Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556313 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1600 on: May 16, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Tomereader - South Riding is from the novel of the same name by Winifred Holtby.  It is very good:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/feb/19/south-riding-winifred-holtby-rereading

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1601 on: May 16, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
I don't think the Narnia books should have been made into films!

Rosemary
I agree, Rosemary, which is why I haven't yet watched any of them.  I'll succumb eventually, I suppose.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1602 on: May 16, 2011, 07:55:24 PM »
thank you rosemary
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1603 on: May 16, 2011, 09:31:07 PM »
Tomereader, it is a shame when people go to a lot of trouble and expense to create a TV program that is really quite good, but is deficient only because it is compressed into an insufficient number of episodes. I guess it is too expensive to produce more. We probably should be grateful that the producers allowed three episodes of South Riding and didn't insist on squeezing it all into two (or one!)

Frybabe

« Reply #1604 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:57 PM »
Just finished watching Castle. I was in shock at the ending, thought they had cancelled the show. Not so, it was just the season finale. What an ending!

CallieOK

« Reply #1605 on: May 17, 2011, 12:02:45 AM »
Frybabe, wasn't that something?   I wonder if she will remember what he said - and/or if he will repeat it in the next season opener?

salan

« Reply #1606 on: May 17, 2011, 03:50:04 AM »
Spoiler alert!  For those of you who haven't watched the season finale of "Castle"---don't read!  I, too, was shocked by the finale.  What an ending!  We know she can't be dead, can she???  I really enjoy this program and love all the characters in it.
Sally

jeriron

« Reply #1607 on: May 17, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
I've started watching "Lark Rise to Candleford" from Netflix. I only just finished the first disk but they have sent me the next two. There are 4 seasons so it will take awhile to see them all. I was going to buy them but I figured I might as well just rent them. They show them on my PBS station but I wanted to start at the beginning.

I've also been DVRing Doc Martin. They have an episode on Friday nights here.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1608 on: May 17, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
Depending on when you started watching Doc Martin, you can get all the Series from 1 to 4 from Netflix.  Isn't this just the most wonderful show?  My hubby likes it, which was a surprise to me, as he's not much into the "british series" thing, as I am.  He just laughs and laughs, as do I.  A friend clued me into this series late last year, as I had never heard of it.  Now we clamor for Saturday night to make sure we don't miss it.  On Netflix I am now on Series 3, I think.  Should have another one coming with this week's shipment.

And as to the spoiler alert, Castle is another show we try not to miss. I was shocked, totally and thought my husband was going to become unglued!!  No, no, they can't do that, he said.  I told him it was probably just another "cliff-hanger" to finish the season.  All I can say is, if it true, they'd better go ahead and cancel, as I will never watch again.

Network has also cancelled one of my "new" favorites, "Chicago Code".
Darn!!!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

jeriron

« Reply #1609 on: May 17, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »
It's on Saturday night not Friday like I said above. I looked at Netflix and It's the second season that they're showing here now. So I moved the first season up to the top of my Queue.

It's "New Tricks" That I DVR on Friday nights.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1610 on: May 18, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
I hadn't heard of Doc Martin. Thanks for the recommendation. My public library has the series on DVD.

Gumtree

« Reply #1611 on: May 19, 2011, 03:35:32 AM »
Doc Martin is fun - you'll enjoy!

Have just finished watching the four-part Portrait of a Marriage for the first time. Don't know how I missed it when it was shown. It's simply brilliant in what it does which is focus on the 'affaire' between Vita Sackville-West and Violet Keppel Trefusis and the effect that had on Vita's marriage to Harold Nicolson. I thought the two women playing the parts were superb though I'm unfamiliar with both as actors -
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1612 on: May 19, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »
My goodness, Gumtree, I've read the book, but had no idea that anyone had filmed it.  Turns out Netflix has it, so now it's in my queue.

Gumtree

« Reply #1613 on: May 19, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
PatH - Thought you'd have been all over it - it's in four episodes and runs about four hours.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1614 on: May 20, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
PatH - Thought you'd have been all over it - it's in four episodes and runs about four hours.
I would definitely have been all over it if I'd known it existed.

marjifay

« Reply #1615 on: May 22, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
I watched part of Doc Martin last night for the first time.  No more--not another show about illnesses!  Can't think of any subject I'd rather not watch stories about!  LOL.

My favorites are Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By.  No doctors.  No hospitals.  No illness.  Just fun.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1616 on: May 22, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »
Marjifay - do you get The Vicar of Dibley with Dawn French?  That is one of my favourite feelgood series.  I also love Absolutely Fabulous, with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley.

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #1617 on: May 22, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »
Rosemary asked, "Marjifay - do you get The Vicar of Dibley with Dawn French?  That is one of my favourite feelgood series.  I also love Absolutely Fabulous, with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley"

No, I haven't seen them.  I see they are available thru our Netflix, so I've put them on my queue there.  Thanks, much.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

roshanarose

« Reply #1618 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:27 PM »
Rosemary - Good choices to recommend there.  I also love "One Foot in the Grave".  And of course the much viewed (by me and my students who adored it) "Fawlty Towers".  Our favourite was the one about the hamster. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

jeriron

« Reply #1619 on: May 23, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »
I've been renting Lark Rise to CandlefordI've just finished the first season. I really am enjoying it. Dawn French is in that too. I never saw The Vicar of Dibley.It always seemed to be on too late at night.

PBS here is showing the second season of Doc Martin so I rented the first and it didn't have CC or subs.bummer..

Babi

« Reply #1620 on: May 23, 2011, 08:39:03 AM »
 Valerie and I have been watching 'Lark Rise..' faithfully.  We enjoy getting into it so much, we
both hate the idea that it will come to an end.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #1621 on: May 23, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
The first 2 maybe 3 of the seasons of Doc Martin did not have Closed Caption or subtitles.  If I remember, season 4 does.   We were out to dinner this last Saturday and missed seeing Doc, and in my haste to get ready, forgot to set the DVR.  I probably have that episode on the DVD that is waiting for me atop the entertainment center.

Off topic:  My eldest daughter is getting married (2nd) in June, and we were going out to dinner to meet his parents!  They were lovely, and we had a great time.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1622 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
I watched a couple of seasons of Lark Rise on DVD, after we got home from England.  I never did finish watching the whole series.  I thought it was okay, but not a must-see for me.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1623 on: May 23, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »
A bummer about no captions for Doc Martin, jerion.  I felt the same way about Cape of Good Hope  (set in South Africa) -- and it showed up without captions too.

Wall Street Never Sleeps is still sitting around, unwatched.  Maybe this week.  It's a good thing Netflix doesn't have late fees.

I watched PBS Murder on the Orient Express last night, but I didn't like it as well as the version with Albert Finney and the all-star cast.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1624 on: May 23, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
Wow Tomereader - i can imagine that must have been a bit scary!  sounds like it all went really well though.  How are the wedding preparations going?  Hard work?  I can't imagine how I will ever get through either of my daughter's weddings (should they ever decide to get married) - I even cry at the weddings in films like Mama Mia and The Sound of Music   ::)

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #1625 on: May 23, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
Rosemary, since this is her 2nd marriage, and his too, they are going for "basic".  Only people present will be the couple, his parents and us.
Will be married in their church.  No bridesmaids, groomsmen.  No fol de rol at all.  That is how they wanted it!  And I am more than happy to go along with those plans.  Will be a June wedding.  June is going to be a real killer, hubby birthday is May 31, our anniversary 16th, daughter's birthday June 21, now the wedding on the 11th.  Then we can rest till December!

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1626 on: May 23, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
TOME: glad you and the other parents got on well. When I first met daughter's future inlaws, I vowed that unless they were axe muderers, I was going to like them. Our kids don'rt need the hassle of getting caught between sets of parents. Fortunately, I didn't have to make that effort -- they're very nice.

The rubber hits the road later, when the decision comes  which families holiday traditions the new family will follow. Then later dividing up grandchildren time. So far, the children themselves have made reasonable fair decisions -- no problem.

And of course, where to live. The bride and groom come from opposite sides of the country. SIL very much wanted to live near his family in California. So, after school, that's where they went.

But when I was diagnosed with cancer some years back, the two of them said with one voice "we're moving!". "You can't do that!" I said. "We can't NOT do that!" they said.  Within a week, they and baby were living a few minutes from me in Maryland. I'll never forget that.

A few years later, crisis over, they moved back to California. And now, I've moved to California to be near them. For the first time, they have both sets of parents nearby. So far, we get along fine.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1627 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:37 AM »
Tomereader - that sounds like my kind of wedding.  We were married on the Isle of Mull and the only guests were our parents, my husband's siblings, and my best friend from Ireland.  I really couldn't cope with all the razzamattazz that most weddings seem to involve.  June will clearly be a big month for you!

JoanK - what a great family  you have!  It must be great to be near your daughter, and I'm sure she really appreciated your positive approach to her in-laws.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1628 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »
So nice that you enjoyed meeting your future relatives, TOME. It is so pleasant to think that new relatives will also be new friends.

ROSEMARY, when my son was first married, they were rushed for time and said,  "Don't worry, Mom! We'll take care of anything!" I will only say that the bridesmaids were still hemming their dresses on the drive to the church, and the best man forgot the license and had to go back home for it. Oh, my aching head.  :-[
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1629 on: May 24, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
Our four daughters had four different weddings - between 1978 and 1986.  In the chronological order: 
#3 married with 3 days notice (after a 3-month engagement);
#1 had the most traditional wedding of the day, white dress, bridesmaids, etc.;
#2 married six weeks later, with a much more informal version of the traditional;
#4 eloped.

We all survived, and only one divorce, #4 -the wedding that never should have happened in the first place - and she's blissfully divorced.   Plus John and I have been married for nearly 56 years, and we eloped. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1630 on: May 24, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
MaryZ - how exciting!  Can you tell us a little bit about your elopement?  It sounds so romantic.  

Babi - that sounds like some wedding - I can imagine my youngest having one like that - she has already told her sister that she thinks she had better not have any babies "in case I lose them" - Anna said "do you mean you might have a miscarriage?" - "no", replied Madeleine, "I'm afraid I might put them down somewhere and forget about them....." (she always has been a bit airy-fairy).

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1631 on: May 24, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
Not particularly exciting, Rosemary.  Pregnant at a time (1955) when that "wasn't done", so we went to the office of a justice of the peace and got married.  Sometimes the right things happen for the wrong reasons.  ::)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1632 on: May 24, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
MaryZ - it just shows that some things are meant to be  :)  Congratulations on having had such a good marriage - long may it continue.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #1633 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:12 PM »
Not nearly as long as MaryZ (56), but hubby and I coming up on 50th next month! 

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1634 on: May 24, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Tomereader - More congratulations to you!  Are you planning a big celebration?  We just celebrated my in-laws 50th - they don't like going anywhere, so we got them a hard drive DVD recorder (I think that's what it is!) and had a family party at my sister-in-law's house.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #1635 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
No, big celebration!  Probably a dinner out somewhere.  This hubby also does not like "going anywhere", while the yen for travel eats at my innards!  One of these days.... I want to visit the U.K.: Great Britain, Scotland, Ireland, Wales.

André Maurois

marjifay

« Reply #1636 on: May 24, 2011, 03:12:22 PM »
Tomereader:  My suggestion:  LEAVE HUBBY AT HOME!  Find a friend and travel where you want to go!! One of these days you may find you are too old to travel and you will be so sorry you did not go!

I am so glad I visited so many places around the world with friends as well as in the U.S.  Wonderful memories.

Marj

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1637 on: May 24, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
Tomereader - I agree with Marjifay - my husband likes travelling but will hardly ever tear himself away from work.  I have had wonderful trips with girlfriends, both in the UK and in Europe, and have had a great laugh along the way.

And if you would like to come to Edinburgh, come and visit me!  As we still haven't bought a house, I don't know how big the spare room is going to be, but you'd be welcome to it!  And I have at least worked out where the major sights are now.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1638 on: May 24, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »
Rosemary, we both love to travel, and now that we know where you are, you may find us on your doorstep some day (probably not at least until next year, though).  ::) I'd love to get back to Scotland and the the Orkneys (I have a blogger friend there, too).

roshanarose

« Reply #1639 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Rosemary - What are you going to do when we all arrive at once?  You said that you were married on the Isle of Mull - is your husband Scottish?

Tomereader - Travel alone or with VERY good friends.  I always travel solo.  I say VERY good friends as there is nothing worse than going to your dream destination and friend being grumpy and wanting to go somewhere else.  I have been to Greece on my own twice and met great people whom I would not have met had I been travelling with another person. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato