‘Compendium of Histories’; Here were substantial accounts of Mongols from Genghis Khan to Ghazan; of the various Mohammedan states and dynasties in Eastern and Western Islam; of Persia and Judea before and after Mohammed; of China and India, with a full study of Buddha and Buddhism; and a chasteningly brief report on the doings and ideas of European kings, popes, and philosophers. He appears to have read Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew, Latin, Turkish, and Mongolian authorities -- in their original languages.

Much of his work has been lost, perhaps as a result of his political disaster. In 1312 Uljaitu associated with him Ali-Shah as co-chancellor of the exchequer. Under Uljaitu’s successor, Abu Sa’id, Ali-Shah spread divers charges against his colleague, and persuaded the Khan that Rashid’d-Din and his son Ibrahim had poisoned Uljaitu. The historian was dismissed and soon after put to death (1318), at the age of seventy, along with one of his sons. His properties were confiscated, his foundations were deprived of their endowments, and the suburb of Rab’-i-Rashidi was plundered and destroyed. After Abu Sa’id’s death a period of anarchy brought the dynasty of Il-Khans to an end, and their realm was divided into petty states ravaged by war and redeemed by poetry.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2336 on: December 28, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
"their realm was divided into petty states ravaged by war and redeemed by poetry,"

Is poetry redeeming? I would dearly love to read some of it.

And here, we learn nothing of all this. We learn "world history" meaning the history of Western Europe and the US.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2337 on: December 29, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »
Imagine what the world would be like after 1500, if we could remove the wars and distruction of knowledge, buildings, art, science, medicine, libraries from the "Dark Ages/Middle Ages" so that the Renaissance didn't not have to relearn all the things that the Greeks, Romans and Moslems had already learned. Imagine if some of these well organized, well run cities weren't destroyed, but continued in their progress.

Joan - even learning what we learn from "western civ", we still don't seem to learn that most wars are just destructive with few positive results, except in technology. WWII is the only war that seems to me to have been NEEDED to be fought. Some might say the Civil War was necessary, but others believe that the need for slaves was already decreasing and the society just needed to figure out how to emancipate and assimilate those 3 million people. I suppose there were other demagogues that should have been unseated, but humanity seems to be unable to find solutions to that situation that don't destroy people, places and knowledge in the process of destroying the demagogue.

Maybe step one would be to stop glamorizing the battles and the people who lead them with memorials everywhere and start glamorizing and building statues to researchers, caregivers, innovators and peacekeepers. I remember how hopeful many people were about the development of the United Nations concept, but it just became another battleground by the men of the Cold War.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2338 on: December 29, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »
JEAN: I couldn't agree with you more. One of the main things I've learned from this discussion is that people keep making the same mistakes over and over and -----.

We are incredibly lucky to live in a time and place where we have a decent chance of living a full life and seeing our family grow up around us. But we haven't seem to have been able to use that chance to build anything of lasting worth for the generations that follow us. Too caught up in the trials and tribulations of the day.

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2339 on: January 02, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »
DURANT'S  S  o  C
Vol. V I  THE REFORMATION
Pgs. 666 - 670

Hafiz:   1320 - 89
[After Abu Sa’id’s death a period of anarchy brought the dynasty of the Il-Khans to an end, and their realm was divided into petty states ravaged by war and redeemed by poetry.] For in Persia every other man wrote verses, and kings honoured poets only next to mistresses, calligraphers, and generals. In Hafiz’s time a score of Persian poets won renown from the Mediterranean to the Ganges and from Yemen to Samarkand. All of them, however, bowed to Shamsu’d-Din Muhammed Hafiz, and assured him that he surpassed the melodious Sa’id’s himself. He agreed with this estimate, and addressed himself reverently:

I have never seen any poetry sweeter than thine, O Hafiz,
I swear it by the Koran which thou keepest in thy bosom.

Hafiz means rememberer; it was given to anyone who, like our poet, had memorized the whole Koran. Born at Shiraz at a date and of ancestry unknown, he soon fell into verse. His first patron was Abu Ishaq, who had been appointed Shah of Fars ( southeastern Persia) by Ghazan Khan. Abu Ishaq so loved poetry that he neglected government. When warned that hostile forces were preparing to attack his capital, Shiraz, he remarked what a fool a man must be to waste so fair a spring on war. An insensitive general, Ibn-Muzaffar, captured Shiraz, killed Abu Ishaq ( 1352 ), forbade the drinking of wine, and closed every tavern in the town. Hafiz wrote a mournful elegy:

Though wine gives delight, and the wind distills the perfume
of the rose,
Drink not the wine to the strains of the harp, for the constable
is alert.
Hide the goblet in the sleeve of the patchwork cloak,
for time like the eye of the decanter, pours forth blood.
Wash the wine stain from your dervish cloak with tears,
for it is the season of piety, and the time of abstinence.

Muzaffar’s successor, finding prohibition impracticable, or having discovered that wine-bibers can be more easily ruled than puritans, reopened the taverns, and Hafiz gave him immortality. He followed Persian conventions in spending so many verses on wine; at times he reckoned a glass of wine as “worth more than a virgin’s kiss.” But even the grape grows dry after a thousand couplets, and soon Hafiz found love, virginal or practiced, indispensable to poetry:

Knowest thou what fortune is?  ’Tis beauty’s sight obtaining;
‘Tis asking in her lane for alms, and royal pomp disdaining.

No freedom now seemed so sweet as love’s slavery. . . .

Our stay is brief, but since we may attain
The glory that is love, do not disdain
To hearken to the pleadings of the heart;
Beyond the mind life’s secret will remain.

Leave then your work and kiss your dear one now,
With this rich council I the world endow;
When the spring buds lure, the wind deserts his mill
And gently glides to kiss the leafy bough....

He who made the gold and silk your tresses spun,
Who made the red rose and the white rose one,
And gave your cheek to them for honeymoon....
Can He not patience give to me, His son?

He seems at last to have cooled into marriage, if we interpret his subtle verses  rightly. He found a wife, and had several children, before he could quite make up his mind between woman and wine. In any case he became domesticated, cultivated a quiet privacy, and seldom stirred abroad. He would, he said, let his poems travel for him. His love for Shiraz kept him prisoner, he doubted if paradise itself had streams as lovely, or roses as red. He indited a laud, now and then, to the Persian  kinglets of his time, in hopes of a gift to ease his poverty; for there were no publishers in Persia to launch one’s ink upon public seas, and art had to wait, hat in hand, in the antechambers of nobles and kings.

The ‘divan’ or collected poetry of Hafiz contains 693 poems. Most are odes, some are quatrains, some are unintelligable fragments. They are more difficult than Dante to translate, for they jingle with multiple rhymes which in English make doggerel, and they teem with recondite allusions that tickled the wits of the time but now lie heavy on the wings of song.

Hafiz was one of those blessed and harassed souls who, through art, poetry, imitation, and half-unconscious desire, have become so sensitive to beauty that they worship -- with eyes and speech and fingertips -- every fair form in stone or paint or flesh or flower, and suffer in stifled silence as beauty passes by; but who find, in each day’s fresh revelation of loveliness or grace, some forgiveness for the brevity of beauty and the sovereignity of death. So Hafiz mingled blasphemies with his adoration, and fell into angry heresies even while praising the Eternal One as the source from which all earthly beauty flows. When he died his orthodoxy was so doubtful, and his hedonism so voluminous, that some objected to giving him a religious funeral; but his friends saved the day by allegorizing his poetry. A later generation enshrined his bones in a garden -- the Hafiziyya --- flaming with the roses of Shiraz, and the poets prediction was fulfilled -- that his grave would become “ a place of pilgrimage for the freedom lovers of the world.”

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2340 on: January 05, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »
Marcie posted this:

"I've just heard from Robby in response to the latest Book Bytes. He says:

Just wanted to let you know that I am still around.  I recently celebrated my 94th birthday and still go to work each day in my practice as a clinical psychologist in Warrenton, Virginia.  Please say “hello” to those around who may remember me.
rbiallok@earthlink.net

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2341 on: January 05, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »
I read somewhere that the Islamic idea of poetry is different. They look at single lines, and admire their beauty and beautiful language.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2342 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:33 PM »
Muzaffar’s successor, finding prohibition impracticable, or having discovered that wine-bibers can be more easily ruled than puritans, reopened the taverns, and Hafiz gave him immortality.

Loved this! Thank you Durants for the chuckle.

That's an interesting perspective, Joan, about Islamic poetry. One of the reasons i still like studying in my 8th decade. Tidbits of knowledge can give us new ways of looking at things.

Jean

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2343 on: January 09, 2015, 09:11:39 PM »
                                                           TIMUR:   1336  -  1405   

We first hear of the Tatars as a nomad people of Central Asia, kin and neighbours to the Mongols, and joining them in European raids. A Chinese writer of the thirteenth century describes the common run of them much as Jordanes had pictured the Huns a thousand years before; short of stature, hideous of visage to those unfamiliar with them , innocent of letters, skilled in war, aiming their arrows unerringly from a speeding horse, and continuing their race by an assiduous polygamy. In trek and campaigns they took with them bed and board -- wives and children, camels, horses, sheep, and dogs; pastured the animals between battles, fed on their milk and flesh, clothed themselves in their skins. They ate gluttonously when supplies were plentiful, but they could bare hunger and thirst, heat and cold, “ more patiently than any people in the world.” Armed with arrows -- sometimes tipped with  naphtha -- and cannon and all the medieval mechanisms of war, they were a fit and ready instrument for a man who dreamed of empire with his mother’s milk.

When Genghis Khan died ( 1227) he divided his dominions among his four sons. To Jagatai he gave the southern region around Samarkand, and the name of his son came to be applied to the Mongol or Tatar tribes under his rule. Timur ( i.e. iron ) was born at Kesh in Transoxiana to the emir of one such tribe. According to Clavijo the new “Scourge of God” assumed this function precociously: he organised bands of young thieves to steal sheep or cattle from near -by herds. His enemies called him Timur-i-Lang, Timur the lame, which careless Occidentals like Marlowe made into Tamburlane or Tamerlane. He found little time for schooling; he read poetry, and knew the difference between art and degeneration. When he was sixteen his father bequeathed to him the leadership of the tribe and retired to a monastery, for the world, the old man said, is filled with scorpions and serpents. The father, we are told, advised his son always to support religion. Timur followed the percept even to turning men into minarets.

In 1361 the Khan of Mongolia appointed Khoja Ilias governor of Transoxiana, and made Timur one of Khoja’s councillors. But the energetic youth was not ripe for statesmanship; he quarrelled violently with other members of Khoja’s staff, and was forced to flee from Samarkand into the desert.  He gathered some youthful warriors about him, and joined his band with that of his brother Amir Hussein, who was in like straits. They were raised to moderate fortune by being employed to suppress a revolt in Sistan. So ripened, they declared war on Khoja, deposed and slew him, and became joint rulers, at Samarkand. Five years later Timur connived at the assassination of his brother Amir Husein, and became sole sultan.

He taught the towns and tribes of Transoxiana to accept his rule docilely; he subdued  the rich cities of Herat and Kabul; he discouraged resistance and revolt by savage punishments. When the city of  Sabzawar surrendered after a costly siege, he took 2000 captives" piled them alive upon one another, compacted them with bricks and clay and erected them into a minaret, so that men, “being appraised of the majesty of his wrath, might not be seduced by the demon of arrogance.” The town of Zirih missed the point and resisted; the heads of its citizens made more minarets. In 1387 Isfahan yeilded, and accepted a Tatar garrison, but when Timur had gone the population rose and slew the garrison. He returned with his army, stormed the city, and ordered each of his troops to bring him the head of a Persian. Seventy thousand Isfahan heads, we are told, were set on the walls, or made into towers to adorn the streets. Appeased, Timur reduced the taxes that the city had been paying to its governor. The remaining towns of Persia paid ransom quietly.

While Timur was in south Persia, word was brought to him that Tuqatmish, Khan of the Golden Horde, had taken advantage of his absence to invade Tranoxiana. Timur marched 1000 miles north (consider the commissary problems involved in such a march), and drove Tuqatmish back to the Volga. Turning south and west, he raided Iraq, Georgia, and Armenia. Slaughtering routed the heretical Sayyids, whom he branded as “misguided communists.” He took Baghdad (1393) at the request of its inhabitants, who could no longer put up with the cruelty of their Sultan Ahmed ibn Uways. Finding the old capital in decay, he made his aids rebuild it; meanwhile he added some choice wives to his harem, and a celebrated musician to his court. Ahmed found asylum in Brusa with the Ottoman Sultan Bajazet I; Timur demanded Ahmed‘s extradition; Bajazet replied that this would violate canons of hospitality.

Timur would have advanced at once upon Brusa, but Tuqatmish had again invaded Transoxiana. The angry Tatar swept across south Russia, and while Tuqatmish hid in the wilderness, he sacked the Golden Horde’s cities of Saria and Astrakhan. Unresisted, Timur marched his army westward from the Volga to the Don, and perhaps planned to add all Russia to his realm. Russians of all provinces  prayed feverishly, and the Virgin of Vladimir was borne to Moscow between lines of kneeling supplicants who cried out, “Mother of God, save Russia!” The poverty of the steppes helped to save it. Finding little to plunder, Timur turned back at the Don, and led his weary and hungry soldiers back to Samarkand ( 1395 - 96).
In 1399, still remembering Ahmed and Bajazet, he marched forth again. He crossed Persia to Azerbaijan, deposed his wastrel son as governor there, hanged the poets and ministers who had seduced the youth into revelry, and redevistated Georgia. Entering Asia Minor, he besieged Sivas, resented its long resistance, and, when it fell, had 4000 Christian soldiers buried alive -- or were such stories war propaganda? Wishing to protect his flank while attacking the Ottomans, he sent an envoy to Egypt proposing a nonaggression pact. The Sultan al-Malik  imprisoned the envoy and hired an assassin to kill Timur. The plot failed. After reducing Aleppo, Hims, Baalbek, and Damascus, the Tatar moved onto Baghdad, which had expelled  his appointees. He took it at great cost, and ordered each of his 20,000  soldiers to bring him a head. It was done -- or so we are told:  rich and poor, male and female, old and young, paid this head tax, and their skulls were piled in ghastly pyramids before the city’s gates ( 1401). Moslem mosques, monasteries were spared; everything else was sacked and destroyed, so thoroughly that the once brilliant capital recovered only in our time, by the grace of oil.   (?!)

Feeling now reasonably sure on left and right, Timur sent Bajazet a final invitation to submit. The Turk, made too confident by his triumph at Nicopolis (1396) retorted that he would annihilate the Tatar army, and would make Timur’s chief wife his slave. The two ablest generals of the age joined battle at Ankara ( 1402 ). Timur’s strategy compelled the Turks to fight when exhausted by a long march. They were routed. Bajazet was taken prisoner, Constantinople rejoiced, Christendom was for half a century saved by the Tatars from the Turks. Timur continued Europeward to Brusa, burned it and carried away its Byzantine library and silver gates. He marched to the Mediterranean, captured Smyrna from the Knights of Rhodes, butchered its inhabitants, and rested at Ephesus. Christendom trembled again. The Genoese sent in their submissions and tribute. The Sultan of Egypt released the Tatar envoy, and entered the distinguished company of Timur’s vassals. The conqueror returned to Samarkand as the most powerful monarch of his time, ruling from Central Asia to the Nile, from the Bosphorous to India. Henry IV of England sent him felicitations, France sent him a bishop with gifts. Henry the III of Castile dispatched to him a famous embassy under Ruy Gonzalez de Clavijo.

BeckiC

« Reply #2344 on: January 09, 2015, 11:54:18 PM »
Marcie posted this:

"I've just heard from Robby in response to the latest Book Bytes. He says:

Just wanted to let you know that I am still around.  I recently celebrated my 94th birthday and still go to work each day in my practice as a clinical psychologist in Warrenton, Virginia.  Please say “hello” to those around who may remember me.
rbiallok@earthlink.net

I started taking the Latin 101 course this past year so I am very familiar with this website and all the various offerings for book discussions, news, TV shows, etc. So tonight I am reading a book that mentions SeniorLearn and the Story of Civilization's online discussion group which was led by one of the subjects in the book, Robert Iadeluca. Robby, as he is referred to in the book. Being curious by nature I decided to see if this gentleman was still leading the group and to my delight I see this post. I was doing the math in my head and knew he would be in his 90's and I really hoped he was still active on the site. What a wonderful treat for me seeing this post and although he is not active on SeniorLearn it is really fantastic to read he is working and still making a difference. Life surely is interesting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2345 on: January 10, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
BeckiC: it sure is, and we learn something every day. Trevor bravely took over when Robbie decided to move on, and is doing a great job. I've been on the site for over ten years.

Come join us.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2346 on: January 10, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »
My very limited knowledge of the moguls comes from two places. First a fascinating movie about an (American) Blind man, who learned Mongolian throat singing and traveled to Mongolia to compete in a throat-singing competition.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2347 on: January 10, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »
Here is a video of Mongolian throat singing. Starting minute 4 is a song, with pictures of Mongolia. The high whistling sound is also made with the throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeMfmqrKdk

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2348 on: January 10, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
my other contact with Mongolia is through giving microloans. Microloans were started by a banker in Bangladesh who won a nobel Peace Prize for it. he realized that poor people often needed just small amounts of money to start a business and become self sufficient. I give a microloan of $25 every month through an organization that has been set up : kiva.org Several of those have gone to families in Mongolia, sometimes to start a small business, sometime to make their house warmer for the winter (They don't seem to live in yurts anymore -- but in houses).

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2349 on: January 11, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »

Durant's  S  o  C
Vol. VI  THE REFORMATION
Pgs. 674 - 676

TIMUR (cont.)

Henry III of Castile sent a famous ambassador Ruy González de Clavijo to Timur. It is to Clavijo’s detailed memoirs that we owe most of our knowledge of Timur’s court. Clavijo left Cádiz on May 1403, travelled via Constantinople, Trebizond, Erzerum, Tabriz, Tehran (here first mentioned by a European), Nishapur, and Mashhad, and reached Samarkand August 1404. He had with some reason expected to find there only a horde of hideous butchers. He was astonished at the size and prosperity of Timur’s capital, the splendour of the mosques and palaces, the wealth and luxury of the court, the concourse of artists and poets celebrating Timur.

The city itself was over 2000 years old, had some 150,000 inhabitants, and “most beautiful houses,” and many palaces “embowered among trees”: altogether, and not including the extensive suburbs, Clavijo reckoned Samarkand to be “rather larger than Seville.”  Water was piped into houses from a river which ran by the city, and irrigation canals greened the hinterland. There the air was fragrant with orchards and vineyards; sheep grazed, cattle ranged, lush crops grew. In the towns were factories that made artillery, armour, bows, arrows, glass, porcelain, tiles, and textiles of unsurpassed brilliance, including the ‘kirimze’ or red dye that gave its name to crimson. Working in shops or fields, dwelling in houses of brick or clay or wood, or taking their ease urbanely on the riverside promenade, were Tatars, Turks, Arabs, Persians, Iraqis, Afghans, Georgians, Greeks, Armenians, Catholics, Nestorians, Hindus, all freely practicing their rights and preaching their contradictory creeds. The principal streets bordered with trees, shops, mosques, academies, libraries, and an observatory; a great avenue ran in a straight line from one end of the city to the other, and the main section was covered with glass.

Clavijo was received by the Tatar emperor. He passed through a spacious park “ wherein were pitched many tents of silk,” and pavilions hung with silk embroideries The tent was the usual abode of the Tatar; Timur himself, in this park, had a tent 300 feet in circumference. But there were palaces there too, with floors of marble or tile, and sturdy furniture inset with precious stones or sometimes altogether made of silver or gold. Clavijo found the monarch seated cross-legged on silken cushions “ under the portal of a most beautiful palace," facing a fountain that threw up a column of water which fell into a basin wherein apples bobbed incessantly. Timur was dressed in a cloak of silk, and wore a wide high hat studded with rubies and pearls. He had once been tall, vigorous, alert; now, aged sixty-eight, he was bent, weak, ailing, almost blind; he could barely raise his eyelids to see the ambassador.

He had acquired as much culture as a man of action could bear; he read history, collected art and artists, befriended poets and scholars, and could on occasion assume elegant manners. His vanity equalled his ability, which no one exceeded in that time. Contradicting Caesar, he reckoned cruelty a necessary part of strategy; yet, if we may believe his victims, he seems to have been often guilty of cruelty as mere revenge. Even in civil government he conferred death lavishly -- as to a mayor who had oppressed a city, or a butcher who had charged too much for  meat. He excused his harshness as needed in ruling a people not yet reconciled to law, and he justified his massacres as a means of forcing disorderly tribes into the order and security of a united and powerful state. But, like all conquerors he loved power for its own sake, and spoils for the grandeur they could finance.

In 1405 he set out to conquer Mongolia and China, dreaming of a half-world state that would wed the Mediterranean to the China sea. His army was 200,000 strong; but at Otrar, on the northern border of his realm, he died. His last orders were that his troops should march on without him; and for a while his white horse, saddled and riderless, paced the host. But his soldiers knew that his mind and will had been half their might; soon they turned back, mourning and relieved, to their homes. His children built for him at Samarkand the majestic Gur-i-Mir, or Mausoleum of the Emir, a tower crowned with a massive bulbous dome, and faced with bricks enamelled in lovely turquoise blue.

His empire crumbled with his brain. The western provinces almost at once fell away, and his progeny had to content themselves with the Middle East. The wisest of this Timurid line was Shah Rukh, who allowed his son Ulug to govern Transoxiana from Samarkand, while he himself ruled Khurasan from Herat. Under these descendants of Timur the two capitals became rival centres of a Tatar prosperity and culture equal to any in Europe at the time (1405-49). Shah Rukh was a competent general who loved peace, favoured letters and art, and founded a famous library at Herat. Ulug Beg cherished scientists, and raised at Samarkand the greatest observatory of the age. He was, says a florid Moslem biographer,

“Learned, just, masterful, and energetic, and attained to a high degree in astronomy, while in rhetoric he could split hairs. In his reign the status of men of learning reached its Zenith . . . In geometry he expounded subtleties, and in questions of cosmography he elucidated Ptolemy’s Almagest.... he recorded observations of the stars with the co-operation of the foremost scientists.... he constructed in Samarkand a college the like of which, in beauty, rank, and worth, is not to be found in seven climes.”

This paragon of patronage was murdered in 1449 by his bastard son; but the high culture of the Timurid dynasty continued under the sultans Abu Sa’id and Husein-ibn-Baiqara at Herat till the end of the fifteenth century. In 1501 the Uzbeg Mongols captured Samarkand and Bokhara; in 1510 Shah Ismail, of the new Safavid dynasty, took Herat. Babur, last of the Timurid rulers, fled to India, and founded there, a Mogul ( Mongol) dynasty which made Moslem Delhi as brilliant a capital as Medicean Rome. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2350 on: January 12, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
I seldom take time to think what a monstrous research job the Durant's did. How does he even know of the existence of Clavijo's memoirs, much less find a copy and read it. Wow.

BeckiC

« Reply #2351 on: January 18, 2015, 08:51:56 AM »
BeckiC: ........

Come join us.
Thank you for your kind invitation Joan. I am busy learning Latin from Ginny at the moment. Talk about learning something new everday.....;)
Best regards, BeckiC

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2352 on: January 18, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
Enjoy! :)

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2353 on: January 18, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »
Durant's  S  o  C
Vol.VI  THE REFORMATION
Pgs. 678 - 681

THE OTTOMANS:  1288 - 1517

History begins after origins have disappeared. No one knows where the “Turks” arose; some have guessed that they were a Finno-Ugric tribe of the Huns, and that their name meant a helmet, which is ‘durko’ in one Turkish dialect. They formed their languages from Mongolian and Chinese, and later imported Persian or Arabic words; these “Turkish” dialects are the sole means of classifying their speakers as Turks. One such clan took its name from its leader Seljuq; it grew from victory to victory, until its multiplied descendants, in the thirteenth century, ruled Persia, Iraq, Syria, and Asia Minor. A kindred clan under Ortoghrul fled in that century from Khurasan to avoid drowning in the Mongol inundation. It found military employment with the Seljuq emir of Konya ( Iconium) in Asia Minor, and received a tract of land to pasture its herds.When Ortoghrul died (1288?) his son Othman or Osman, then thirty years old, was chosen to succeed him; from him ,the Ottomans or Osmanlis received their name They did not before the nineteenth century, call themselves Turks; they applied that name to semi-barbarous peoples in Turkestan and Khursan.

In 1290, seeing that the Seljuqs were too weak to prevent him, Othman made himself the independent emir of a little state in north-western Asia Minor; and in 1299 he advanced his head-quarters westward to Yeni-sheir. He was not a great general, but he was patiently persistent; his army was small, but it was composed of men more at home on a horse than on foot, and willing to risk a weary life or limb for land, gold, women, or power. Between them and the Sea of Marmora lay drowsy Byzantine cities, ill governed and poorly defended. Othman laid siege to one such town, Brusa; Failing at first, he returned again and again to the attempt; finally it surrendered to his son Orkhan, while Othman himself lay dying at Yeni-Sheir (1326).

Orkhan made Brusa, sanctified with his father’s bones, the new capital of the Ottomans. “Manifest destiny” -- i.e., desire plus power drew Orkhan toward the Mediterranean, ancient circlet of commerce, wealth, and civilization. In the very year of Brusa’s fall he seized Nic-omedia, which became Izmid; in 1330 Nicaea which became Iznik; in 1336 Pergamum, which became Bergama. These cities, reeking with history, were centres of crafts and trade; they depended for food and markets upon environing agricultural communities already held by the Otomans; they had to live in this hinterland or die. They did not resist for long; they had been oppressed by their Byzantine governors, and heard that Orkhan taxed lightly and allowed religious liberty; and many of these Near Eastern Christians were harassed heretics -- Nestorians or Monophysites. Soon a large part of the conquered terrain accepted the Moslem Creed; so war solves theological problems before which reason stands in hesitant impotence. Having thus extended his realm, Orkhan took the title Sultan of the Ottomans. The Byzantine emperors made their peace with him, hired his soldiers, and allowed his son Suleiman to establish Ottoman strongholds in Europe. Orkhan died in 1359, aged seventy-one, firmly placed in the memory of his people.

His successors formed a dynasty hardly equalled in history for a merger of martial vigour and skill, administrative ability, barbarous cruelty, and cultured devotion to letters, science and art. Murad (Amurath) I was the least attractive of the line. Illiterate, he signed his name by pressing his inked fingers upon documents, in the fashion of less distinguished homicides. When his son Saondji led a criminally unsuccessful  revolt against him Murad tore out the youth’s eyes, cut off his head, and compelled the fathers of the rebels to behead their sons. He trained an almost invincible army, conquered most of the Balkans, and eased their submission by giving them a more efficient government than they had known under Christian domination.

Bjazet I inherited his father’s crown on the field of Korsova ( 1389).After leading the army to victory, he ordered the execution of his brother Yakub, who had fought valiantly throughout that crucial day. Such fratricide became a regular aftermath of an Ottoman accession, on the principal that sedition against the government was so disruptive that all potential claimants to the throne should be disposed of at the earliest convenience. Bajazet earned the title of Yielder -- the Thunderbolt -- by the speed of his military strategy, but he lacked the statesmanship of his father, and wasted some of his wild energy in sexual enterprise. Stephen Lazarevitch, vassal ruler of Serbia, contributed a sister to Bajazet’s harem; this Lady Despoina became his favourite wife, taught him to love wine and sumptuous banquets, and perhaps weakened him as a man.  His pride flourished till his fall. After deflowering Europe’s chivalry at Nicopolis he released the Count of Nevers with a characteristic challenge:

“John I know well thou art a great lord in thy country, and son to a great lord. Thou art young, and peradventure thou shalt bear some blame or shame that this adventure hath fallen to thee in thy first chivalry; and to excuse thyself of this blame, and to recover thine honor, peradventure thou wilt assemble a puissance of men and come to make war upon me. If I were in doubt or fear of thereof , ere thou departed I should cause thee to swear by thy law and faith that never thou, nor none of thy company, should bear arms against me. But I will neither make thee nor none of thy company to make any such oath or promise, but I will that when thou art returned and art at thy pleasure, thou shalt raise what puissance thou wilt, and spare not, but come against me; thou shalt find me always ready to receive thee and thy company. And this that I say, show it to whom thou list, for I am able to do deeds of arms, and ever ready to conquer further into Christendom.”

When Timur captured Bajazet at Ankara he treated him well. He ordered the Sultans bonds removed, seated him at his side, and assured him that his life would be spared. But when Bajazet tried to escape he was confined to a room with barred windows, which legend  magnified into an iron cage. Bajazet fell ill; Timur summoned the best physicians to treat him and sent the Lady Despoina to console him. These ministrations failed to revive the vital forces of the broken Sultan. His son Mohammed I reorganized the Ottoman government. Though he blinded one pretender and killed another, he acquired the cognomen “Gentleman” by his courtly  manners, his just rule, and the ten years of peace that he allowed Christendom. Murad II had like tastes and preferred poetry to war. But when Constantinople set up a rival to depose him, and Hungary violated its pledge of peace, he proved himself at Varna (1444) as good a general as any. Then he retired to Magnesia in Asia Minor, where twice a week he held reunions of poets and pundits, read verse, and talked science and philosophy. A revolt at Adrianople called him back to Europe. When he died (1451) after thirty years rule, Christian historians ranked him  among the greatest monarchs of his time.. His will directed that he should be buried at Brusa in a modest chapel without a roof, “so that the mercy and blessing of God might come unto him with the shining of the sun and moon, and the falling of the rain and dew upon his grave.”

Mohammed II equalled his father in culture and conquests, political acumen, and length of reign, but not in justice or nobility. Bettering Christian instruction, he broke solemn treaties, and tarnished his victories with superfluous slaughter. He was orient ally subtle in negotiation and strategy. He spoke five languages, was well read in several literatures, excelled in mathematics and engineering, cultivated the arts, gave pensions to thirty Ottoman poets and gave royal gifts to poets in Persia and India. For this he was known as the “Sire of Good Works.” Mohammed was also “Sire of Victory”; to him and his canon Constantinople fell; under the guns of his navy the Black Sea became a Turkish pond; before his legions and diplomacy the Balkans crumbled into servitude. But this irresistible conqueror could not conquer himself. By the age of fifty he had worn himself out by every form of sexual excess; aphrodisiacs failed to implement his lust; finally his harem classed him with his eunuchs. He died (1481) aged fifty-one, just when his army seemed on the verge of conquering Italy for Islam.

A contest among his sons gave the throne to Bajazet II. The new sultan was not inclined to war but when Venice took Cyprus, and challenged Turkish control of the eastern Mediterranean, he roused himself, deceived his deceivers with a pledge of peace, built an armada of 270 vessels, and destroyed a Venetian fleet of the coast of Greece. A Turkish army raided northern Italy as far west as Vicenza( 1502). Venice sued for peace; Bajazet gave her lenient terms, and retired to poetry and philosophy. His son Selim deposed him and mounted the throne (1512).

History is in some aspects an alternation of contrasting themes: the moods and forms of one age are repudiated by the next, which tires of tradition and begets impressionism; a period of war calls for a decade of peace, and peace prolonged invites aggressive war. Salem I despised his father’s pacific policy. Vigorous in frame and will, indifferent to pleasures and amenities, loving the chase and the camp, he won the nickname “Grim,” by having nine relatives strangled to contracept revolt, and waging war after war of conquest. In 1515 he turned his artillery and Janissaries against the Mamluks, and added Syria, Arabia, and Egypt to his realm ( 1517). He carried to Constantinople as an honoured captive, the Cairene “Caliph”-- rather the high priest -- of orthodox Mohammedanism; and thereafter the Ottoman sultans, like Henry VIII, became the masters of the church as well as the state.

In the full glory of his powers Salem prepared to conquer Rhodes and Christendom. When all his preparations were complete he caught the plague and died (1520). Leo X, who had trembled more at Salem’s advance than at Luther's rebellion, ordered all Christian churches to chant a litany of gratitude to God.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2354 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »
Some interesting comments here:

"so war solves theological problems before which reason stands in hesitant impotence." Hmm.

And "History is in some aspects an alternation of contrasting themes: the moods and forms of one age are repudiated by the next, which tires of tradition and begets impressionism; a period of war calls for a decade of peace, and peace prolonged invites aggressive war."

Sociologists have been trying to figure out the latter for a long time.

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2355 on: January 19, 2015, 10:56:44 PM »
Durants'  S  o  C
Vol. VI  THE REFORMATION
pgs. 689 - 692

Islamic Thought 

In science and philosophy the glory had gone. Religion had won its war against them, just when it was giving ground in the adolescent West. The highest honours now went to theologians, dervishes, fakirs, saints; and scientists aimed rather to absorb the findings of their predecessors than to look nature freshly in the face. At Samarkand Moslem astronomy had its last fling when the stargazers in the observatory of Uleg Beg formulated (1437) astronomical tables that enjoyed high esteem in Europe till the eighteenth century. Armed with tables and an Arab map, an Arab navigator piloted Vasco da Gama from Africa to India on the historic voyage that ended the economic ascendancy of Islam.

In Geography the Moslems produced a major figure in this age. Born at Tangier in 1304, Mohammad Abu Abdalla ibn-Batuta wandered through Daru’l-Islam -- the Mohammedans World -- for twenty-four years and returned to Morocco to die in Fez. His itinerary suggests the immense spread of Mohammed’s creed: he claims to have travelled 75,000 miles ( more than any other man before the age of steam); to have seen Granada, North Africa, Timbuktu, Egypt, the Near and Middle East, Russia, India, Ceylon, and China, and to have visited every Moslem Ruler of the time. We see our own provincialism mirrored in him when he lists “the seven mighty kings of the world,” all Moslems except one Chinese. He describes not only persons and places, but the fauna, flora, minerals, food, drinks, and prices in various countries, the climate and physiography, the manners and morals, the religious rituals and beliefs. He speaks reverently of Jesus and Mary, but takes some satisfaction in noting that “ every pilgrim who visits the church [ of the Resurrection in Jerusalem ] pays a fee to Moslems.” When he returned to Fez and related his experiences, most of his hearers put him down as a romancer, but the vizier ordered a secretary to record Batuta’s dictated memoirs. The book was lost and almost forgotten until it was discovered in modern French occupation of Algiers.

Between 1250 and 1350 the most prolific writers on “natural history “ were Moslems. Mohammed ad-Damiri of Cairo wrote a 1,500-page book on zoology. Medicine was still a Semitic forte; hospitals were numerous in Islam; a physician of Damascus, Ala’al-din ib n-al-Nafis, expounded the pulmonary circulation of the blood 270 years (c. 1260) before Servitus; and a Granada physician, Ibn-al-Katib, ascribed the black death to contagion --  and advised quarantine for the infected-- in the face of a theology that attributed it to divine vengeance on man’s sins. His treatise ‘On Plague’ ( 1360) contained a notable heresy: It must be a principle that a proof taken from the traditions of the companions of Mohammed “has to undergo modification when in manifest contradiction with the evidence of the senses”.

Scholars and historians were as numerous as poets. Always they wrote in Arabic, the Esperanto of Islam; and in many cases they combined study and writing with political activity and administration. Abu-l-Fida of Damascus took part in a dozen military campaigns, served al-Nasir at Cairo, returned to Syria as a governor of Hamah, collected an extensive library, and wrote some books that in their day stood at the head of their class. His treatise on Geography ( Taqwin al-Buldan ) outranged in scope any European work of the kind and time; it calculated that three quarters of the globe were covered in water, and noted that a traveller gained or lost a day in going westward or eastward around the world.

But the great name in the historiography of the fourteenth century is Abd-er-Rahman ibn-Khaldun. Here is a man of substance, even to Western eyes: solid with experience, travel, and practical statesmanship, yet familiar with the art and literature, science and philosophy of his age, and embracing almost every Moslem phase of it in a ‘Universal History’. The Black Death took his parents and many teachers, but he continued his studies until “I found at last that I knew something’- - a characteristic delusion of youth. At twenty he was secretary to the sultan at Tunis; at twenty-four, to the sultan at Fez; at twenty-five he was in jail. Returning to Africa, he became Chief minister to Prince Abu Abdallah, but he had to flee for his life when his master was deposed and slain. He removed to Cairo(1384). His fame as a scholar was already international; when he lectured in the Mosque students crowded round him. He was appointed royal judge, took the laws too seriously, and closed the cabarets, was lampooned out of office, again retired to private life. Restored once again as chief qadi, he accompanied Sultan Nasir in a campaign against Timur. The Egyptian forces were defeated and the sultan sought refuge in Damascus. Timur besieged it; the historian, now an old man, led a delegation to ask lenient terms of the invincible Tatar. Like any other author he brought a manuscript of his history with him; he read to Timur the section on Timur, and invited corrections. The plan worked; Timur freed him; soon he was once more chief judge at Cairo; and he died in office at the age of seventy-four.

Amid this hectic career he composed an epitome of Averroes’ philosophy, and treatises on logic and mathematics, a History of the Berbers, and The Peoples of the East. Only the last three works survive. He also authored the Prolegomena, one of the highlights in Islamic literature and in the philosophy of history, an amazingly “modern” product for a medieval mind. He conceives history as “an important branch of philosophy,” and takes a broad view of the historian’s task:

“History has for its true object to make us understand the social state of man, i.e., his civilization; to reveal  to us the phenomena that naturally accompany primitive life, and then the refinement of manners..... the diverse superiorities that peoples acquire, and which beget empires and dynasties; the diverse occupations, professions, sciences and arts; and lastly all the changes that the nature of things can effect in the nature of society.”

Believing himself the first to write history in this fashion, he asks pardon for inevitable errors:

“I confess that of all men I am the least able to traverse so vast a field.. . . I pray that men of ability and learning will examine my work with good will, and when they find faults will indulgently correct them. That which I offer to the public will have little value in the eyes of scholars . . .  but one should always be able to count on the courtesy of his colleagues.”

He hopes his work will help in the dark days that he foresees:

“ When the world experiences a complete overturn it seems to change its nature in order to permit new creation and a new organization. Hence there is need today of an historian who can describe the state of the world, of its countries and peoples, and indicate the changes in customs and beliefs.”

He devotes some proud pages to pointing out the errors of some historians. They lost themselves, he feels, in the mere chronicling of events, and rarely rose to the elucidation of causes and effects. They accepted fable almost as readily as fact, gave exaggerated statistics, and explained too many things by supernatural agency. As for himself, he proposes to rely entirely on natural factors in explaining events. He will judge the statements of historians by the present experience of mankind, and will reject any alleged occurrence that would now be accounted impossible. The true subject of history, says Ibn-Khaldun, is civilization: how it arises, how it is maintained, how it develops letters, sciences, and arts, and why it decays. Empires like individuals, have a life and trajectory of their own. They grow, they mature, they decline.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2356 on: January 20, 2015, 04:07:51 PM »
"“History has for its true object to make us understand the social state of man, i.e., his civilization; to reveal  to us the phenomena that naturally accompany primitive life, and then the refinement of manners..... the diverse superiorities that peoples acquire, and which beget empires and dynasties; the diverse occupations, professions, sciences and arts; and lastly all the changes that the nature of things can effect in the nature of society.”

And again " some historians...lost themselves, he feels, in the mere chronicling of events, and rarely rose to the elucidation of causes and effects."

My bias would put Abd-er-Rahman ibn-Khaldun as the first sociologist. What do you think?

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2357 on: January 22, 2015, 02:59:25 AM »
JoanK if you peek ahead to page 694, you'll find you are in good company.   Trevor

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #2358 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:31 AM »
                                                Islamic thought  (cont.) 

Empires grow, mature, decline. What are the causes of this sequence? The basic conditions of the sequence are geographical. Climate exercises a general but basic influence. The cold north eventually produces, even in peoples of southern origin, a white skin, light hair, blue eyes, and a serious disposition; the tropics produce in time a dark skin, black hair, “dilatation of the animal spirits,” lightness of mind, gaiety, quick transports of pleasure, leading to song and dance. Food affects character: a heavy diet of meats, condiments, and grains begets heaviness of mind and body, and quick succumbing to famine or infection; a light diet, such as desert peoples eat, makes for agile and healthy bodies, clearness of mind, and resistance to disease. There is no inherent inequality of potential ability among the peoples of  the earth; their advancement or retardation is determined by geographical conditions, and can be altered by a change in those conditions, or by migration to a different habitat.

Economic conditions are only less powerful than the geographical. Ibn-Khaldun divides all societies into nomad or sedentary, according to their means of getting food, and ascribes most wars to the desire for a better food supply. Nomad tribes sooner or later conquer settled communities because nomads are compelled by the conditions of their life to maintain the martial qualities of courage, endurance, and solidarity. Nomads may destroy a civilization, but they never make one; they are  absorbed, in blood and culture, by the conquered, and the nomad Arabs are no exception. Since a people is never long content with its food supply, war is natural. It is war that generates and renews political authority. Hence monarchy is the usual form of government, and has prevailed through nearly all history. The fiscal policy of a government may make or break a society; excessive taxation or the entry of a government into production and distribution, can stifle incentive, enterprise, and competition, and kill the goose that lays the revenues. On the other hand, an excessive concentration of wealth may tear a society to pieces by promoting revolution.

There are moral forces in history. Empires are sustained by the solidarity of the people, and this can best be secured through the inculcation and practice of the same religion; Ibn-Khaldun agrees with the popes, the Inquisition, and the Protestant Reformers on the value of unanimity in faith.

“To conquer, one must rely upon the allegiance of a group animated with one corporate spirit and end. Such a union of hearts and wills can operate only through divine power and religious support. When men give their hearts and passions to a desire for worldly goods, they become jealous of one another and fall into discord. If, however they reject the world and its vanities for the love of God .. .. jealousies disappear, discord is stilled, men help one another devotedly; their union makes them stronger; the good cause makes rapid progress, and culminates in the formation of a great and  powerful empire.”

Religion is not only an aid in war, it is likewise a boon to order in a society and to peace of mind in the individual. These can be secured only by a religious faith adopted without questioning. The philosophers concoct a hundred systems, but none has found a substitute for religion as a guide and inspiration for human life. “ Since man can never understand the world, it is better to accept the faith transmitted by an inspired legislator, who knows better than we do what is better for us, and has prescribed for us what we should believe or do.” After this orthodox prelude our philosopher-historian proceeds to a naturalistic interpretation of history.

Every Empire passes through successive phases. (1) A victorious nomad tribe settles down to enjoy its conquest of a terrain or state.” The least civilized peoples make the most extensive conquests.” (2) As social relations become more complex, a more concentrated authority is required for the maintenance of order; the tribal chieftain becomes king. (3) In this settled order wealth grows, cities multiply, education and literature develop, the arts find patrons, science and philosophy lift their heads. Advanced urbanization and comfortable wealth mark the beginning of decay. (4) The enriched society comes to prefer pleasure, luxury, and ease to enterprise, risk or war; religion loses its hold on human imagination or belief; morals deteriorate, pederasty grows; the martial virtues and pursuits decline; mercenaries are hired to defend the society; these lack the ardour of patriotism or religious faith; the poorly defended wealth invites attack by the hungry seething millions beyond the frontiers. (5) External attack, or internal intrigue, or both together, over throw the state. Such was the cycle of  Rome, the Amaroids and Almohads in Spain, of Islam in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Persia, and “it is always so.”

These are a few of the thousands of ideas that make the Maqaddama the most remarkable philosophical product of its century. Ibn-Khaldun has his own notions on almost everything but theology, where he thinks it unwise to be original. While writing a major work on philosophy he pronounces philosophy dangerous, and advises his readers to let it alone; probably he meant metaphysics and theology rather than philosophy in its wider sense, as an attempt to see human affairs in a large perspective. At times he talks like the simplest old woman in the market place; he accepts miracles, magic, the evil eye, the occult properties of the alphabet, divination through dreams, entrails, or the flight of birds. Yet admires science, admits the superiority of the Greeks to the Moslems in that field, and mourns the decline of scientific studies in Islam. He rejects alchemy, but acknowledges some faith in astrology.

Certain other discounts must be made. He shares many of the limitations of Islam. In three volumes of the Maqaddama he finds room for but seven pages on Christianity. He makes only casual mention of Greece, Rome, and Medieval Europe. Sometimes he is culpably ignorant: he thinks Aristotle taught from a porch, and Socrates from a tub. His actual writing of history falls far short of his theoretical introduction.

To recover our respect for Ibn-Khaldun we need only ask what Christian work of philosophy in the fourteenth century can stand beside the Prolegomena. Ibn-Khaldun felt, and with some reason that he had created the science of sociology. Our leading contemporary philosopher of history has judged the Muqaddama to be “undoubtedly the greatest work of its kind that has ever been created by any mind in any place or time.” We may agree with a distinguished historian of science, that the most important historical work of the middle ages was the Muqaddama of Ibn-Khaldun.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2359 on: January 22, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »
Empires grow, mature, decline. What are the causes of this sequence? The basic conditions of the sequence are geographical.... Economic conditions are only less powerful than the geographical....There are moral forces in history....Every Empire passes through successive phases"

I told you we had sociology here. Sociologists when studying a group always look at three things: economic conditions, the ideas or ideals of the people studied (including religion), and the power structure. They influence each other, and there are arguments about "which came first," but no argument that these are the important things. Only the ideas about the influence of geography are missing.