New to this site? > Remembrances

In Memory of Maryal (Deems)

(1/7) > >>

BooksAdmin:
In Loving Memory
Mary Alice Deems Howland ~ Associate Professor,  US Naval Academy
Maryal  (Deems) ~ SeniorLearn/SeniorNet Discussion Leader and FriendView photos of Maryal

As we extend condolences to  Maryal's family and many friends saddened by the sudden loss of  this bright light, we must also remember this:  Maryal was a  joyful person, with that famous dry, always playful sense of humor. Above all, she would want us to remember the good times, the happy times we shared over the years on SeniorLearn and SeniorNet. .

Let us gather together here to share our loss in this space, yes, but also to smile through our tears at fond memories of this extraordinary person and dear friend who spent the last ten years making us smile.

JoanP:
This has come as such a shock to everyone.  We need to console one another to get through this - especially Susan, Maryal's daughter and best friend.  We love you, Susan, and look forward to staying in touch with you in the future.  

Maryal, (also known here as "Deems")  led a discussion of Dicken's Mystery of Edwin Drood as recently as September.  You might remember that she thought she had a touch of the flu that was making its way through the Naval Academy.

Do you remember back in 1999-2000,  when she led her first discussion?  Maryal  volunteered for the role of innkeeper in our discussion of  Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, winning our hearts as she playfully  passed the grog to all who entered the discussion.  We didn't know at the time that she was an Associate Professor of Literature at the USNA.

Maryal went on to lead our Great Books Discussions for the next 9-10 years with her own special brand of leadership - humor.  My old partner, you will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.

jane:
Susan...

I have no words to tell you how sad I am to hear of your Mother's passing. She was such an enthusiastic, kind, gentle person.  She will be sorely missed by those of us who knew her through her witty, succinct, articulate posts.

jane

ALF43:
That is my funniest story of Maryal.  I expressed interest in reading along when Chaucer's Canterbury Tales was suggested.  I was relatively new to the site and Maryal somehow sensed my reluctance of making a damned fool of myself discussing a classic.  She wrote me personally and invited me, promising to protect me.  Ha!  ::)
 She told me she taught English in Maryland so I felt "hey, what the heck I come from a long line of teachers, I can hold my own."
  It wasn't until the end of the discussion, sharing grog and a "private" email nightly that someone told me she wasn't JUST a teacher, she was an English Lit. Professor teaching the plebes at our Naval academy.  I wrote her right away and scolded her.  Her humble answer--"Aw -whatever, it always seemed to intimidate people.  I'm just Mary."  

We discussed ex-husbands, our children, shared scriptures and spoke of her father's being a pastor as my son is.
We began many years of correspondance, sharing and caring.  She set me in my place when I needed it and she urged and cajoled me when I needed that, as well.  She was a good friend whom I loved dearly and will miss terribly.

I love you dear Susan and you are in my thoughts daily.
Maryal asked me to "worry" about you, and I do, we all do.

BEYOND THE DARKNESS, LIGHT...
BEYOND THE SORROW, PEACE.

JoanK:
Maryal was such a spark in leading the great books, in our personal conversations. When I joined, she and JoanP were leading the great Books discussion. When they invited me to join them, I felt so honored. I will always remember the discussions we shared together. And especially a dinner where we made terrible jokes about dead poets (who else can you joke about TS Eliot with?) Her laugh lit up the place.

And again, before I moved to California, when she and JoanP gave a goodbye lunch for me. We may have drunk too much Sangria, but we had a glorious time. I still have the picture of her laughing with my sister and me.

She has left a hole in us that will not soon be filled. I didn't meet Susan, but I hope she will be a little consoled remembering how much her mother gave to so many people

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version