Author Topic: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - April 1  (Read 85124 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - April 1
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand  by Helen Simonson

April Book Club Online  

"When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs. Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village and of the Major’s carefully regimented life.

"As the Major and Mrs. Ali discover just how much they have in common, including an educated background and a shared love of books, they must struggle to understand what it means to belong and how far the obligations of family and tradition can be set aside for personal freedom. Meanwhile, the village itself, lost in its petty prejudices and traditions, may not see its own destruction coming."  New York Times   (best seller)

"...a wry and witty love story set in a little English village where small town prejudices, and race and religious intolerances are alive and well. With gentle insight, the author captures the thrill of falling in love after 60 and the disruption romance can introduce into a well-settled life."

Discussion Schedule:

April 1-7 ~ Chapters 1-6]
April 8 - 15 ~ Chapters 7-12
April 16 - 24 ~ Chapters 13-17
April 25 - April 30 ~ Chapters 18-25
May 1-May 3 ~  Epilogue, Final Impressions, Visit with the Author

Questions from our Readers for Helen

1. Did you intentionally portray some of the characters as annoying - unlikable - unbelievable, even? Ferguson and Roger for example?

2. How common it is for quaint little villages in England to be developed into theme-park makeovers? Were you exaggerating a bit, or has it actually been happening?

3. I wonder if the Major saw himself in his son, and then was able to more objectively look at his own situation. I wonder if the author intended/planned to have the lives of father and son parallel or if it “just happened.” I know authors often talk about characters taking on lives of their own, doing unexpected things, etc. I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise. I wonder which is was.

4. Jasmina is so willing to make things better for people she loves - even when doing so diminishes the quality of her own life. Does she see it that way? Does Sandy represent the opposite - determined to have equal say-so or nothing at all? Does Grace represent the "middle" - wanting to have a life that suits her but bound by tradition to think/act otherwise? Are any of these characters stereotypes of the way women "ought to be"?

5. Your strong female characters, and men without consequence, bring to mind Barbara Pym's characters, who feel that love alone is not always enough reason for marriage. Have you read her novels? Do you feel they have influenced you?
Follow up - do you see the Major as a "strong" character?

6. The Vicar's reasoning against this mixed marriage upset quite a few. Can you tell us if he was mouthing Church teaching or expressing his own opinions based on what others might think?

7. When you decided on the title of your first novel, what did you have in mind as Major Pettigrew's LAST STAND? Do you agree that when he took a stand for himself and Jasmina, with the military pun intended,  because of his military background?

8. As an aspiring writer, can you tell me where you found the time to write with being a mother, wife etc.? Did you have a special space you made just for your writing? What time of the day or night did you find the best quality time for writing?

9. How long must we wait for your next book? I am a "forever fan" of yours.

10. Is there a film in the works? A sequel, perhaps? a TV mini-series?  

Discussion Leaders:  Barbara & JoanP

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »

Breaking news!   Helen Simonson will return to the Major Pettigrew discussion tomorrow morning - 11 am EDT to respond to our questions.  Hope you can make it!

bellamarie

« Reply #362 on: May 03, 2011, 12:28:32 AM »
Steph~ Diana was not so terribly bright as you suggested.  She was a 19 yr old virgin going into a marriage with all the hopes of love & loyalty.  She was not unfaithful for some time because she was naive to believe she could get Charles to love her and give up his affair with Camilla.  I have read almost every book I could get my hands on and also listened to many interviews she gave.  As she got older she had to manipulate the press because it was the only way she could get her side told.  She was nothing like Sarah and I admire how she stayed in that marriage under the worst of treatment from the Queen and the unfaithfulness of Charles.  She in my opinion deserved to try to find happiness with someone else when she finally realized she would never have Charles's love.  She did indeed date after their break up and the media violated her privacy to the ends of the earth, which was the result of her death. 

rosemarykaye~With all due respect knowing you are the true Brit here, I must say indeed Charles was not permitted to marry Camilla because she was still a married woman.  She could not have given him the heirs the Queen demanded even had they were allowed to wed.  Yes, in the end Diana manipulated the celebrity/media that was forced upon her.  I felt very sad for her because of knowing her childhood was so sad and then she thinks she is going to marry this Prince and live happily ever after only to find the wicked Queen mother and the disloyal husband.  Her family knew royalty but they weren't there for her as a child so why would you assume they would be there to protect her from this family?  Her two sons were her life saving grace.  I agree that Charles and Camilla were suited for each other and its so sad Diana had to pay the high price for their infidelity and dishonesty.  How does two people find happiness after knowing the hurt they brought to another?  They both look quite stuffy and boring to me.  LOLOL

JoanP~No, I don't see Jasmina into all that shooting, fishing etc. kind of stuff, but then again she and the Major are experiencing all sorts of never before things so maybe she could give it a try, after an afternoon reading of Kipling.  LOLOL

I await to hear from our author.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Steph

« Reply #363 on: May 03, 2011, 06:10:10 AM »
I  agree with Pedlin.This is his last stand.. His ability to change, to find love in a decidedly different place.. To learn how to get along with his son..All the book is bout his last stand.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #364 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »
Please post when you come in if you are able to join us here at 11am EDT.  (If you can't make it at the appointed hour, you will be able to read Helen's responses later -)

These are some of the questions that arose from our discussion of her book that we hope the author will address -
  Questions submitted by you - the Readers

Feel free to ask follow-up questions - new ones too.

Steph, it will be interesting to hear from the author what she intended by the Major's LAST Stand.  Laura has questionned whether there was a military connection...

It won't be long now -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #365 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
I'm here - need to read  more of my email and then be right back.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Simonson

« Reply #366 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
Hello from Helen Simonson - glad to be back but reeling from a set of questions that sounds like a PhD thesis on Major Pettigrew.  Not sure I'm bright enough to keep up!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #367 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
Good morning, Helen! ;D

Sorry, but these readers enjoyed dissecting your book.  Shall we start with the title?

When you decided on the title of your first novel, what did you have in mind as Major Pettigrew's LAST STAND? Do you agree that when he took a stand for himself and Jasmina, with the military pun intended because of his military background?

Simonson

« Reply #368 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03:02 AM »
Last Stand - it was an ironic play on the idea of the military hero (eg. Custer's Last Stand) and I always thought the Major would fail to make himself a hero when it counted.  it was a pleasant surprise when he physically took a stand, on the cliffs, and when he overcame his natural reserve to make an unexpected leap for the brass ring of true love.  Of course, the cover came later and is of a 'hat stand' so the book, in my mind, is now "Major Pettigrew's Last Hat Stand."

Simonson

« Reply #369 on: May 03, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
I also don't believe that life is made up of a few shining moments - first love, last chance - so I used the title as a counterpoint to a man whose true nobility lies in his ability to get up each day and try to make good on the personal failings of yesterday.  Life is about slow perserverence not flashy stands.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #370 on: May 03, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
"a man whose true nobility lies in his ability to get up each day and try to make good on the personal failings of yesterday."

Do  you see the Major as a "strong" character?

We loved your women - Grace, Jasmina and Amina, especially -

Your strong female characters, and men without consequence, bring to mind Barbara Pym's characters, who feel that love alone is not always enough reason for marriage. Have you read her novels? Do you feel they have influenced you?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #371 on: May 03, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
Helen who found the cover photo?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Simonson

« Reply #372 on: May 03, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
I'm so glad you had discussion about Grace and what she represents.  She sort of bumbled along representing herself.  I sat for a long time over the scene of the Major's half-hearted marriage proposal.  I thought it was his shabbiest moment and I really didn't know if Grace would say 'yes'.  This would have caused me all sorts of problems but I was prepared to work around her answer.  Her final answer was, I think, a good one.  However, I do think it was an inspirational and aspirational answer in a grim world of too few decent men!!  I got grief from many of my own friends over it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #373 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »
His shabbiness allowed us to see Grace in her awe inspiring best...thanks for that. 

Simonson

« Reply #374 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
I haven't read Barbara Pym - though I am oft recommended her books.  I think she is probably too good at saying just what I would want to say and so I think I'll continue to steer clear.  I wrote the Major as a 'weak' man.  People love him so much they ascribe him an overt nobility I don't really see.  His nobility lives in his self awareness - something many people lack. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #375 on: May 03, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
I think you would love Pym's books - you won't get any grief from us about Grace's response.

Another question from one of our readers about your women...

Jasmina is so willing to make things better for people she loves - even when doing so diminishes the quality of her own life. Does she see it that way? Does Sandy represent the opposite - determined to have equal say-so or nothing at all? Does Grace represent the "middle" - wanting to have a life that suits her but bound by tradition to think/act otherwise? Are any of these characters stereotypes of the way women "ought to be"?

Simonson

« Reply #376 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
I'm glad you saw through my male hero to see my interest in strong women.  However, the only way to write is to write individuals.  The women just happened to come out strong in most cases.  One of my favorites was Mrs. Rasool, running a business empire and trying to pretend she did not!  The cover was found by the random House art department and they deserve huge credit for making my cover an icon - other authors ask for a "Pettigrew" cover, I'm told.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #377 on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »

So, no, you are not writing about stereotypes, but rather individuals?

Let's talk about your men -

Did you intentionally portray them as annoying - unlikable - unbelievable, even? Ferguson and Roger for example?  And let's not forget the Vicar...

Simonson

« Reply #378 on: May 03, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Most writers will be very unhappy if you ask whether their characters are stereotypes!  Mrs. Ali's determination to support her nephew came from a deep maternal love.  She did not have children of her own and I believe this caused her pain and that she regarded Abdul Wahid as a son.  It was probably then painful when his parents got to decide everything and took him away for some years.  I rtied to access my own feelings for my sons whenever Mrs. Ali thought of Abdul Wahid.  She is as strong as Sandy - she is just older, wiser and understands that compromise will happen - and that all the fervor in the world can not always make things happen the way you want. She represents the realism of age that young people find infuriating!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #379 on: May 03, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
Oh wow - what a great thought "She represents the realism of age that young people find infuriating! " Yes!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #380 on: May 03, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »
So, no, you are not writing about stereotypes, but  individuals.  That says a lot.  Please don't feel badly that the question was asked.

Let's talk about your men -

Did you intentionally portray them as annoying - unlikable - unbelievable, even? Ferguson and Roger for example?  And let's not forget the Vicar...

Simonson

« Reply #381 on: May 03, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
I love Ferguson!  In a world that contains Donald Trump, I believe Ferguson is a sensitive man, an artist of the brick and I was very happy to see him marry Gertrude and get the entree into British society that he so badly wanted.  Meanwhile, Roger is my non-fiction character made up of stupid things I have said to my parents and habits I have observed in myself and my various hard-working ambitious friends.  it is funny that the mere mention of fancy cars, penthouses and interior decorating make a character unlikable!  Roger says nothing that you and I have not said or thought at some time!  He is the brashest part of us all.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #382 on: May 03, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »
As a girl from New Jersey, I felt I recognized Ferguson too.  But I didn't love him!  Sensitive?  I guess you knew him better. ;)

How about the Vicar? His reasoning against this mixed marriage upset quite a few. Can you tell us if he was mouthing Church teaching or expressing his own opinions based on what others might think?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #383 on: May 03, 2011, 11:24:55 AM »
It is Roger's sense of entitlement that got to me...

Simonson

« Reply #384 on: May 03, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
One thing I've noticed in producing this book is that when you write one individual, or one incident, it does tend to expand and be seen to represent the universal or the 'stereotype'.  I'm not offended by the question - it is a decided hazard though, for a writer.  I have had angry emails from individual Flower Guild Ladies, Private Equity employees and Americans - all accusing me of stereotyping an entire class of people.  It is very hard to avoid as it is natural to look for patterns and representations in literature. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #385 on: May 03, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »
That's understandable.  It was primarily the male characters who seemed to ignite passion - perhaps we all knew the "type"?

We also saw parallels...here's another question from one of our readers...

I wonder if the Major saw himself in his son, and then was able to more objectively look at his own situation. I wonder if the author intended/planned to have the lives of father and son parallel or if it “just happened.” I know authors often talk about characters taking on lives of their own, doing unexpected things, etc. I could see this parallelism being planned or being a pleasant surprise. I wonder which is was.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #386 on: May 03, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
 ;) At least you know the outraged folks have read your book  :D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #387 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »
Barbara, can you think of anyone who caused more "outrage"  than the Vicar in our discussion?

How about the Vicar? His reasoning against this mixed marriage upset quite a few. Can you tell us if you saw him as mouthing Church teaching or expressing his own opinions based on what others might think?

Simonson

« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
I'm not up on Church of England dogma in particular but it does beg the question, doesn't it?  If you believe only Jesus Christ can save souls, then where would that leave your Muslim wife?  Certainly not in the graveyard which is consecrated ground for registered parishioners only.  I was definitely taking a little poke at the C of E but this is actually an issue for all religions - if you practice in a conservative manner.  I think in the USA, some of us like to gloss over whatever dogma does not suit us and I was very interested in what would happen if you tried to stick to dogma.  Abdul Wahid represents this idea and he is tortured about his life.  This is a BIG issue and I tried to keep it as small as possible in my book. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
Helen the dry  humor in the many quips from the Major are priceless - is this part of  your personality or the personality of someone near and dear to you?

Simonson

« Reply #390 on: May 03, 2011, 11:35:44 AM »
Did you really have a fight over the Vicar and feel outrage?  I thought he was pointing out the obvious difficulty for a man of the cloth.  There are similar difficulties for all our ministers over abortion, over same sex marriage and so on.  I'm firmly on the side of 'anything goes' but I'm not an ordained minister responsible for maintaining faith standards.   

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #391 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
I think in keeping the big issues "small"  you accomplished a great deal.  You didn't belabor them, though they caused your characters to react.  Many of our readers could hardly believe that a church would be so narrow as to deny them.

Back to the marriage...how do you see the Major and Jasmina in the future - will they attend the Vicar's church?  Will they be buried in that little cemetary beside the church?

Simonson

« Reply #392 on: May 03, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
I was afraid that the dry humor was just a British thing and that I wasn't really being funny.  I have been informed that I speak like my book reads and I am very grateful to be thought witty.  I would prefer to be thought amazingly slender and outrageously beautiful but that is just not how it's going on my book tour. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #393 on: May 03, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
This is a late addition question, to be answered only if you have time.

We really haven’t said much about one of the most likable characters and that is George.  Does he serve a special purpose here or represent anything in particular?  His name, of course, is so very British, I wondered if perhaps he was a sign of better things to come for the Pakistani population.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #394 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
It sounds like you speak like the Major, not knowing that you are outrageously funny!
I hope to see you as you hope to be seen -  in Arlington on Thursday pm.

Simonson

« Reply #395 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »
Unless Mrs. Ali converts to Christianity she will not be allowed a spot in the churchyard.  She and the Major will have to be buried in the Municipal Cemetery in  Hazelbourne-on-Sea.  Which begs the question of whether the Major will be buried with Nancy or Jasmina?  Which begs the bigger question...and here we go again off in a discussion about the nature of God.  it's all quite exhausting, isn't it?  Perhaps a cup of tea...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #396 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:54 AM »
Pedln...good to see you - you and little George...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #397 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »
Joan we are all green with envy - Helen your story is wonderful - my big complaint is why Random house does not do a better job of featuring  your book on their Home page or at lest include the book as having a list of group questions - this story would make a perfect movie - hope that comes to be...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
It is a big question, isn't it?  I was a bit surprised that some were aghast that this would be the case.  Maybe they were expressing dismay that the Church - that any Church is  exclusive.

Simonson

« Reply #399 on: May 03, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
GEORGE - yes, no accident in naming him after England's patron saint.  He is the future of England, like it or not, and it was not a giant leap of imagination to heap the unanswerable future onto his slim and adorable shoulders.  One can only hop for incremental improvement such that George will feel more of a sense of belonging to his own country that his parents or grandparents' generation felt.   

Will be delighted to see you in Arlington!