Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556715 times)

MaryPage

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #2040 on: September 20, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

You would!  You would!  I just know you would!

Babi

« Reply #2041 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
 It's now on my queue, MARYPAGE.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2042 on: September 23, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
Oh boy, the weekend coming up, thin-crust pizzas in the freezer, salmon salad ready any time, and DVD heaven at my fingertips.  What to watch first --

Several here recommended The Spiral Staircase earlier, and it has now arrived from Netflix, as well as a French film,  Entre Nous.  And I had another oldie, American Flyers (Kevin Costner), on my queue but it has become unavailable, so I bought it.  Just an old cyclist at heart, I'd seen it years ago.  And The Red Balloon, a lovely tale about a magical balloon flying about Paris.  We had the book when the kids were little.  I wonder if it's still available.

Now, I'm searching for a title -- maybe you can help me name this film or made-for-TV movie.

The setting, I think, is Vienna around the time of the Cold War.  A small American boy has become separated from his parents.  His father may be a diplomat, I can't remember, and authorities fear the boy may be in danger.  The child is in an amusement park.  The authorities slip someone into the park to watch for the boy, and she silently gives him a different hat to wear.

Does this ring bells for anyone?  It was a good movie as I recall.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2043 on: September 23, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
Pedln, I'm glad you mentioned the films you are going to watch. Of the ones you mentioned, I've only seen THE RED BALLOON (which I remember being as whimsical as the book).

I looked up a bit about the others and they look good too. I'll try to see them. Entre Nous sounds especially appealing. I read an interesting review that came out when the film did in 1983. See http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9F03E7D71138F93BA35753C1A965948260 but only if you don't mind finding out what the film is about.

Your description of the film you are looking for doesn't ring a bell for me....but it sounds interesting too!

I hope you enjoy your DVDs and pizza!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2044 on: September 24, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
Pedlin: I'll trade you my some of my chicken soup and pile of books for some salmon salad and a DVD.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2045 on: September 24, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »
Marcie, thanks so much for the link to the review of Entre Nous, about two French women friends in the aftermath of World War II, which I read and appreciated. I’m not sure how Entre Nous got on my queue, whether it was recommended by Netflix or by someone here at SeniorLearn.  But I could swear that that’s the title that was on my queue.  Imagine my surprise this evening when I started watching the film and saw that it was about a young Columbian woman, living in New York City, trying to survive and make a life for her two young children, after being abandonded by her husband.  The title – Entre Nos.  What a difference one letter can make.  I’m assuming the English translation for both films is something like Among Us or Between Us.

Entre Nos is short – 81 minutes and is very well done. It was written and directed by Paola Mendoza, who also plays the part of the young mother.  It is worth watching and I do recommend it.  There are subtitles for the Spanish dialogue, and I was going to complain about the lack of such for the English dialogue, but am keeping quiet after seeing what this family went through. The film is based on a true story.  (And there is little English dialogue.)

Netflix does not yet have the DVD for Entre Nous, although Amazon has had it for a long time, but does have it in its data base as a “saved” film.

MaryPage

« Reply #2046 on: September 25, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
Beatrice Adela Lestrange Bradley is an elderly private detective and polymath psychoanalyst in a series of 65 novels by Gladys Mitchell (debuted 1929). Diana Rigg starred in a 1998-1999 BBC television series based on the books.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2047 on: September 25, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
MaryPage, Netflix has them -- the Mrs Bradley Mysteries.  I always liked Dianna Rigg when she hosted Masterpiece Theatre.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2048 on: September 25, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
I like Dianna Rigg too. I think that some time ago PBS showed a few Mrs. Bradley episodes which were good.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2049 on: September 26, 2011, 03:22:20 AM »
Gosh, Diana Rigg - haven't thought of her for a while!  In my childhood she was always Mrs Peel in the Avengers - every man's secret fantasy, all black leather and mystery  :)

http://www.frodisman.com/riggpic10.jpg

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #2050 on: September 26, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »
 I loved "Avengers".  Mrs. Peel was everything that I, mild-mannered and rarely assertive,
was not.  ;D     Now, excuse me, I've got to go look up "polymath".
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

roshanarose

« Reply #2051 on: September 27, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
Who didn't love Mrs Peel?  That lithe body encased in black fabric and the grace and movement of a cat.  All of Steed's companions after that didn't quite live up to her.  Purdie was Joanna Lumley - do you remember?  I saw Joanna on TV last week as she travelled to find the source of the Nile.  Fascinating documentary, very well made, and Joanna well out of her "Ab Fab" Pats mode with no make-up and hair askew.  Joanna still looked great, she has good bones (as they say).  Diana Rigg also married James Bond - but it was a very short marriage.  

I did happen to see Ms Rigg in the Mrs Bradley Mysteries but I was disappointed.  The mysteries fell somewhat flat, but of course she was fantastic.  Those clothes, hats etc.  She seems to fit nicely into any role she plays.  
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2052 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:16 AM »
Last night BBC4 (the only decent channel and therefore - wouldn't you know it? - the one the BBC wants to cull) - showed one of those Mrs Bradley episodes followed by an interview with Diana Rigg.  I wish it had been the other way round, as I would have loved to have seen the present day interview, found the Mrs Bradley thing pretty awful, could not keep my eyes open so had to go to bed before the interview. 

We have just bought a new TV which purports to let you watch BBC i Player (ie the catch-up service) on it (rather than on your computer screen, which does not appeal to me).  Needless to say we haven't set it up yet, but if we manage that this w/e I might be able to watch the interview on that.  If our signal is good enough - which is a very big IF out here!

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #2053 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »
ROSHANA & ROSEMARY,  I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for the Miss Bradley
mysteries.  I felt so disloyal! 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2054 on: September 28, 2011, 12:59:56 PM »
I'm sure you liked all her other stuff, Babi - and I'm sure she'll forgive you!  the thing I really didn't like was all the little "asides to camera".  And the plot was so silly - I know Miss Marple also manages to interfere in police business, but somehow one doesn't object to that.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2055 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
Rosemary - You have my empathy regarding setting up TVs etc.  I am one of those "suckers" who always buy furniture that needs to be assembled at home, complete with instructions that seem to be written in Chinglish.  My daughter bought me a bookcase (Yes my TBR finally toppled) for my birthday and amid a lot of cursing and screws being put in the wrong place, I am assembling it on my own.  I figured if I could put together my TV bench, which is about 6' long I could assemble this bookcase.  Wrong!  I have finally worked out that I need to buy a battery operated screwdriver so there is no possibility of dislocating my shoulders when I am required to put in screws at an impossible angle.  Who needs handymen?  I do.

I know that most of you have seen the TV series and movies about Elizabeth 1.  Yesterday I found The Glenda Jackson version.  She truly is an amazing actor.  I have finished two episodes and look forward to another two tonight. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #2056 on: September 29, 2011, 08:37:43 AM »
Ah, yes,ROSEMARY,  but Miss Marple was so tactful and polite. She always deferred to the
police...while subtly dropping them hints.   ::)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2057 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »
Rosemary, a BBC i player?  Would that be something that attaches to you TV and lets you get the Internet there, rather than the computer?  For streaming movies?

w/e -- weekend?    :)

roshanarose -- a battery operated screwdriver -- sounds wonderful, I think I've seen those.

Actually, I think anything that's going to be set up here will be wireless.  Just turn it on and point. Screwdrivers, too.

Has anyone seen the film Sarah's Key?  My f2f group is reading the book, which I am getting a lot out of.  The reviews of the film are halved, with positive comments for the 1942 settings, and somewhat negative ones for the contemporary, 2002 part.  I don't find that divisiveness in the book.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2058 on: September 29, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
Pedln - BBC i player is a sort of store of BBC programmes, so you can watch them later on-line on your computer (provided your signal is good enough to stop the pictures "freezing" every 10 seconds, as ours tend to).  They keep the programmes available for a few weeks I think.  I haven't ever used it because I really don't think I would enjoy watching Tv on the laptop, but now you can instead feed it through the TV if the TV has the right bits.  I am told that this thing we have just bought (and which is still in its box...) will do this, though of course it is still dependent on the wretched signal - and for that we are all dependent on the hub at Direlton, a couple of miles away from here.  The hub belongs to British Telecom, and unless and until BT decides to upgrade it, our signal is going to remain decidedly iffy, no matter who our provider is - it all has to come through that one hub (unless you pay for special satellite service at £100 per month...)

I think some of the commercial channels also have similar catch-up services, but as yet I have no idea if you can get them through the new TV, or only on your computer.  No doubt my daughters know all about it.....

Yes, w/e = weekend  :)

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2059 on: September 29, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
We saw "Moneyball" the other day.  I didn't realize it was based on a nonfiction book.  It's a good enough movie - Brad Pitt is very good - and it's an interesting true story about the Oakland Athletics.  Not one of the top 10 movies of all time, but a good afternoon or evening out.  Long, though, at 133 minutes.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

roshanarose

« Reply #2060 on: September 29, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
Pedln - Yes the battery (LithiumI)operated screw driver is charging as we speak.  It has 4 different chucks that may be fitted.  It looks a bit like a Luger pistol and I fancy myself as Jamesina Bond when I hold it, loaded.  I did learn to shoot once, it was truly a lot of fun.  I was best at clay pigeon shooting with a shotgun and also lying on my tummy shooting at distant targets with a .22 rifle.  I would NEVER EVER shoot a living thing.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2061 on: October 01, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
Roshanarose, my SIL, who has built some of their furniture in his spare time, swears by battery operated screwdrivers, and recently gave me some advice about what to buy (haven't bought it yet).

You're so right about rifle shooting; it's fun, and doesn't have to have anything to do with killing anything.  I was on the women's rifle team in college, and it was really positive experience.  The team closeness is different from other sports, and totally non-violent.  Everyone I've talked to who has been on a rifle team feels the same way.  I wouldn't kill anything either, and don't own a gun.

roshanarose

« Reply #2062 on: October 01, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
PatH and pedln - The aforesaid screwdriver is currently on the floor looking at me with its (green) baleful eye.  It has been fully charged and is now ready to be used.  I haven't used it yet, as the instructions said to buy those plastic eye protectors.  I will keep you up to date as I intend to finish assembling my bookcase tomorrow.  My daughter's birthday party today, although she was born on October, 4 and mine last week (26the September) have made for a busy week.

And I have to study up for my Latin class which starts again next Wednesday.   

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2063 on: October 01, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
Roshanarose, you share a birthday with my youngest daughter.  Another daughter is the 30th, and my husband was Oct 6, so there was always a birthday traffic jam.  The new granddaughter was due the 26th, but came early, spreading things out a bit.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2064 on: October 02, 2011, 04:51:39 AM »
Roshanarose - HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #2065 on: October 02, 2011, 05:53:16 AM »
Roshanarose:    What Latin class? Do tell!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2066 on: October 02, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
Happy Belated, Roshanarose, and yes, what Latin class?

PatH, I don't think I've ever even held a rifle, let alone shoot one.  My brother, on the other hand, loved guns.  He belonged to the Rifle Club in high school 60 some years ago.  Can you imagine any high school having a rifle club these days?  He never went hunting, so his targets must have been "targets" and tin cans. I think I'll email him and ask.

MaryZ, I'd never heard of Moneyball, but the trailer on Netflix looked good so I put it in my queue for whenever the DVD is released.

I finally broke down and bought The Bourne Trilogy, and watched "Identity" last night.  I do like Matt Damen.  Hope he won't be perpetually cast into spy movies.

MaryPage

« Reply #2067 on: October 02, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
Roshanarose, Happy Birthday, though I missed it.

I have relatives and friends with birthdays all around yours, but not on the actual date.  I KNEW you were a rarity!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2068 on: October 02, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
Pedln - "can you imagine any school having a rifle club these days?" - well yes, Madeleine's school - which is one of the old-established Edinburgh fee-paying schools -  has an Armoury room where they keep the guns used by the Army Cadets.  In 4th year senior (next year for Madeleine), every pupil has to participate in either Cadets, RAF or Duke of Edinburgh's Award.  Shooting is part of the cadet training.  (This Armoury is of course kept locked and fully alarmed and the alarm is linked directly to the police station.)  Shooting is still a common "activity" in British public (ie private) schools, many of which have shooting ranges.  I don't think, however, that you would ever get this in any of the state schools.

When we lived out in the country my son had a friend whose father used to do a lot of clay pigeon shooting.  He let Freddie and Sam launch the pigeon (or whatever it is you do with it) - they thought it was wonderful.  They also rode on the top of Landrovers.  Luckily I didn't know about any of this until after the event  :)

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2069 on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »
Luckily I didn't know about any of this until after the event  :)

Rosemary
There are a lot of things I could say that about. ;D

roshanarose

« Reply #2070 on: October 02, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes - You are all very sweet.

MaryPage - Thanks so much - I have never been called a "rarity" before.  

Gumtree and pedln - Re the Latin Class.  It's a bit of a doddle really.  This is mainly because so much of the vocabulary is understood.  The book has "Language Notes" at the end of each chapter :)It is Latin as taught to secondary school students.  We only have one and a half hours a week, and it is often just having fun.  The coursebook used is Cambridge Latin Course, Book 1, Fourth Edition.  This book and approach couldn't be more different to the way I learned Greek at Uni.  In Greek the main emphasis was/and is always on grammar.  This Latin book is much more user-friendly.  It uses the situational/topical approach - thus, the chapters are entitled Familias, In Villa, Negotium, In Foro, In Theatro, Felix, Cena etc.  The story is about one Familias and is set in Pompeii.  The last Chapter is called Vesuvius.  I have seen a lot of textbooks in my language learning and teaching career and this one is very good for the absolute beginner. It has lots of pictures 8) whereas my Greek text had none. I like it.

Rosemary - Thanks for the coloured text. It didn't go unnoticed. 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2071 on: October 03, 2011, 05:53:37 AM »
Roshanarose - when I did Latin at school in the 1970s, our harridan of a Latin teacher used to allow us to do the Cambridge Latin project on Friday afternoons as "recreation"!  The rest of the time we stuck to some ancient Latin textbook from the 1930s, full of verbs and nouns and all that stuff - and NO PICTURES!  As I've mentioned before, if we got something wrong that very book would often come hurtling towards our heads.  Ah Miss Edmunds, I have no fond memories of you whatsoever  ;D

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2072 on: October 03, 2011, 07:31:40 AM »
Rosemary - Miss Edmunds sounds ghastly.  I guess I was lucky at Uni, the teachers though somewhat strict used to give the best parties.  Home-made dolmades, moussaka, galaktobouroko, papoutsakia and other such delights.  Also fancy dress parties.  Our Head of Department used to just read Greek to us and our homework was to translate it and give it to him - bloody difficult - but he made the best raki / ouzo prawns this side of the equator for the end of term parties, and always free grog.  We were happy to forgive him.  Ahhh Petraki!

Babi

« Reply #2073 on: October 03, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
 Rosemary and Pat...AMEN!!

ROSHANA, if I had attended our university, I suspect I would have wanted to study Greek.
I would have been terrible, of course;  I never mastered rules of grammar in English.  Nevertheless, I always seemed to know how to write it properly despite that gap, perhaps from
reading good literature so much.  Whatever the reason, I was in the top 2% in English when I
started college, so I guess I didn't feel the 'rules' were all that necessary.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2074 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
The Latin 101's here use Cambridge I and it has much to commend it -- the pictures, the interesting Latin readings, the background information that is in English, and the word studies. But, unless the teacher is someone like Ginny, who always goes above and beyond the book, and  introduces additional grammer from day 1, I think it would be a horror to teach from. 

Gumtree

« Reply #2075 on: October 03, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
Yes, Ginny uses the Cambridge as an Introductory Reader but as Pedln says, augments it with masses of supplementary material and from day one there are rigorous grammar exercises. It certainly takes everyone more than one session per week to cover the ground.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2076 on: October 03, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
I recently finished watching "An Angel at My Table." It is a dramatisation by director Jane Campion of the three volume autobiography of New Zealand author Janet Frame. Originally produced as a television miniseries, the film, as with Frame's autobiographies, is divided into three sections, with the lead role played by three different actresses who portray Frame at different stages of her life. The actresses were amazing. The film was somewhat difficult to watch in part 2 during much of which Janet Frame was in a mental institution because of misdiagnosed schizophrenia. On the whole, the film is a positive portrait of a very resilient creative person. I would recommend it. I haven't read the books. I looked for the film because I admire the work of the director.

roshanarose

« Reply #2077 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
marcie - I agree a movie well worth seeing.  Have you seen "The Piano", another Campion creation?

Good on Ginny for the supplementary material.  When I was teaching Modern Greek I used to supplement it too.  Lots of History of the Language, pix, websites and what have you, I had to go a bit easy on the grammar though, as it tended to frighten many of the students.  But I subscribe to the view that you MUST know grammar if you are to learn and know the language.  Actually, although I haven't used it yet there is a supplementary web site for the Cambridge.  Just now I am too busy to use it and am happy to just build my structure and vocabulary up.  Ablative scares the daylights out of me as it isn't in Greek grammar.  

Babi - I know that you wouldn't have been a failure, because I had not studied Grammar until I started to learn Modern Greek either.  I learned pretty quickly though, I had to.  All the other students had studied at least one other language or had it as their L1.  I came top of the class through sheer determination and a healthy dose of competitiveness.  I can thank my brother for that last quality.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2078 on: October 03, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »
Marcie, I've just checked Jane Campion on Netflix and am happy to note that I already have An Angel at my Table and Bright Star (about Keats) on my queue, and waiting for the DVD release of Portrait of a Lady.  I remember seeing The Piano years ago and have a copy of the screenplay on my shelf. 

I've never read any of Janet Frame's works, and had never heard of her until several years ago when I took a commercial canoe trip in the Adorondacks.  My tent mate was a grad student writing a disseration on Janet Frame.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2079 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:05 AM »
roshanarose and pedln, I've also seen The Piano and Bright Star and Campion's early film, Sweetie.

I just finished watching director Cary Fukunaga's adaptation of Jane Eyre. I liked the version very much. See a clip with Judy Dench as the housekeeper and Mia Wasikowska as Jane at http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2011/sep/08/jane-eyre-mia-wasikowska-video

The DVD commentary by Fukunaga is interesting. He gives a lot of technical details about lighting, etc which I didn't fully understand. He mentions Jane Campion in his commentary.

How interesting, pedln, that you met someone writing a dissertation on Janet Frame.