Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Winter Garden ~ Kristin Hannah ~ Prediscussion is open!

(1/34) > >>

BooksAdmin:
WELCOME
EVERYONE!
Please, join our
Pre-Discussion of
Winter Garden
by Kristin Hannah
The story of a Family
 learning and connecting
to its history and
to each other.
Discussion Dates
Pre-Discussion...April 23-29
Prologue 1972 - Chapter 6...April 30-May 6
Chapter 7 - Chapter 13...May 7-May13
Chapter 14 - Chapter 20...May 14-May20
Chapter 21 - Epilogue 2010...May 21-May30
Discussion Leader: Barb

BarbStAubrey:
Well we start - we've been looking forward to reading this book and Jonathan has posted a great endorsement for the story –

…you absolutely must read "Winter Garden" and participate in the discussion. It's a superlative book, on a par with Cherry-Garrard's "Worst Journey". It explores territory, which even angels would fear to tread. Absolutely engaging. My only advice would be not to read it before the discussion begins. Once begun, one can't put it down. It gave me the shivers.

In one breath it sounds glowing but on a darker note the Worst Journey was written by the survivors of a harrowing and ill-fated expedition– hmm ominous...

OK... we shall see what we shall see - this is the first time I’ve chosen not to read the book in advance.  I would like for a change to be surprised by each event as we read using our schedule.  I did read the last few paragraphs of a few chapters to determine where the logical breaks are for our discussion schedule – result, a few things popped up – could not help notice there appears to be a story inside a story with the last week's chapters devoted to an entire story that is told, I believe by the mother.

I did see mentioned, Indigenous Native craft and Cowichan sweaters, which suggests to me that we could spend some time this week finding out about the Cowichan people. 

Also valuable will be some background history about the battle pf Leningrad during WWII. 

Another topic to look into is the kind of apples they farm in Alaska.  I had no idea the weather was temperate long enough for apple orchards to prosper. I laughed realizing, as many think of Texas as miles of flat, windy ranchland with no trees so, I think of Alaska as covered in ice and snow 10 months out of the year. We need Judy to pop in and give us the low down on Alaska.

But more, do you have memories of doing something in the arts, like acting in a play or playing music with your sister or if you don’t have a sister, a best friend or a brother – Have you written in a journal about some of your childhood memories?

Who has had their DNA analyzed? If so, did you learn anything that helped anyone in your family?

Have you shared on tape or in an interview the stories of your childhood? Do you remember asking your parents or grandparents to tell you what it was like when they were little?   

How about – it would be fun - let’s all share one childhood memory of doing something, anything that involved our sister, brother or best friend.

OH my, yes - looking forward to this week with a variety of before the read issues and for us to get to know one another a bit more...  Laissez les bons temps rouler.

bellamarie:
Good Mornin!!  So excited to begin this book discussion. 

I grew up in a family with six siblings, ( one brother and five sisters), and my mother took in my two girl cousins who were one year older, and one year younger than myself, when I was eight years old.  So my younger sister, two cousins, and myself, became best friends.  We were inseparable.

Barb,
--- Quote ---But more, do you have memories of doing something in the arts, like acting in a play or playing music with your sister or if you don’t have a sister, a best friend or a brother
--- End quote ---

I remember my brother, sisters, two cousins and myself dressing up like the Beverly Hillbillies and acting out a skit in our basement.  I was Granny, my cousin was Jethro since her name was Jessie, afterwards Jethro stuck with her forever. I put on my step Dad's huge high top, dried muddy work books and clogged around in them.  We had so much fun!

--- Quote ---Have you shared on tape or in an interview the stories of your childhood? Do you remember asking your parents or grandparents to tell you what it was like when they were little?   
--- End quote ---

It's interesting you should ask this question Barb.  This past week-end our two youngest grandchildren spent the night with us and Saturday morning at the breakfast table Zak & Zoey kept asking my hubby and me to tell them stories about when we were little.  They could not get enough, we would end one and they would say, "Tell us one more."

--- Quote ---Have you written in a journal about some of your childhood memories?
--- End quote ---

I actually have begun writing a book, which includes my entire childhood.  I get stuck and stop from time to time, because it can get very emotional remembering and reliving some of the difficult times. 

Frybabe:
Got the book, haven't started reading it yet. Will only have it two weeks as there are people in line. Still behind four people on Overdrive.

BarbStAubrey:
Your fine Frybabe - we do not start discussing the book this week - from what I see the excerpt that Amazon includes is not the beginning of the book that starts with a seven page prologue entitled 1972 and then it goes into 2000 and so if the book is delayed at the library for two weeks you've got it made because except for the first 7 pages you can read and share next week by reading what Amazon is giving as a freebee.

Well Bellamarie it appears you grew up in a houseful of youngsters - I'm thinking with basements to play in and long cold winters, playacting would be a fun activity. Were the plays made up or were they similar to a story that you heard.

I guess it is playacting but my sister and I spent hours making out of mud what looked like loaves of bread and rolls and then we would find various wild plants that we stripped, I guess the seeds that looked like oats and coffee and we would search and find the newest shoot of grass all in miniature and pretend they were foods for sale and set them up as if on shelves or store bins full of this and that making the store out of entwined twigs. Took us at least an entire summer to figure out a roof since if the roof was on we could not see the inside of the store and yet we wanted a roof - a few of the oak leaves fell and we used them but we were never satisfied with the result - we did not know how to build a gable so we could have a slanted roof

Its easy to get started isn't it Bellamarie, with one remembered play time after the other - I can see how writing about childhood would be an emotional roller coaster - I'm remembering when Robin Roberts, from the ABC Morning show, had her illness and she was being interviewed after her recovery saying how her mother taught her that everyone has something and so she sees that there is always something for everyone she meets. I do not know if that thought helps us or not but it sure allows us look at each other as humans with vulnerabilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version