Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 556727 times)

Babi

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #3040 on: November 30, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »

So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Judy Dench has only a small, background role, PEDLN, but she remained through more than
one change in actors playing Bond.  And, of course, she was always excellent.

We do the same thing with books, don't we?  Forget one we've read and bring it home
again. Thanks to all for the reminder about 'Lincoln'; haven't yet added it to my queue.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

bellemere

« Reply #3041 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:18 AM »
Also , in "Lincoln" it was great to see Sally field leave the cutie pie persona and give a marvelous portrayal of the unstable Mary Todd Lincoln. And Tommy lee Jones as the fanatical abolitionist Thaddeus Stevens forced to back away from a position to get the Thirteenth amendme ntpassed. All the performances were wonderful, those just struck me particularly.  I am going to try to read a little more about the passage of the amendment and go back and see the film again.
The big question:  is the reputation of Lincoln tarnished by some of the sleazy compromises he agreed to in order to get the amendment passed?  What do you think? 

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3042 on: November 30, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »
Our ART theatre is showing a more current "Wuthering Heights" this weekend. I will go Sunday. That was one of my favourite films years ago.  I believe this one may be a little more for Grownups.

Babi

« Reply #3043 on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:01 AM »
 In a real world, BELLE, sadly, if any book or film represented Lincoln as able to accomplish
his goals without compromises, it would be wholly unbelievable.  Everyone has to choose
where they will make such compromises, and where they cannot, but the choices will be
inevitable. I think they define you.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3044 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
Lincoln was a skillful politician, and indeed knew when to compromise.  Have you ever read his Cooper Union speech?  It's a masterpiece of careful legalistic arguing, leading to a position that would be acceptable to enough people, and workable enough given the situation at the time, to give him a chance of getting elected.  This speech probably won him the nomination of the Republican Party.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3045 on: December 01, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
"The big question:  is the reputation of Lincoln tarnished by some of the sleazy compromises he agreed to in order to get the amendment passed?  What do you think?"

We already know that he suspended "habeas corpus" (the law that says you can't throw someone in prison and keep them there without a reason) and threw the Maryland legislators who favored secession in prison to ensure that Maryland would vote to stay in the Union. If he hadn't done that, Washington DC would have been surrounded by rebel states and would have fallen. He was always willing to do what he had to.

Babi

« Reply #3046 on: December 02, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
  Truly, my respect for the man's intelligence and foresight grow with everything I learn about
him.  Is the Cooper Union address something I can find on-line, PAT?  I would be interested
in reading it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3047 on: December 02, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
Here's the address:

http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/cooperunionaddress.htm

And here's some info on its background and effect:

http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/aboutcooper.htm

If you read the speech, you will be puzzled at what he's saying close to the end, but keep going; he's about to pull a fast one.

Babi

« Reply #3048 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
Thank you, PAT.  I read the speech with great interest. I was especially impressed with
his excellent technique of frequent repetition of his main point and his thorough research
on the subject. I can see why his party 'sat up and took notice' of his abilities.

bellemere

« Reply #3049 on: December 04, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »
Re-reading "The Great Hunger" by Cecil Wookham-Smith, the account of the Irish Famine in the 1840's.
What a brilliant researcher and writer.  Primary sources cited all the way, and the truth is more horrible than anything  that could be made up. The callousness of the British gobverhment policies seems incomprhesible today, but were pretty standard even among 'democracies'  The overriding fear was that helping the starving Irish would make them acustomed to "dependence" is still echoed today in some conservative politics. The immigration of thousands of destitute starving people to our shores was strongly oposed by our congress at the time. Great, great book.
Question:  I hear a lot about the new
Core standards and theri emphasis on Non-fiction reading material for students over 'literature', e.g. fiction.
Each state is supposed to implement this according to their own preference. Proponents say it will help students be more analytical and critical in their thinking; Opponenets say that fiction enlarges and sparks the imagination and encourages the use of language in thought-provoking ways.  and some states may consider reading railroad timetalbes and political blogs and credit card agreements a s "nonfiction!  What do you think is the vblue of nonfiction to students, what would be some good nonfiction "reads?
Deary of Ane Frank comes to mind and Darwin's works on species, althought they wouldn't make the list in some school districts. 

bellemere

« Reply #3050 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »
Waiting now for the new "Anna karenine" the lvoe story that will not die.  Back to the overheated trains, overheated ballrooms, overheated people.  Reviews are not especially enthusiastic, even revealing that the actor playing Vronsky is wearing a WIG!  How unseductive is that.? But we shall see how pretty keira Knightly looks, and  even if she doesn't surpass Garbo as Anna, she may find something new to add to the characterization.
Question I posed on NonFiction:  The new "Core reccommendations for students promote more nonfiction over fiction.  Proponents claim it will help students think more critically and be able to analyze comples subjexts. Trouble is the states get to pick the nonfiction, ans some may decide to
dumb down" with timetalbles, web blogs, and magazine articles. what do you think?  What do you think is the value of fiction for students?  And what might be some great nonfiction works:  Diary of anne Frank comes to mind, and Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle, although the latter would be "out" in some districts.

Frybabe

« Reply #3051 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »
I saw the other day a promo for a new movie coming out called Hitchcock (Alfred, that is). IMDB lists its release date as the 7th of this month. Goodness, I did not recognize Anthony Hopkins at all. Helen Mirren and Scarlett Johansson are also in it.

Hopkins is incredibly busy. Noah is in post-production and due out next year. I'd love to see him as Methuselah. Russell Crowe is Noah.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3052 on: December 04, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »
Re:  Lincoln.  I hope the DVD comes out soon, I’m really looking forward to seeing it.

Frybabe, I’ve been hearing a lot about Hitchcock.  Can a film with Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins be anything but good?  It seems we’re getting more and more “biographical” and “real life” type films, which for the most part I’ve found very enjoyable.  The King’s Speech, The Social Network, Iron Lady – though not as good as the others – just a few examples.

Bellemere, I know very little about the Common Core, but your comments sent me looking.  There seems to be a lot out there about it.  Interestingly, for me, I watched Freedom Writers the other night, about a high school class in southern California that was certainly not held to any standards by the school administration. “They’re poor, they’re immigrant, get ‘em out of here as fast as you can.”  It took a beginning teacher who imposed her own standards to help the students achieve their potential.  A good movie based on a real situation.

Babi, I was sympathizing with you when you told about the very bad film you watched the other night.  I had one this week  -- Margaret -- so  titled from the poem “Margaret are you grieving because Goldengrove’s unleaving. . .  .   ..?"  A high school student witnesses a fatal bus accident and gets herself involved more than she should. That’s the main plot, but there are so many others you don’t know where you’re at.   What a waste, what despicable characters.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3053 on: December 04, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
What a fantastic job of Makeup on Anthony Hopkins for the "Hitchcock" movie. Didn't reconize  him when showing on TV.  Takes about 6 hours they say. Sounds just like Hitchcock.  Can't wait for it to come out. Never miss a movie he is in . Also Helen Mirren, great.

bellemere

« Reply #3054 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
Definitely want to see Hitchcock.  Hopkins is a "chameleon"' tell him to be handsome and seductive and he will. 
Tell him to be evil and repulsive and hewill do that too. I guess he can also be fat and perverse if the role requires.
I loved all the Hitchcock moview: Notorius was perhaps my favorite.  Also loved some of the shorter TV programs.  Will never forget Barbara Bel Geddes, boppin her husband on the head with the frozen leg of oamb, cooking it, and serving it to the investigating cops who were puzzled there was no murder wepon to be found!

Babi

« Reply #3055 on: December 05, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
 Surely the best approach would be a combination of both non-fiction and fiction.
There are great books in both genres, and benefits to both of them. Maybe the non-
fiction has been neglected in the past. Literature is primarily taught as part of
the English curriculum, but I would have thought...hoped...that teachers in other
studies would have been recommending, or requiring, appropriate related non-fiction.

"Hitchcock" and "Noah" both sound good, FRYBABE. Do you know yet when they will be
out?
 PEDLN, thanks for the warning about 'Margaret'.  I will be sure to avoid it.

Frybabe

« Reply #3056 on: December 05, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
Hitchcock is scheduled to be released to the general public on Dec. 7. It has already had limited showings in the US and Canada.

Noah is in post production. Release date is set for March 28, 2014.

Babi

« Reply #3057 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
 Thanks, FRYBABE.   I'll be searching NETFLIX for 'Hitchcock'  this weekend,, for future
mailing, of course.  If it is very popular, it may be a good while before they can send it.

marjifay

« Reply #3058 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
I just watched a very good 1933 movie from Netflix:  TORCH SINGER, starring Claudette Colbert and Richard Cortez.  I wanted to see the film after seeing Cortez as a terrific Sam Spade in the 1931 Maltese Falcon.  

But the real stars of this movie IMO were Colbert and her young (black, of course) maid, played by Mildred Washington.  Colbert  was terrific as a young girl who gives birth to an illigitimate baby and has to give her up for adoption.  She then beccomes a torch singer in  a nightclub, but tries to find her little girl.  Didn't know she could sing, but she belts out a couple of good ones.  Mildred Washington, a beautiful girl with lots of talent died, sadly,  soon after making this film.  Her bio at IMDB is fascinating.  This movie was made before the Hollywood code, so could discuss subjects that later became taboo.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #3059 on: December 07, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
"Let's REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR
As we go to meet the foe.
Let's REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR
As we did the Alamo.
We will always remember how they died to set men free.
Let's REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR
And go on to victory."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3060 on: December 08, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
MaryPage, you've got me thinking about films from that came out after Pearl Harbor, films from the Pacific theater.  I think it was also the talk about Claudette Colbert that made me think of Three Came Home.  She starred iin this memoir.  Another that comes to mind is Empire of the Sun, based on J.G. Ballard's book.  It came out long after WWII.

When I first came to Missouri I remember reading columns written by William Woo, one of the editors at the St. Louis Post Dispatch.  At times he would write about his WWII experiences.  His mother was an American, married to a Chinese man, and they were living in CHina when the war broke out. He and his mother returned to the US by ship. He was about 10 or 11 at the time. The parents may have separated.  I don't know.  I often wished he had compiled his columns into a book format.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3061 on: December 08, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
We watched a fascinating documentary tonight.

The Rape of Europa is a 2007 documentary based on a book of the same name by Lynn H. Nichols.  The envelope from Netflix says “Joan Allen narrates this documentary that chronicles 12 years of the Nazis’ pillaging works of art throughout Europe and the international effort to locate, protect and return millions of valuable treasures.  The film traces the story of art lovers and everyday heroes who tried to thwart the looting Nazis and reveals how experts from Europe and the United States are working to recover priceless works of art missing or hidden for decades.”
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #3062 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
There was another movie (for TV) made about Alfred Hitchcock and his affair with Tippy Hedren. Here is a time lapse of Toby Jones (who also played Capote) getting his makeup done. Kind of interesting. Liked the music accompaniment. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/dec/09/alfred-hitchcock-toby-jones-video-girl

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3063 on: December 10, 2012, 11:27:22 PM »
MaryZ, that would be fascinating, and I see, looking at Amazon that there is a book of the same name.  I was trying to think of the names of some novels on that topic and the only one that comes to mind is Steve Berry's The Amber Room, which is based on the room in Russia that disappeared.

Frybabe

« Reply #3064 on: December 11, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
The Amber Room wasn't my favorite Steve Berry, but I think that has more to do with the Nazi/neo-Nazi theme.

marjifay

« Reply #3065 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
I've requested the film OUR MAN IN HAVANA (1959) from Netflix, starring Alec Guinness, Burl Ives, Ernie Kovacs and others, based on Graham Greene's novel.

I just finished Greene's novel and loved it.  It's labeled a "comic spy thriller."   It had me laughing out loud.  About a British vacuum cleaner salesmen living in Cuba during the 1950s Cold War era before their revolution,  He is reluctantly recruited as a spy by the British spy people.  Not having the slightest idea of what he's supposed to do, he accepts the monthly salary and expenses and feeds them phoney info.  Then, disturbingly, the stories he been feeding them start coming true.  Very good writing.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3066 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »
Up to my eyeballs at the moment, so haven't had time to post much.  Just popped in, however, to tell you that both daughters went to see The Hobbit last week - loved it, though Anna (who has read the book) said they added in extra bits, which were (in her opinion) superfluous and there only to stretch out the story so that they can justify squeezing two films out of it.

I've read a few interviews with Martin Freeman and he is just lovely  ;D  With a very lovely partner  :( :D

Girls and I are planning to see It's a Wonderful Life (again) on Thursday afternoon at the Edinburgh Film House - it's our little Christmas treat.

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3067 on: December 16, 2012, 08:07:36 AM »
Rosemary, they're stretching The Hobbit to three films; the remaining two are already in post-production.  I'm glad to hear a positive reaction; the critics here didn't care for it.  I'll see it soon.

Everyone here must be up to their eyeballs too.  No one is around.

Babi

« Reply #3068 on: December 16, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »
The critics evidently agree with Anna, ROSEMARY. Is it really a three-hour film? 
And that's only part of the story!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3069 on: December 16, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Yes - Madeleine went to the 3pm showing in Edinburgh yesterday and didn't get out till ten past six!  Enjoyed it though.  I'm quite sure I wouldn't  ;D

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3070 on: December 16, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »
I finely last night watched the Movie."The Rape of Europa" I think I read the book years ago. The movie Was good. They did say one thing though that cannot be right. That 90% of the Art work was found and returned to the owners or Galleries.  Many of the works that were owned by the Jewish families did  not get  returned to them.  Most of the owners were killed and would have been hard to know every piece as to who it belonged to. Some owned hundreds of painting with just a few hanging in their homes.   Records would not have been laying around.  The Nazi destroyed so much that I cant see them not giving order to have things destroyed once they knew they were loosing the war.  Makes one wonder when looking at them now in Europe  if they are now copies.  Not so much in England as ours were put away but  then available after the war end.

I did agree with the showing of the Maps that the UK had marking where they did not want the AirForce to drop the bombs in France . They Germans had done the same on England.  They had maps showing areas not to destroy Such as the Tower of London, St. Pauls. Windsor Castle or any Castle. The Palace.  Even my city of Manchester may building on the lists Was always a surprise the next day to see them with very little damage when all around them was just rubble.

Report to moderator     98.212.1

Babi

« Reply #3071 on: December 17, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »
  I didn't know that, JEANNE.  I'm glad to learn that both sides took pains to avoid
bombing some of the more historic and meaningful sites. Thanks for the post.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3072 on: December 18, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
Don't know why they do it.  To sell us newer computers I suppose.  (It works). Now I am wishing I would have bought a I Pad 2 instead of a computer. My grandson had his here yesterday and I think I would like one.
Was working on a Reader the other day. Fact 2 of them a Kindle and another name. Just not for me.  I like the IPad for reading better.
Now I am wishing I would have bought a I Pad 2 instead of a computer. My grandson had his here yesterday and I think I would like one.
Was working on a Reader the other day. Fact 2 of them a Kindle and another name. Just not for me.  I like the IPad for reading better.
Now I am wishing I would have bought a I Pad 2 instead of a computer. My grandson had his here yesterday and I think I would like one.
Was working on a Reader the other day. Fact 2 of them a Kindle and another name. Just don't like reading from them. To small, dark, and not like turning pages of a book.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3073 on: December 18, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
Opened a package from My Granddaughter today. Has Complete series of "Twenty Twelve." A BBC I have not heard off. I don't have cable TV. It has Hugh Bonneville (Dalton Abbey). She knows I like him.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3074 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »
Jeanne, I found some info about the program at http://www.bbcamerica.com/twenty-twelve/about/

“Twenty Twelve” follows the team responsible for delivering the biggest show on earth: the London Olympics. The actors and creators of some of Britain’s most iconic comedies come together in this new documentary-style comedy that is not only deliciously topical and wickedly funny but also uncannily close to real life.

Starring Hugh Bonneville (“Downton Abbey”), Jessica Hynes (“Spaced”), Olivia Colman (“Peep Show”), Amelia Bullmore (“I’m Alan Partridge”), Vincent Franklin (“The Thick of It“), and Karl Theobald (“Green Wing”) and narrated by David Tennant (“Spies of Warsaw,” “Doctor Who“)  this comedy series takes a close look at the people paddling hard beneath the water to make the Olympics happen in London 2012.

They have billions of pounds to spend and plenty of time before the deadline; so what can possibly go wrong? Well, what do you do when the much-vaunted wind turbines won’t turn because there’s no wind? And how do you cope with athletes who want to help but are just too dull? It’s all in a day’s work for the men and women whose job it is to stage the greatest sporting event in the world.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3075 on: December 18, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
Sounds funny, Looking forward to watching it.  I don't remember seeing
Hugh Bonneville in anything prior to Downton Abbey. Most probably wasn't looking for him until now.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3076 on: December 24, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
Was it in here that someone mentioned Our Man in Havana?  Many thanks! We watched it this evening, and it is a delightful movie. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3077 on: December 25, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
I will order the Movie "Our Man in Havana" Just could not stay with the book. Works that way sometimes. Most probably Enjoy the Movie.

Babi

« Reply #3078 on: December 26, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
 Me, too, JEANNE.  I didn't like the book; probably just no what I expected. Perhaps
I should have been looking for humor instead of action and drama. With that
mental adjustment, I might enjoy the  movie.

MaryPage

« Reply #3079 on: January 04, 2013, 10:47:38 PM »
Oh my goodness gracious, how to spend hours of time and not realize it has gone by!

I refer to the new electronic NEWSWEEK that came up on my iPad today,  the first since the last printed one came out last week.  Have just spent hours in it and not read or looked at all it has to offer Yet!

A lot of time, of course, was spent learning how to get around in it.  Am compelled to believe if it were in print it would be a thick as a book, what with all of the additional in depth articles and photographs and videos.  The print magazine lacked these videos.

Anyway, I am here to speak of movies, and this new Newsweek shows photos and synopses of the FIFTY (50) main movies that are scheduled for release in 2013, and of the 50 there are only FOUR (4) I would want to see!

Woe is me!  What were the 4?  Let's see if my creaky old memory will cough them up, as it were.  Well, one was the 2nd movie about The Hunger Games.  I forget the name, but if you are familiar with the books, you will know what I mean.  One was a new movie about OZ, as in The Wizard of.  Same place, different story.  I gather no Dorothy, but I am not sure.  One was the 2nd movie (there are to be 3, did you know?) about The Hobbit.  OK, that amounts to 3 movies coming up this year about books I have read and loved, though why in this world The Hobbit requires more than one movie to tell the tale properly, I cannot imagine.  Whoops, I cannot remember the 4th and last movie that made my list, but next time I find I have the time to spend time in my new electronic Newsweek, I shall report back.