Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 870301 times)

mrssherlock

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1240 on: August 21, 2010, 12:47:49 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Babi:  Seems like backing up that important data would be a good idea for us all.  Those little USB gizmos, "thumb sticks?", hold 8GB and up and are dirt cheap.  I've got to get off my duff and start work on it.  When my laptop crashed I lost years of bookmarks, for example.  
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

joegreyfan

« Reply #1241 on: August 21, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
Roshanarose, I have one of Mo Hayder's books, Pig Island, on hand, but haven't read it yet. Looks like my sort of thing. (Since my taste in mysteries ranges from cat cozies to serial-killer thrillers, "my sort of thing" covers quite a wide range!) I like both Michael Connelly (especially The Poet) and John Connolly. Has anyone read John Connolly's The Gates, a good-vs.-evil fantasy in which a boy and his dog face the challenge of keeping the gates of hell from opening?

Babi, I don't have a DVR, because I don't want to add yet another monthly expense to my budget. Netflix sounds like it might be a better idea for me.

I found out that the fictional Maine coon cat, Diesel, in Miranda James' (aka Dean James) Murder Past Due, is named after Barbara Mertz's (aka Elizabeth Peters) real Maine coon cat.

I'm currently reading Dog on It by Spencer Quinn (real name Peter Abrahams), which is a P.I. mystery narrated by the detective's sidekick, Chet, who is a dog. It's really fun seeing the world from a doggy perspective. I think the author does an excellent job of it, with the dog constantly being distracted by smells, food, etc., and having no understanding of the metaphors humans use when they're talking.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1242 on: August 21, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
PatH, who's read them both, says  that "To Say Nothing of the Dog" is a spoof on "Three Men in a Boat", and is even funnier if you've read the latter.

Thanks fot the description of "taking the silk". I've finished "Silks", and it's ok, though not in a class with the best of Dick Francis -- rather slight of plot, with filler IMO.

Now I'm starting the Nevada Barr. She's in Big Bend National Park, on the Texas/Mexico border, and it looks like she's going to tackle the problem of immigration.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1243 on: August 21, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Borderline was a good read, JoanK.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mrssherlock

« Reply #1244 on: August 21, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »
Loved, absolutely adored Dog On It.  Deisel sounds like a cat I would like to get to know better.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #1245 on: August 22, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »
I have now synced my IPAD with this computer.. Not quite sure what that changed, but hopefully nothing.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #1246 on: August 22, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
I hate to think of all I lost the last time our computer crashed.  Of course, by now,
some old stuff I had saved is on formats that no longer fit into computers. I suppose my
computer must have one of those 'ports', though I have no idea where it is.  Offhand, tho'
I don't know of anything vital I need to save now. It's all communication and fun, now.
Restoring my address book was a pain, but I was able to do most of it. The rest will come
in, hopefully, as people get back in touch.
  I've 'met' Diesel, JACKIE.  He is a character, isn't he?  I'll watch for "Dog On It".
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1247 on: August 22, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
Steph, in the upper left hand corner of your iBook app is the word "STore".  You can click on that and see books for sale and free.  I just downloaded a free mystery by Henry Perez.  It's quite good.  Amazon also has a free Kindle app you can download.  I've gotten several books from Amazon and they download them right onto your iPad.  You can adjust your book to sepia and it is much easier on your eyes while reading.

I've downloaded some free games--Solitaire, Hearts, Dominoes, etc.  One of my favorite games is Boggle (1.99).  I love word games.  New York Times has a free app "Editor's Choice" which is informative, also like the ABC app.  It took me a little while to really get into the iPad but I enjoy it probably more than I should.  :)

joegreyfan

« Reply #1248 on: August 22, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
Steph and FlaJean, I don't think I'm going to be able to resist getting myself an iPad much longer. I know so many people who have them, and they all love them! But to sync it with my computer, I'll have to upgrade my operating system from Mac Tiger to Mac Snow Leopard. A bit expensive but necessary.

I have a Kindle and really like it; I've found quite a few mysteries for $2.99 or less, some for a little more. I understand that I'll be able to sync my Kindle and the Kindle iPad app for iBooks so I can read on either and both will keep track of where I left off. Some people I know also have the B&N Nook app and use it on their Kindles too.

Currently reading Sudden Prey by John Sandford. Very exciting and suspenseful!

I preordered Peter Robinson's latest Alan Banks mystery, Bad Boy, and it's due to arrive tomorrow, along with Suzanne Collins' YA dystopian sci-fi novel Mockingjay.

Steph

« Reply #1249 on: August 23, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »
I am getting there with the IPAD. Downloaded some games.. although I love my solitaire on my big computer. It plays hundreds of variations which is fun.
Downloaded two free books and then one paid one.. on the IBOOK. I also have downloaded the Kindle applications and will explore them possibly today. Also the NYTimes extract. Did a really silly one yesterday.. Bubbles.. like the bubble wrap and you can pop away.. Silly and fun. Like the Weather app..

joegreyfan

« Reply #1250 on: August 26, 2010, 12:47:12 PM »
Finished Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay yesterday. A truly thrilling conclusion to the "Hunger Games" trilogy, but the story goes in directions I never expected. I'm sure the ending is going to be controversial! It's not primarily a mystery, but it does qualify as a thriller.

I've just started Peter Robinson's Bad Boy. So far, so good! I love this series.

I'm about to upgrade my MacBook Pro's operating system from Tiger to Snow Leopard. It's the first time I've done anything like this. Fortunately I have 90 days of free tech support for it. Wish me luck!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1251 on: August 26, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
Good luck! I love those titles: just watched a documentary on snow leopards, so I'm envisioning one padding through your computer.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1252 on: August 26, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
Went to the library and came back with a mystery with Oscar Wilde as the detective. I always go for those with historical figures as characters, and often I'm disappointed. But some of them are good: Teddy Roosevelt, Eleanor Roosevelt, Queen Elizabeth II have all made good fictional detectives.

So far this one is long on Wilde's funny quips (I can resist everything but temptation") and on historic personages that he met, and short on plot. But Wilde is funny, it makes fun reading.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1253 on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I just read Murder List by Julie Garwood. It was o.k., but i've read sev'l books w/ the same theme - tv personality being stalked. I do like her books in general.

I'm now reading Catherine Coulter's Blindside: an FBI story. I like her also, good reading....................jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1254 on: August 26, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
Forgot to give the title of the book. It's "Oscar Wilde and the Dead Man's Smile" by Gyles Brandreth.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1255 on: August 26, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »
Weren't the snow leopards magnificent?
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #1256 on: August 27, 2010, 06:18:52 AM »
Of all the animals on earth, I have always thought that seeing Snow Leopards wild and free would be the biggest thrill. They have such a wonderful look.. Leopards in general, I love to watch.. The flowing motion when they move.

Babi

« Reply #1257 on: August 27, 2010, 08:52:08 AM »
  I had a pretty good 'mystery' week.  Read my first book in the Rev. Clare Ferguson series and
enjoyed it.  Also found an old Brother Cadfael I didn't remember reading; "The Hermit of Eyton
Forest".  Always enjoy Brother Cadfael.  I'm now reading a book by Larry McMurtry, "Rhino Ranch",  and remembering why I like the movies better than the books.  Too heavy and 'in your
face' with the sex. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joegreyfan

« Reply #1258 on: August 27, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »
JoanK, I wish I'd seen that snow leopard documentary! I did get OS X Snow Leopard installed on my computer with no trouble at all. Apple makes that sort of thing very easy! It has a beautiful desktop background: a starry night sky with the aurora borealis. Plus a lot of improvements and additional features that OS X Tiger didn't have. And I'll be able to sync my iPad with it when I get one.

Still reading Peter Robinson's Bad Boy. Not quite finished, but I can tell you it's a very good read! It's a series that's best read in order, though, as the characters, especially Chief Inspector Alan Banks, go through a lot of changes over time. It's an especially good series for music lovers, because Banks is wild about music himself and is always listening to it. He enjoys most kinds of music, including opera, classical, rock, jazz, and folk.

Steph

« Reply #1259 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:54 AM »
Light relief.. the newest J.D. Robb. One of my guilty pleasures.. Never read Nora Roberts others, but love this series.
Almost done with the Lost Symbol.. Whew.. a very very violent book.. My ftf book club at the library is the reason.. I think that DaVinci code was somewhat better. This one seems to love violence for the sheer joy of it.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #1260 on: August 28, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
I finished the latest Linda Howard last night...Veil of Night.  I got so involved in it I stayed up until 1:15 am to finish it.  I'm a huge fan of hers.

Steph...I really enjoy many Nora Roberts' books.  I hadn't read her before, but got started and find most of them most relaxing and enjoyable.

jane

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1261 on: August 28, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »
I am really enjoying Daniel Silva's Rembrandt Affair...VERy well written book...Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #1262 on: August 28, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
Joan:  Have you read the other Gabriel Allon books by Daniel Silva?
Jackie

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1263 on: August 28, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Joan:  Have you read the other Gabriel Allon books by Daniel Silva?

I am reading them now...very well written....Joan Grimes

Steph

« Reply #1264 on: August 31, 2010, 06:28:14 AM »
Joan.. are you home?? I know you had to go to get therapy because of your fall. I must try Daniel Silva. Several of you like him..

nancymc

« Reply #1265 on: August 31, 2010, 06:31:18 AM »
I have just finished reading 'Wormwood' China Bayles in the Shaker Village.  I found it most interesting because I knew absolutely nothing about Shaker life.   Now starting  a Tess Gerritsen about secret agents set in Paris, having visited my daughter in Paris recently (my last vist to Paris was  55 years ago).   I was interested to see that nothing much had changed there.  I wish Sue Grafton would hurry and write another book - her detective  Kinsey Millhone is one of my all time favourites.

Nancy

mabel1015j

« Reply #1266 on: August 31, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
I liked Wormwood also, Nancy. In fact, i think i've read all of the "plant/herb" titles. What a disappointment...... :'(  to look thru all the titles at the library and know i've read them. I'm not as fond of her "English" stories.

I've read three of the Grafton books and haven't been captured by them, but i know there is an o.k. read if i get desperate........LOL.....of course, the library now has more mystery books than any other kind, so i guess i won't be desperate for a few yrs.........lol........jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1267 on: August 31, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
Nancy: I liked "Wormwood", too. There's a mystery series set in a Shaker village, but I can't remember the author or name. I'll see if I can find it on "Fantastic Fiction".

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1268 on: August 31, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
Found it. The author is Deborah Woodworth. Their are 6 in the series, the first is "Death of a winter Shaker. I read the first few years ago and liked them. I see there are some I haven't read.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/deborah-woodworth/

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1269 on: August 31, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
Joan.. are you home?? I know you had to go to get therapy because of your fall. I must try Daniel Silva. Several of you like him..

No Steph,  I am not home...I don't know When I will be home...I often feel that I will never be there again...I am still in this rehab place where I am getting Therapy...I am now wearing a big huge black boot  which I have to remove everyday inorder to wash the injured leg with soap a
nd water..  I do not see the Dr again until September 13....I am as of today 50% weight bearing.  I feel that i am only existing here in a vaccum...  I am thankful that I have my computer here...I can read books on my Kindle here on my computer... Ihighly recommend Daniel Silva..Joan Grimes

mrssherlock

« Reply #1270 on: August 31, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
V I Warshowsky was interviewed today on NPR's Talk of the Nation.  She is a delight!  People call her "Six"!
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #1271 on: September 01, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »
 Thank goodness for books when you're laid up, JOANG.  And it's fortunate that you have a computer, too.  I know you must be longing
to be home again.  Have faith; the day really will arrive.

Steph

« Reply #1272 on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:22 AM »
Joan, I will hold you in the light as the quakers say and look within to do what I can do. Glad you have the kindle and the computer. I am getting better and better with my IPAD.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1273 on: September 01, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »
I hope you get to go home soon, Joan.  {{{{{Joan}}}}}
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #1274 on: September 01, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
Joan;  So good to hear from you again.  I feel a special tie to you as I spent the first 7 years of my life in Alabama, Mobile, actually.  Don't remember it much but there it is on my birth certificate.  I can't imagine how dreary it must be to be deprived of your mobility but the computer and the Kindle do give you two great windows (pardon the pun) on the world waiting for you outside your rehab facility. 
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1275 on: September 01, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
JoanG: I know how you feel. It seem like forever, but it's not. This too shall pass.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1276 on: September 01, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
Good pun, Jackie............jean

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1277 on: September 01, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »
Thannks for your  encouragement Folks...I really need it....I do know deep down that I will make it....I just don't like being ssuch a prisioner to this injury...JoanGrimes

Steph

« Reply #1278 on: September 02, 2010, 06:00:50 AM »
Finished the Boleyn Inheritance and chose another Gregory for my bed book.. The Queens Fool. I like her style of writing and I love English royalty .
I also walked by ( HO HO HO) the Barnes and Nobel yesterday.. Sigh.. Went in..oh to just walk by.. Found as always a lot of books I could not live without. Darn..
But I did find an interesting one that I had read about in Bookmarks several months ago.. It is about a polygamist and is fiction. Looking forward to reading it the review was great.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1279 on: September 02, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
Isn't it a great feeling to be anticipating reading a good book? It's almost like anticipating having a fun, nice visit from a friend.

Joan, i hope you can have some good books and some good friends to look forward to...........altho i know when i am confined and have already been reading a lot, I want some kind of CHANGE and that's the most frustrating  - is that boredom? Well, maybe coming into SL each day, or reading your e-mails can give you that change and something to look forward to..........i hope so.................jean