Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 554597 times)

marjifay

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1760 on: July 07, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

I watched Gaslight on the Turner Movie Channel last night.  Didn't realize there were more than one in the 1940s.  I prefer the one with Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman, and Angela Lansbury as the devious little maid.  (altho I don't care much for Bergman).

Also watched The Spiral Staircase with Dorothy McGuire, Ethel Barrymore and the great Elsa Lanchester.  Very good.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1761 on: July 07, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
I just read the Mary Roberts Rinehart book by that name (the Spiral Staitcase). Is the movie based on that?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1762 on: July 08, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »
Marj, I too didn't realize that there was another Gaslight film, a previous one, filmed in England in 1940. Wikipedia says that the first one adhered more closely to the original play on which both film versions were based.

Have you seen the original Gaslight? It was released in the U.S. with the title, Angel Street. It looks like it is available online at no cost from the Internet Archive nonprofit organization at http://www.archive.org/details/Gaslight_1940. I haven't seen that one.

I have seen the version of Gaslight with Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman. I read that it was 18-year-old Angela Lansbury's first role. She always looked older than she was, until her later years, when she looked younger!

Babi

« Reply #1763 on: July 08, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
 Oh, yes, JOAN.  The movie was based on the Rhinehart book.  Talk about oldies!  'Gaslight' is almost as old as I am; I suspect 'Spiral Staircase' is, too.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #1764 on: July 08, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
Isn't the Rinehart book called "The Circular Staircase?"  According to the Internet Movie Database, the film The Spiral Staircase was based on a novel by Ethel Lina White.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #1765 on: July 09, 2011, 08:58:56 AM »
 Well, this is  confusing. I've always associated the book, "The
Spiral Staircase', with Rhinehart. According to one note I'm looking at,
a movie of that name was made based on a novel "Some Must Watch", by Ethel
Lina White. I don't find that a movie was ever made from Rhinehart's book.
Obviously, way back when, the movie was advertised and I immediately confused it with
the book.  Pity.  The Rhinehart story could have made an excellent film, IMO.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1766 on: July 09, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
What an interesting discussion, and it has sent me searching -- both before and after getting my Gaslights mixed up with the Spiral Staircase.  Here's my take

The Circular Staircase  by Mary Roberts Rinehart -- available free from the Gutenberg project. Written in 1908 -- about a murder and a bank failure.

The Spiral Staircase  based on Ethel Lina White's novel Some Must Watch -- about a serial murderer who is killing girls with disabilities.  Book is vailable on Kindle for $5.00, the paperback will cost you $85.89.

Anyway, it's always great to have such good film and book recommendations.

The film Gaslight is based on Patrick Hamilton's play.  Hamilton is a British playwrite and novelist.  He also wrote Rope, which Alfred Hitchcock's film is based on.  Seen any good Hitchcock's lately?  Did you see Hitchcock?    ;)

marjifay

« Reply #1767 on: July 10, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »
I'll have to read Rinehart's The Circular Staircase, as I know many liked her mysteries.  However, the only one I've read, The Yellow Room, was so bad, I trashed it.

I recently watched the Hitchcock film Strangers on a Train, one of my favorities, with Robert Walker and Farley Granger.  It also has Hitchcock's daughter, Patricia in a small, but good role.  Another of my favorite Hitchcock films is Rope, also with Farley Granger.

Marj

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1768 on: July 10, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »
Last night we watched "The Queen" for the second time.  Helen Mirren really is a genius actor, I started to think I was watching HRH herself.  Also for the first time I saw the DVD "extras" (because, need I tell you, I didn't know they existed until my daughter showed me...), - fascinating interviews with Michael Sheen, whose portrayal of Tony Blair was also utterly convincing, Sylvia Sims (what a brilliant Queen Mother!), and the director, Stephen Frears.

It seems such a long time now since Diana died.  My elder daughter was 2 at the time - she is 16 now! - and for my younger one this is ancient history, ie it did not happen in her lifetime.

Excellent film.

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1769 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16:46 PM »
Rosemary, I agree, Mirren's performance is superb, and it's a great film.  Goodness! It has been a while.

roshanarose

« Reply #1770 on: July 10, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »
pedln said : The Spiral Staircase  based on Ethel Lina White's novel Some Must Watch -- about a serial murderer who is killing girls with disabilities.  Book is vailable on Kindle for $5.00, the paperback will cost you $85.89.

Did I read that right, pedln?  That's the most expensive paperback I have heard of..... :o
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1771 on: July 11, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
You know, I really liked Rhinehart when I was young.  But as I reached a more critical age, it seemed to me her mysteries were predictable in one sense. The good guys were consistently upper class, and the murderer was the class equivalent of the butler.

I didn't know Hitchcock had a daughter who was an actress, MARJ. Or was that  like one of his own cameos, inserted for the fun of it?

ROSHANA, with all due respect to Plato, after considering his question
for some time, I am forced to conclude that some things are so self-evident
they require no proof.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1772 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »
I remember reading Rinehart back in the '60s.  Had no idea that Circular Staircase was published in 1908.  We were living in Puerto Rico then desperate for all kinds of books written in English.  Our church library helped fill the gap, as members started donating their paperbacks.

I love any film with Hellen Mirren.  What's that series she did for PBS -- as Jane Tenneman.  I think I still ahve some on tape somewhere.

The other day I picked up a Dorothy Sayles DVD at the library -- three books with Peter Wimsey (Ian Carmichael)  -- Murder with Advertising (still have to watch pt. 4), Nine Taylors (have read, but never seen) and I don't remember the last title.  So far, so good.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1773 on: July 11, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
You'll like "The Nine Tailors".  It's a super job.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1774 on: July 11, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
Pedln, I agree with PatH. I enjoyed the PBS Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey episodes with Ian Carmichael. It took a while for me to get used to Edward Petherbridge when he took over the role.

One of Lord Peter's cars is a 12-cylinder ("double-six") 1927 Daimler four-seater, which (like all his cars) he calls "Mrs. Merdle" after a character in Little Dorrit (by Charles Dickens) who "hated fuss". See a photo at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DaimlerDoubleSixCorsicaCoupe.JPG

marjifay

« Reply #1775 on: July 11, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
Yes, Babi, according to Internet Movie Database, it's Hitchcock's daughter.  (She was also in Psycho)   It says she was 23 when Strangers on a Train was made in 1951, but looks like a teenager.  Have you seen the film?  Very good, based on Patricia Highsmith's novel.

I agree with you, Rosemary, that Helen Mirren is so good in The Queeen you believe you're watching the real Queen Elizabeth.  I see she played Harrison Ford's wife in The Mosquito Coast.  I liked that film and have meant to read the novel by Paul Theroux.  Have you seen her in The Comfort of Strangers?  From the novel by Ian McEwan, one of my favorite authors.  But, that film is dark, not for you if you only like cozy mysteries!  But gorgeous photography of Venice.

Marge

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1776 on: July 11, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
Marjifay - no, haven't seen either of those films and have never even seen a complete episode of Prime Suspect!  I saw Mirren in Calendar Girls and Gosford Park, and have always admired her - she is such an independent, sensible woman as well as a brilliant actress.  I also read about her campaign to get shops to stock dresses with sleeves - she rose even further in my estimation after that!

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #1777 on: July 11, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
Babi - I am glad you see clearly now and can perhaps divorce yourself from Plato.  As for me, it is not so simple.  Examples:  Sometimes while I am asleep, or nearly asleep, my cat nips me to try to wake me up, not bites, just tiny little nips.  There is usually a mark there when I check my arms in the morning.  Two mornings ago I was dreaming and felt the nip quite keenly, it was a bigger nip than usual.  I looked in the mirror, there was no sign of a mark.  Another time, I was in a deep sleep but felt something move in the palm of my hand which was semi-clenched into a fist.  I woke up with a start and there in my palm was a big, black spider, just regarding me.  I threw it onto the bed.  I then checked to get rid of it.  It wasn't there.  So now you know why I like ambiguity.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

roshanarose

« Reply #1778 on: July 11, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »
Marcie - I am a bit of a car freak and that Daimler is something else.  You would need an engine as big as a V12 to move the darn thing.  Wheels the biggest I have seen on a car.  Absolutely gorgeous.

Two of my favourites are both Jaguars : The legendary E Type (6 cyl and 12 cyl) and the XJS (12 cylinder).  Dream cars.

Frybabe

« Reply #1779 on: July 11, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »
Oh, no! Groan! Dallas will be back in the Summer of 2012. TNT has started advertising it already. Give me a break.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1780 on: July 11, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »
I just saw that commercial, Frybabe!  And they've even resurrected the old cast.  At least these old folks are getting some work.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1781 on: July 12, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »
roshanarose, I love the look of Jaguars too. I think that Inspector Morse drove one.

Gumtree

« Reply #1782 on: July 12, 2011, 04:22:43 AM »
I always say that if a car has four wheels and actually goes it's good enough for me - but I do like a good comfortable leather interior and an almost noiseless engine - sleek lines and a perfect duco help too!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #1783 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »
ROSE, I do understand.  More than once I have been wakened when the bed jerked
and thought one of the cats had gotten into the room. Nope, no cat. It's hard
sometimes to make a quick, clear transition from sleep to full awareness.

I'm with you, GUM.  For me a car has simply been transportation.  There was one car I
fell in love with, a Studebaker in a color like butterscotch fudge that simply seemed to fit me
as though it was custom made.  I loved it.  Unfortunately, my husband took it upon himself
to sell it without informing me.  He also...     Never mind.  No point in going there. :-X

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1784 on: July 12, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
BABI: it must have worked better than ouir old Studebaker: we couldn't go around the corner without it breaking down.

I'd love to see a movie of "The Nine Taylors" and actually HEAR the bells that they re talking about.

roshanarose

« Reply #1785 on: July 12, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
Marcie - FYI Morse's beautiful Jaguar is a 1960 Mark 2.  I am guessing it has eight cylinders rather than 12 but I am not sure.

www.morsejaguar.co.uk

Gum - the car you just described it the epitome of Jagism  :D

Babi and JoanK - I always admired the Studebaker Hawk.  Wanted a 1964 Ford Mustang badly.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1786 on: July 13, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
Thanks for that photo of Morse's jaguar, roshanarose. It's a beauty. I know nothing about cars and have always bought used inexpensive ones but I love to see "real" jaguars (those with that lovely jaguar hood ornament) on the road.

Gumtree

« Reply #1787 on: July 13, 2011, 04:41:28 AM »
Roshanarose Yes Jags are nice - though a bit low to the ground for this old lady. DH has always favoured BIG cars - I was broken in with a Humber Super Snipe - beautiful car - roomy, superb upholstery - had it for years - looking back it seems that nothing ever went wrong with it - great to drive - could powerslide on gravel. These days it's a now aging Beamer.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1788 on: July 13, 2011, 05:07:32 AM »
When my children were younger we lived out in the country and had an ancient Landrover Defender whose rear door flew open at random moments just to add fun to any journey.  The windscreen had no heater and I used to pour a kettle of hot water over it every winter morning.  Rain came through everywhere, not least on your foot when you pressed the accelerator.  My children loved that car!

Now we are about to move back to the country and are thinking of changing our current car - a Chrysler PT Cruiser- for another Landy, though this time it would probably be a rather more sedate Freelander.  Unless anyone else can suggest any other good 4 x 4s that are not too big (friend has top of the range enormous Audi - I do not want anything like that!)

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1789 on: July 13, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
  You're moving back to the country, ROSEMARY?   Do bring us up to date.  We've
been following your house search with the interest of those who've 'been there'.
It was so much easier 40 years ago!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1790 on: July 13, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »
Babi - we have had an offer accepted on a house in a very small village in East Lothian, which is the countryside to the east of Edinburgh, between Edinburgh and North Berwick if you look at a map.  The house itself is only 9 years old, it is part of a small steading development next to a farm.  It is about 5 miles from some larger villages/towns.  However, nothing has been concluded so far as the title deeds appear to be defective!  I just don't know how I always seem to hit on problem properties - I thought this one would be OK as it is relatively new.  Our solicitor in Edinburgh is endeavouring to sort it out, but she is not getting much help from the other side so far.  So we live in hope!  I'll keep you posted!  thanks for your interest.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #1791 on: July 13, 2011, 11:06:35 AM »
Rosemary - I can easily imagine you as lady of the manor and challenging drivers of smaller cars for your portion of the road.  Long may you reign.  But beware of hat drivers whose feet barely reach the pedals.  Great news that you may soon be settled.  I can sympathise with you about title deed problems.  Believe me you are not the only one who has struck this problem which seems to be universal.  The buyers of our last house found some sort of problem regarding a catchment (or something like that) on our property.  They wanted $5000 off the price because of it.  My SIL told us to just wait it out, in other words call their bluff.  Fortunately, their desire for the house was greater than their greed, and they went ahead with the sale regardless, but it was very stressful.  The Real Estate agent was to blame.

Gumtree - Yes I remember the Humber Super Snipe, big brother to the Hillman.  The majority of solicitors in my hometown each had one, in the 60s as I recall.  My daughter  and SIL just bought a new Beamer and although extremely smooth etc. it is extremely small imho.  Five people do not fit into it, it is made to fit just four.  Bavarians seem to be shrinking.  I agree that low cars can be a problem, and it can be very embarassing.  One of my favourite Top Gear episodes devotes itself to the boys driving their supercars into Paris, and one of them getting stuck in a rather deep driveway in a very busy Parisian street.  Classic!  I don't watch it any more, it seems to have "done its run" so to speak.

Babi

« Reply #1792 on: July 14, 2011, 08:17:11 AM »
 Isn't it frustrating, ROSEMARY?   My own small tale of woe.  After I bought this place, in due
time, a tax bill arrived that absolutely floored me.  The previous owner had not paid his taxes in
years!  Having not collected from him,  the city/county now wished to collect his taxes from me!
I checked, and the title company stated there had been no tax lien on the property when I
bought it.  So I spent the next few years adamantly insisting I did not owe those taxes.  Even
the description of the property on the bill was wrong!
 As it turns out, any taxes not collected within ten years lapse.  It took me ten years of saying
"You're wrong", but I got there.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1793 on: July 14, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
That's awful Babi - and particularly wrong that the tax people should try to intimidate you into paying  well done you for standing your ground.  I'm sure a lot of older people would have just paid up in a panic - I know my mother would.  Debt is such an alien concept to their generation that even when it's not actually theirs they worry about it.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1794 on: July 15, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
 Thanks, ROSEMARY.  I was fortunate that one young man working for the county quietly took
my side and gave me the information about the expiration date and encouraged me to continue
the resistance.
 I do hate debt.  There was a blissful period when I actually got out from under
ALL of it, but of course new emergencies do come up when there's no place else to find the funds. Even so,  my debts are way below what appears to be the norm.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1795 on: July 15, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
Rosemary, I hope everything works out and gets settled soon for your home in the country. Living in limbo -- "yes it will, no it won't, etc." is frustrating and takes its toll.

Netflixers -- what do you think of Netflix's new game plan?  There sure has been a lot of hoopla in papers like the WSJ and NY Times, on blogs, etc.  A lot of unhappy people. Lots of comments. I agree with the guy who said, "I use DVDs and have always looked at streaming as kind of a freebie."  As one who needs captions or subtitles, I've just been grateful.  I'll cancel the streaming part of my subscription because I rarely use it at home, just sometimes when travelling when the grands are involved in something I don't want to watch.

jeriron

« Reply #1796 on: July 15, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
I've never used the streaming so canceling that part doesn't  matter to me. Right now I pay $19.99 for 3 unlimited dvds.  In checking the new pricing if I'm reading it right it will be $15.99 for 3 unlimited without streaming. So that ok with me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1797 on: July 15, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
What does this streaming mean?

R

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1798 on: July 15, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »
What does this streaming mean?

R
I'm not sure of the technical details, but it essentially means that you can instantly watch a movie just by asking for it, either on your computer or, if you're set up for it, your TV.  So if you click on the "watch now" button, you immediately start watching the movie, the same way we have watched the PBS broadcasts at times.  It isn't downloaded, it just passes through.

Pedln brings up something important.  If you can't get captions, they are cutting out some of us.

Octavia

« Reply #1799 on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
I'm quite upset about the news that BigPond Movies, the Australian equivalent of NetFlix, will close in September. They've offered alternatives, but none seem compatible with my wireless connection, and if they were I imagine I'd have to get a more expensive plan to cope with the extra use.
I really don't want to keep driving backwards and forwards to a video store.
 A pox on their house  >:(
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.