Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 867250 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4960 on: March 27, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK    

Mysteries with cats are popular, and lately mysteries with ghosts helping the detective are popular. Here is a mystery with the ghost of a cat! "Gray Expectations" by Clea Simon. The detective, a graduate student, is helped both by the ghost of her former cat, who contacts her, and by her present kitten (whom she can't understand yet). It's a little too much for me, but the graduate student trying to finish her thesis brought back a lot of memories of that late, unlemented part of my life. I'll probably read more.

I forgot to mention there's also a ghost from her historical research. Why not? In for a penny, in for a pound! But the subject is interesting: a feminist novel writer of the early 19th century and what happens to her.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4961 on: March 27, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
I see the same author wrote books about dogs that I've read.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/clea-simon/

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4962 on: March 27, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
Mysteries with cats are popular, and lately mysteries with ghosts helping the detective are popular. Here is a mystery with the ghost of a cat! "Gray Expectations" by Clea Simon. The detective, a graduate student, is helped both by the ghost of her former cat, who contacts her, and by her present kitten (whom she can't understand yet). It's a little too much for me, but the graduate student trying to finish her thesis brought back a lot of memories of that late, unlemented part of my life. I'll probably read more.

I forgot to mention there's also a ghost from her historical research. Why not? In for a penny, in for a pound! But the subject is interesting: a feminist novel writer of the early 19th century and what happens to her.

Many years ago during my “cat detective” reading period, I enjoyed mostly Lillian Jackson Braun. The characters were a Siamese cat living with a single older man.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4963 on: March 27, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »
From my post on “The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins” forum: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=3772.msg187945#msg187945

Confusingly, th Mystery Timeline says that the mystery story as we know it didn't emerge until Poe, but "the moonstone is considered the first detective novel.

http://www.mysterynet.com/timeline/history-of-mystery/

Interesting that among early mystery writer, they also list Cicero, the Roman orator. He didn't write mysteries, but they say that "

I love that web site you've cited; its bookmarked on all my computers. That site also introduced, to me, a female mystery writer of the 40-50's, Craig Rice. I'm not ready to buy any of her works because I haven't gotten to the library to investigate this new author further.  Sorry a bit off topic...  ;D but I do find the web site valuable in information.

To add to this conversation…

I read Craig Rice’s biography, downloaded from Amazon (a Kindle freebie): “Who Was That Lady?: Craig Rice: The Queen of Screwball Mystery”, by Jeffrey Marks. Lingering well after reading this book was how this woman’s own mother left her in the USA while she (mom) gallivanted across Europe. When Craig was 3 years old, mom returned for a short period then left for Europe. When Craig became a mother her maternal instincts were no more developed than her mother’s; even though raised by a loving aunt and uncle.  The other point that stayed with me was how prolific a writer Craig was; she massed produced short stories/novellas like a well oiled machine.  However, that ended when her alcoholism took over her health.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

mabel1015j

« Reply #4964 on: March 27, 2013, 11:48:01 PM »
Just read McPherson's Lament by Sharyn McCrumb. Unless you just don't have something you'd really like to read, don't bother picking it up. It wasn't so bad that i wanted to throw it across the room, but if it was the first one of hers i had read, i wouldn't look for another.

Steph

« Reply #4965 on: March 28, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »
Oh Jean, that is the series and I hated them, but McCrumbs Norah Bonesteel novels.. I.E. The Ballad of Frankie Silver are marvelous. Retelling of folk legends from North Carolina and matching them to something happening in the now.. Excellent, but the Scottish stuff is silly.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4966 on: March 28, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
Thanks for the heads up - I normally will read anything by Sharyn McCrumb.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #4967 on: March 28, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
I read her for years and years and loved her, but then I read one that had tumbled off her high throne and was written just to get a book to her publishers, obviously.  I think if the passion and inspiration leave an author, they leave.  Shut the door and do not come back.  Pity.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4968 on: March 28, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Seems to be happening to a lot of the, what use to be Great Writers.It has to be that they are writing more books a year. Some I know are getting older but that should not change how they write. Lot of new ones now writing are awful.  Some I can figure what they end is going to be before being half way through the book.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4969 on: March 28, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »
I agree about writers getting worse as they go on. it seems to happen to many and it's always sad. I'm loyal: it usually takes me wading through too many bad books before I give up on an author.

The saddest for me was when one of my favorite authors, Dorothy Gilman, went downhill. I love her books. (No, maybe tthe saddest was Agatha Christie).

Interesting about craig Rice. I'll have to try to find the ones I read as a child (with children as the detectives) and see what I think. Maybe my grandchildren would like them. Now there are more mystery series for children. In my childhood, these were the only "whodunnits", I knew (Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys were a slightly different format).

Steph

« Reply #4970 on: March 29, 2013, 07:23:13 AM »
craig Rice was a funny mystery writer and probably one of the first. I can remember laughing hard over her version of detectives.

MaryPage

« Reply #4971 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:21 AM »
Oh Joan, I so adored Dorothy Gilman!  Thanks for giving me back that memory.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4972 on: March 29, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
In casae any of you don't know Dorothy Gilman and her Mrs. Pollifax, the retired woman who is bored and goes to the CIA to volenteer to be a spy because she is expendable, here she is. Start with "The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/dorothy-gilman/

Mrs. Polifax is who I want to be when I grow up.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4973 on: March 29, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
In casae any of you don't know Dorothy Gilman and her Mrs. Pollifax, the retired woman who is bored and goes to the CIA to volenteer to be a spy because she is expendable, here she is. Start with "The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/dorothy-gilman/

Mrs. Polifax is who I want to be when I grow up.

Me too!  I want to be Mrs. Pollifax too.   ;D

Thank you for this share as I've been looking for stories that feature older.  As I grow older I want my characters to do the same.  8)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4974 on: March 29, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
I agree about writers getting worse as they go on. it seems to happen to many and it's always sad. I'm loyal: it usually takes me wading through too many bad books before I give up on an author.

The saddest for me was when one of my favorite authors, Dorothy Gilman, went downhill. I love her books. (No, maybe tthe saddest was Agatha Christie).

Interesting about craig Rice. I'll have to try to find the ones I read as a child (with children as the detectives) and see what I think. Maybe my grandchildren would like them. Now there are more mystery series for children. In my childhood, these were the only "whodunnits", I knew (Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys were a slightly different format).

I wonder if its a curse from being creative; the abuse of substances and the following decline? Maybe the stress from "performing" on cue,  i.e., in meeting unreasonable deadlines? Still, its obvious that many great authors suffered personally while generating such wonderful work. Today's authors don't seem to suffer as those in the early 20th century. Or maybe they hide it better.  :-\
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4975 on: March 29, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »
craig Rice was a funny mystery writer and probably one of the first. I can remember laughing hard over her version of detectives.

I've never read any of her books, Craig Rice. What kind of detectives did she write? I think it was Joan who mentioned children detectives...what were some others?
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

mabel1015j

« Reply #4976 on: March 29, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
Boohoo, my library has none of her books.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #4977 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:25 AM »
I suspect it will be hard to find her books. She wrote quite a long time ago.. Her adult detectives were very funny.. hard boiled or so they thought.. Not great thinkers either.. So it was fun.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4978 on: March 30, 2013, 06:59:34 AM »
None in my library either  >:(

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #4979 on: March 30, 2013, 07:18:23 AM »
Two of her works are listed on ManyBooks. http://manybooks.net/authors/ricec.html

mabel1015j

« Reply #4980 on: March 30, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
Oh, thanks for the tip Frybabe, i will read those.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4981 on: March 30, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
I ordered the one about the children detectives from Amazon for $1.oo plus shipping. it was part of a series "Great Mystery Stories of All Time."

Steph

« Reply #4982 on: March 31, 2013, 06:07:18 AM »
Lots of taking down the high things yesterday and am giving my sons and wives picks of a good many of my paintings we have collected over the years. The smaller house is not going to have wall space for this.
We also collected masks from all over the world and they can pick from them as well. That is what the grandchildren wanted. They each picked two masks. My younger son and wife picked two larger pictures.. Seems they had loved them for years. Always interesting what people love and don't love.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4983 on: March 31, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
Steph, I know it's hard, making these decisions.  But it is fun to see what's important to the kids and grands and to tie that to what they remember.  It's not always what we remember and think is important. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

nlhome

« Reply #4984 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
Steph, how nice that you can share these special things with your family and see their enjoyment and appreciation.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4985 on: March 31, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
Lots of taking down the high things yesterday and am giving my sons and wives picks of a good many of my paintings we have collected over the years. The smaller house is not going to have wall space for this.
We also collected masks from all over the world and they can pick from them as well. That is what the grandchildren wanted. They each picked two masks. My younger son and wife picked two larger pictures.. Seems they had loved them for years. Always interesting what people love and don't love.

It’s a representation of you and your dear-husband, most likely why your family quietly coveted those things. What an honor that they share your tastes in wall adornments.  My children are more art-deco, fashinista-finicky.  :D  I have a pleasing floral painting done by my mother-in-law. It adds elegance to my simple country décor. Then the family heirloom antiques, keroscene lamp, clock, and cut glass a pieces cause noses to crunch up, in distaste. Oh well, they're loss when the time comes.  ;) Its their only inheritance... ;D
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4986 on: March 31, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »
Boohoo, my library has none of her books. – Jean
None in my library either  >:(  - Rosemary

I’m fear that will be my problem when looking for her books. If it’s the case, I’ll look into an online library lending, Amazon dot com, or a used bookstore up the road from me. Purchasing her books “gently” used for a nominal cost would be worth the effort. 

Two of her works are listed on ManyBooks. http://manybooks.net/authors/ricec.html
I ordered the one about the children detectives from Amazon for $1.oo plus shipping. it was part of a series "Great Mystery Stories of All Time."

Frybaby and Joan: thanks for the leads. I’ve already downloaded the books. And today will check out Amazon for some others.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Steph

« Reply #4987 on: April 01, 2013, 06:25:25 AM »
Finally.. it said reply, but had no box to do it.. My grandson is funny. He has been prowling the house and found a small painting of a leopard.. The size of most of the masks.. He came up beaming and said Nana.. look, can I have it and I told him, he could.. It gave me a pang.. Once when my husband was away on a business trip. He came home with it in his suitcases.There was an art show in the mall and he decided I would love it..Which I did, but it is nice, it will give Connor joy as well.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4988 on: April 01, 2013, 06:44:57 AM »
Great moment, Steph!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4989 on: April 01, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

MaryPage

« Reply #4990 on: April 01, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
Try Thrift Books for Mrs. Pollifax.

http://www.thriftbooks.com/searchresult.aspx?searchtext=dorothy%20gilman&searchby=author&intsortby=1&intsortorder=0

But if you have always loved mysteries, chances are you read her.  Long, long ago.  And she was, oh, what was her name?  That famous Hollywood star who was so funny and she adored Mrs. Pollifax, and she, too, wanted to be her.  So she paid to have a screen play written and she produced and starred in a flop film.  Flop because she just WAS NOT Mrs. Pollifax, nor could she ever have been.  Now someone like Helen Hayes would have made a splendid Mrs. Pollifax.

I adored Mrs. Pollifax, but never wanted to actually be her.  Remember, she got in some rreally scary situations and even carried a gun.  No thank you!  Not my precious body!

But oh, how I laughed and laughed and laughed.  That was what was so great;  she was so funny.

Oh, it was Rosalind Russell who did Mrs. Pollifax.  Not a bad film, if you want to try to find it;  but she just was not right for the part.

And I was right:  Thrift Books has all of Gilman's books.

Steph

« Reply #4991 on: April 02, 2013, 05:56:51 AM »
I loved the first several Pollifax books, but after a while, it seemed to be a formula and so stopped..

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4992 on: April 02, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
Read "November Hunt" , http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/jess-lourey/

Was it a good read?

Try Thrift Books for Mrs. Pollifax. http://www.thriftbooks.com/searchresult.aspx?searchtext=dorothy%20gilman&searchby=author&intsortby=1&intsortorder=0

But if you have always loved mysteries, chances are you read her.  Long, long ago.  And she was, oh, what was her name?  That famous Hollywood star who was so funny and she adored Mrs. Pollifax, and she, too, wanted to be her.  So she paid to have a screen play written and she produced and starred in a flop film.  Flop because she just WAS NOT Mrs. Pollifax, nor could she ever have been.  Now someone like Helen Hayes would have made a splendid Mrs. Pollifax. […] Oh, it was Rosalind Russell who did Mrs. Pollifax.  Not a bad film, if you want to try to find it;  but she just was not right for the part. And I was right:  Thrift Books has all of Gilman's books.

Yes!  Helen Hayes would have made an excellent sleuth. This reminds me of Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury.  Saw every episode, and even the reruns, but never read the books.

WOW!  They sure do… I’ve bookmarked this site.  Thank you for the link share.

I loved the first several Pollifax books, but after a while, it seemed to be a formula and so stopped..

A sad truth even today, the “formula” barely alters from one book to another. I think why many readers despise serial novels.

Scottieluvr aka Pamela

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4993 on: April 02, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »
Helen Hayes played Miss Marple in two movies (if I remember correctly). She was wonderful!

Sorry, I was interrupted while posting, and had to leave. "November Hunt" is an OK (not outstanding) mystery about a woman who finds herself in a small Minnesota town. There is one for each month. The best thing about it is that she used the Novemberness (if that's a word) as part of the plot. I will read more.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4994 on: April 02, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks to Pamela for reminding me of Craig Rice and "Home Sweet Homicide." Read it last night. It does date (nothing more dated than 1940s slang) but I enjoyed it and it does remind me of my childhood. She based it on her own family, herself a single mother with three children, who run the house while she is writing books. The children are working to solve the murder and marry their mother off to the police detective.

Sadly, the afterward says this is how she wishes her family was, but not how it actually was. She struggled with mental and substance abuse problems, and died young

marjifay

« Reply #4995 on: April 03, 2013, 01:15:48 AM »
Just read SNOWBOUND by Bill Pronzini.  Great mystery.  Pronzini is married to Marcia Muller, the mystery writer.  He's best known for his Nameless Detective series.

Snowbound keeps you on the edge of your seat.  A small town of some 79 people are isolated by an avalanch which has cut off their only road out.  Snowbound with them are three gunman who have gone to the village to hide out after an attempted heist in Sacramento.  The townspeople, busy getting ready for Christmas, are not aware of what these killers have in mind for them.  I'll read more of Pronzini.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #4996 on: April 03, 2013, 05:57:33 AM »
I remember Home Sweet Homicide.. and I like Pronzini.. but have not read anything of his in quite a while.. Too many books... too little time just now.

mabel1015j

« Reply #4997 on: April 03, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
Finished Laura Lippman's Sugar House last night. It started a little slowly, but became a good mystery. Since i'm a little familiar with Baltimore geographically and have friends who are Baltimore natives, it's fun for me to read her, especially when she throws in the "Balamor" accent.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4998 on: April 03, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »
Just read SNOWBOUND by Bill Pronzini.  Great mystery.  Pronzini is married to Marcia Muller, the mystery writer.  He's best known for his Nameless Detective series.

Snowbound keeps you on the edge of your seat.  A small town of some 79 people are isolated by an avalanch which has cut off their only road out.  Snowbound with them are three gunman who have gone to the village to hide out after an attempted heist in Sacramento.  The townspeople, busy getting ready for Christmas, are not aware of what these killers have in mind for them.  I'll read more of Pronzini.

Marj

Hello Marj,

Thanks for the recommendation. This book sounds intriguing and do love small-town mysteries.  :)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #4999 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
Finished Laura Lippman's Sugar House last night. It started a little slowly, but became a good mystery. Since i'm a little familiar with Baltimore geographically and have friends who are Baltimore natives, it's fun for me to read her, especially when she throws in the "Balamor" accent.

OH!  I'm not a Baltimore native, per say, but am a "Laurel, Marylander" who visited Baltimore every weekend (family).  Actually I visited the Dundalk area, my mother's siblings lived there. Use to fish off the docks which are now tourist attractions... sweet memories. When I'm tired or upset I have what's referred to as the Marylander accent; part New Jersey, part Virginian is the only example I can muster.  :D
Scottieluvr aka Pamela