General Book Discussions & More > Mystery Corner

Mystery Corner ~ 2

(1/1718) > >>

BooksAdmin:

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!
Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK    

Frybabe:
I am in the middle of the first Thursday Next series called The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. It took me a few pages to warm up to it as it was more "fancyfull" than expected. You miss some of the fun if you aren't a little familiar with the books and characters involved in the story. I had to look up Martin Chuzzlewit to see if it really exists. It does. And so do a lot of other Charles Dickens writings about which I never knew. While the story line involves mystery and detective work, it could also be listed as fantasy. I believe the book cover intro uses the word surreal to describe the setting.

Babi:
  Just checking into the new site.

Yeah, Martin Chuzzlewit isn't well known.  It is one of the books where the
lead character is not all that engaging, and if I remember correctly it was not
at all an encouraging book.  Dickens did emphasize the poverty and misery of his times and not all of his books had a lighter side or a happy outcome.

mrssherlock:
Jasper Fforde failed to capture my imagination, though I tried two times.  Sometimes my sense of whimsy is strained beyond repair when Life has once again dealt me a hand that is hard to play.  But sometimes it just doesn't grab me (the plot, that is).  It has been noted before that I have a weird sense of humor.

mabel1015j:
marking

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version