Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1973259 times)

maryz

• Z's World
Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!  

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

Steph, haven't you heard of the Flori-bama Lounge?  It was made famous by Jimmy Buffett.  And it really exists on the Florida/Alabama line on the beach.  It's a real "dive".  :D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »
The lively Northwest Literary community produced some books in 2008 that I will surely be reading.  Check these out;  http://blog.oregonlive.com/books/2008/12/top_10_northwest_books.html
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2009, 08:56:45 PM »
I was just cruising around the NASA site and signed up for their newsletter. In the newsletter signup section they also included the NSF, USGovernment and the Library of Congress and a few others. Does anyone get the Library of Congress Newsletters?

Steph

« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2009, 08:02:41 AM »
Off in the rv for a few days in St. Augustine. Just for fun.. Since Gracie, our newest rescue has been judged healthy from the heartworm meds, thought we would introduce her to the ocean.. No idea how she will feel about this.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
Jackie, that's an interesting list.  There are 3 or 4 on it I wouldn't mind reading.  I had to laugh at this line in the description of "The Alchemy of Air": "It satisfies with its sweep of history, all the more difficult an accomplishment as the nitrogen cycle in and of itself may not be compelling to lay readers."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »
One of my favorite Oregon writers is Molly Gloss, a 4th generation Oregonian.  I think we talked about "The Jump-Off Creek" here in the Library--it's the story of a woman homesteading alone in Oregon.  Her latest, which I just read recently, is "The Hearts of Horses", about of a 20 year old girl who, in 1917, comes to a small Oregon farming community to make money by gentling horses.   The story is low-key, and Gloss is absolutely pitch-perfect in describing the people of the community.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/molly-gloss/hearts-of-horses.htm

mrssherlock

« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
Pat:  I loved Jump Off Creek.  Thanks for the new title; my library doesn't have it in the catalog (yet?).  Started me on a cycle of reading about pioneer women.  That's what I like about Sandra Dallas where we follow the migration west through the lives of the women.  Subtly civilizing as they followed in their mates' wake, bringing comfort with homely virtues like quilting.  Sustaining and taming as they went.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »
I loved Jump Off Creek, too.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2009, 05:44:53 PM »
Jackie, thanks for the link to the Northwest Writers.  Without alerts to lists like these we miss knowing about some really good writers,  because they aren't heavily reviewed or publicized outside their region.  The Wink of the Zenith sounds fascinating to me, by Floyd Skloot, a writer who suffered a brain virus several years ago that left him with no memory.

Your link sent me looking for other regional conferences -- lots in the Pacific Northwest -- wondering who will be the next to break into the national spotlight -- the next Jean Auel or David Guterson or Norman Maclean, or from the south like Olive Anne Burns, who died before her second book was finished, or  like Ferrol Sams with his delightful trilogy about being raised right, in Georgia.  Why do we know about these folks, and not some of the others.

Steph

« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
Read most of Heart of Horses, but did not like it at all.
I am reading David Liss... The Coffee Trader and finding it wonderful.. Really holds me.. Noone is telling the truth thus far.. Good writer.

Babi

« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2009, 08:42:45 AM »
 Did a quick check. My library has "Heart of Horses", but not the earlier
"Jump Off Creek".  Still, I think I'll check it out. Gloss sounds like
someone I would like.

I know Jean Auel, of course, PEDLIN, but haven't heard of Guterson or
McLean. What have they written?  Ferrol Sams does sound vaguely
familiar.  I think I remember reading about him back on Seniornet.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »
Steph:  I've read every David Liss I could find and have never been disappointed. 
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
I just ordered  the kindle sample for the coffee trader.  I get such good leads here. thank you all.
claire
thimk

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
Steph, I remember The Coffee Trader.  We read it on the old site.  I don't remember who led it, but we talked about the details of the floor in one of the paintings by the old Dutch masters that was in the heading, and that has just stuck with me ever since.  Now every time I look at paintings from that period, I look at at the floors.  I hope to read more Liss in time.

Babi, David Guterson wrote Snow Falling of Cedars, and Norman MacLean wrote The River Runs Through It  (there's also a movie by that title).  Some folks refer to it as that fly-fishing movie.  Of course, it is more than that. 

Jackie's link the other day kind of pushed me into other sites about author gatherings.  That and the fact that I was researching Nancy Pickard as I'm leading my f2f group in its discussion of her Virgin of Small Plains.  In the process I came across a Great Mystery Writers conclave, held every year around Halloween,  in Manhattan, KS (Kansas State?) Attended by lots of writers.  And every year a guest of honor.  Pickard has held that, and this year it's Eileen Fowler -- the quilt mystery lady.  This internet sure can lead you into lots of places.

Steph

« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »
Oh Pedlin, can anyone come to the mystery writers meeting. Sounds so neat.
The Coffee Trader is such a neat book. So many things I dont quite understand. Wish I had ben in the discussion. The maid baffles me.. and the chewing of the coffee beans sounds gross.
Still it is such a neat book. I will definitely read more of him.

Babi

« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2009, 08:51:07 AM »
Thanks, PEDLN. I did see the movie version of "A River Runs Through It". I found much of it troubling and unsettling, as I recall. What was "Snow on Cedars" about?  I like the title.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
Bitch Creek by William Tappley is a paen to fly fishing, with a mystery thrown in for good measure.  Something there is that loves the battle between mankind and fish.  Never understood it myself.
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »
ghghghgh
thimk

serenesheila

« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
I absolutely loved "Snow Falling On Cedars".  I read it a few years ago, and would like to read it again.  As I remember it takes place in Washington State.  It is one of those books which I wanted to read straight through.  But, I am sorry to say that I cannot remember the story line.

Sheila

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »
"Snow Falling on Sedars" is about the Japanese community in Washington State, carrying them through WWII when they were interned and the aftermath. It is a great book.

I saw the movie of "The River Runs Through It" and thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. I mean to read the book -- in fact. you remind me. I think I bought the book, and now don't remember where it is.

mrssherlock

« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2009, 06:01:09 PM »
A new feature on the NPR website is a weekly update on the books the satff is reading.  Here's this weeks picks:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1032
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:18 PM »
mmmmmm  snow falling on cedars is a really fine book. I read it years ago and felt very guilty for what was done to these people.
thimk

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »
Wasn't "Snow Falling on Cedars" the very first book discussed on the old SN site?  I wasn't a part of SN then, but read the book with great pleasure later.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2009, 08:28:37 AM »
Yes it was, Pat...Snow Falling on Cedars was the very first time we came together to discuss a book - in 1996, it was.  It will always hold a special place in our hearts.  Once we started those monthly Book Discussions, we never stopped, never missed one.  Unfortunately, we weren't archiving those early discussions yet...

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2009, 09:00:41 AM »
Yes it was as Pearson says, and we actually had on call a woman whose parents had lived in an internment camp in CA I think it was. I had never heard of that, so it was in many ways an eye opener for me, too.

Thank you for that link, Mrs. Sherlock, I love NPR. I'm interested to see what they are reading.

I am currently obsessed with Mrs. Astor Regrets, it's absolutely un put down able, if that's English.

The other day I woke up at 4 and thought, heck I can read Mrs.  Astor and I got so engrossed in it, it was 7:30 before I looked up, it's that good.

Almost through, what a family saga that one is.

I've got Peter Mayle's newest one on tap next, I love his fiction, that one about the painter is the perfect travel book, Chasing Cezanne? Can't remember the title,  it's old, in paperback and totally engrossing.

Have also finished reading the entire Mapp and Lucia series again, how soothing those are,  have not done the Holt sequels, but what a joy to be in the middle of a war where the worst thing that happens is a flap over bridge in a tea room or Roman ruins in the garden which turn up not to be ruins at all. Or a mayoral race.  Funny funny delightful books. Benson is highly underrated, his comedies of manners are just wonderful. Hard to find now tho.

Those of you who liked Snow Falling on  Cedars, what did you think of his latest book?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2009, 09:08:58 AM »
Kindle and other E Book Readers fans, people are reporting to Rick  Steves that his guidebooks cannot be used in  Europe on e books, see his website. Why would that be?

On the NPR site, one article under My Guilty Pleasure is on Peter Benchley's Jaws: 'Jaws': Celebrating Sand, Sex And A Really Big Fish.

The author, Lizzie Skurnick, says:

You're supposed to feel guilty when you secretly like the movie version of a book better than the book itself, but in the case of Jaws — a book I read and reread long before I was allowed to see the film — I'm far more embarrassed to admit I prefer the novel. Because while Jaws the movie is a bone-chilling update on Moby Dick, Jaws the novel is more like Peyton Place by the sea. Everyone swears like a sailor, and the hunt for the shark comes a very distant second to a bunch of hot summer trysts

I am so glad to see that. I absolutely love Peter Benchley's books, all of them, and was sorry when he died. That one on the squid, his books always have a solid foundation in science and  sea stuff, and when it was written people thought, oh brother, a horror story,  then these giant squid began turning up, from the depths of the ocean,  bigger actually than what he wrote about.

Anybody here a Benchley fan?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

Steph

« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »
 Home and life is truly horrid today.After yesterdays shooting at Ft. Hood, we arrived home in Clermont to discover that we are in the middle of a shooting in Orlando. We must have missed the shut down of the road by maybe 15 minutes. How scary.

mabel1015j

« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
Marking

I am reading a very interesting bio of Marjorie Merriweather Post by Nancy Rubin. Their are many facets of interest in this book - the reason Post began the cereal business and how General Foods developed; Christian Science; Marjorie's husbands (the first one became the grandfather to Glenn Close, the second on was E.F. Hutton who was a great financier, but also uncle to Barbara Hutton, the third one was ambassador to Russia); the life of the VERY  rich - her houses, her yatchs, her philanthopy, etc.; her dgt Dina Merrill.

I reccommend it, altho it is stuffed full of detail and sometimes gets tedious..................jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2009, 04:23:23 PM »
Steph. I hope that everything is okay with you. That situation sounds scary.

mrssherlock

« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »
Steph:  We had one of those shootings once about 20 years ago in a neighboring town.  I knew people who worked there and it was absolutely horrible; later I would hear how this one had passed by just a few minutes before the gunman started shooting.  This kind of experience is disturbing, Steph.  Take care of yourself and be alert for signs of shock or anxiety.  The whole world has heard too many stories of violence and death; it is like we are under seige.  PTSD can hit us, even though we aren't on the front lines, simply from overload of horrors.
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »
I wnder if thr shooter in orlando got the impulse from the one the day before in texas. he is a psychologist .the one in texas which makes us all question his motives. We don't seem to bedoing that with the one in orlando who was laid off in 2007. the time lapse is questionable. he has worked for other companies since, so why this one???  The story i more about why than the actual drama and horror of the happening.  are we getting more interested in the roots of the problem now that it is so common?
thimk

Babi

« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2009, 08:24:13 AM »
  Do  you suppose it could be that when times get harder, and more people are under pressure, that more of them snap?  A lot of people have problems with anxiety anyway; hard times become overload.
Perhaps it would help if more counseling and assistance were available.
I think you're right, JACKIE; civilian stress disorder is just as real.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2009, 08:53:06 AM »
But, of course, in hard economic times, the mental health services offered by a local govt are cut because the money isn't available or people are out of work and can't afford private mental health help. Talk about a vicious circle.

jane

Steph

« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2009, 09:21:17 AM »
The Orlando shooter has been fired from several jobs after this one. He has been evaluated for mental problems and when he has the money takes meds.. Has pushed and shoved people around for years, has two ex wives.. Lives with his Mom for the past few months. The person he killed he did not even know.. Life is scary.. Why do they decided to shoot.. My theory is if you are that angry, kill yourself, but leave others their lives. I am sure in both cases, we will hear a lot about snapping, but that does not bring back the dead..

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »
Life is scary.. Why do they decided to shoot.. My theory is if you are that angry, kill yourself, but leave others their lives. I am sure in both cases, we will hear a lot about snapping, but that does not bring back the dead..

Amen, Stephanie!

mrssherlock

« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
It's known as suicide by cop.  A shooting rampage, cops arrive, no surrender, one dead shooter.  Then the poor policeman has to bear the burden of the killing for the rest of his life even when it saves lives.
Jackie

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
I usually don’t read all the ads and junk and stuff that comes in my email, but couldn’t pass up one from Abebooks --  Discover the Reading Lists of World War I

The article talks about how the soldiers craved reading materials when they were statemated in the trenches and tells about their favorites.  Two of those mentioned are books recently talked about at some length here on SeniorLearn – Kipling’s Kim and 39 Steps by John Buchan.

Trench Reading in WWI

And at the bottom of the page is a link  to the story of another soldier reader – this time in Iraq.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2009, 10:20:57 AM »
That's a very impressive link, Jackie, thank you for sharing it with us.

Talk about being au courant,  I finished Mrs. Astor regrets in the wee hours and was startled to see (it's in paperback) that it covers all the way up through August of 2009  and his trial. My husband thought that just recently there had been something on the news about it and there was: October 9: Brooke Astor’s Son Guilty in Scheme to Defraud Her:  it's interesting reading: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/nyregion/09astor.html

Found guilty by a jury  on 14 of the 16  charges, he's 85 years old, a former  ambassador and Iwo Jima Marine hero. Talk about That Old Cape Magic, here is dysfunction. That's not even a month old!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2009, 07:17:43 PM »
I usually don’t read all the ads and junk and stuff that comes in my email, but couldn’t pass up one from Abebooks --  Discover the Reading Lists of World War I
Pedln, I always read the emails from Abebooks, get all sorts of useful or amusing tidbits from them.  Did you know that, as well as writing "Frankenstein", Mary Shelley wrote a post-apocalyptic novel--"The Last Man"?  And here's their list of the 10 most depressing books (fair warning to readers).

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/books/bleak-miserable-horrible-sad-novels/depressing-stories.shtml

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
Oh my, they obviously have not yet met THe Bee Season and should be include the latest Russo in that list?    :P