Author Topic: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - April 1  (Read 85112 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - April 1
« Reply #320 on: April 26, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand  by Helen Simonson

April Book Club Online  

"When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs. Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village and of the Major’s carefully regimented life.

"As the Major and Mrs. Ali discover just how much they have in common, including an educated background and a shared love of books, they must struggle to understand what it means to belong and how far the obligations of family and tradition can be set aside for personal freedom. Meanwhile, the village itself, lost in its petty prejudices and traditions, may not see its own destruction coming."  New York Times   (best seller)

"...a wry and witty love story set in a little English village where small town prejudices, and race and religious intolerances are alive and well. With gentle insight, the author captures the thrill of falling in love after 60 and the disruption romance can introduce into a well-settled life."

Discussion Schedule:

April 1-7 ~ Chapters 1-6]
April 8 - 15 ~ Chapters 7-12
April 16 - 24 ~ Chapters 13-17
April 25 - April 30 ~ Chapters 18-25
May 1-May 3 ~  Epilogue, Final Impressions, Visit with the Author

For Consideration
April 25-April 30 ~ Chapters 18-25

1.  Has there been much change in the village in the aftermath of the ball brawl?  Do you think the changes in the Ali's shop will affect the business?  

2. Why does  Abdul Wahid cold shoulder the Major? Does he hold him responsible for what happened? Does Abdul Wahid's appreciation for the Major's hospitality seem contrived to you?

3.  Can you believe the Vicar's words of consolation to the Major on the loss of his lady friend?  Do you think 'theological incompatibility' reflects current Church attitudes? Do you think the Major is experiencing a crisis in faith or, is he simply at odds with Christopher's brand of Christianity?  

4. Would the Major and Grace make a good team for life? Does Grace really share the Major's outrage and disappointment over Jasmina's departure?

5. Were you surprised at Grace's refusal to the Major's offer?  Does she bring to mind one of Barbara Pym's ladies?
"Without passion people living together may be lonelier than if they lived alone."  Do you agree with the viewpoint that passion is a  necessary ingredient for marriage at their age?

6. Though distraught, is there any indication that Roger has changed? What did you think of the Major's attempt to explain love to his son?  Did he understand what his father was trying to tell him?

7.  Is it obvious why the Ali family wants to keep Jasmina with them?  What greater good did Mrs. Ali try to accomplish by giving up the shop?

8. Sandy: “A cottage in the country is a dangerous dream.”  Mrs. Ali: " I allowed myself to daydream." Do both women share the same dreams wrapped in a cottage? Is the Major's admiration for Sandy decision to leave and get on with life similar to his request of Mrs. Ali to show her courage to leave?

9. "Let's just drive right off the map.” Does the story take on a fairy tale aspect at this point? Is it madness, or can it possibly work?  
10.  How does the stress of living with one foot in modernity and one foot in the traditions of an ancient culture affect Abdul Wahid?  Why could Amina, from the same traditions,  choose to live out her passion for dance rather than marry to cover shame, whereas Abdul Wahid turned to the tradition of haram to escape from his shame?

Discussion Leaders:  Barbara & JoanP

Steph

« Reply #321 on: April 27, 2011, 06:17:19 AM »
I guess I felt that Mrs. Ali did not give the Major time to react. She knew him by now.. She realized that he is slow to realize change.. I felt sorry for both of them. Ah.. later, I love the escape scene.. At last they are both realizing that their fate is each other. Thank heaven..
Sandy,,oh Sandy, she is quite american in her outlook and I felt sorry for her. She did so hope for love and instead got a man who just could not cope with love and reality.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

salan

« Reply #322 on: April 27, 2011, 08:01:11 AM »
I love the idea of "driving off the map".  The first year of my husband's retirement, we decided to take a road trip.  No time frame and no particular destination.  We decided to head west and just go where the road took us.  We were gone almost a month and it was one of the best vacations we ever took.  We just took our time--spending several days in one place and zipping through others.  Fun!!

Sally

CallieOK

« Reply #323 on: April 27, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
I think Mrs. Ali and Grace both knew the Major very well.   If Grace (or someone) hadn't made the suggestion, I doubt that he would ever have gone after Mrs. Ali.  In his own way, he is also a "go along to get along" sort of person and I suspect Nancy was the "pusher" during his first marriage.

I also suspect Mrs. Ali will play the same role in their marriage.   

That's the only flaw that mars the Happy Ending for me.   I know from experience that it can be exhausting and tiresome to live with someone who is always pessimistic about doing something new and having an "adventure"...

...like yours, Sally.   What fun! 

Laura

« Reply #324 on: April 27, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
The last section of the book was my favorite.  Everything comes together.  I couldn’t imagine what was going to happen after Mrs. Ali left the village.  Plenty!

One thing I noticed in this last section was how Roger’s and the Major’s lives began to run in parallel. 

“Don’t you think it’s unconscionably soon to be pursuing another woman?” asked the Major.  “Sandy only just left.”
“She made her choice,” said Roger.  The Major recognized, with a rueful smile, that his son’s words sounded familiar.
(pg 294)
Neither man seemed ready to fight for his woman.

“It really won’t do, Roger,” said the Major.  “If you don’t feel any real spark of passion for Gertrude, don’t shackle yourselves together.  You’ll only be dooming both of you to a life of loneliness.”  He smiled wryly to hear himself repeating Grace’s words as his own.  (pg. 297)
Both men have opportunities with local, “right choice,” same-background kind of women.  It didn’t work out for either man, with Grace or Gertrude.

I wonder if the Major saw himself in his son, and then was able to more objectively look at his own situation.  I think so. 

I also wonder if the author intended/planned to have the lives of father and son parallel like this or if it “just happened.”  I know authors often talk about characters taking on lives of their own, doing unexpected things, etc.  I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise.  I wonder which is was.

Laura

« Reply #325 on: April 27, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »
Sally said, “I was disappointed in the Major for not going after Mrs. Ali.  However, I don't think it was entirely because of the guns.  I felt that he, at that moment, was divided between two worlds.  He chose the one that was traditional and more comfortable for him.  He was disappointed in himself for not pursuing Mrs. Ali and even states that he wished he could be a different man.”

On page 341, the Major reflects on his feelings that night, talking with Abdul Wahid, while Abdul Wahid contemplates ending his own life:
“I was more proud of these guns than I was of your aunt Jasmina.  For the sake of these guns, I let down the woman I love in front of a whole community of people, most of whom I can barely tolerate.  I let her leave, and I will never get rid of the sense of shame.”
“I let her leave so that I could acquire all her worldly possessions,” said Abdul Wahid quietly.

Wow!  Poor Jasmina!  Let down by two men in her life for selfish reasons.

CallieOK

« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:39 PM »
Laura,  I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise.  I wonder which is was.
Great question for Helen Simonson.  I hope she'll comment.

I missed the comment by Abdul Wahid about his aunt.   Poor Jasmina, indeed.
She's always so willing to make things better for people she loves - even when doing so diminishes the quality of her own life.  Does she see it that way? 

Does Sandy represent the opposite - determined to have equal say-so or nothing at all? 

Does Grace represent the "middle" - wanting to have a life that suits her but bound by tradition to think/act otherwise?

Are any of these characters stereotypes of the way women "ought to be"?   Is it a generational thing?  A "non-urban" thing?

salan

« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Thanks for that info, Laura.  I had forgotten that conversation.  The book I had was a library copy that had to be returned, so I did not get a chance to double check my info. 
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »
Steph, you hit a hot button with the escape scene - several of us enjoyed that image of headlong freedom that comes with taking life by the hand and just going with it.  And thanks for clearing up the views you shared on the Major and Mrs. Ali - he is trying but as you say it takes him awhile. I know that feeling - trying to move with the new while your shirt tail is still tied to the past.

Sally you and your husband did take life by the hand and just go - what a wonderful memory.

Callie yes, you are right - I forgot about that - it was Grace who urged the Major to take his feelings more seriously - he was smitten and did not know what it was he was feeling or, if he did, he did not act on his feelings.

Laura - great observations and I am so glad as well you found and printed out the dialogue between the Major and Abdul about disappointing Mrs. Ali - I remembered the Major's thoughts but completely forgot that Abdul owned up to his taking Mrs. Ali's generosity so lightly. All her worldly possessions - wow - that is selfless - which means giving up all independence regardless of ethnicity.

After finally seeing the movie "Water" last night about widows in India and although, Pakistani there are similarities in the culture which suggests the role of Mrs. Ali in her family's house had to be robbing her of any dignity. That is a huge gift - not just her worldly goods but her independence and dignity. Wow...and as  you ask - Did she see it that way...Did she realize the full ramifications when she made such a gift...She certainly had a passion to make the lives of those she loved better using what ever means at her disposal.

Callie yes, it looks like another good question for Helen Simonson when she comes back for her visit.

Sally were you on the library waiting list for this book? I wonder if it is being read as much as I think it should be - I am so impressed - I am glad I have a copy - I may never read it again since I have only re-read a couple of books in my life but having it on my shelf is a reminder of what I learned while reading a book and slips of paper between the pages direct me to important bits when I need a refresher.

What did y'all think about the exchange with the Vicar first as the Vicar explains Daisy's, his wife's behavior and then his opinion about the mixed religious background of couples he marries topping it off with his opinion of the Pakistani family in his village... Did he miss a beat representing the extreme conservative views - does his view really represent the attitude of the Christian Church today?

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
To me - probably the most telling thing in the Vicar's conversation with the Major is  the Vicar saying, "People don't speak of it directly, but you know these things are difficult in a small community like ours."

The same could be said of a neighborhood - or a club - or a church - or a sorority - or any other tightly knit group into which someone "different" appears or is introduced.   The saddest thing is that the "different" person usually figures out what's going on - and is helpless to combat it because any attempt will be vigorously denied and the "different" person will be made to look like the one who's being tacky.   (Can you tell this is a BIG pet peeve of mine??)

Loved the Major's closing comment about falling asleep during the Vicar's sermons.  "I thought your honesty deserved reciprocation."   ZING!!!!!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #330 on: April 27, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
That was a zinger from the Major to the Vicar, Callie.  But I remember being surprised when I read of their conversation - the Major intends to continue to come to this Church and listen to the sermons, knowing this is how his spritual advisor feels about someone very near and dear to him.  No place in heaven for the couple, not adjacent resting places in the cemetery!

What of the Major and his Jasmina?  Can they return to the village?  Will the Major bring her to his club...or to his church?  Is there room for her in his life?   Or is their time in the cabin in the woods all there can ever be for them?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »
Am scooping up the questions you've been posting for the author and will bring them back here for you  to look over - to be sure I didn't miss any.  Of course you can still ask more questions.  Helen S. is still out of the country and we haven't set up a date and time for her return visit yet.  We'll keep the discussion open into the first week of May...or as long as it takes.   On May 5 she is scheduled for a reading and book signing right here in Arlington - I intend to speak to her then and get my book signed. I'm there!

Willl be right back...

CallieOK

« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »
Joan, I would have liked one more page in the book reading   "And they lived happily ever after."   :)

Major tornado in Birmingham AL this evening.  I hope our Joan Grimes is alright.

bellamarie

« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »
Oh dear I am so disappointed I have not been more active in this discussion.  It seems time has been passing me by so quickly, I am trying desperately to finish the book on time.  I am up to the point where the Major plans to stop in and visit Mrs. Ali when he goes to Scotland.  I feel so sad reading how everything seems to have gone downhill since the annual dance.  What a hullabaloo that was.

Grace truly has grace letting the Major go and insisting he find Mrs. Ali.  I just wanted to cry as he left her house.  I never saw the Major and Grace as a couple early on.  I felt he and Mrs. Ali were perfect for each other.  So will the two of them end up happily ever after?

Wow I was shocked at Sandy being more committed than Roger.  The two of them seem to be typical of this generation.  I fear materialistic possessions and career success seems to be the brass ring this generation is chasing more so than family and commitment.  I also feel sad about the direction the future of Edgecombe St. Mary is going in.  I have so loved the warmth and small underdeveloped town and imagining the modernization about to come seems a bit sad.  H.S. seems to be up with the times in bringing these changes to this quaint little town.  I visit my small rural hometown after being away for many years and I barely recognize it.  So much of the small town feeling is gone and all the shops and restaurants have taken up every inch of rural space that was available. 

Okay, my apologies for not being present more and I hope to finish the book and join in to discuss the final chapters.

Ciao for now~ 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »
Bella, I envy you the experience of reading the final chapters of the book for  the first time.  THe last thing we want to do is spoil that for you by giving things away.  So please, curl up with your book and come back only when you have read the last chapter.  We look forward to your reaction when you return.

I've tried to gather the questions that you have suggested we ask the author.  If you want to add something to this list, please post here - OR if there is something you see on the list that you meant for discussion here and not for the author, please state that here.

Here they are - so far:

1.  Did you intentionally portray some of the characters as annoying - unlikable - unbelievable, even?  Ferguson and Roger for example?

2.    I  wonder if the Major saw himself in his son, and then was able to more objectively look at his own situation.   I  wonder if the author intended/planned to have the lives of father and son parallel or if it “just happened.”  I know authors often talk about characters taking on lives of their own, doing unexpected things, etc.  I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise.  I wonder which is was.

3.  Jasmina,  so willing to make things better for people she loves - even when doing so diminishes the quality of her own life.  Does she see it that way?  
Does Sandy represent the opposite - determined to have equal say-so or nothing at all?  
Does Grace represent the "middle" - wanting to have a life that suits her but bound by tradition to think/act otherwise?
Are any of these characters stereotypes of the way women "ought to be"?  

4.  How common it is in England for quaint little villages to morph into theme park developments.  Were you. exaggerating a bit, or has it already?

5. How long must we wait for your next book? I am a "forever fan" of yours.

6. Is there a film in the works?  A sequel, perhaps?  a TV mini-series?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
I'm interested in the subject of the parallels in the book.  Can we focus on the parallels in the portrayal of these three women - Amina, Grace and Jasmina?  How are they alike, and how do they express their individuality in different ways?

Steph

« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2011, 06:17:07 AM »
Amina is interesting.. The side story was quite different and ended entirely differently than I expected. She made a good choice, although I am not sure it is a good one for her son.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2011, 09:13:05 AM »
Interesting point Joan - looks like all the women - as Steph points out Amina and then, Nancy, Grace, Mrs. Ali, have a strong sense of who they are and make choices accepting the path those choices require. The two that are less flushed out Jemima and Gertrude, both are married but with strong personalities as they go after life on their terms.

Jemima, of all the female characters sounds the most controlling when she seemed to represent her mother although, it sounded more like representing her own interests in the proceeds from the sale of the Churchills - Her mother is another female character who is not flushed out. Daisy attempts to control using tradition, gossip and insensitive leadership. Even the next door neighbor is a sign waving, outspoken citizen of the village. Grace can be a bit of a quiet go-along but when her life is in question she knows what she wants and she stands up for what she wants. Goodness, thinking about it, even Mrs. Khan is no wall flower.

Joan was there something you saw in the three women that we need to consider? Does anyone else see a parallel to Jemima, Amina and Grace?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
Interesting on the Church attitude about inter-faith marriage - I cannot find anything official since the early 1950s - in contemporary circle that is ancient history - and yet, we know that churches move very slowly - but thinking 1951 - and then realizing all the social change since 1951 - '51 is before Elvis much less the Beatles - before the Civil Rights movement much less the Women's movement - 1951 is even before the Vietnam War - Before Kennedy and before there was any talk of outer-space and yet,  unless any of you can find something newer - I hope, I hope, I hope - the stand on record for most Christian Religions is to not approve Mixed or Inter-Faith marriages.

The Catholic Church has the most spelled out attitude based on church law written in 1066 in the Code of Canon Law -

All major religious denominations and/or organizations have gone on record opposing them. As early as 1932 the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America, now better known as the National Council of Churches, declared that "persons con­templating a mixed marriage should be advised not to enter it." Dr. Leland Foster Wood, formerly secretary of the Council's Commission on Marriage and the Home, stated at that time: "In warning young people against the pitfalls of mixed marriage we are taking a position rather similar to the Roman Catholic Faith."
In May, 1950, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of the United States announced that it had joined the Protestant Episcopal Church in going on public record as opposed to mixed marriage with its inevitable dangers. Individual denominations have also gone on record opposing interfaith marriages. Typical of many such warnings is that sounded by the Southern Baptist Convention in San Francisco in June, 1951: "We, with our Roman Catholic friends, give public warning of the dangers to harmonious home life in mixed marriage."

Not too long ago Jame A. Pike, Bishop of the Protestant Epis­copal Diocese of California, presented his argument against mar­riages of mixed religion in his book If You Marry Outside Your Faith

Please someone find something that lifts this veil that justifies Christopher's attitude speaking with the Major at Christmas time in church.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #339 on: April 28, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »
Would you say that Helen S. has portrayed strong women - stronger than her male characters?   I was moved by the decisions made by Mrs. Ali, Amina and Grace. Grace, especially.   All three of them loved their men, but that love wasn't the thing that determined their decisions.  Steph, what do you think Amina was thinking?  You mention that she wasn't considering what was best for her son.  
Do you see a parallel in the sacrifice each of these three women made?

Grace strongly reminds me of one of Barbara Pym's characters.  Are you familiar with her work?  I'm wondering if Helen Simonson is a Pymite.  Is that how fans of Barbara Pym are described, Rosemary?  Barbara Pym's males are rather weak and indecisive too.
I'm not sure if the Major should be described as a weak character - but he is "old school"...like the Vicar.  He needs a strong woman to get him to act out of the box.  

Barbara, I can't decide whether the  Vicar is "old school," behind the times  - or if he is mouthing the current teaching of his Church when he tries to soothe the Major. 

Laura

« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »
Barbara asked, “What did y'all think about the exchange with the Vicar first as the Vicar explains Daisy's, his wife's behavior and then his opinion about the mixed religious background of couples he marries topping it off with his opinion of the Pakistani family in his village... Did he miss a beat representing the extreme conservative views - does his view really represent the attitude of the Christian Church today?”

The whole discussion between the Major and the Vicar on pages 270-273 made me mad!  I don’t think his views represent the Christian Church, but his views do represent some people’s views.  It was eye opening for the Major to hear what the Vicar had to say and from it deduce how people felt about his relationship with Mrs. Ali.  That way he knew what he was up against and was ready to make his “last stand.”  At least that is what I think the meaning of the title is --- taking a stand for himself and Jasmina, with the military pun intended because of his military background.

Joan asked:  “What of the Major and his Jasmina?  Can they return to the village?  Will the Major bring her to his club...or to his church?  Is there room for her in his life?   Or is their time in the cabin in the woods all there can ever be for them?”

I haven’t worked out details in my mind as to exactly where and how the Major and Jasmina will make their relationship work, but I know they will.

bellamarie

« Reply #341 on: April 28, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »
Joan P. "On May 5 she is scheduled for a reading and book signing right here in Arlington - I intend to speak to her then and get my book signed. I'm there!"

Oh how exciting it will be for you to meet our author in person!! 

I have completed the book and must say am very pleased with the final chapters.  I generally am irritated with the happily ever after ending so expected in most love stories, but I must say H.S. did a splendid job in drawing us into the final chapters rooting for the Major and Mrs. Ali.  I saw the Major as a very endearing, loving, caring man, husband, friend and father.  Yes, he points out some of his flaws in raising Roger, but in the end it influenced Roger to at least have hope that love can prevail, even though our Roger seemed to still have an angle in contacting Sandy.

I am happy Abdul Wahid and Anmina did not end up married.  I was so hoping she would not marry for the sake of the child at this stage.  She could tell she and Abdul Wahid were not compatible even though she did love him.  I agree they would have grown to resent each other and not be happy.  It shows that in today's world couples are less inclined to marry for the sake of a child and family shame.

Poor Wahid, he struggled with his faith and his life and actually thought he could set the entire scene to die and believe it was in his God's hands.  I loved the relationship he and the Major had. Roger could see it was a relationship he so wanted with his father and I was glad to see Roger made the effort in the end to let his father know how much he meant to him.

So...now for the guns!  I suspected the pair of guns did not really hold an emotional value to the Major as much as the fact he NEEDED to feel he was more important to his father than his brother by expecting the pair of guns to be given to him just because he was the first born.  How many times have we personally felt or known someone who just had to have that personal item of the deceased parent, yet then they store it in the attic never to really pay any attention to it once they have it?  My Italian Daddy was killed in a train accident when I was just barely two years old.  I was the second youngest in line of seven so I can say I didn't know  him and his possessions that were treasured by my Mom and sisters and one brother sort of seemed like and enigma growing up.  Then when I grew up and had a family of my own, watching my three children with my husband I realized what I had lost out on.  I really yearned to have something that was his and my one sister was kind enough to give to me a picture of him, a newspaper clipping of the accident and a copy of his birth certificate.  I have his picture sitting out so I can always look at it and see myself a little in his eyes.  He was Italian and loved to play his guitar and sing songs to us in Italian as I am told.  Well, needless to say the guitar seemed to be the one item that held the most emotional tie to his memory and my sister kept it for years when it was suppose to be given to the only son, our brother.  My brother learned to play and sing and is pretty good at it and I would like to one day see him with the guitar.  So I guess the guitar is the same as the gun set.  It turns out to be one item the father held near and dear and wanted to share with the son as the mother wanted for the son/sons.

I was so happy when Roger said he did not sell the pair of guns.  It showed for whatever his motives he in the end grew to understand the semblance of family loyalty.

H.S. did a marvelous job in writing a story that dealt with so many different facets of life, father/son, unwed/unwanted pregnancies, interracial relationships, snobbery, friendship, death, moving on into your later years and accepting ageing, unspoken truths, faith, etc., etc.  As a writer myself who hopes to publish a novel one day, she has shown me its never too late to achieve your goals in life.

Ciao for now~

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #342 on: April 28, 2011, 05:45:02 PM »
Laura, Helen S. makes you believe that  everyone lived happily ever after - she ends on an upbeat note, doesn't she?  There's a part of me that worries about how the happy couple can come back to live without discrimination in the village.  There were some hints that the villagers were changing, though.    I'm thinking of Daisy's regrets for her behavior.  Won't it be painful for Grace?  I felt she really cared for the Major...but she knew she wasn't enough for him.

Bella - do you feel the author provided a happy ending for everyone of her characters?  I'm interested to what you think of Roger at the end.  Has he changed - or do we just understand him better?  

As someone who hopes to be published one day, is anything you would like to ask Helen S. when she returns to the discussion?  There is still time to add to the list of questions - or to address her personally when she returns.  We'll advertise the date and the time.   Just be aware that she can only come in for a short period of time and there may not be time to address everything.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #343 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
Do you see the Major changing at this time of his life?  Are those Churchills important to him any longer? 
What do you all see as Major Pettigrew's "LAST STAND"?  Do you agree with Laura -  when he took a stand for himself and Jasmina, with the military pun intended because of his military background?  Or even before that when he struggled on the cliffs to save Abdul Wahid?

bellamarie

« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
Won't it be painful for Grace?   

No, I don't think Grace is the kind of person who would allow herself to live with pain knowing how much the Major and Mrs. Ali loved each other.  I can see Grace being a close friend to the both of them.

do you feel the author provided a happy ending for everyone of her characters?  I'm interested to what you think of Roger at the end.  Has he changed - or do we just understand him better?  

No, I do not feel there was a happy ending for all.  I feel Abdul Wahid will live with the struggle inside himself for the shame he felt he brought to the family.  I'm not sure I did see a drastic change in Roger in the end.  I saw him accept some things in life and open up to a closer relationship with his father.  Personally, I don't see a happily ever after for Roger and Sandy unless she is willing to put up with his shenanigans.  He did express how he "needed" to come home when his life blew up, so possibly he has a new found appreciation for his small town and the people there.  I think the threat of losing his father and job did give him pause to rethink what is of value to him.  But the comment he made about contacting Sandy was still a bit shallow.

Question for H.S.....As an aspiring writer, can you tell me where you found the time to write with being a mother, wife etc.?  Did you have a special space you made just for your writing?  What time of the day or night did you find the best quality time for writing?

Steph

« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2011, 06:10:27 AM »
The guns.. I will say after my husbands death, my sons were thrilled when I gave them all of the watches. My husband loved watches and collected them. I gave them to my sons at Christmas of that year. They went off together and picked in turn.. They spent probably an hour all by themselves and came back with such wistful smiles and have never spoke of who got what.. But it made them happy and that made me happy.
Amina.. I found interesting. She had a hard decision, but she made it and I think she will be fine, but I hope that George gets to keep the Major and Mrs. Ali as his special friends.

bellamarie

« Reply #346 on: April 29, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
I think there are different meanings to "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand," although I am not sure if my thoughts are those of the author's.  As a military person, I feel his last stand was saving Abdul Wahid from committing suicide.  He armed himself with his gun, and was ready to die to save Wahid.  That was true heroism in my eyes, which is what his father showed and was awarded the churchill guns.  Then he made a "last stand" when he stood in front of all his small town, some racist friends to marry Jasmina.  He stood up to the town letting them know he would marry her regardless if they shunned him along with her and kicked him out of their social club and lives.  The other "last stand" I feel the Major took was with his son Roger.  He ultimately came to the point of letting him know just how shallow and self absorbed he was and that he would not tolerate his rudeness, whining, drunken and materialistic minded behavior.  And the final "last stand" I see the Major taking is choosing to live his life out in love and passion.  He had a very comfortable life before he met Mrs. Ali and her family.  Once Jasmina left he could have settled for Grace and lived a semi happy life with her, but instead he made the decision to go for complete happiness regardless of how old he was. 

The scene of him and Jasmina at the cottage in the woods, making love, waking up to the sunshine, she wrapped in the blanket approaching him at the brook, drinking tea and doing their little dance was absolutely my favorite part of the book.  This may not have been intended to be a love story so to speak, but it was a tender love story to me, with all the trials, tribulations and triumphs every great love story entails.

Fitting for a Royal wedding, I enjoyed watching Prince William and Princess Catherine's (Kate) ceremony today.  Every now and then a fairytale is just what we need in life.  I pray for their happiness and safety and await the new heir to be born one day.

Ciao for now~

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #347 on: April 29, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Bellamarie  I love how you connect the story of the Major and Jasmina Ali to today's Royal Wedding - both are filled with such joy - and I love how you list like a litany the Major's last stands -  what a wonderful reminder that many of us are approaching the last of our lives and this is our chance, possibly our last chance to make our stand. I love the 21st century view of making a last stand that the Major epitomizes - he is not all blow and bluster but rather makes his stand often with a zinging quip but you know he is firm in his future behavior.  

And yes, the cottage in the woods - I love how it is Jasmina Ali who invites him to bed and how awake early he walks in the woods, acting like a Red Deer Buck, feeling like the past had rolled off his back and then their shared joy as the sun starts the day.

Steph what a tender memory of  your sons having time together as they decide who will carry what watch in memory of their Dad. And George - I can just see the two of them, the Major and Jasmina Pettigrew casually walking  in the village - or the Major meeting Jasmina after her trip to the library and running into George at play when he visits his father. Later, I can see George and Abdul coming for supper while George is visiting - I see Anmina making it as a dancer in the Theater and I hope she brings George back to his father at least by the time he is 9 or 10 so she can dance and his father can give him a stable village life.  If so than I see George and the Major having their chess games in the Park.

And Bellamaria I agree with you I do not see happy-ever-after for Sandy and Roger - I think they will both be successful on their own but as hard as Roger tries to be the modern man he is still attached to his traditions that I cannot see supporting Sandy after her comment about the dream of a cottage being dangerous.

Laura I wonder why - because I do it as well - that we expect the church leaders of the world to be leading us towards more acceptance and  understanding of each other and  yet, many seem to be models for others to follow of how to stick to words written thousands of years ago that justify acting on values and morality of 50 and 100 years ago. Most of the characters in Helen S's. story do seem to be on the cusp of a new day and in time I see their basic nature of good will and the English love of lawns, flowers, golf, raising a glass and decency rising to the top in spite of themselves.

That was the picture I saw today of so many picnicking on the lawns after the excitement of the Royals acting out their traditional roles. And did  you notice we  hardly saw all the cousins,  uncles and aunts - they blended into the attending crowd not wearing the gold decorated bright uniforms or standing on the Royal Balcony. Seems like this generation is taking the best of the new with the best of tradition which is so emblematic of Helen Simonson's village - because I do think Daisy had her come-uppance.

Steph

« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2011, 06:20:26 AM »
I loved the mental pictures of Jasmina and the Major.. Yes, I did believe all along it was a love story and a different one at that.. A lovely book. It is on my IPAD and I archived it, so I can read it again as I wish.

Laura

« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
Bellamarie said:  “I suspected the pair of guns did not really hold an emotional value to the Major as much as the fact he NEEDED to feel he was more important to his father than his brother by expecting the pair of guns to be given to him just because he was the first born.”

Ah ha!  That never occurred to me!  Of course, that’s why these discussions are so interesting --- because they expose me to new thoughts and ideas!  Great “last stand” examples too!

Joan asked:  “Do you feel the author provided a happy ending for every one of her characters?  I'm interested to what you think of Roger at the end.  Has he changed - or do we just understand him better?”

The ending was definitely not a happy one for every one of the characters.  I do think the characters had a sense of resolution about themselves and their lives though.

I think Roger has matured somewhat.  I don’t think his basic character has changed, but his expectations and how he reacts to things has matured a bit.

bellamarie

« Reply #350 on: April 30, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
BarbStAubrey[/b]..."Seems like this generation is taking the best of the new with the best of tradition which is so emblematic of Helen Simonson's village"

Yes, I agree with you and it proved to be absolutely beautiful!  I could not beleive my eyes watching Prince Wiliam and Princess Kate driving alone in the Asten Martin with a JUST WED sign and balloons and streamers.  NO WAY in the world could Prince Charles and Princess Diana have attempted to get away with something like that.  It would not have even been a glimmer of thought in their minds.  lolol  Yet William & Kate stayed with tradition with the beautiful ceremony in Westminister Abbey.  I have already reserved the Ashton Drake porcelain doll of Princess Kate to put along side all my Princess Diana dolls.  In May my hubby and I celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and this will be my special gift from him along with a replica of the sapphire engagement ring.  We are true romantics at heart, that is why I loved the Major and Jasmina so much!

H.S. Did a marvelous job in blending the old with the new in not only the town, but the people themselves.  I have this book on my nook color and will cherish it and read it again.  Its like a really good movie, you miss some things the first time around and must go back and see/read it again.

Steph

« Reply #351 on: May 01, 2011, 06:28:26 AM »
I know it is not fashionable to say so, but I think Prince Charles did a splendid job of allowing his sons to have so much more freedom than he ever had. Without any announcements, he simply did a good job with them. I also heard several times during the run up to the wedding how much Camilla helped Katherine..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #352 on: May 01, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »
It all comes back to those guns, doesn't it?  Or does it?  Is it the guns - or what they signify?

The Major tells his Roger that he had longed for the day he would have both guns so that he would look important to people he felt were more important than he was.  Wow!  He says this to Roger! Isn't this how Roger has been living his life?  Trying to LOOK important?  More important than he feels he is?  So many of these characters feel this need to appear more than they fear they appear.

Bellamarie said:  “I suspected the pair of guns did not really hold an emotional value to the Major as much as the fact he NEEDED to feel he was more important to his father than his brother by expecting the pair of guns to be given to him just because he was the first born.”

Did you notice - that the gun that smashed over the cliffs was not the Major's - but rather it was Bertie's!  And the Major felt only the faintest disappointment - if anything. 

I smiled at Helen Simonson's metaphor to describe his disappointment -
...like "finding a favorite sweater accidentally boilded along with the white laundry and shrunk to a felt mess sized for a small terrier."I feel compelled to point out - from experience-  that this feeling is devastating to the knitter of the sweater, who spent hours on an intricate Aran knit pattern sweater for a large son, who tossed it into the laundry - and the dryer... a felt mass indeed!  Would you believe I have already knitted him another - and following suggestions from fellow knitters, have framed the little felt sweater and given it to him to hang above his washing machine - though the suggested mittens would probably have been quite warm too.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #353 on: May 01, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
We're down to the last days of this discussion.  Hopefully we will hear from Helen S. tomorrow about when she can return to our discussion before we close.

I think we all agree that this was a good love story -  to write one that is good and "different"  is quite a challenge.  It will be interesting to see what Helen S. comes up with next.  I'll bet it won't be formulaic. Do you think she even has time to write and research with all the book tours and signings?  Bella, will include your question - a good one about finding time to write with children at home.  

At first I worried that she was going to tie up all the love stories with a happily-ever after ending for all...  as if ending a long running soap opera.  She didn't do that, did she?  She finishes with the rather unconventional observation - "it's not enough to be in love."
I'll bet we each have personal experience with this ...
Do you think her purpose was to write a love story?

Have we discussed Major Pettigrew's LAST Stand?  Bella has mentioned several possibilities.  WHen coming up with the title for this book, do you think Helen S. had something specific in mind?  What would YOU say was his LAST stand? Shall we ask the author?

A lovely Sunday to all...

bellamarie

« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2011, 01:43:41 AM »
Steph, I must say when I saw Camilla at the wedding I got aches in my stomach.  Diana belonged there and after reading many books and knowing her pain when she was alive, it is such a sad day that William's mother was not there to share in his happiness.  Imagine being nineteen yrs old, marrying your Prince only to go on your honeymoon and discover he is in the other room on the ship talking to his lover on the phone and seeing he was given as a wedding present from his mistress cufflinks engraved with CC (Charles & Camilla).  Things would have been so much different had Charles been honest and not married Diana knowing he was in love with Camilla, or if he had broken it off and stayed true to his wedding vows... maybe Diana would still be alive today to share in the wedding.  I personally can never accept Camilla as anything more than a mistress and adulterer.  I can never see Charles as King nor Camilla as Queen.  Sorry if I sound bitter, its just so sad for me I have followed this Royal family since Diana and Charles engagement.  I know Diana was there in spirit and knowing how she raised her sons they would be accepting of Camilla if only for the fact she is their father's wife now. 

JoanP...LOLOL  I love your sweater story.  Yes, I did notice how H.S. let the broken, gone forever gun be Bertie's rather than the Major's.  A bit ironic don't you think?  But then again I suspect the Major made the decision to take Bertie's gun because he really didn't care at all about it so if something were to happen to it he still had his treasured one safe and sound at home.  I can just see H.S. sitting at her laptop giggling as he types this.  Or is that the writer in me when I come up with something as perfect as this to end on.  I loved the humor in it.

I think we should ask the author what she intended Major Pettigrew's last stand to be. I anxiously await her responses to all our questions.

Ciao for now~

Steph

« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »
O h Bella and I am the opposite about Camilla and Charles and Diana.. I found Diane not terribly bright. (Her family is prominent enough to know what was what with Charles). She cheated early and often.. did love her sons and did a good job with them. But by the end she was running around europe with trash, since that is all the Dodi was . I think she would be hanging out with Sarah and the two of them running around with all sorts of men. So I like Camilla and Charles looks truly devoted.
The Major.. The guns.. that part is still bewildering to me, but I do hate guns so very much.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #356 on: May 02, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
I think Camilla is a good woman.  The sad thing is that Charles was prevented from marrying her in the first place.  So many bad things have happened because of royal protocol - just look at Princess Margaret.  Camilla was clearly made for Charles.  Diana had a hard time because she too was a victim of the royal system and had not got a clue what she was marrying into, (she also had a very unhappy childhood, which can't have helped) but it's true that she was playing the celebrity game towards the time of her death.  I get the impression that the princes like Camilla - she is one of them, in that she was brought up in a very royal way, and is into all that hunting, shooting and fishing stuff that Diana couldn't stand.  She seems very game for anything, and doesn't try to put herself in the limelight.  They were all 3 adulterers, but that's hardly unusual nowadays.  Let's hope Kate is a bit more savvy - they do seem like a much more modern couple, and the royal "police" do seem to have had to lighten up a bit.

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »
What do you think - is Jasmina into all that hunting, shooting and fishing stuff?  Maybe the Major has lost interest in showing of  at the hunt with his guns gun?  Surely the wind is gone from Lord Dagenham's sail.  He won't be organizing any more of those hunting parties for wealthy investors in wealthy estates.  
  I thought it was quite funny - can't you just picture Helen S. gleefully, wickedly  describing the Rasools' country hotel on his estate, with the Lord holed up in the east wing - "bewildered to find such strange people on his back lawn."
I love to see a writer having a good time, rather than struggling to get things just right.

I'm going to make a guess - that the Major's last stand is this wedding in front of the accepting Pakistanis and his reluctant friends, the bewildered Lord of the estate, the Vicar, "looking lost."  What a perfect ending to a book which begins with the front cover image of the man and woman's coat, nestled together on the coat stand...

What's your guess for his last stand?  You can only choose one instance...
It will be fun to hear the author's answer to this question.  Hopefully we will hear something from her today if she has recovered from her trip abroad.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Well, I think the whole book is about last stands, which in this case is the man himself. He's slowly changed into the man he's meant to be.  Perhaps one could say, "he's found himself."  He's become aware of what's important  -- the woman he loves -- and what's not, the guns and the opinions of others, and he's met other challenges along the way.

The wedding at the end is certainly fitting, and sums it all up.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
We all love a wedding when the husband and wife are obviously in love, no?  

Here are the questions we plan to put to Helen S. when she gets here - please let me know if there are any edits or further questions that you would like to add to the list?

Questions for the Author on her Return