Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556290 times)

marjifay

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #3360 on: July 14, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
How many of you have read a book,
then watched a movie that was based on that same book?

Were you disappointed?
Or elated that they hadn't made any significant changes?
Or even surprised to discover the movie was even better than the book?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of this very popular subject right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

I read Harlan Coben's Tell No One about 10 years ago.  Very good scary book.  Didn't know there was a movie.  Will add it to my Netflix queue.

Marge

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #3361 on: July 14, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Today I watched the TV Series, RECTIFY, on the AMC channel.  Very interesting program.  Has anyone seen it?  An IMDB reviewer said it was the best show he'd seen since BREAKING BAD.  Since Breaking Bad gets such a high IMDB rating (9.4/10), I've put that on my Netflix queue.

I want to see THE HEAT, currently in theaters.  Stars Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.
One reviewer said "It is a forward stride in women's comedy.  The humor surrounding McCarthy's character did NOT rely on her size for the humor.  Her character could just as easily have been thin or male.  And Sandra Bullock's character could have easily been a man and still been believable and funny."  Has anyone seen it?
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3362 on: July 15, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
I saw it and enjoyed it, but I love Melissa McCarthy. She was wonderful in Bridesmaids and I liked her very much  in Identity Theft, which I just saw on a plane.

I did not realize she is on a TV show, for heaven's sake, I'm going to try to catch it this week.

The language in this one, however, was really something else. It got to the point it was almost gratuitious. I kind of wish they had left it off, it would still have been funny in less amounts.

What did you think of it?
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3363 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
This weekend we saw the first episode of Jane Campion's 'The Top of the Lake' - maybe you have already seen it in the US?  It's set in a remote part of the South Island of New Zealand.  I liked it very much and have been thinking about it a lot since Saturday, which I feel must be one of the marks of a good programme.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #3364 on: July 15, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
Yes, it's already been shown here in U.S.  Sorry, rosemarykaye, I watched only the first episode and gave up on it. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3365 on: July 15, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
I've got Top of the Lake in the queue from Netflix.  I saw some of it on the Sundance Channel.  They just sent the Bletchley series and the House of Cards (the new one), so am going to watch them first.

Have any of you seen the Kevin Spacey House of Cards? I have the original one, on Parliament, with Ian Richardson, which I absolutely loved, he's SOOO evil. I like him, period. He's also in Porterhouse Blue which is definitely "blue," and hilarious, one of my favorite movies of all time, definitely not for those whose feathers are easily ruffled by crass humor,  however. But I like David Jason,  too. Porterhouse and House of Cards were also books.

Spacey's HBO movie is getting rave reviews, Emmy talk, it's not about Parliament, though, it takes place in America.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3366 on: July 15, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
Oh I loved Ian Richardson as the evil evil Francis Urquhart in House of Cards.  A wonderful show. Haven't seen the new version set in America, but it's on my queue and I'm looking forward to it.

I've not heard of Top of the Lake.  The only Jane Campion film I've seen was The Piano, 20 years ago  very bleak.  Will check out the new series when the DVD is released.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3367 on: July 15, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
Oh man! Well the house of cards with Kevin Spacey will soon be available on Netflix I'm sending it back tomorrow. He starts out by choking a dog to death that's been  hit by a car. Not out of kindness.

I did not need to see that. It can't be a spoiler it's in the first two seconds. Still I thought don't  judge it so soon but the acting was bad.   He's always good but the other cast is not.  Particularly the woman who plays his wife.  

Nope, going back in the morning.   I would like to hear from others on it.  I like HBO. I like edgy But that was too much.

But as I was struggling to watch it the mail came  and there was Doc Martin season 1.  Am so enjoying it.

MaryPage

« Reply #3368 on: July 16, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »
I really got into The Top Of The Lake and watched every episode.  It was on the SUNDANCE channel here, and I caught it on On Demand.  I hated the story itself, but loved the beautiful scenery and admired the most excellent acting.  I would grade the whole thing Outstanding, even shrinking from the story.  People really are strange.
I loved Harlan Coben's Tell No One.  The movie was good, but, as usual, they changed a lot and, on the whole, it was not as good as the book.  Well, are they ever?

salan

« Reply #3369 on: July 16, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »
I've been watching Top of the Lake.  It's strange, but interesting.  I have dvr'd episodes and have not watched the season finale.  Will there be a season 2?
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3370 on: July 16, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »
I really like Jane Campion's films. I'm sorry I missed the TV series. I hope it gets rebroadcast. I don't have Netflix and it isn't on demand on my TV. Her interview about tv and film is very interesting. "Television is the new frontier. Film is conservative. I’m sick of it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10105994/Jane-Campion-interview-for-Top-of-the-Lake-The-world-is-focused-on-sexiness.html

Frybabe

« Reply #3371 on: July 17, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »
Ah, now I know why I never heard of Rectify or Top of the Lake; they are both from the Sundance Channel which I no longer get. I'll have to see if Top of the Lake is on one of my Roku channels; I think I saw Rectify there, but I am not as much interested in that one.

salan

« Reply #3372 on: July 17, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
I watched over half of the first episode of Rectify and decided that I didn't care for it; so deleted it.  I am enjoying the new season of Rizzoli & Isles. 
Sally

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3373 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
Marcie, that's an interesting article, the Jane Campion interview.  I don't think I totally agree with her because there are still good films for mature intelligent adults coming out, (Quartet, for example) but TV is doing some good stuff. (And I'm usually about a year late in seeing it -- can't keep up with weekly broadcasts and fall asleep watching anything after 9 pm.)  HBO especially -- I've just finished the first season of THe Newsroom and really liked it.  ANd am looking forward to seeing House of Cards.  I hope I like it better than Ginny did.  ANd I'm watching the DVDs of their John Adams production and liking it too.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3374 on: July 17, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
*Appropos of nothing perhaps, I think the Seniors&Friends site is down this morning.  Any cross-overs here who might encourage the webmaster to check on it?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3375 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »
Seniors and friends seems to be working fine for me. Once in a while it gets a little slow .  Usual when people in the West start entering. Time diff.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3376 on: July 17, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
Well, it didn't work for me for quite awhile, but it is NOW working.  It wouldn't open any of my notifications and that usually makes me think it is "down".

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3377 on: July 17, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
I enjoyed the first episode of Season 2 for Newsroom. It's very well written and the actors are excellent.

MaryPage

« Reply #3378 on: July 18, 2013, 07:24:37 AM »
Just finished reading an interesting story in the August issue of Vanity Fair about how Harper Lee's longtime agent stole her copyright.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3379 on: July 22, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
My "movie friend" and I usually go to the actual theatre and catch something new and interesting.  However, the summer fare, being what it is (horror, sci-fi/action/blow 'em up, shoot 'em up) we have decided just to enjoy some of our favorites on DVD.  I have several that she has not seen.  Two weeks ago we viewed "Birdsong" which was a PBS presentation. "Sebastian Faulks' epic lovestory set against the backdrop of WWI" (cover notes). The film has gorgeous cinematography, story is well done (in flash backs),  several scenes of graphic sexual content, and some gory war footage (minimal).  My friend was very impressed with the film as a whole, and coming from her (she's a movie reviewer here) that was high praise.
Last week's movie was "Possession" based on a book by A.S. Byatt.  Beautifully filmed, exquisitely acted by Gwyneth Paltrow, Aaron Eckhart, Jeremy Northram.  A dual love story, a mystery of sorts where the two scholarly researchers delve into a suspected romance between two Victorian poets, and the modern day dialogue is awash in humor! (I highly recommend this one!)

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3380 on: July 23, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »
We discussed  the book on which "Possession" is based some years ago. An interesting many-layered book.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3381 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
I now have watched Peter Ustinov in Death on the Nile, and despite the stellar cast, did not care for it. I now remember why I don't like Peter Ustinov as Poirot, but it was fun to see James Mason, etc., along for the ride.

Am besotted with Doc Martin. I'll sit down to watch one and find myself watching three, am in Season 4 now and will really be sorry when they are over. Love it!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3382 on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »
I love the Dr. martin series.  I just cant remember the Number for the last one. Was it No. 4.  I know the new one just started.  Will have to wait for the library to get the DVD.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3383 on: July 25, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
It looks like I watched Series No. 5  on Dr. Martin. as it shows the library owning.  Now will need No. 6. I believe there will be eight.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3384 on: July 25, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »
You know a series is good when you sit riveted to the set thru all of Series 4 and end up clapping at the ending. :) All by yourself. :)

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3385 on: July 25, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
I will watch Series 5 again just to catch up as to what will happen in Series 6. Don't have the best of memories anymore.  I still need to know what number I last watched for Mad Men and same with Army Wives.  I think I am waiting for Series 6 on that one.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3386 on: July 27, 2013, 12:38:18 AM »
You all have me potentially hooked. I just ordered Doc Martin, Season 1, from our library  :)

I haven't seen any of the episodes yet.

salan

« Reply #3387 on: July 27, 2013, 02:55:10 AM »
You will love it, Marcie.  It's one of my favorites!
Sally

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3388 on: July 27, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
Marcie.

You will get hooked on them.  Just get 2 at a time or you will be staying up nights.. Each one is about 3 hours and you have 5 to go.  Lucky you.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3389 on: July 27, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »
I'm excited. I just picked up the season 1 DVDs. If you don't see me around for a while, you'll know why :-)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3390 on: July 27, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
 :D Come in and share a laugh with us once in a while.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3391 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
Well, I've seen the two "prequel" Doc Martins, so I guess it's time to start watching Season one, everyone giving it such raves.

It's really getting complicated trying to watch different series. I just finished disc 1 of the new House of Cards series. No one here has been praising it, but I'm a political junkie, so will try the next disc. I keep wondering if anyone will get thrown off a roof, as did happen in the British version.

And sometime soon I want to work in Lark, Rise to Candleford -- 14 discs, not to mention my own seven seasons of West Wing -- 40 some discs.

It's a good thing my friends keep me on the straight and narrow path to single disc films. Over the weekend we watched The Sessions with John Hawkes and Helen Hunt, about a man who has spent his entire life in an iron lung and wishes to experience sex before he dies.  Extremely well done. Recommended.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3392 on: July 29, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
We've watched a few episodes of House of Cards.  I pretty much liked it, but John didn't.  We watch it streaming, so I may go back and watch a few more of them.  Not very nice people, are they?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3393 on: July 29, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
It looks to me as if the Movie  Doc Martins are completely different as some of  you have mentioned. The plot is different, he's a smoker, he's divorced, he just happens or something on Portwenn, it's really different and a little offputting but I want to see them anyway.

Have started Season 5 of the TV show Doc Martin to which I am hopelessly addicted and for a while there I didn't know where I was, I had put the wrong disk in and couldn't take in the changes! hahahaa

The good thing is that Phillipa (?) Braithwaite, the Producer, is married to Martin Clunes, and they own the production company, so I think we're in for a Doc Martin treat for a good long time or as long as they care to keep making it.

He looks so different in "real life." He's a horseman or she is,  and they have lots of dogs and horses. :)

Winchesterlady

« Reply #3394 on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
After reading all the good comments on Doc Martin, I was happy to find the first five seasons on Netflix.  Am looking forward to watching them.
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3395 on: July 30, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »
Can't wait to hear your reaction, and Marcie's! I can't seem to stop watching them, I sit down and promise myself ONE tonight and before you know it the entire disk is gone, and they need to be savored because when they're gone, they're gone. :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3396 on: July 30, 2013, 09:13:34 AM »
Pedln, I know you saw House of Cards up for major Emmy's, so you're enjoying it? It's hard to beat Kevin Spacey, how does he compare to Francis Urquhart

marjifay

« Reply #3397 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
I haven't watched Doc Martin.  Will have to look into it, as so many seem to enjoy it.

My Flavorwire newsletter just listed 8 of the best British TV mini-series dramas.  I've listed them below along with their IMDB ratings.  Any opinions on any of these? I've not seen any of them.

DOCTOR WHO  (8.7/10)
SPOOKS  (aka M15)  (7.8/10)
LUTHER  (8.5/10)
SKINS   (8/10)
LIFE ON MARS  (8.2/10)
SHERLOCK   (9.2/10
SHAMELESS   (8.4/10)
THE HOUR   (7.3/10)

Marge

MaryPage

« Reply #3398 on: July 30, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
I watched and enjoyed the first season of THE HOUR, but then started the second season and hated it, so quit and never went back.
I have been raving about Doc Martin from the git go.  Have seen every episode three or four times each.
But I do like the last ones best.  He is simply a stitch with that baby!  I wish so much for some more to come along to watch.  I think it is six seasons I have seen.

Frybabe

« Reply #3399 on: July 30, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
I watched quite a few, if not all of Doc Martin up until the wedding but decided I didn't really care for him that much. Some of the supporting characters were fun though.