Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 154067 times)

Phyll

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »
I got an email from Pat Scott yesterday and she said it is a bandwidth problem.  S&F has just become too popular and overloaded apparently.  She said they are working to go to a new server but it will take some time to set it up.

Marjifay, Seniors and Friends is a discussion forum that was started by Pat Scott after the old SeniorNet Discussion Forum suddenly shut down.  It addresses all of kinds of subjects in its discussions---other than Books and Literature which is taken care of here,of course.  Nearly all of the people in S&F have filtered in from the old SeniorNet site.  It wouldn't do any good to give you the present link to it because it isn't working right now but when they get back up and running on a new server then we can give you their new address, if you are interested. 
phyllis

marjifay

« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
Thanks, Phyll.  I am interested.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »
Seniors and friends is a great site. Pat Scott has sent it up and it has pretty much everything that SN had. Its a fun place they have Normmmmmmmmmm's Bait and Tackle shop which used to be the Michigan Folder. Also health and gripe and photography at last count I read they had nearly 50,000 posts. It also has a book area but they do not do a paraticular book as we do but just chat about what they may be reading. A lot of them will be over here for book discussions.  Their Cafe is called the soda shoppe.
They are moving to a bigger site and shouldn't take long.

Babi

« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »
Judy & Phyll, thanks for the up-date on S&F.  I would also be interested in the new address when it's available.  I'm hoping to find some old friends there from sites outside the book discussions.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
doesn't look like the address has changed on Seniors & Friends - They are back in business again
http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Phyll

« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »
Thanks, Barbara, for posting the Seniors & Friends link.

You will need to register just as you did here in Senior Learrns, Babi and Marjifay, but you can use whatever User Name you wish as long as it isn't already being used by someone else.

Pat Scott has done a wonderful job with the site, with the help of the Web Master, Oldiesmann.  Come over and join in with all of the old group--and a few new ones.
phyllis

Steph

« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »
Aha, I am with Marjifay.. what is seniors and friends. Do tell..
Have not had much time for reading just now, but am reading a new book and author for me. A female episcopal priest in a murder mystery..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
When SeniorNet disappeared last fall in order to fill the gap Pat Scott opened her web site - something about  photography and many of us flocked to the site so that she has had to change servers 2 or 3 times now -

My take is, the discussions are casual at Seniors & Friends and include mostly folks who were on the Seniornet site - posting are those who for years had forged friendships on-line in SeniorNet - Where as Ginny and Joan's site include some of the original group who stared these discussion and this site is specific to books and the Latin classes - the folks here are more about learning then simply chatting although, there is chatting shared.

Several of us go back and forth during the day reading and posting on both sites were as some are into chatting and light learning therefore they do not seem to gravitate to this site. Both sites are predominately those from Seniornet.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2009, 07:43:44 AM »
Thanks for the explanaton. Will make a note to tune in when life and I catch up with each other.
The book I am reading is quite interesting.. It is much more a novel than a murder mystery and is quite good.

Babi

« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »
PHYLL, is 'Oldiesmann' the Webmasters real name?  It seems so appropriate.. the 'oldies' man... that I wondered if he had made it up for the purpose.
 :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

LarryHanna

« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2009, 12:06:57 PM »
Babi, Oldiesmann is not his name and I think he actual first name is Michael.  Pat, I hope that is correct. 
LarryBIG BOX

mabel1015j

« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
I was just looking at Mary Alice Monroe's website. I have read Beach House, Sweetgrass and Swimming Lesson, and new there was a new one, but didn't realize she has 3 or 4 other adult novels. Have any of you read any of her other books?...............jean

mynioga

« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2009, 05:06:49 PM »
Jean,   I just learned about Time is a River and have ordered it from our library.    I like M.A. Monroe's books because along with a good story there is usually a lesson about nature that is interesting.      This new book is set in the mountains near Ashville, NC  another favorite spot of mine, so it has an extra attraction for me.

Meanwhile I'm reading an older book by Pete Hamill.     I've read something of his before.    This one is Snow in August.   It is set in Brooklyn in the mid '40s and has some real good stuff in it.

Steph......I loved it when you used the expression  "Do tell".     I haven't heard that one since I was a kid.   It seemed to be a favorite of my mother.     Thanks for the memory. ;)
Mary

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
Jean I think a lot of us have read most all of her books.
She met with us when we went to Isle of Palms and is
really a fabulous person.
All of her books are about lowlands in and around isle of palms
One is Beach House,  The Book Club, Skyward, Sweetgrass is the sequel
to The Beach House.   Swimming Lessons.

All her books are a 5* to me.

She is also very active in the saving the Turtles on the beach at Isle of Palms

Her web site is very interesting I think its just maryalicemonroe.com.
If thats not right just google her.

Hope this helps.

Steph

« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
The woods around Asheville. Need to pick them one up. I love the Asheville area. Would move there in a heartbeat if I could convince my husband. He is a warm weather person and only likes
Asheville in the summer.
Been reading Michelle Blake.. Anyone ever heard of her. They are calling the one I read a mystery, but it is so much more than that.. I read The Tentmarker.. Lily Connor who is an episcopal priest is the protagonist and I learned a whole lot about the more involved forms of this faith.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »
To each his own - my daughter would looovvvee for me to move either to Asheville or Flat Rock or Hendersonville or best in her community of Saluda - but my oh my - all those trees - you can't see the sky for the trees and it gets cold for weeks at a time - now if she were in Northern New Mexico I could put up with the cold because at least you get to see the sky... :)  ;)  :-*

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »
Steph and Barbara, y'all could move to Chattanooga and get the best of all worlds.  (Except we DO love New Mexico - just don't want to live there. :D )
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »
I know "we" are not affiliated, but does anyone know if S&F is having bandwidth problems again?  I can't get in again this afternoon.  They had it all fixed, but not being able to get back in gives me reason to believe they are having problems again.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
Evidently - I could not figure out if it was me or what because yesterday I could not get in here to SeniorLearner - my computer was upgraded during the night and I wondered if that is what knocked things askew - all I seem to do here of late is clean out my cashe.

mynioga

« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
  I had no luck in getting into Seniors and Friends again today.    I'm biding my time.  :)
Mary

mynioga

« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »
Seniors and Friends seems to be up and running again tonight.
Mary

Steph

« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »
 Ijust joined the Senior and Friends yesterday and it seemed to be working.
Been reading mostly mysteries however.. So will post them on mystery. Just got an email notice that Book Marks is on the way to the printer.. So in the next few weeks, should get my fix of new books and reviews. I do love that magazine.

mynioga

« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »
I just picked up a copy of Time is a River by M.A. Monroe at our library today.    Anxious to start but have a little of Pete Hamill's, Snow in August to finish tonight.     This has turned out to be a very good story.   I would recommend it.
Mary

Steph

« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »
I have been devouring Harlen Cobens latest, but truth is I am still puzzled and disappointed in the theme.. First time, I generally adores his stuff.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2009, 08:55:51 AM »
MaryZ, you're going to get a Mississippi River relic in Chatannooga.  I understand that the Delta Queen paddleboat is going into retirement there and will become a floating hotel.  I've never 'sailed' on it, but friends from Wisconsin  traveled it several times, and if I was in town when they docked, I'd go down and visit them on it.  Folks here love it, and it was always an event when it would pull out from shore, playing its caliope.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #225 on: February 07, 2009, 10:14:24 AM »
Pedln, that's been big news around here.  Our oldest (Sue) went on the Delta Queen on the Ohio about 5 years ago, and fell in love.  We did a trip from Chattanooga to Memphis a couple of years ago.  It was a fun trip, but unfortunately it was in August 2007 when the temps were routinely around 100*, so we didn't get to spend the quality time sitting in the rocking chairs on the deck.  :'(    Sue was devastated that they were taking her off the river, and they did a last trip in September, again on the Ohio.  We're tickled to have her here - although it's supposed to be a "temporary fix".  ;)

Another trip we've loved was on the River Explorer (with Riverbarge Excursions).  Actually, we liked that even better than the Delta Queen (although I know that's heresy).  We had a trip scheduled for this summer - their inaugural trip to and from Chattanooga.  But, they've cancelled their entire year's trips because of the economy.  This is such a great company, IMHO, deciding to cancel the year and hope to restart in 2010, rather than get in way over their heads and have to take Chapter 11 or bankruptcy.  The company is owned by two people, and they have only one boat, so it's very personal.  Assuming they get back in business, I'd highly recommend a trip with them.

Or you can just come to Chattanooga and stay a couple of nights - one on the Delta Queen, and one at the Chattanooga Choo Choo (hotel in the old train station).
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
It all sounds very enticing, MARYZ.   I do hope the couple who operate the River Explorer will be able to resume next year. It would be a shame to lose such a commendable company and vacation option.

Steph

« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2009, 12:58:36 PM »
We have stopped in Chattanooga a few times, but with the rv, stay at a park close to town.. Took the cog railroad thing and scared me to death. Whew.. never ever again. When I looked at the downslope, almost walked down the hill.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Ihope to start my trip this year in Mississippi if there even is a trip.

Finished off Greg Isdlea The Footprints of God and it was a job. I love his books so much but this was not my cup of tea. I think it should be marked sci-fi. Computers that can take over the world too much STUFF.

Thursday I took a yoga class and kept UP  Yeah Me .  First time I have exercised since JS had lung cancer. Then I was her driver to Ya Yoga survivers class in Seattle and loved it. As I can see myself getting weaker I decided it was time and I did quite well I though. hehe

Next on Friday morning about 12:30  I went to the emeregency room with lots of bleeding. Spent the night and am home and enjoying poor health as my broter used to say. They think it may be a UTI never had one before and hope not to do it again. It could be a tumor, must go a urologist tueday morning.
Am now reading a Scottoline book and that is like choclate to me.

mabel1015j

« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »
Oh, Judy, hope you will be feeling better soon........Scottoline may be just the medicine you need, she can take your mind to Philadelphia!

My fiction reading at the moment is Beloved Enemy by Ellen Jones, a story of Eleanor of Acquitaine, who is one of my favorite women in history - put on my list of course by Kathryn Hepburn..........teehee..... Jones does a great job of giving us a look at the historical characters of the time............Louis of France, Henry II, and of course Eleanor and her father and grandfather are great characters. She gives us a brief look at the grandfather's (the Troubador, said to be the person who popularized chivalry at a time when brutish men were in fashion) mistress who has an intriquing philosophy of life - she tells E to make happen whatever it is she wants in life, even if she is a girl w/ no power to control what is going on around her. E is unhappy that no one is paying any attention to her since her mother died. So at a banquet she gets up on the table and dances up and down the table - so everyone looks at her, enjoys her escapade, smiles and applauds - a lesson learned!.....................jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »
Steph, years ago, a bunch of family rode up the Incline Railway.  Two of our daughter absolutely refused to get on it again to ride back down.  We had come in two automobiles.  John and about 1/2 of the group took the railway down, then drove up to get the rest of us. :D  For a long time after that, we had "down" tickets.  We'd drive guests up onto Lookout Mountain, John and the guests would ride the Incline down, and I'd drive down and pick them up at the bottom. ::)  Oh, well.........    Let us know the next time you're going to stop here and we'll recommend and/or show you some of the sights on flatter ground.

Judy, I'm so sorry.  A UTI is no fun, or any other urinary tract problem.  I hope you're better soon.

Hi jean!

Steph

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Beloved Enemy.. I love and have read most if not all of the Eleanor books. I consider her one of the most interesting characters in English history.. She fought back..had some wonderful sons and at least one, not so wonderful.
Oh Judy.. Take care..UTI's can be miserable..I am surprised that you could be doing the yoga and then got sick so quickly. I am doing yoga with my WII fit. Had not done it for the past two years, so am slowly getting back. I still cannot do things on one foot without holding on to a chair, but I persevere.
I have the latest Scottoline.. I am a fan because she has a CORGI.  Hooray for her.

mabel1015j

« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »
Steph - the first book i read about Eleanor - many yrs ago - was E of Aquitaine and the Four Kings, a non-fiction book by Amy Kelly. I had to wonder if any other person had had such a close relationship w/ four kings, let alone being the wife and mother of them...................she apparently had the spunk and wit that K Hepburn gave her in Lion in Winter. Would she be someone w/ whom i'd like to be friends - i think so, but she could be caustic and spiteful also...........jean

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
Thanks everybody. I feel so dumb and now my emergency room files are probably all messed up and I am an idiot. I had never heard of a UTI before. All night they kept asking me if I know about some infection and I kept saying yes if you take too many anti-biotics then you get and infection and take a pill for it.  I thought they were talking about a yeast infection because I didn't know they were any other kind.  They took 2 xrays and a cat scan and I don't know if this follows me to the doctor on tuesday or not. I know the first thing she is going to say is Hi DUMMY  hehe
I am still proud that I could do the entire class since I haven't been for years.

Steph

« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2009, 07:49:28 AM »
I agree Eleanor had enormous influence over a wide area for the time.. As to liking her.. Hmm. not sure she would  have been good company for long..But I would have loved to have known her.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2009, 04:39:43 PM »
MaryZ, I'm with you.  I like the River Explorer Barge best.  Have been on two of their trips and loved both -- one down to Pilot Town and the mouth of the Mississippi and the other on the Ohio up to Marietta.  I didn't know they had temporarily closed down because of the economy, but I haven't been reading the brochures.  Sorry you won't get your trip this year.  They used to give discounts (one per stateroom) to teachers and former teachers.  I wonder if they'll reinstate that policy when they come back.

Judy, I hope you're feeling better.  I've never had a UTI and never hope to have one. Let us know what the doctor says.  I'm really impressed that you and Steph can do yoga. My SIL does it, but he's a lot younger.  I've heard about those WII fit things, Steph, but I'd like to see it all in action sometime.  But keep moving, she says as she finds another excuse not to go to the pool.  (I think I'd get in more often if it were in the backyard instead of on the other side of town  :P )

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
pedln, you're the first one we've found who's gone on the River Explorer.  We've done two trips - one from Cincinnati to Nashville, and one from Nashville to Nashville.  We were so excited that they were coming to Chattanooga for the first time this year, and we had signed up for the inaugural trip from Chattanooga to St. Louis.  We're SO hoping they can come back next year.  Maybe we'll see you on one sometime.  ::)

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »
Thanks Pedln I had no idea what a UTI was either I imigine  I will know by this time tommorow. hehe

I'd love to go on that river boat Mary sounds like fun.

Steph

« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2009, 08:18:32 AM »
I am really sorry that the river boats and the river barge are taking a year off. We have them on our list to do and just have not gotten around to it. We almost went last year, but we had always wanted to do the German Christmas Markets and when a nice river cruise doing that popped up, we decided to do that instead.  There is a nice canadian line that does the great lakes and that is something for us to consider..

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
Steph, if RiverBarge comes back, be sure to take one of their trips.  They're great folks!    We're looking at doing a canal-boat on the Erie Canal in September with John's sister and BIL.