Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870423 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5160 on: May 21, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Thanks, Tomereader!!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5161 on: May 22, 2013, 03:25:12 PM »
So glad Callie is OK.

Today is the 210th anniversity of the opening of the first Public Library (Philadelphia)! Hooray, libraries!

(My source didn't make clear whether that was first anywhere or first in the US).

MaryPage

« Reply #5162 on: May 23, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
Jane, per your request I took a bunch of photos with my iPad this morning, at least until I became totally exhausted.  Holding an iPad to take pictures is not fun, but I gave away and threw out all of my cameras after Bob died.  I dislike taking pictures.  Anyway, these do not represent the WHOLE house, but at least will give you a sense that I have books stacked Everywhere!  The larger bookshelves have books two deep if they are regular sized and three deep if they are paperbacks.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5163 on: May 23, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
Can someone here remind me of the website where you can look up mystery books, by LOCALE?  I know it's not Stop You're Killing Me, but my mind is going absolutely blank on the other site.  Help !!!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #5164 on: May 23, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
Hooray for Callie. Finished the Alafair Burke book.. An interesting plot for sure.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5166 on: May 23, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »
Thanks, jane, for helping MaryPage.  Glad to see she didn't forget the books in the most important room - the bathroom  :D

We've managed to get rid of most of our books - either by giving them to friends and family or to the library book sale.   And we don't buy any new paper books (just ebooks).  I'm assuming we won't be in this house for too many more years, and I don't want to have to deal with them at that point - or have anybody else deal with them. 

We all do what works for us, don't we.   :D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #5167 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
 ::)Thank you, Marypage for taking the pictures and jane for posting them.  I especially like the case on, what would be the right side of that lovely wicker bed.  You do have quite a few places to store our books.  Think I saw one shelf that has your Teaching Company dvds on it.
Thanks to you both.  And MP you keep the books so neatly placed  I have a tendency to just poke something on top if the shelf is otherwise full! >:(
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #5168 on: May 24, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »
Thanks for the photos. The first thing I noticed was the binoculars. I keep mine out on the bookshelf by the front door.

I've just started the last Didius Falco novel, Nemesis, while I am waiting for my next SciFi fix to show up at the library.

MaryPage

« Reply #5169 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »
My binoculars are there to grab to step right through the sliding glass doors there and onto the back deck, which looks out onto the vast waters of the Chesapeake Bay.  I watch the boat traffic that way.  I can see it well without the binoculars, and especially enjoy the Wednesday Night Sailboat Races, but the binoculars show me every particular up close.
And yes, I still own a lot of lectures from The Teaching Company that I have not found the time to watch.  Once I have taken a course that way, I pass it on to the granddaughter most likely to want it.  I see no point whatsoever in my taking a course twice, since there is still SO much to learn.  I am 84 years old today!  Not a whole lot of time left.

MaryPage

« Reply #5170 on: May 24, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
By the way, I had so much fun last night watching yet another D.C.I. BANKS British murder mystery on television on PBS.  These are from the books by Peter Robinson.  I buy every Robinson just as soon as it comes out in paperback, and I check my list against what Barnes & Noble offers once a year, to make certain I have them all.  I do this with all of my favorite series authors.
Peter Robinson started in 1987 with Gallows View.  There are TWENTY-TWO ( 22 ) D.C.I. Banks books in all, ending with Watching The Dark.
I expect you all know you can do a search titled:  List books by (author's name) and be directed to a website where you can find a complete list of any author's work.  Then print it out and check off what you've read and what you haven't.
Anyway, Robinson is not the very best ever, but he is good.  I am enjoying.

MaryPage

« Reply #5171 on: May 24, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »
1987   GALLOWS VIEW
1988   DEDICATED  MAN
1989   NECESSARY  END
1989   HANGING  VALLEY
1991   PAST  REASON  HATED
1992   WEDNESDAY’S  CHILD
1994   FINAL  ACCOUNT
1996   INNOCENT  GRAVES
1997   BLOOD  AT  THE  ROOT
1999   IN  A  DRY  SEASON
2000   COLD  IS  THE  GRAVE
2001   AFTERMATH
2003   CLOSE    TO    HOME
2004   PLAYING WITH FIRE
2005   STRANGE AFFAIR
2006   PIECE OF MY HEART
2007   FRIEND OF THE DEVIL   
2009   ALL THE COLORS OF DARKNESS
2010   THE PRICE OF LOVE
2011   BAD BOY
2012   BEFORE THE POISON
2013   WATCHING THE DARK    

all by Peter Robinson

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5172 on: May 24, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »
I enjoyed the slideshow of Mary Page's books.  That was nice of you Jane to do that.  I gave away most of my books when we moved to Florida 25 years ago and have been using our very good local library since then.  I do buy an occasional book for my iPad from Amazon or iBooks.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5173 on: May 24, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
Happy Birthday, MaryPage!  You're an inspiration to all of us.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5174 on: May 24, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »
Happy Birthday, MaryPage! Enjoy your Day!!

Tomereader1

« Reply #5175 on: May 24, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
Wow!  Happy Birthday, Marypage.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #5176 on: May 24, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »
The pics of the bookcases just came up as links (for me) not as a slide show.  Can I make them do that, Jane?

André Maurois

Scottieluvr

« Reply #5177 on: May 24, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
Happy Birthday! Marypage  8)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

MaryPage

« Reply #5178 on: May 24, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
Thank you so much.
I am having a lovely day.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5179 on: May 24, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »
Just a note to say that in our preparations for a Holiday Weekend, let us not forget what Memorial Day is really all about.  We can quietly say a prayer or meditation for those who serve our country, or the ones who served our country in days gone by and gave full measure.  Please take a moment to remember our Troops, wherever they might be.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5180 on: May 24, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
Happy birthday, MaryPage, and many more to come.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5181 on: May 24, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY PAGE!

Your books look like mine, except that your bookcases are much prettier, and many of my books are still in cartons in the garage since my move. I lost several bookcases on the move -- they just fell apart.

In addition to that, I have over 400 books in my kindle archives.

Where did you get those gorgeous bookcases?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5182 on: May 24, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
I keep my binoculars by the front door too, but I don,t have a spectacular vista like Mary Page's.  Mostly, I need to be able to grab them quickly for bird identification.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5183 on: May 24, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
Kindle could only pre-order "Gallows View", but they had "In a dry season for $4.74. I got a sample. I've never watched DCI Banks. Have to try it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5184 on: May 24, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »
REad a good book from the library: "Muder in Argeles" by D-L Nelson. (that's D hyphen L, don't ask me why, but search for it by D L nelson. A swiss American ex-pat. Takes place in a small town in france. Only problem: the most interesting character gets murdered on page 3. I wish she'd left him and murdered someone elsee.

salan

« Reply #5185 on: May 24, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Happy Birthday, Mary Page.  A woman in front of me at the beauty shop was 100 years old in March.  She was mentally acute, a little frail; but with a great attitude.  She said her goal now was to reach 125!  So, you may have a lot more time than you think!
Sally

salan

« Reply #5186 on: May 24, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
I am reading The Cruel Telling by Louise Penny.  I am really enjoying it & it's keeping me guessing as to "Who Done It".  I do enjoy Penny's Inspector Gamache series.  Thanks to the person on this web site that introduced me to them.

The library is holding the latest "Aunt Dimity" book by Joan Atherton for me--Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince.  I enjoy these cozy mysteries.
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #5187 on: May 24, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES, MaryPage.

MaryPage

« Reply #5188 on: May 24, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »
Sally, a lot of those paperbacks piled up in the little stand next to my toilet are Aunt Dimity's that I haven't read yet.  My daughter borrowed them all from me last summer and read them and put them back there.  I have read only about one third of my Aunt Dimity's, and the ones I have read have been passed on to my granddaughter Paige in Baltimore.  So there you have it, that pile of Aunt Dimity's is as yet unread by me!
Joan, I got a lot of my bookcases from Branch Hill Joinery in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Their carpenters are Amish who spend their winters making the lovliest, most sturdy furniture of all kinds.  What I love about their bookcases is that they have REAL FINISHED BACKS.  They stand up to the punishment of all the weight they carry.
The skinny bookcase that is darker in color is one I have owned since I got it for Christmas the year I was seven years old.  You see, books have been the centerpiece of my life all of my life.  No expert I, and I never have and never will claim to be.  I am not at all  knowledgable about books, I just love, love, love to read and would sooner die if I could not.

Steph

« Reply #5189 on: May 24, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »
The Happiest of birthdays to you MaryPage. Where would we be without your joy in life.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5190 on: May 25, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
A very happy birthday, Mary Page:

" I just love, love, love to read and would sooner die if I could not."

I'm with you there.

And thanks to whoever here introduced me to the Aunt Dimity mysteries. I read them one by one on my kindle. And "Aunt Dimity and the missing Prince" is next on my list, too.

salan

« Reply #5191 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
JoanK., that's just one of things I love about this web site....we can share/introduce authors we enjoy.  That is how I learned about Louise Penny and Inspector Gamache and Julia Spencer-Flemming and her Clare Fergusson series.  I am enjoying both of those series.  I may have been the one who recommended the Aunt Dimity series.
Sally

serenesheila

« Reply #5192 on: May 25, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
 A very Happy Birthday,belatedy, Mary Page!  I hope that you had a ver special day.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #5193 on: May 26, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »
I find Julia Spencer-Fleming infinitely interesting. One of the best authors that as come along in the past few years. I am not Aunt Dimity fan, though. I had collected a bunch of very very light cozies and am flipping through.. Some of them..sigh.. the women cannot write.. they are those numbered romance writers and simply cannot plot successfully.Oh well. I trade them off.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5194 on: May 27, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »
A very happy birthday, belatedly, MaryPage.  I hope your day was splendid!

Frybabe

« Reply #5195 on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:03 AM »
I have finished Nemesis and have now started reading Carol Goodman's The Sonnet Lover.

Regarding Nemesis it was another interesting Didius Falco, but I was a little disappointed at what appeared to be a few modernisms. For example, the foster child at 17 was considered a teen in the book. Wouldn't she have been considered a full adult and most likely already married or betrothed in the first century AD? Did astrologers wear layers of colorful clothing and scarves and have typically TV style establishments back then? Davis ended her series with the current fascination with serial killer stories. She brought the series full circle (kind of) at the end to repeat an action taken in the first book: nice  touch, a bit of a surprise.

Steph

« Reply #5196 on: May 28, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
I like Falco. Will have to look for the new one.

Frybabe

« Reply #5197 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
Steph, Nemesis is the last of the series. Sob, sob!  :(

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5198 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
I liked the first DCI Banks story I read a lot "In the Dry Season". About an old body found when a "drowned town" is re-exposed by a draught. So switches between present day and WWII. Lots of layers to it.

I'll definately read more. Have the next one on my kindle already.

Steph

« Reply #5199 on: May 29, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »
Falco had sort of run his course, but I do like him.. What is she going to write about now, I wonder.