Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 558763 times)

MaryPage

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #800 on: August 21, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »

So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Pedln, I will never forget Scott Thomas in THE ENGLISH PATIENT.  Wow!

You will love the movie The Girl Who Played With Fire.  They changed the end a little bit, but, substance-wise, it does not make all that much difference.  Really, no difference.  My daughter and I were disappointed they never let her mutter to herself, on the 2 occasions portrayed in the movie where she did it in the book, "Kalle ****ing Blomquist."  Debi and I both got a kick out of her doing that, and no, we are NOT potty mouths, but she was a woman-in-love feeling rejected by this man and trying to escape having him in her life;  so every time he pops up and comes, as it were, to her rescue, she mutters that until, really, it got to be funny.  I think Steig Larsson truly captured what her mind processes would have been, and I think he had a great sense of humor.

I think it is Elizabeth Gilbert's memoire, Eat, Pray, Love.  And I have read all of Harlan Coben's books and seen all of the movies made from them so far.  Expect there will be more!

Frybabe, TELL NO ONE came out a couple of years ago or more.  You will need to rent the DVD or something, as I very much doubt it will be back in the theatres.  I loved the book, as well.  The movie was extremely well done, but, as always, changed a bit.

Tomereader1

« Reply #801 on: August 21, 2010, 12:55:38 PM »
Kristin Scott Thomas is fabulous in almost anything she appears in.  Obviously she is very selective of her roles. Mary Page, the English Patient was fantastic!  One movie I enjoyed MORE than the book. 
And another movie she was in, probably not your type of thing, with Harrison Ford, "Random Hearts".  She did a great job in that also, as did Harrison Ford.  (Strange not to see him in something that was not an action movie, like Raiders...)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #802 on: August 21, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »
pedln - I am a Kristin Scott Thomas fan too.  I came out of the movie "I've Loved You for So Long" in tears.  Very emotional for me as it reflected some events I had experienced.  I saw KST recently in "Nowhere Boy" a movie about John Lennon as a boy - before he became famous.  KST plays his aunt.  She is wonderful in it.  But my all-time favourite is "The English Patient" in which she co-starred with my all time favourite man, Ralph Fiennes.  I was in Heaven seeing them act together.   

Last night I bought a newly purchased video "The Lion in Winter", a movie I had loved as a youngster.  Sublime acting by Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor of Aquitane, although I think Peter O'Toole overacted just a wee bit.  I had been on the trail of this DVD for a while.  It was worth waiting for. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

roshanarose

« Reply #803 on: August 21, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »
Coincidence - I think we must all have posted about KST and "The English Patient at the same time. :)
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Gumtree

« Reply #804 on: August 22, 2010, 02:22:31 AM »
Kristin Scott Thomas seems to be a universal favourite - she crops up  unexpectedly at times. Another film she was in was Four Weddings and a Funeral with Hugh Grant et al. I liked her in English Patient but preferred the book to the film.

Roshanarose - I loved that Lion in Winter too. Didn't think O'Toole overacted though it's been quite a while since I saw it. Hepburn was superb.

Watched Da Vinci Code on TV - what a hoot.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #805 on: August 22, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »
  I read "Eat, Pray, Love" and was curious as to what the movie might be
like. The book I wouldn't call 'fluff'. It was a very personal exploration
by a woman determined to find stable ground for her life. It took her down
some surprising..to me..roads. Not something I really expect Hollywood to
do well, tho' they can when they try.

ROSE, it seems to me Peter O'Toole has always come across as somewhat
larger than life.  In some roles that works beautifully; in others it doesn't do as well.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Gumtree

« Reply #806 on: August 22, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
I think Peter OToole's best role was as Lawrence of Arabia - he was also good in comedy and rather suave in How to Steal a Million with Audrey Hepburn

Frybabe

« Reply #807 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Don't forget Lord Jim. I only watched that movie once. At the time, I thought the movie a bit "dark" and I didn't like the ending. Never read the book.

Oh, and Becket.

Having read Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdon, The Mint, and his letters to Robert Graves, I would have to say that O'Toole did a suberb job of getting the essence of the man. It didn't hurt to have a suberb cast, exceptional direction, and that scenery.

I never cared for O'Toole's comedies though.

Tomereader1

« Reply #808 on: August 22, 2010, 01:59:16 PM »
Loved "Becket"  !!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #809 on: August 22, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Me, too!

roshanarose

« Reply #810 on: August 22, 2010, 10:23:48 PM »
I sat up to way past the witching hour last week to watch again "Anne of the Thousand Days".  Genevieve Bujold convinced me that she WAS Anne Boleyn and no other actor since has convinced me otherwise.  Richard Burton as Henry was also convincing.  Definitely an oldie but a goodie.  Now on the trail of "Becket".  Magnificent movie.

Somehow our own Eric Bana did not convey Henry VIII's complexity to me, although I enjoyed Natalie Portman as Anne in "The Other Boleyn Girl".  I always see Eric kitted out as Hector from "Troy".  He was very desirable in that film.  I loved the way he wore his hair.  Quite authentic, according to the Homeric styles of that age.

MaryPage

« Reply #811 on: August 23, 2010, 06:25:13 AM »
It was Scarlett Johansson who most impressed me in The Other Boleyn Girl.

Babi

« Reply #812 on: August 24, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »
 I don't recall if I saw 'Beckett', though it's definitely the kind of movie I
would have tried to see.  And 'Hector' was my favorite person in 'Troy'.
I hated it when he died; his character was the best of the lot.
  I think I'll go see if Netflix has Beckett.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

roshanarose

« Reply #813 on: August 24, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »
babi - Eric Bana is the new Anthony Quinn for movies.  His colouring and looks mean he can play anything from an Ancient Trojan to an agent for Mossad.  His ancestry is actually Croatian / German.  He started out on Australian TV as a comedian. He was good at that too.  He also played a famous Australian criminal, he put on about 15 kilos for the role and had a permanent five o'clock shadow and tats.  He was so convincing.  A very versatile actor.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #814 on: August 24, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
I saw Eat, Pray and Love this afternoon.  I'd read the book (I think) a number of years ago, but honestly don't remember it.  I did like the movie, though - Julia Roberts and Javier Bardem...what's not to like?!?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #815 on: August 25, 2010, 08:55:39 AM »
 I love finding a truly versatile actor, ROSE.  They are convincing, no matter what they undertake.
 Russell Crowe seems to be another who can adapt convincingly to any role.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #816 on: August 25, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
Russell Crowe was pretty good as Jack Aubrey in "Master and Commander". Not perfect, but with a book character that has as many devoted fans as that one does, it's impossible to please everyone. It's like trying to play Miss Marple.

roshanarose

« Reply #817 on: August 25, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
Russell's first big movie role in Australia was as a white supremacist/Nazi lover called Hendo.  It is evidently the movie that brought him to the attention of Sharon Stone.  He went to Hollywood at her bidding and became a star.  The movie I mentioned above is called "Romper Stomper" and Russell's acting ability is more than evident.  Warning:  if you want to see the movie be prepared for extreme violence and very adult themes.  Russell is so convincing it is a bit scary.   

Gumtree

« Reply #818 on: August 26, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »
Yes, I remember Romper Stomper - it took me by surprise but I was glad to have seen it - my son was 'gob-smacked' to know we saw it - I think he thought we were a bit too 'young'  Crowe was brilliant - but then he often  almost always is and he has a wide range - Jack Aubrey has been mentioned but think of  the mathematician John Nash in A Brilliant Mind - then there's the reporter in State of Play - Gladiator Robin Hood and one of his early ones The Sum of Us where he played the gay son of true blue Aussie character played by Jack Thompson.

Just for the record Russell Crowe is only Australian by adoption - he was born in New Zealand. He's football mad and I think he still owns one of the Sydney rugby clubs which he took from down and out (in every way) to near top of the ladder. He did it with psychology and money.

roshanarose

« Reply #819 on: August 26, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Gum - In a "Brilliant Mind", Russell is, well, brilliant.  It is my favourite movie of his.  The football team he bought with financial support from Holmes a Court is the Rabbitohs.  I am not a fan of Australian football codes, I much prefer soccer.  Gum - I hope your eyes are working better for you.

mabel1015j

« Reply #820 on: August 26, 2010, 03:11:40 PM »
I posted this in "the library" site, tho't some of you might like it also:

Steph, you mention our "teen-age reading," the first tho'ts that come to mind EVERY time i think of my teen-age reading was that i got hooked on sev'l fiction books w/ stories around Josephine and Napoleon. I guess because there were a couple of movies about them around that time (50's).

In fact, much of my reading came to books i read after seeing a movie - Battle Cry, Caine Mutiny, Man With the Golden Arm, some Mitchner books, and then of course, i would read other books by the same authors - Marjorie Morningstar and other Herman Woulk books, Frank Yerby books, Irving Stone books, Costain, John O'Hara (from the terrace - another great Paul Newman drama), etc. etc......there seem to be far fewer movies produced from popular fiction these days - or am i just not paying attention as closely?
...............jean

roshanarose

« Reply #821 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Mistake alert:  Sorry all.  In my last post I meant "Beautiful Mind".

Gumtree

« Reply #822 on: August 27, 2010, 03:15:50 AM »
Roshanarose That's OK  - we knew what you meant.

Thanks for asking about my eye problem. It's improving but treatment is to continue for several more weeks. My ophthalmology guy and I are joined at the hip for the present.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #823 on: August 28, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Just been reading thru these --don't often because I find peoples' opinions are SO individual that unless you know the person what they think means nothing in terms of what you might think--same goes for all these individual reviews for anything from cars to hairspray on the internet.  ANYWAY, case in point....I agree Peter O'Toole pretty much always overacts ( but SO handsome when young) but so does Katherine Hepburn!!  Can't watch the woman as I always feel she's such a phoney, sends shivers up my spine.  Yet, obviously so many people think she's great.
I agree about the Swedish movie of Girl with the dragon tattoo--good movie.  Am very slowly reading book 2, trying to savour it and not finish too soon--difficult, but I reward myself with a chapter (or so) a day....nuts....

CallieOK

« Reply #824 on: August 28, 2010, 03:32:45 PM »
The movie "The Time Traveler's Wife" is on HBO tonight - 7:00 - 9:00 Central Daylight Time. 

I've read the book and will be interested in seeing how the movie handles the "back and forthing" of the book plot.

Last night, I watched "The Heiress" with Olivia deHaviland and Montgomery Clift.  I'm sure I've seen it before but this time, I was truly aware of how she even changed the pitch of her voice after M.C. deserted her.  Very fine acting, IMO.  No wonder she won an Academy Award.

Babi

« Reply #825 on: August 29, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
I hope you and your opthalmology guy are compatible, GUM.  8)

I can't agree about Katherine Hepburn, DANA. I can't think of a single
instance of what I would consider overacting. Are you aware she suffered
from Parkinson's during the last years of her career? It caused her
movements to be tremulous, and she wore high collars to conceal her
neck support, but she continued to act. I thought she was terrific.

marjifay

« Reply #826 on: August 29, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »
THE HEIRESS was one of my all-time favorite films.

I never cared much for Kathryn Hepburn's films.  The only one I liked was AFRICAN QUEEN.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #827 on: August 30, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
 Did either of you see the Katherine Hepburn-Spencer Tracy films?  I don't
think I missed a one.  They are classics.

roshanarose

« Reply #828 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »
Upon reacquainting myself with Katherine Hepburn in "The Lion in Winter" what stood out for me with her acting was her eyes.  Her skin so luminous, her eyes reflecting hatred and passion in equal measure during her dialogues with Henry.  One moment her eyes were those of a panther ready to pounce and devour; the next her eyes were those of a smitten maiden as she remembered her love and lust for Henry.  I had seen The Lion in Winter when I was relatively young and inexperienced.  As an older woman I could appreciate her courage, her passion and ultimately her helplessness in the role of Eleanor of Aquitane.  Not easily forgotten. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #829 on: August 30, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
I very much enjoyed all of the Heburn-Tracy films. I think that they were equally matched in all respects.

marjifay

« Reply #830 on: August 30, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »
Oh, I forgot how good Hepburn was in Lion in Winter.  I just didn't care much for her comedies including the ones with Spencer Tracy.  I preferrered both of them in dramas.  About the only Tracy film I liked was Judment at Nuremberg.

Guess my taste in comedy was more the Marx Brothers kind, and later, Woody Allen.  Tried to think of some of the other older comedies I really liked and could only think of Born Yesterday, Young Frankenstein, Dr. Strangelove, and Blazing Saddles.  I didn't care for Charlie Chaplan but liked Jack Benny's films.

Oh well, be a boring world, as they say, if everyone like the same stuff.

Saw the last hour of the Emmy Awards.  The only program I'd seen that won an award was Mad Men. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Gumtree

« Reply #831 on: August 30, 2010, 01:29:38 PM »
I think the Hepburn Tracy comedies show their age these days. Spencer was always Spencer but I did like them in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Tracy was brilliant in Inherit the Wind with Frederic March - another of my favourite all time actors

joyous

« Reply #832 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »

I am glad that someone mentioned the Emmys of last night. I think that I have not seen a single one that won.  Seems like HBO puts on the best,and I am not registered for HBO.  I thought the emcee was, to say the least, NOT entertaining.  Your opinions, please.
JOY

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #833 on: August 30, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »
Did Hepburn have Parkinsons? I saw an interview with her when she was older. Her head was shaking badly. The interviewer was staring at her, but didn't say anything. She looked at him and said "Don't worry: it's not going to fall off."

She went on to say that it wasn't Parkinsons. I don't know if that's true or not.

MaryPage

« Reply #834 on: August 30, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
The only regular show that I EVER watch is THE CLOSER on TNT.  At least, I think it is TNT.  I am not very good at all these initials, and do not keep my TV Guide here in my den/computer room.

I am nutz about Kyra Sedgewick, which is why I started watching THE CLOSER 5 years ago, and got hooked on the fun & crazy murders.  For those who do not know, Kyra, one of Hollywood's most underrated yet best actresses, married to Kevin Baker, and who looks like she could be related to Julia Roberts, whose sister she played once in a regular film, plays the Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department Major Crimes (i.e. murders) Unit, and she is famous for managing to "close" every case, thus the name she has earned:  "The Closer."  It is a highly addictive series, and I have watched every episode and purchased every season on DVD so as to see them again and again.

Well, I was watching Masterpiece Murder Theatre on PBS last night, a Lewis murder with great actors in it, when the phone next to my easy chair rang and I was really annoyed.  Saw it was my Missouri daughter, so picked it up.  She knew exactly where I would be on my telly, so she ever so quickly raced through:  "Kyra Sedgewick just won an Emmy for The Closer."  So I switched over just long enough to hear her acceptance speech and then back to my own show.

If you have, indeed, never seen THE CLOSER, you have missed a lot of fun.

Tomereader1

« Reply #835 on: August 30, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
Kyra is married to Kevin Bacon.

If any of you have never seen "Temple Grandin", do try to find it on Netflix.  I watched it on HBO, and the two female leads deserved their awards.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #836 on: August 30, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
I watch "The Closer" every week. I'm glad she won an Emmy!

marjifay

« Reply #837 on: August 30, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
Joyous said, "I think that I have not seen a single one that won.  Seems like HBO puts on the best,and I am not registered for HBO.  I thought the emcee was, to say the least, NOT entertaining.  Your opinions, please."

I didn't watch long enough to have an opinion on the emcee.  Those shows are usually pretty boring, especially since I don't watch much TV.  I just read the newspaper to find the winners.

But you can get all the shows on Netflix.  I have a couple I want to get -- All Pacino in "You Don't Know Jack" (about Jack Kevorkian), The Closer, Breaking Bad, and Hamlet.  I do watch Mad Men -- fascinated with it.  My one and only  crime show I watch and really like didn't even get nominated -- NCIS-- I love the subtle humor, and the acting is really good, especially David McCallum who plays the medical examiner and starred in "The Man from Uncle" series in 1964..he's an old man now (my age).   

Marj

Marj

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #838 on: August 30, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
JoanK, it's not Parkinson's.  I saw an article recently (Dr. Gott) -- I think it's called tremor something. Two people from my church have it or something similar. One, a woman, her head shakes frequently.  The other, a man, it's only in his hands.  But you should see him carry two cups of coffee, not spilling a drop.  Unbelievable.

MaryPage, where in Missouri does  your daughter live?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #839 on: August 31, 2010, 01:52:59 AM »
Tomereader, I too watched the film about Temple Grandin and thought it was amazing. See more about Temple at http://www.templegrandin.com/